The Duke of Cambridge Current Events 3: July 2018 - September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Court Circular 11th December:
Kensington Palace

The Duke of Cambridge was present at the Service of Thanksgiving for the Life of Vice Admiral Sir Donald Gosling (formerly Vice Admiral of the United Kingdom) which was held in Westminster Abbey, London SW1, today.

Engagement for Prince William today.

Today we welcomed @BAFTA President The Duke of Cambridge to meet commissioners from @BBC @SkyUK @ITV @Channel4 to discuss the challenges & opportunities in making climate change part of the cultural conversation on our TV shows. Kicking off 2020 as we mean to go on!

CC Thursday: The Duke of Cambridge this morning received Mr Malcolm White (Master of the Honourable Company of Air Pilots) and Mr Paul Tacon (Clerk).

:previous: I really enjoyed the video of Prince William using BSL today to congratulate Mr. Duguid.

What a nice little clip! You can almost see the words "I hope I'm remembering this correctly" scrolling along over the top of William's head. It looks as though he did great, and it was a lovely touch.

The best way to communicate is to talk in a language that someone understands. Its usually a comment made meaning talking to people at a *level* they can understand like with small children but in this case, it shows William caring and taking time to ensure that he could congratulate Mr. Duguid in the language he not only understands but has worked for decades to enhance communication for the deaf.

Very touching and thoughtful of William.

CC 14/1 The Duke of Cambridge, on behalf of The Queen, held an Investiture at Buckingham Palace this morning The Duke of Cambridge, Joint Patron, the Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, this afternoon attended a Meeting for the Earthshot Prize

The Duke of Cambridge Current Events 3: July 2018

What a nice little clip! You can almost see the words "I hope I'm remembering this correctly" scrolling along over the top of William's head. It looks as though he did great, and it was a lovely touch.

That was a great clip! It was very thoughtful of William to do that. Those “little things” go a long way- and are remembered.

Such a lovely gesture.

The Duke has gotten some fantastically positive feedback on social media for his efforts.

Court Circular 20th January:
Kensington Palace

The President of the Republic of Ghana called upon The Duke of Cambridge at Buckingham Palace this afternoon.

The President of the Republic of Rwanda called upon His Royal Highness at Buckingham Palace.

Court Circular 21st January:
Kensington Palace

The President of the Republic of Kenya called upon The Duke of Cambridge in the State Apartments, St. James's Palace.

The President of the Arab Republic of Egypt called upon The Duke of Cambridge at Buckingham Palace.

The President of the Republic of Uganda called upon His Royal Highness at Buckingham Palace.

Good news. I think I'm right in saying all the Queen's children have held this post at least once before, Anne has done it more if I recall correctly.

Interestingly the Lord High Commissioner holds higher precedence while in post than all but HM and Philip.

All of the Queen's children have held the position in the past 20 years (my access to the CC is limited to from 1997 onwards and all have held it in that time frame). I think Anne and maybe Charles has done it more than once in that time-frame.

It involves attending the opening and closing ceremony of the assembly, hosting various events at Holyrood and also other engagements across Scotland. I think Edward did it in 2016 and did around 40 engagements during the week (along with Sophie). No doubt there will be a lot more coverage of the assembly week this year as a result of this appointment.

I hope Catherine goes with him, Sophie went with Edward. There’s usually a lot of other engagements done during these days around Scotland.
https://hrhthecountessofwessex.word...sex-attend-first-day-of-the-general-assembly/
https://hrhthecountessofwessex.word...oul-2014-attended-by-earl-countess-of-wessex/
https://hrhthecountessofwessex.word...untess-of-wessex-visit-dumfries-and-galloway/
https://hrhthecountessofwessex.word...visit-to-the-isle-of-lewis-the-isle-of-barra/

Queen’s children have all done it:
Charles 2000
Andrew 2007
Edward 2014
Anne 1996 & 2017

Usually,
The person appointed to the role is a Scottish figure, whose appointment is based on merit and their contribution to society.
For example, The Duke of Buccleuch and Queensbury in 2018.

Also:
The Lord High Commissioner makes opening and closing addresses to the General Assembly and reports to Her Majesty on its proceedings. For the duration of the General Assembly, the Sovereign grants the Lord High Commissioner permission to reside at the Palace of Holyroodhouse and, during this time, His or Her Grace receives a Guard of Honour, a 21-Gun Salute and the keys to the City of Edinburgh. It is also customary for the Lord High Commissioner to invite distinguished guests to stay at the Palace, and to offer hospitality to Commissioners to the Assembly and those who have contributed to public life in Scotland.

During the week of the Assembly, the Lord High Commissioner attends the Assembly to observe the debates. He or she also carries out a programme of engagements to reflect the work of charities and the Church. For instance, Sir George Reid, Scottish politician and former Presiding Officer, who was appointed in 2010 and 2011, used his programme to celebrate the work of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent. In 2012 and 2013, Lord Hope of Craighead, formerly Scotland's most senior Supreme Court judge, undertook a programme of visits that highlighted themes of justice and inclusion.
https://www.royal.uk/lord-high-commissioner-general-assembly-church-scotland

Last edited:
I imagine Catherine will be right by William's side through all of this during the events of the General Assembly.

William is really (and rightfully) coming into his own and will do his grandmother and Queen proud.

Congratulations to Prince William. This is marvelous

Great news! I think William will do well in this role, hopefully with Kate joining him most of the time.

Is there a reason they referred to him as Prince William in the announcement, instead of either The Duke of Cambridge or his Scottish title, (The Earl of something that has slipped my mind)?

It isn't that hard a role to fulfill for a royal - make a couple of speeches, host a couple of dinners/receptions and make some visits - in other words - it is the day to day work of the royals, just with a fancy title.

In two years time someone else will do it.

I imagine Catherine will be right by William's side through all of this during the events of the General Assembly.

William is really (and rightfully) coming into his own and will do his grandmother and Queen proud.

He will. He’s being trained and guided by the most experienced hands in the business, lol...and he has the same commitment to duty and service that his grandmother and father have.

William will spend the 16th - 22nd May in Edinburgh as Lord High Commissioner of the General Assembly. He’ll reside at Holyroodhouse, where he’ll receive a guard of honour, a 21 gun salute & the keys of the City of Edinburgh.

William will spend the 16th - 22nd May in Edinburgh as Lord High Commissioner of the General Assembly. He’ll reside at Holyroodhouse, where he’ll receive a guard of honour, a 21 gun salute & the keys of the City of Edinburgh.

George and Charlotte will be in school that week. So Catherine may be in London for much of the week.

Court Circular 30th January:
Kensington Palace

The Duke of Cambridge this morning visited All Saints Primary School, 4 Oakfield, Liverpool.

Court Circular 13th February:
Kensington Palace

The Duke of Cambridge this morning received Mr Alastair Martin (Secretary of the Duchy of Cornwall).

Court Circular 25th February:
Buckingham Palace

The Duke of Cambridge, on behalf of The Queen, held an Investiture at Buckingham Palace this morning.

Court Circular 26th February:
Kensington Palace

The Duke of Cambridge this morning visited Tarmac’s National Skills and Safety Park, Nether Langwith, and was received by Her Majesty’s Lord-Lieutenant of Nottinghamshire (Sir John Peace).

His Royal Highness afterwards visited the Beacon Project, Wood Street, Mansfield.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom