The Duke of Cambridge Current Events 3: July 2018 - September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a video of HRH The Duke of Cambridge in Mansfield today.

Visit to the Tarmac's New Centre in Nottinghamshire

Here's a video of HRH The Duke of Cambridge in Mansfield today.

William's dedication to the plight of the homeless is admirable. He knows how to connect with the most vulnerable people & is very knowledgeable about the issues too. His mother would be so proud of him.

William's dedication to the plight of the homeless is admirable. He knows how to connect with the most vulnerable people & is very knowledgeable about the issues too. His mother would be so proud of him.

I know she would be too. He's very much a person that cares deeply about people and their well being. He really found his work in and SAR as an air ambulance pilot fulfilling and that's a job that can be quite stressful.

This aspect of William, to me, perhaps is the best king-in-training roles he has. I hate to sound cliche but it serves to forming a "people's king". ?

I know she would be too. He's very much a person that cares deeply about people and their well being. He really found his work in and SAR as an air ambulance pilot fulfilling and that's a job that can be quite stressful.

This aspect of William, to me, perhaps is the best king-in-training roles he has. I hate to sound cliche but it serves to forming a "people's king". ?

Don’t underestimate how important that common touch is. The British expected George VI and Queen Elizabeth to send their two girls out of London for safety’s sake during the Blitz. They didn’t. They stayed as a family, and it was when the royal couple suffered the bombing at Buckingham Palace, and went out into the devastated city to greet the people, that the public truly grew to love them. I’m sure the Queen Mother filled Charles’ ears with stories of such devotion to the people, and I’m sure Charles passed those stories onto William and Harry. No doubt he’s pretty proud of naughty Wills also, lol

The Duke of Cambridge, President, the Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust, this morning held a Meeting via telephone with Ms Caroline Palmer (Chief Executive).

- Court Circular ll 31 March 2020

Don’t underestimate how important that common touch is. The British expected George VI and Queen Elizabeth to send their two girls out of London for safety’s sake during the Blitz. They didn’t. They stayed as a family, and it was when the royal couple suffered the bombing at Buckingham Palace, and went out into the devastated city to greet the people, that the public truly grew to love them. I’m sure the Queen Mother filled Charles’ ears with stories of such devotion to the people, and I’m sure Charles passed those stories onto William and Harry. No doubt he’s pretty proud of naughty Wills also, lol

Indeed. Non showy, no drama, not preachy & not fake. Ticks all those boxes admirably.

There was a lot of talk in the papers over the last few days that William wanted to volunteer his services as an air ambulance pilot. I don't know how true that actually is or whether it would be at all feasible. Or end up being/seeming more of a short lived PR stunt but it was interesting.

I am sure that he wishes he could, but I don't know if he has kept up with his flyinghours.

Court Circular 9th April:
Kensington Palace

The Duke of Cambridge this afternoon held a Meeting via video link with the Moorlands Community Charity, Goole, East Riding of Yorkshire, who have received funding from the National Emergencies Trust coronavirus appeal.

His Royal Highness afterwards held a Meeting via video link with Dal Dy Dir, near Newtown, Powys, who have received funding from the National Emergencies Trust coronavirus appeal.

That has always been the story but not 100% accurate. The girls were largely at Windsor particularly in the Blitz. It entered myth because people said they should be evacuated to Canada hence the famous saying from the Queen Mother.

The Duke of Cambridge has written a letter to the Moderator of the Church of Scotland:

The Duke of Cambridge had been appointed Lord High Commissioner to the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland 2020 by The Queen, and had been due to attend the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland on behalf of the Sovereign in May before its cancellation due to Covid-19.

That has always been the story but not 100% accurate. The girls were largely at Windsor particularly in the Blitz. It entered myth because people said they should be evacuated to Canada hence the famous saying from the Queen Mother.

You are right not Buckingham palace but only approx 25 miles from London. Like other children they were evacuated. Was that not the point of the radio address with Princess Margaret by her side.

I think even then weekends were spent at Windsor.

You are right not Buckingham palace but only approx 25 miles from London. Like other children they were evacuated. Was that not the point of the radio address with Princess Margaret by her side.

In those days it was a lot further. Greater London as we know it did not exist until post WWII. And transport links were not what they are.

It was not the same thing at all. Of course now Windsor is more a suburb.

They had fancy evacuation.

Hmmm. but one should not forget, that Hitler's rockets were not very exact.

I learned the most of my certified "upper intermediate" English just south, but outside of London. And my Landlord told me, the house of his neighbour was destroyed by a German rocket.

They had no GPS back then...

Hmmm. but one should not forget, that Hitler's rockets were not very exact.

I learned the most of my certified "upper intermediate" English just south, but outside of London. And my Landlord told me, the house of his neighbour was destroyed by a German rocket.

They had no GPS back then...

The nearest village (Shoreham) to me outside of the suburbs where I live was bombed during the war, because Hitler's luftwaffe were aiming for the city centre/inner London but missed a few miles. It's probably just over half an hour away from central London. Children were at first evacuated there because Shoreham is in the countryside, and many stayed towards the end of the war but some were sent home or elsewhere because their parents back home thought it was too unsafe. I spoke to one elderly gentleman in the war museum who had lived in the village since childhood and said that he used to collect bits of rubble he found locally.

The nearest village (Shoreham) to me outside of the suburbs where I live was bombed during the war, because Hitler's luftwaffe were aiming for the city centre/inner London but missed a few miles. It's probably just over half an hour away from central London. Children were at first evacuated there because Shoreham is in the countryside, and many stayed towards the end of the war but some were sent home or elsewhere because their parents back home thought it was too unsafe. I spoke to one elderly gentleman in the war museum who had lived in the village since childhood and said that he used to collect bits of rubble he found locally.

That's interesting. There were all sorts of places you would not have expected bombs/V1,V2s to land but war is unpredictable. Windsor was not left unscathed. The infamous Baedeker raids targeted cultural sites like Bath & Cambridge among others. There was a notorious incident when a German bomber enroute home jettisoned its bombs over the bucolic West Sussex town of Petworth. They landed on a school killing 32 boys. So really very few places were safe in modern total war.

Back on topic, all credit to those who got this hospital up & running. They are proof that the people of this generation, as HM said, are as fine as those that have gone before. Bravo!

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing this news. It's incredible how quickly the 2 Nightingale hospitals have been constructed to aid patients in regions throughout the UK.

There’s more than two, the one in Manchester opened this weekend but unlike Birmingham and London, that one is for aftercare.

The one in Harrogate is also due to open soon.

There’s more than two, the one in Manchester opened this weekend but unlike Birmingham and London, that one is for aftercare.

The one in Harrogate is also due to open soon.

Yes, I'm feeling a bit left out that London and Birmingham both got royal openings but the one at G-Mex didn't!

Yes, I'm feeling a bit left out that London and Birmingham both got royal openings but the one at G-Mex didn't!

Right in the centre of town then. I had no idea.

BTW does anyone know why the royal family channel still have joy to the world as its end jingle? It's like forever Chrismas.:lol:

A-ha - Camilla has now officially opened the Manchester Nightingale Hospital!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom