The Duke of Cambridge as President of The BAFTA 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actions and deeds speak louder than a dress colour. Many of Kate’s engagements focus on women.

She has a visited a women’s prison. Many of her mental health visits highlight women.

Just next week she has an engagement tackling the stigma around women’s health

“We very much look forward to welcoming The Duchess of Cambridge to the RCOG later this month. Her Royal Highness will hear about our programmes to reduce maternal and newborn mortality worldwide, and will join a roundtable discussion on tackling the stigma around women's health.”

Via Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists Twitter

Kate’s record speaks for itself

Last edited:
It doesn't when not even half of the public really knows about it.

I agree Rudolph..what she has done and continues to do says far more than wearing a black dress at one event.

LaRae

Kate must still be getting dragged for the green dress because Daily Mail just put out a story saying her $ (£) 1M emerald necklace she wore is her way of supporting Time's Up, a symbol of hope. DM is not helping here; the story reeks of damage control. Kate chose to wear the gown; she just needs to own it.

the story reeks of damage control. Kate chose to wear the gown; she just needs to own it.

Since when has the DM been an 'instrument of the Palace' ? The DM doesn't receive instructions from them..

The Duchess did 'own it'.. in a GREEN Packham gown.. She did not and WILL not 'virtue signal' to please ANY activist group, no matter what.

Last edited:
OK. Call me behind the times. Call me ignorant. Call me anything but late to dinner but it would have been nice if the article containing this poll had gone a bit further and explained exactly what Times Up in the entertainment industry is.

Not everyone follows to the letter what entertainment folks are up to these days. :D

Can I buy a clue?

I think most people know celebrities live in their own hypocritical bubble.

Reducing the serious matter of sexual abuse to what colour dress you wear undermines everything.

Hollywood ignored the issue for decades and now all of a sudden it demands everyone must wear black or you’re ostracised.

Meryl Streep wears black while praising rapist Roman Polanski.

As the 88 percent say, Kate was right not to wear black

Last edited:
OK. Call me behind the times. Call me ignorant. Call me anything but late to dinner but it would have been nice if the article containing this poll had gone a bit further and explained exactly what Times Up in the entertainment industry is.

Not everyone follows to the letter what entertainment folks are up to these days. :D

Can I buy a clue?

It’s the movement that’s emerged in the wake of the allegations against Harvey Weinstein becoming widely known. The movement is shedding light on the sexual abuse and harassment rampant within Hollywood; some big names, including Weinstein, Kevin Spacey, and Dustin Hoffman, have faces some fairly serious accusations.

It is linked to the bigger Me Too movement, which is addressing the fact that most women (and many men) have stories of being sexually harassed in all walks of life.

I think it’s a really great movement at it’s core, although it’s not without flaws. There are some who are making up accusations; there are others who are exaggerating bad behaviour. There is also hypocrisy - people like Weinstein and Spacey are being lambasted and have lost their jobs because of the accusations, but others like Kirk Douglas and James Franco are being praised for their work, despite similar allegations.

Thanks for the explanation, Rudolph. From the little I know now, it seems that this whole "wear black" thing is a hallmark of sheeple. Following the herd mentality of a brain fart someone had. :D

Glad to know that Kate is above that kind of mentality and wears what she pleases.

There is a growing concern in all walks of life that those with "power" use various methods to dominate and subjugate other human beings and the work being done to correct all of this is a good one. Personally, I think the way the younger royals are addressing these issues through concerns like Heads Together, antibullying campaigns and several other endeavors will garner much more results than wearing a certain color.

I do have to admit to not following all of this overly much. I had heard of Harvey Weinstein and had him confused with Anthony Weiner. Then again, these days, there isn't that much difference between Hollywood and Politics. :D

Last edited:
Kate must still be getting dragged for the green dress because Daily Mail just put out a story saying her $ (£) 1M emerald necklace she wore is her way of supporting Time's Up, a symbol of hope. DM is not helping here; the story reeks of damage control. Kate chose to wear the gown; she just needs to own it.

The emerald movement started before Kate wore them for BAFTA--story about emeralds worn at the Golden Globes--

https://www.wmagazine.com/story/emerald-jewelry-golden-globes-2018-red-carpet

What it all sounds like to me is other people's meanings being put on a person very much in the limelight in order to further their cause.

We have no clue of what Kate's motives and intents were behind what she decided to wear and to try and put meanings into it that someone else may see is just drumming up sensationalistic reporting that has absolutely nothing really to do with Kate, herself.

Unless there is something that actively proves beyond a reasonable doubt that Kate is behind this solidarity color movement, I'm leaning towards viewing it as the bird cage liner reporting that is more and more the norm these days. :D

You can be against sexual abuse and not be on board with Times Up and it’s clothing dictates.

One of the leading virtue signallers of Times Up, Natalie Portman, signed a letter of support in 2009 for rapist Roman Polanski.

The hypocrisy knows no bounds.

And since most people seem to agree Kate shouldn’t have worn black, she made the right decision.

Last edited:
Maybe the women that have been sexually abused should wear black. But the men accused should wear a red sign that says I am an abuser.

Maybe the women that have been sexually abused should wear black. But the men accused should wear a red sign that says I am an abuser.

Oooh! An updated, new and improved version of The Scarlet Letter. :eek:

Court Circular 6th March:
The Duke of Cambridge, President, British Academy of Film and Television Arts, this evening attended a Reception at Kensington Palace.

The Duke of Cambridge, President, British Academy of Film and Television Arts, this afternoon held a Meeting at Kensington Palace with representatives from the Games Industry.

- Court Circular ll 31 October 2018

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will attend the #EEBAFTAs⁠ ⁠ Awards ceremony at the Royal Albert Hall on Sunday 10th February.

The Duke, @BAFTA President, and The Duchess will meet BAFTA representatives and watch the ceremony. The Duke will also present the Fellowship award.

Via Kensington Palace Twitter

Looking forward to seeing them at the BAFTAs.

Sunday 10th February, 2019

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will attend the EE British Academy Film Awards ceremony at the Royal Albert Hall on 10th February. The Duke, President of the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA), and The Duchess will meet BAFTA representatives and watch the ceremony. The Duke will also present the Fellowship award. BAFTA is a world-leading independent arts charity that brings the very best work in film, games and television to public attention and supports the growth of creative talent in the UK and internationally. While BAFTA is well-known for celebrating excellence and championing creativity through its awards, it is a charity committed to identifying talented individuals, and making sure they receive the encouragement, professional support and advice that will enable them to succeed, regardless of their background or other circumstances.

The Fellowship, which The Duke will present, is awarded annually at the ceremony, and is the highest accolade bestowed by the Academy to an individual in recognition of an outstanding and exceptional contribution to film, games or television. The recipient of this year’s Fellowship will be Ms Thelma Schoonmaker.

In addition to its Awards ceremonies, BAFTA has a year-round learning and new talent programme, including a campaign to support young people from all backgrounds entering the film, games and television industries, which The Duke helped relaunch in 2013, and a scholarships programme, which features the ‘Prince William Scholarships in Film, Games and Television’.

The Duke has been President of the Academy since February 2010, and both His Royal Highness and The Duchess have supported BAFTA’s charitable activities by attending events across the charity’s learning programmes, including Young Game Designers and BAFTA Kids events, as well as others related to building cross-cultural collaborations with the creative industries in China.

I am not thinking it is live. My ET zone coverage starts at 9PM, which is 2 am UK time.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have arrived at The Royal Albert Hall for the 72nd British Academy Film Awards in London

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge met with a number of BAFTA winners including Rami Malek, Bradley Cooper and Olivia Colman following the ceremony at London’s Royal Albert Hall

Last edited by a moderator:
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge met with a number of BAFTA winners including Rami Malek, Bradley Cooper and Olivia Colman following the ceremony at London’s Royal Albert Hall

What a lovely and gracious couple!

This is one couple that knows how to make an entrance.

Yes, the whole evening was nice. Joanna’s jokes weren’t all that funny, but the Cambridge’s always put the icing on the cake at this event. They got a chance to meet Spike Lee, so that was exciting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can’t watch the second video since i’m at work.. somebody please tell me William makes a “shall I call you granny now?” joke with Olivia Coleman!

Can’t watch the second video since i’m at work.. somebody please tell me William makes a “shall I call you granny now?” joke with Olivia Coleman!

I couldn't quite get the conversation, what they was saying - but I don't think Prince William made that joke this time. He already did that with Dame Helen Mirren in 2014, and I thought that was cute, but from what Dame.H.Mirren said on another TV interview, she did not like it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom