The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-18-2018, 04:05 PM
Heir Apparent

If the 'choice' if foisted upon you [even by 'Peer pressure'], it is NO choice at all.. it is 'sheep mentality' and demeaning to the participants, and women in general...

Old 02-18-2018, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Here are some more photos of their attendance this evening:

** gettyimages/zimbio gallery: The Duke And Duchess of Cambridge Attend The EE British Academy Film Awards ** gettyimages **

** hellomagazine: Baftas 2018: Kate shows off baby bump as she graces red carpet with Prince William **

Old 02-18-2018, 04:47 PM
Majesty

Prince William’s speech from tonight

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DWWTWU7W...jpg&name=large
Old 02-18-2018, 04:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaira View Post
I like the dress, LOVE the jewels.

I know Ill get jumped on for saying this. However, standing up against sexual violence is NOT making a political statement anymore than Charles and co working against climate change is. I think it was in extremely bad taste for her to show up in non-black. If the politics was too much to deal with, she should have just not come. The black dress code was announced before their attendance was.
She was damned if she do, damned if she don't. Personally I support #TimesUp and don't understand how any female couldn't be against sexual harassment and assault. But it's one's own choice to decide that and it is Kate's right to not want to associate with the movement. She made her stance so now a new conversation will be had because of it.

That said, she looks lovely. Crazy to think she will be having the baby soon.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:56 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
She was damned if she do, damned if she don't. Personally I support #TimesUp and don't understand how any female couldn't be against sexual harassment and assault. But it's one's own choice to decide that and it is Kate's right to not want to associate with the movement. She made her stance so now a new conversation will be had because of it.

That said, she looks lovely. Crazy to think she will be having the baby soon.
I don’t think anyone supports sexual harassment and assault. But how does wearing a certain colour dress indicate that?

As many people on Twitter pointed out, if The Queen was there she certainly wouldn’t have worn black, does that mean she doesn’t support women?

Leave the hashtag movements to celebrities.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I don’t think anyone supports sexual harassment and assault. But how does wearing a certain colour dress indicate that?

As many people on Twitter pointed out, if The Queen was there she certainly wouldn’t have worn black, does that mean she doesn’t support women?

Leave the hashtag movements to celebrities.
She was at an event riddled with celebrities. Sitting among them knowing before she announced her attendance what it was going to be about. She getting this feedback knowing full well of her decision. She a woman and has a young daughter. I don't judge Kate. I don't think she against the movement nor doesn't support it. I get the royal viewpoint but I also understand the reaction she is receiving as well especially from those who already have dodgey views of the monarchy.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Yes, she's sitting among celebrities that are wearing black, yet still work with the likes of Mel Gibson, Woody Allen and James Franco.

The movement is so much more than the color of a gown and it's unfortunate that folks are spending so much time worrying about who is and isn't wearing black to an event. I'd rather focus on the abusers and not the women who choose not to wear a certain color.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:32 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^ And those actors getting fired, dropped, and called out as well. I actually agree with you. The focus should be the helping and supporting victims and the abuses being punished while taking actions to prevent these things from happening.

I'm just saying you can't be surprised when an entire room comes together in solidarity that the ones who purposely avoid it are being called out. We knew it would happen regardless of her color choice.

We see royals wear wristbands and poppies. They have taken stands on things. So this wouldn't have been that much of a stretch. I think that's the argument on the other side. It is what it is though.

Kate looked great in her green and looking forward to her dress tomorrow as well.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:36 PM
Royal Highness

Sorry the optics look bad on Kate on various levels:

1) Kate has worn black evening gowns as a royal duchess so the protocol argument doesn't work.

2) If Meghan came to BAFTA wearing a colored dress she would have been dragged for days because she was once an actress. Higher standards for the bride of the soon to be sixth in line to the throne and not a future queen?

3) Camilla has supported wash kits for rape victims and I think it's;still one of her causes. Kate can't put on a black gown?

One or all mentioned above could be why others are dragging Kate. For me, this was a land mine that should have been thought out more. DM had to point out the black accent they knew this was going to be a problem. The situation makes Kate look tone deaf.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
3) Camilla has supported wash kits for rape victims and I think it's;still one of her causes. Kate can't put on a black gown?

One or all mentioned above could be why others are dragging Kate. For me, this was a land mine that should have thought it out. If DM had to point out the black accent they knew this was going to be a problem. The situation makes Kate look tone deaf.
Indeed, Camilla has been a strong supporter of domestic abuse and sexual crime victims. Its not a popular cause, but one happy a senior royal has taken on. Its not 'political', its just not Popular.

http://www.chatelaine.com/living/cam...s-of-cornwall/

And agreed, this isn't some bully attack on Kate. Any royal woman would have faced the same talk. And I agree, because she is an actress, Meghan would likely have faced much worse.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:40 PM
Majesty

BAFTA winner Allison Janney had this to say about Catherine

“I would never judge anyone's choice of clothing. She looked absolutely beautiful and I'm so happy for them that she's pregnant again. She's an extraordinary woman. And she can wear whatever she wants.”
Old 02-18-2018, 05:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
Yes, she's sitting among celebrities that are wearing black, yet still work with the likes of Mel Gibson, Woody Allen and James Franco.

The movement is so much more than the color of a gown and it's unfortunate that folks are spending so much time worrying about who is and isn't wearing black to an event. I'd rather focus on the abusers and not the women who choose not to wear a certain color.
Yes, and James Franco actually wore a Times Up pin on the red carpet. And Woody Allen has been a known pedophile for years, who they were all thrilled to work with and pose on the red carpet with. Not to mention all those pearl-clutchers who go and buy tickets for Polanski’s and Allen’s films.
It’s a hypocrisy movement.

Quote:

We see royals wear wristbands and poppies. So this wouldn't have been that much of a stretch.
The poppies are sold by soldiers for soldiers, and The Queen is the head of the Armed Forces. Totally not the same thing.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

When you start dogging a person because they don't wear what you think they should wear then yes it's bullying. She and every other woman are free to wear whatever color dress they want. You can disagree and that's fine...however the attacking her over it is crossing a line.

LaRae
Old 02-18-2018, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
I'm just saying you can't be surprised when an entire room comes together in solidarity that the ones who purposely avoid it are being called out. We knew it would happen regardless of her color choice.
But my point is why should they be called out? There are many ways to support the movement and someone shouldn't be shamed for not wearing black. Anyone can put on a black dress/suit and a Times Up pin and pretend to support the movement, but what steps are they actually taking to help?

At the Golden Globes, the entire room stood up and applauded Kirk Douglas (despite the allegations against him), so wearing black means nothing if you're still going to turn a blind eye to abuse.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
It doesn't follow that the black dress code was announced before her dress plans had been made for the night, however.

It's Jenny Packham, likely bespoke, which means the dress was designed and the fabric was purchased, cut, and fitted a while back.

So if you're Kate, and you've just spent thousands of pounds on a bespoke gown, how do you justify having a *second* bespoke gown made, when you're 7 months pregnant in what's very likely to be your last pregnancy?
I agree hel. IMO since it is a darker color and paired with black trim and accessories this makes it an appropriate choice for a woman in third trimester maternity.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
When you start dogging a person because they don't wear what you think they should wear then yes it's bullying. She and every other woman are free to wear whatever color dress they want. You can disagree and that's fine...however the attacking her over it is crossing a line.

LaRae
THIS, so much this.

If Catherine, or Angelina Jolie or Helen Mirren or anyone else wants to wear a purple/yellow/white dress it’s their CHOICE and NO ONE has the right to judge them for it. Every woman should have the right to choose what she wears, be it a black gown or a pink bikini.

P.S.
Just to point out, there were a couple of actresses who didn’t wear black at the Golden Globes and they got a lot of backlash and were bullied on-line for it.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

The black accents are intentional. She's opted for the most neutral dress she could wear, like damn.

And I have a problem with other women being bullied into wearing something they might not be comfortable with. It's unfair and not to mention not at all what the movement of #MeToo is about. Not a single man is being pressured into doing more, yet Kate is being pressured into doing more for something she can't even say anything about in the first place? I sometimes can't with people. I'm all for political activism and I was one of the ones who said she should wear black to avoid a sh*tstorm, but anyone looking for a political stance from anyone within the BRF is deluded.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:58 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
Sorry the optics look bad on Kate on various levels:

1) Kate has worn black evening gowns as a royal duchess so the protocol argument doesn't work.

2) If Meghan came to BAFTA wearing a colored dress she would have been dragged for days because she was once an actress. Higher standards for the bride of the soon to be sixth in line to the throne and not a future queen?

One or all mentioned above could be why others are dragging Kate. For me, this was a land mine that should have thought it out. If DM had to point out the black accent they knew this was going to be a problem. The situation makes Kate look tone deaf.
I agree. Catherine wearing dark green is a major social problem, it's what makes the BRF look tone-deaf. Certainly not the BRF's continued support of Andrew, that's not a problem. I'm glad we're pointing fingers at women instead of accused men, makes me proud to be a feminist.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
But my point is why should they be called out? There are many ways to support the movement and someone shouldn't be shamed for not wearing black. Anyone can put on a black dress/suit and a Times Up pin and pretend to support the movement, but what steps are they actually taking to help?

At the Golden Globes, the entire room stood up and applauded Kirk Douglas (despite the allegations against him), so wearing black means nothing if you're still going to turn a blind eye to abuse.
We are hypocrites as a whole. No denial there. And I agree people shouldn't be called out for making their rightful choices. Just not shocked she is because of who she is. Not saying it's right. The royal family will be under the microscope more than ever now with HM being the age she is. They will be judge about everything because many question their relevance, so stuff like this heightens it.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:01 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
And I have a problem with other women being bullied into wearing something they might not be comfortable with. It's unfair and not to mention not at all what the movement of #MeToo is about. Not a single man is being pressured into doing more, yet Kate is being pressured into doing more for something she can't even say anything about in the first place? I sometimes can't with people. I'm all for political activism and I was one of the ones who said she should wear black to avoid a sh*tstorm, but anyone looking for a political stance from anyone within the BRF is deluded.
I completely agree with this. There were some other actresses and actors who were not physically supporting the movement via clothing, yet nobody (as far as I am aware) seems to have hurled hate at them - and they are in a position to make political statements, since they don't have the disadvantage that Catherine does in it not being preferable for her to make political statements. Furthermore, Catherine wore a black belt, and so she is showing her support for the movement. She should have the right to wear what she wants without being abused about it by the militant feminists who criticise her on social media about it. Because that's not feminism - that's not treating Catherine the same as everyone else.

I, for one, really like Catherine's gown. The colour is gorgeous and she looks glowing.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank