The Duke of Cambridge as President of The BAFTA 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to be grumpy, but I thought that was very rude of Brad Pitt, especially as he wasn't even there to deliver the "jokes" in person. William and Kate handled it very well, but he was trying to provoke a reaction and there was no need for it. Why can't people just accept awards, say thank you very much, and have done, instead of making awkward jokes or political statements?!

I totally 100% agree. You don't need to be an empath to see that the Harry situation was and is a painful one for William and his family.

And I am disappointed with Brad Pitt, he usually behaves with more dignity.

But...it's Hollywood after all.:whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he should have kept his mouth shut about the diversity thing. When he criticised a 'lack of diversity' he was saying what this phrase really means which is that worthier candidates were overlooked in being nominated for an award because they were female or were not white. It's a serious accusation for him to level at BAFTA and unless he can prove it he should have kept his mouth shut. However if he felt that he really needed to mention it it should have been in private and to the relevant people. He shouldn't be standing there criticising an organisation of which he is President like that.

Last edited:
I think he should have kept his mouth shut about the diversity thing. When he criticised a 'lack of diversity' he was saying what this phrase really means which is that worthier candidates were overlooked in being nominated for an award because they were female or were not white. It's a serious accusation for him to level at BAFTA and unless he can prove it he should have kept his mouth shut. However if he felt that he really needed to mention it it should have been in private and to the relevant people. He shouldn't be standing there criticising an organisation of which he is President like that.

The lack of diversity is obvious when one looks at the nominees and winners. It is a fact. It is a criticism being levelled at many entertainment awards organizations. I suspect BAFTA execs knew what William was going to say.

The lack of diversity is obvious when one looks at the nominees and winners. It is a fact. It is a criticism being levelled at many entertainment awards organizations. I suspect BAFTA execs knew what William was going to say.

To say the nominees were selected because of their gender and race is to say that BAFTA is a racist and misogynistic organisation and there is no foundation for that, you can't just come out and say such a thing without proof. We'll get to a point soon where there will have to be a quota of certain types of people being nominated for awards resulting in more worthy candidates being overlooked just to please the PC brigade.

To say the nominees were selected because of their gender and race is to say that BAFTA is a racist and misogynistic organisation and there is no foundation for that, you can't just come out and say such a thing without proof. We'll get to a point soon where there will have to be a quota of certain types of people being nominated for awards resulting in more worthy candidates being overlooked just to please the PC brigade.

It's got nothing to do with the PC brigade, and all to do with fantastic actresses, actors and musicians missing out on award nominations this year especially. This is the year where BAFTA nominated the same actress in the same category for two films where she was frankly appalling. Considering the other fantastic actresses who had stunning performances this year, there was no reason to nominate Robbie twice. Plus this isn't just my opinion, it's an opinion shared by many out there in the real world.

The foundation for calling, frankly all awarding bodies both racist and sexist, is in their published nominations both this year and previous years.

William did right by calling out the lack of diversity, it takes big voices to make big changes.

Court Circular 2nd February:
Kensington Palace

The Duke of Cambridge, President, British Academy of Film and Television Arts, and The Duchess of Cambridge this evening attended the British Academy of Film and Television Arts Awards at the Royal Albert Hall, Kensington Gore, London SW7, and were received by Her Majesty’s Lord-Lieutenant of Greater London (Sir Kenneth Olisa).

It was rude, pointless, and gutless, since he didn't even have the courage to deliver it himself, but it also doesn't reflect well on the person who chose to read the "joke."

If I was the person, I would have chuckled and said I wouldn't read some of Brad's jokes then added "naughty Brad!". Because he also put the reader in a awkward situation.

It was also weird to come from Brad. Had it been a comedian, one whose known for current event and cultural humor, then it wouldn't have been so "cringe". But Brad isn't a comedian. He also has a rather messy personal life, so I'm surprised he approves of those kind of potshots.

I do feel sorry for the Cambridges that the behavior of Andrew and the Sussexes has put them in the position of having to smile at family-directed jabs lest they be seen as poor sports on national television.

It's got nothing to do with the PC brigade, and all to do with fantastic actresses, actors and musicians missing out on award nominations this year especially. This is the year where BAFTA nominated the same actress in the same category for two films where she was frankly appalling. Considering the other fantastic actresses who had stunning performances this year, there was no reason to nominate Robbie twice. Plus this isn't just my opinion, it's an opinion shared by many out there in the real world.

The foundation for calling, frankly all awarding bodies both racist and sexist, is in their published nominations both this year and previous years.

William did right by calling out the lack of diversity, it takes big voices to make big changes.

I disagree but your entitled to your opinion.

I do feel sorry for the Cambridges that the behavior of Andrew and the Sussexes has put them in the position of having to smile at family-directed jabs lest they be seen as poor sports on national television.

I do too. The “jokes” seemed inappropriate to me. These have been very public, and no doubt, painful events in their family. And to have to sit through jokes on both subjects seems very unkind on the part of the speakers.

Regarding William’s comments on diversity, best I could tell, he was commenting on what apparently is already being much discussed. He didn’t so much as bring up the subject as much as addressed the complaints. And he’s the president of BAFTA.

William did the right thing to call out the diversity issues. There are many fantastic performances from people of color that were overlooked. One is the lady who played Harriet, who received Oscar nod but not BAFTA.

What did he do/say?

Oh, let me think. He said something along the lines of he was going to name the award "Harry" because it was going back to America with him. He said some other things as well. Drunk Brad's not as clever as he thinks he is.

I thought Will and Kate handled it as best as they could.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm sick and tired of people branding others who are spreading awareness of being "part of the PC brigade" :bang: You only have to look at the nominees to notice that there's a lack of diversity - William was just stating an important truth and it's not his or anyone else's problem other than your own that it bothers you. As an influential figure I actually think it's good of him to point such a prevalent issue out. 2019 was actually a great year for diversity in film but the BAFTAs reflects otherwise. I had more of a problem with Brad Pitt's remarks than William's.

Sorry for being harsh, but I'm just fed up of people with a more conservative viewpoint branding everything they don't like as being "PC nonsense". This is a large part of the reason why we don't have progress when it comes to these issues.

Last edited:
I'm sick and tired of people branding others who are spreading awareness of being "part of the PC brigade" :bang: You only have to look at the nominees to notice that there's a lack of diversity - William was just stating an important truth and it's not his or anyone else's problem other than your own that it bothers you. As an influential figure I actually think it's good of him to point such a prevalent issue out. 2019 was actually a great year for diversity in film but the BAFTAs reflects otherwise. I had more of a problem with Brad Pitt's remarks than William's.

Sorry for being harsh, but I'm just fed up of people with a more conservative viewpoint branding everything they don't like as being "PC nonsense". This is a large part of the reason why we don't have progress when it comes to these issues.

I don't have a 'problem' I have my opinion to which I am entitled and I have acknowledged that other posters are entitled to there's as is Prince William. Perhaps though, if PW feels that BAFTA are behaving in such a discriminatory way, he might want to distance himself from them by relinquishing his presidency.

Last edited:
Perhaps though, if PW feels that BAFTA are behaving in such a discriminatory way, he might want to distance himself from them by relinquishing his presidency.

Doubtful, considering he quoted BAFTA CEO and Chair in his speech. Perhaps William is actually working with his patronage in doing something about the lack of diversity on offer...

I don't have a 'problem' I have my opinion to which I am entitled and I have acknowledged that other posters are entitled to there's as is Prince William. Perhaps though, if PW feels that BAFTA are behaving in such a discriminatory way, he might want to distance himself from them by relinquishing his presidency.

You are indeed entitled to your opinion but may I remind you of what you wrote:

You didn’t acknowledge at all that William was entitled to his opinion or that what he was doing was actually beneficial, which was where my problem lied. If you have acknowledged this I wouldn’t have reacted in such a way. (Saying that he should have done it in private is not acknowledging the validness of William’s statement IMO, because nobody would’ve heard it outside those circles).

The Prince of Wales as President of The BAFTA 2: Sep 2022 -

It's time to close this thread. You can find the new one here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom