The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #241  
Old 02-03-2020, 12:45 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 10,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
Sorry to be grumpy, but I thought that was very rude of Brad Pitt, especially as he wasn't even there to deliver the "jokes" in person. William and Kate handled it very well, but he was trying to provoke a reaction and there was no need for it. Why can't people just accept awards, say thank you very much, and have done, instead of making awkward jokes or political statements?!
I totally 100% agree. You don't need to be an empath to see that the Harry situation was and is a painful one for William and his family.

And I am disappointed with Brad Pitt, he usually behaves with more dignity.

But...it's Hollywood after all.
__________________

__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Reply With Quote
  #242  
Old 02-03-2020, 01:52 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,390
I think he should have kept his mouth shut about the diversity thing. When he criticised a 'lack of diversity' he was saying what this phrase really means which is that worthier candidates were overlooked in being nominated for an award because they were female or were not white. It's a serious accusation for him to level at BAFTA and unless he can prove it he should have kept his mouth shut. However if he felt that he really needed to mention it it should have been in private and to the relevant people. He shouldn't be standing there criticising an organisation of which he is President like that.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #243  
Old 02-03-2020, 04:25 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Peterborough, Canada
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
I think he should have kept his mouth shut about the diversity thing. When he criticised a 'lack of diversity' he was saying what this phrase really means which is that worthier candidates were overlooked in being nominated for an award because they were female or were not white. It's a serious accusation for him to level at BAFTA and unless he can prove it he should have kept his mouth shut. However if he felt that he really needed to mention it it should have been in private and to the relevant people. He shouldn't be standing there criticising an organisation of which he is President like that.
The lack of diversity is obvious when one looks at the nominees and winners. It is a fact. It is a criticism being levelled at many entertainment awards organizations. I suspect BAFTA execs knew what William was going to say.
Reply With Quote
  #244  
Old 02-03-2020, 05:24 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by caethi View Post
The lack of diversity is obvious when one looks at the nominees and winners. It is a fact. It is a criticism being levelled at many entertainment awards organizations. I suspect BAFTA execs knew what William was going to say.
To say the nominees were selected because of their gender and race is to say that BAFTA is a racist and misogynistic organisation and there is no foundation for that, you can't just come out and say such a thing without proof. We'll get to a point soon where there will have to be a quota of certain types of people being nominated for awards resulting in more worthy candidates being overlooked just to please the PC brigade.
Reply With Quote
  #245  
Old 02-03-2020, 06:07 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Middlewich, United Kingdom
Posts: 21,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
To say the nominees were selected because of their gender and race is to say that BAFTA is a racist and misogynistic organisation and there is no foundation for that, you can't just come out and say such a thing without proof. We'll get to a point soon where there will have to be a quota of certain types of people being nominated for awards resulting in more worthy candidates being overlooked just to please the PC brigade.
It's got nothing to do with the PC brigade, and all to do with fantastic actresses, actors and musicians missing out on award nominations this year especially. This is the year where BAFTA nominated the same actress in the same category for two films where she was frankly appalling. Considering the other fantastic actresses who had stunning performances this year, there was no reason to nominate Robbie twice. Plus this isn't just my opinion, it's an opinion shared by many out there in the real world.

The foundation for calling, frankly all awarding bodies both racist and sexist, is in their published nominations both this year and previous years.

William did right by calling out the lack of diversity, it takes big voices to make big changes.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #246  
Old 02-03-2020, 06:12 PM
Princess Larisa's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: ., Croatia
Posts: 3,677
Court Circular 2nd February:
Kensington Palace

The Duke of Cambridge, President, British Academy of Film and Television Arts, and The Duchess of Cambridge this evening attended the British Academy of Film and Television Arts Awards at the Royal Albert Hall, Kensington Gore, London SW7, and were received by Her Majesty’s Lord-Lieutenant of Greater London (Sir Kenneth Olisa).
Reply With Quote
  #247  
Old 02-03-2020, 08:00 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: st. paul, United States
Posts: 1,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
It was rude, pointless, and gutless, since he didn't even have the courage to deliver it himself, but it also doesn't reflect well on the person who chose to read the "joke."
If I was the person, I would have chuckled and said I wouldn't read some of Brad's jokes then added "naughty Brad!". Because he also put the reader in a awkward situation.

It was also weird to come from Brad. Had it been a comedian, one whose known for current event and cultural humor, then it wouldn't have been so "cringe". But Brad isn't a comedian. He also has a rather messy personal life, so I'm surprised he approves of those kind of potshots.

I do feel sorry for the Cambridges that the behavior of Andrew and the Sussexes has put them in the position of having to smile at family-directed jabs lest they be seen as poor sports on national television.
Reply With Quote
  #248  
Old 02-03-2020, 08:18 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
It's got nothing to do with the PC brigade, and all to do with fantastic actresses, actors and musicians missing out on award nominations this year especially. This is the year where BAFTA nominated the same actress in the same category for two films where she was frankly appalling. Considering the other fantastic actresses who had stunning performances this year, there was no reason to nominate Robbie twice. Plus this isn't just my opinion, it's an opinion shared by many out there in the real world.

The foundation for calling, frankly all awarding bodies both racist and sexist, is in their published nominations both this year and previous years.

William did right by calling out the lack of diversity, it takes big voices to make big changes.
I disagree but your entitled to your opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #249  
Old 02-03-2020, 09:20 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere, United States
Posts: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
I do feel sorry for the Cambridges that the behavior of Andrew and the Sussexes has put them in the position of having to smile at family-directed jabs lest they be seen as poor sports on national television.


I do too. The “jokes” seemed inappropriate to me. These have been very public, and no doubt, painful events in their family. And to have to sit through jokes on both subjects seems very unkind on the part of the speakers.

Regarding William’s comments on diversity, best I could tell, he was commenting on what apparently is already being much discussed. He didn’t so much as bring up the subject as much as addressed the complaints. And he’s the president of BAFTA.
Reply With Quote
  #250  
Old 02-03-2020, 09:59 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 319
William did the right thing to call out the diversity issues. There are many fantastic performances from people of color that were overlooked. One is the lady who played Harriet, who received Oscar nod but not BAFTA.
Reply With Quote
  #251  
Old 02-03-2020, 10:49 PM
QueenMathilde's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLV View Post
What did he do/say?

Oh, let me think. He said something along the lines of he was going to name the award "Harry" because it was going back to America with him. He said some other things as well. Drunk Brad's not as clever as he thinks he is.

...


I thought Will and Kate handled it as best as they could.
Reply With Quote
  #252  
Old 02-04-2020, 02:49 AM
Lady Daly's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sherwood, United States
Posts: 582
Joaquin Phoenix and Prince William call out BAFTAs racism
https://www.harpersbazaar.com/uk/awa...illiam-racism/

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/uk/cel...ed-the-baftas/
Video of Margo Robbie accepting BAFTA for Brad Pitt
https://youtu.be/ONk_kWP1Uq8
Reply With Quote
  #253  
Old 02-04-2020, 05:03 PM
HereditaryPrincess's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 13,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
To say the nominees were selected because of their gender and race is to say that BAFTA is a racist and misogynistic organisation and there is no foundation for that, you can't just come out and say such a thing without proof. We'll get to a point soon where there will have to be a quota of certain types of people being nominated for awards resulting in more worthy candidates being overlooked just to please the PC brigade.
I'm sick and tired of people branding others who are spreading awareness of being "part of the PC brigade" You only have to look at the nominees to notice that there's a lack of diversity - William was just stating an important truth and it's not his or anyone else's problem other than your own that it bothers you. As an influential figure I actually think it's good of him to point such a prevalent issue out. 2019 was actually a great year for diversity in film but the BAFTAs reflects otherwise. I had more of a problem with Brad Pitt's remarks than William's.

Sorry for being harsh, but I'm just fed up of people with a more conservative viewpoint branding everything they don't like as being "PC nonsense". This is a large part of the reason why we don't have progress when it comes to these issues.
__________________
"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone". Audrey Hepburn

*
"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Reply With Quote
  #254  
Old 02-04-2020, 06:38 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I'm sick and tired of people branding others who are spreading awareness of being "part of the PC brigade" You only have to look at the nominees to notice that there's a lack of diversity - William was just stating an important truth and it's not his or anyone else's problem other than your own that it bothers you. As an influential figure I actually think it's good of him to point such a prevalent issue out. 2019 was actually a great year for diversity in film but the BAFTAs reflects otherwise. I had more of a problem with Brad Pitt's remarks than William's.

Sorry for being harsh, but I'm just fed up of people with a more conservative viewpoint branding everything they don't like as being "PC nonsense". This is a large part of the reason why we don't have progress when it comes to these issues.
I don't have a 'problem' I have my opinion to which I am entitled and I have acknowledged that other posters are entitled to there's as is Prince William. Perhaps though, if PW feels that BAFTA are behaving in such a discriminatory way, he might want to distance himself from them by relinquishing his presidency.
Reply With Quote
  #255  
Old 02-04-2020, 06:57 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Middlewich, United Kingdom
Posts: 21,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
Perhaps though, if PW feels that BAFTA are behaving in such a discriminatory way, he might want to distance himself from them by relinquishing his presidency.

Doubtful, considering he quoted BAFTA CEO and Chair in his speech. Perhaps William is actually working with his patronage in doing something about the lack of diversity on offer...
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #256  
Old 02-04-2020, 08:04 PM
HereditaryPrincess's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 13,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
I don't have a 'problem' I have my opinion to which I am entitled and I have acknowledged that other posters are entitled to there's as is Prince William. Perhaps though, if PW feels that BAFTA are behaving in such a discriminatory way, he might want to distance himself from them by relinquishing his presidency.


You are indeed entitled to your opinion but may I remind you of what you wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
I think he should have kept his mouth shut about the diversity thing. When he criticised a 'lack of diversity' he was saying what this phrase really means which is that worthier candidates were overlooked in being nominated for an award because they were female or were not white. It's a serious accusation for him to level at BAFTA and unless he can prove it he should have kept his mouth shut. However if he felt that he really needed to mention it it should have been in private and to the relevant people. He shouldn't be standing there criticising an organisation of which he is President like that.

You didn’t acknowledge at all that William was entitled to his opinion or that what he was doing was actually beneficial, which was where my problem lied. If you have acknowledged this I wouldn’t have reacted in such a way. (Saying that he should have done it in private is not acknowledging the validness of William’s statement IMO, because nobody would’ve heard it outside those circles).
__________________

__________________
"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone". Audrey Hepburn

*
"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Royal Jewellery & Fine Arts Auctions and Exhibitions kimebear Royal Jewels General Discussion 280 10-27-2020 07:03 PM
"It's a Royal Knockout" British Television Charity Event: June 15, 1987 Australian The Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family 35 04-05-2013 08:34 AM
"Richard II" (2012) - BBC/NBC Universal/WNET Television Film Breffney The Electronic Domain 12 07-02-2012 06:24 AM




Popular Tags
abdication american anastasia anastasia once upon a time baby names baptism bridal gown british royal family british royals buckingham palace carolin china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing countess of snowdon cpr dna dresses dubai duchess of sussex duke of sussex facts gradenigo history hochberg hypothetical monarchs imperial household intro italian royal family jacobite japan jewellery king willem-alexander list of rulers luxembourg mary: crown princess of denmark monarchy mountbatten names nepalese royal jewels northern ireland pless prince charles of luxembourg prince constantijn prince dimitri prince harry princess ariane princess catharina-amalia princess chulabhorn walailak princess eugenie princess ribha queen elizabeth ii queen louise queen mathilde queen maxima random facts resusci anne royal dress-ups royal jewels royal marriage royal re-enactments. royalty of taiwan royal wedding royal wedding gown serbian royal family snowdon thai royal family tips uae customs united states united states of america wittelsbach


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:03 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×