The Duke of Cambridge as President of The BAFTA 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the 'choice' if foisted upon you [even by 'Peer pressure'], it is NO choice at all.. it is 'sheep mentality' and demeaning to the participants, and women in general...

Last edited:
I like the dress, LOVE the jewels.

I know Ill get jumped on for saying this. However, standing up against sexual violence is NOT making a political statement anymore than Charles and co working against climate change is. I think it was in extremely bad taste for her to show up in non-black. If the politics was too much to deal with, she should have just not come. The black dress code was announced before their attendance was.

She was damned if she do, damned if she don't. Personally I support #TimesUp and don't understand how any female couldn't be against sexual harassment and assault. But it's one's own choice to decide that and it is Kate's right to not want to associate with the movement. She made her stance so now a new conversation will be had because of it.

That said, she looks lovely. Crazy to think she will be having the baby soon.

She was damned if she do, damned if she don't. Personally I support #TimesUp and don't understand how any female couldn't be against sexual harassment and assault. But it's one's own choice to decide that and it is Kate's right to not want to associate with the movement. She made her stance so now a new conversation will be had because of it.

That said, she looks lovely. Crazy to think she will be having the baby soon.

I don’t think anyone supports sexual harassment and assault. But how does wearing a certain colour dress indicate that?

As many people on Twitter pointed out, if The Queen was there she certainly wouldn’t have worn black, does that mean she doesn’t support women?

Leave the hashtag movements to celebrities.

I don’t think anyone supports sexual harassment and assault. But how does wearing a certain colour dress indicate that?

As many people on Twitter pointed out, if The Queen was there she certainly wouldn’t have worn black, does that mean she doesn’t support women?

Leave the hashtag movements to celebrities.

She was at an event riddled with celebrities. Sitting among them knowing before she announced her attendance what it was going to be about. She getting this feedback knowing full well of her decision. She a woman and has a young daughter. I don't judge Kate. I don't think she against the movement nor doesn't support it. I get the royal viewpoint but I also understand the reaction she is receiving as well especially from those who already have dodgey views of the monarchy.

:previous: Yes, she's sitting among celebrities that are wearing black, yet still work with the likes of Mel Gibson, Woody Allen and James Franco.

The movement is so much more than the color of a gown and it's unfortunate that folks are spending so much time worrying about who is and isn't wearing black to an event. I'd rather focus on the abusers and not the women who choose not to wear a certain color.

^^^ And those actors getting fired, dropped, and called out as well. I actually agree with you. The focus should be the helping and supporting victims and the abuses being punished while taking actions to prevent these things from happening.

I'm just saying you can't be surprised when an entire room comes together in solidarity that the ones who purposely avoid it are being called out. We knew it would happen regardless of her color choice.

We see royals wear wristbands and poppies. They have taken stands on things. So this wouldn't have been that much of a stretch. I think that's the argument on the other side. It is what it is though.

Kate looked great in her green and looking forward to her dress tomorrow as well.

Sorry the optics look bad on Kate on various levels:

1) Kate has worn black evening gowns as a royal duchess so the protocol argument doesn't work.

2) If Meghan came to BAFTA wearing a colored dress she would have been dragged for days because she was once an actress. Higher standards for the bride of the soon to be sixth in line to the throne and not a future queen?

3) Camilla has supported wash kits for rape victims and I think it's;still one of her causes. Kate can't put on a black gown?

One or all mentioned above could be why others are dragging Kate. For me, this was a land mine that should have been thought out more. DM had to point out the black accent they knew this was going to be a problem. The situation makes Kate look tone deaf.

Last edited:
3) Camilla has supported wash kits for rape victims and I think it's;still one of her causes. Kate can't put on a black gown?

One or all mentioned above could be why others are dragging Kate. For me, this was a land mine that should have thought it out. If DM had to point out the black accent they knew this was going to be a problem. The situation makes Kate look tone deaf.

Indeed, Camilla has been a strong supporter of domestic abuse and sexual crime victims. Its not a popular cause, but one happy a senior royal has taken on. Its not 'political', its just not Popular.

http://www.chatelaine.com/living/camilla-duchess-of-cornwall/

And agreed, this isn't some bully attack on Kate. Any royal woman would have faced the same talk. And I agree, because she is an actress, Meghan would likely have faced much worse.

Last edited:
BAFTA winner Allison Janney had this to say about Catherine

“I would never judge anyone's choice of clothing. She looked absolutely beautiful and I'm so happy for them that she's pregnant again. She's an extraordinary woman. And she can wear whatever she wants.”

:previous: Yes, she's sitting among celebrities that are wearing black, yet still work with the likes of Mel Gibson, Woody Allen and James Franco.

The movement is so much more than the color of a gown and it's unfortunate that folks are spending so much time worrying about who is and isn't wearing black to an event. I'd rather focus on the abusers and not the women who choose not to wear a certain color.

Yes, and James Franco actually wore a Times Up pin on the red carpet. And Woody Allen has been a known pedophile for years, who they were all thrilled to work with and pose on the red carpet with. Not to mention all those pearl-clutchers who go and buy tickets for Polanski’s and Allen’s films:sick:.
It’s a hypocrisy movement.

We see royals wear wristbands and poppies. So this wouldn't have been that much of a stretch.

The poppies are sold by soldiers for soldiers, and The Queen is the head of the Armed Forces. Totally not the same thing.

Last edited:
When you start dogging a person because they don't wear what you think they should wear then yes it's bullying. She and every other woman are free to wear whatever color dress they want. You can disagree and that's fine...however the attacking her over it is crossing a line.

LaRae

I'm just saying you can't be surprised when an entire room comes together in solidarity that the ones who purposely avoid it are being called out. We knew it would happen regardless of her color choice.

But my point is why should they be called out? There are many ways to support the movement and someone shouldn't be shamed for not wearing black. Anyone can put on a black dress/suit and a Times Up pin and pretend to support the movement, but what steps are they actually taking to help?

At the Golden Globes, the entire room stood up and applauded Kirk Douglas (despite the allegations against him), so wearing black means nothing if you're still going to turn a blind eye to abuse.

It doesn't follow that the black dress code was announced before her dress plans had been made for the night, however.

It's Jenny Packham, likely bespoke, which means the dress was designed and the fabric was purchased, cut, and fitted a while back.

So if you're Kate, and you've just spent thousands of pounds on a bespoke gown, how do you justify having a *second* bespoke gown made, when you're 7 months pregnant in what's very likely to be your last pregnancy?

I agree hel. IMO since it is a darker color and paired with black trim and accessories this makes it an appropriate choice for a woman in third trimester maternity.

When you start dogging a person because they don't wear what you think they should wear then yes it's bullying. She and every other woman are free to wear whatever color dress they want. You can disagree and that's fine...however the attacking her over it is crossing a line.

LaRae

THIS, so much this.

If Catherine, or Angelina Jolie or Helen Mirren or anyone else wants to wear a purple/yellow/white dress it’s their CHOICE and NO ONE has the right to judge them for it. Every woman should have the right to choose what she wears, be it a black gown or a pink bikini.

P.S.
Just to point out, there were a couple of actresses who didn’t wear black at the Golden Globes and they got a lot of backlash and were bullied on-line for it.

Last edited:
The black accents are intentional. She's opted for the most neutral dress she could wear, like damn.

And I have a problem with other women being bullied into wearing something they might not be comfortable with. It's unfair and not to mention not at all what the movement of #MeToo is about. Not a single man is being pressured into doing more, yet Kate is being pressured into doing more for something she can't even say anything about in the first place? I sometimes can't with people. I'm all for political activism and I was one of the ones who said she should wear black to avoid a sh*tstorm, but anyone looking for a political stance from anyone within the BRF is deluded.

Sorry the optics look bad on Kate on various levels:

1) Kate has worn black evening gowns as a royal duchess so the protocol argument doesn't work.

2) If Meghan came to BAFTA wearing a colored dress she would have been dragged for days because she was once an actress. Higher standards for the bride of the soon to be sixth in line to the throne and not a future queen?

One or all mentioned above could be why others are dragging Kate. For me, this was a land mine that should have thought it out. If DM had to point out the black accent they knew this was going to be a problem. The situation makes Kate look tone deaf.

I agree. Catherine wearing dark green is a major social problem, it's what makes the BRF look tone-deaf. Certainly not the BRF's continued support of Andrew, that's not a problem. I'm glad we're pointing fingers at women instead of accused men, makes me proud to be a feminist.

But my point is why should they be called out? There are many ways to support the movement and someone shouldn't be shamed for not wearing black. Anyone can put on a black dress/suit and a Times Up pin and pretend to support the movement, but what steps are they actually taking to help?

At the Golden Globes, the entire room stood up and applauded Kirk Douglas (despite the allegations against him), so wearing black means nothing if you're still going to turn a blind eye to abuse.

We are hypocrites as a whole. No denial there. And I agree people shouldn't be called out for making their rightful choices. Just not shocked she is because of who she is. Not saying it's right. The royal family will be under the microscope more than ever now with HM being the age she is. They will be judge about everything because many question their relevance, so stuff like this heightens it.

And I have a problem with other women being bullied into wearing something they might not be comfortable with. It's unfair and not to mention not at all what the movement of #MeToo is about. Not a single man is being pressured into doing more, yet Kate is being pressured into doing more for something she can't even say anything about in the first place? I sometimes can't with people. I'm all for political activism and I was one of the ones who said she should wear black to avoid a sh*tstorm, but anyone looking for a political stance from anyone within the BRF is deluded.

I completely agree with this. There were some other actresses and actors who were not physically supporting the movement via clothing, yet nobody (as far as I am aware) seems to have hurled hate at them - and they are in a position to make political statements, since they don't have the disadvantage that Catherine does in it not being preferable for her to make political statements. Furthermore, Catherine wore a black belt, and so she is showing her support for the movement. She should have the right to wear what she wants without being abused about it by the militant feminists who criticise her on social media about it. Because that's not feminism - that's not treating Catherine the same as everyone else.

I, for one, really like Catherine's gown. The colour is gorgeous and she looks glowing.

Good God, people sharing their opinions is not bullying. Why is it that anytime someone dares to critique Catherine, its akin to bullying?

IMO, her and KP judged this wrong. Doesn't make her an awful person, but it does some a serious lack of understanding IMO which happens to every one in the public eye on occasion even Catherine.

Also, "whataboutism" is gross. Just because some people don't live up to their proclaimed values doesn't excuse the tone deafness of the Cambridges. These people are being dragged way more than the Cambridges all one needs to do is go to twitter or other spaces to see that. So no, people are not ONLY targeting the Cambridges while excusing hollywood. As this is a royal board, people are commenting on the royal in question and her fashion choice or lackthereof.

I should also say that if William gives his usual speech and makes no acknowledgement of the issue, I think that is an even bigger issue than the dress.

Last edited:
Good God, people sharing their opinions is not bullying. Why is it that anytime someone dares to critique Catherine, its akin to bullying?

IMO, her and KP judged this wrong. Doesn't make her an awful person, but it does some a serious lack of understanding IMO which happens to every one in the public eye on occasion even Saint Catherine.

Also, "whataboutism" is gross. Just because some people don't live up to their proclaimed values doesn't excuse the tone deafness of the Cambridges. These people are being dragged way more than the Cambridges all one needs to do is go to twitter or other spaces to see that. So no, people are not ONLY targeting the Cambridges while excusing hollywood.

I can't speak for everyone but of course we're all allowed to share our opinions, and are free to be critical of others in a respectful way - though personally attacking Catherine (or anyone, for that matter) is not respectful and not representing feminism, IMO. There's a difference between respectful criticism and bullying (which is attacks etc) and I personally was focusing on those who have attacked her on all areas of social media.

I can't speak for everyone but of course we're all allowed to share our opinions, and are free to be critical of others in a respectful way - though personally attacking Catherine (or anyone, for that matter) is not respectful and not representing feminism, IMO. There's a difference between respectful criticism and bullying (which is attacks etc) and I personally was focusing on those who have attacked her on all areas of social media.

Where has anyone on this forum personally attacked Catherine? People have critiqued her fashion choice, but no one is saying she is a bad person or supports sexual assault.

What happens outside the forum isn't germane. But for what its worth, I have seen people express disappointment on social media, but hardly attacked Catherine.

I know this is getting OT. I have said my part so I will just bow out.

Where has anyone on this forum personally attacked Catherine? People have critiqued her fashion choice, but no one is saying she is a bad person or supports sexual assault.

What happens outside the forum isn't germane. But for what its worth, I have seen people express disappointment on social media, but hardly attacked Catherine.

I know this is getting OT. I have said my part so I will just bow out.

I wasn't talking about on this forum. I was talking about other social media networks such as Twitter, etc. On this forum people have been respectful.

Please don't interpret my post like that, I wasn't criticising anyone on here. I'm not one of those people who doesn't like any criticisms of her, since we are all allowed to share our opinions. Again, my post wasn't meant in that way and even if you have bowed out I hope you can read this and understand where I'm coming from. I'm not a crazy "please don't attack her!!!" person. If you read my post properly you will have noticed that I said "social media" and I do not classify this forum as social media, personally.

Last edited:
To just show you how ridiculous all of this, you wear black you condemn sexual abuse, don’t wear black and you’re supporting sexual abuse?

I’m really happy Catherine didn’t wear black. Leave the virtue signalling to others.

Also, "whataboutism" is gross. Just because some people don't live up to their proclaimed values doesn't excuse the tone deafness of the Cambridges.

Sure, but I also find it gross that there has been so much focus on what celebs are wearing. This movement is about the survivors of sexual assault/harassment, not who wore what on the the red carpet. So I couldn't care less if a celeb shows up in a black outfit and don't think Kate is out of touch for choosing not to wear black.

Last edited:
To just show you how ridiculous all of this, you wear black you condemn sexual abuse, don’t wear black and you’re supporting sexual abuse?

I’m really happy Catherine didn’t wear black. Leave the virtue signalling to others.

I don't think anything is saying she supports abuse because she wore green. That's a little extreme and honestly in the same vein as the criticism against her.

I agree. Catherine wearing dark green is a major social problem, it's what makes the BRF look tone-deaf. Certainly not the BRF's continued support of Andrew, that's not a problem. I'm glad we're pointing fingers at women instead of accused men, makes me proud to be a feminist.

You are glad that people are pointing fingers? I’m sorry but if that makes you a feminist then I wouldn’t name myself a feminist.

Any woman can wear whatever they want. To ‘point fingers’ at someone because they made their own choice of clothing is one of the least feminist things I can imagine.

Imagine a world where women built themselves up instead of telling each other what to do, wear, say etc. This whole debacle over a dress makes a joke of feminism.

Then the colour of a dress shouldn’t matter. I know Catherine supports victims of sexual harassment.

She doesn’t need to wear black to ‘prove’ it to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom