The Duke of Cambridge as Patron of Centrepoint 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really liked William's impromptu dance. It really shows he's in touch with the ordinary Brits.

Now, I like Catherine, I'm not a hater, but I would like to see her lighten up. I know she hasn't had much experience being in front of the media in such events, so I hope she would soon relax. Maybe she should've done the swag dance too? :flowers:

I caught a report on their visit on the ITV News bulletin this evening and when they're leaving William is very sweet with Kate, keeping his arm around her as they walk to the car and making sure she gets in ok. I just thought it was very sweet and considerate of him.

I caught a report on their visit on the ITV News bulletin this evening and when they're leaving William is very sweet with Kate, keeping his arm around her as they walk to the car and making sure she gets in ok. I just thought it was very sweet and considerate of him.

Or ridiculously over protective. I'm sure Catherine can manage to get in a car all by herself at 29. I can understand the arm around her but everything else I saw seemed patronising.

Or ridiculously over protective. I'm sure Catherine can manage to get in a car all by herself at 29. I can understand the arm around her but everything else I saw seemed patronising.

If that was 'patronising' then my boyfriend can be patronising to me as much as he wants.

For me it would be annoying too. William often do this, Kate probably has nothing against but it looks like 'guiding her', she's adult and knows where to goes (I hope so).

For me it would be annoying too. William often do this, Kate probably has nothing against but it looks like 'guiding her', she's adult and knows where to goes (I hope so).

Yes she is, but she's also a recent member of the royal family and probably still gets nervous about official engagements. I think this is his way of making sure she knows that she's doing great, and making her feel like he's watching out for her- it's also a way of making it clear to everyone around them that they're a team.

I don't find it patronizing at all.

I liked the guiding hand at first, but now it seems overdone. Then again, I'm quite independent and wouldn't want my man to be "guiding" me every step of the way. I can do quite fine by myself, thank you!

Look, they're newlyweds. They almost always avoid touching each other in public. Occasionally, when they have been to a successful engagement, he just can't keep his hands off of her, wants to show he's proud!

I have noticed that HM occasionally seems to struggle when alighting from a vehicle, and yet DoE is just standing there watching. Of course, she may have a stiff upper lip attitude about it- doesn't want to appear as though she is less capable than in her youth.

It's not patronizing for a man to assist his wife in a tender way. Doesn't mean he thinks she's helpless, or incompetent. He just want to touch her.

I really liked William's impromptu dance. It really shows he's in touch with the ordinary Brits.

Now, I like Catherine, I'm not a hater, but I would like to see her lighten up. I know she hasn't had much experience being in front of the media in such events, so I hope she would soon relax. Maybe she should've done the swag dance too? :flowers:

I would think that she would not wish to draw attention away from him and toward herself. With her beauty and her wardrobe, people look at her pretty constantly- she wants him to have his 'moment in the sun'.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was growing up it would merely be considered good manners.

Thank you!!! Now all too frequently doors may frequently be slammed directly in front of us. It IS good manners, none of these niceties need to be seen as patronizing, unfortunately many men have been lambasted for being polite that I think many of them have just given up. I love that he is so watchful of her, it is very endearing ... never fear independent young ladies we may well see the day when he no longer does it. :lol: I hope not however, these are very nice gestures and does not mean that the recipient is helpless.

Only a couple of weeks ago I was told how sexist I was for holding a door open for a women in my office building so I can understand why some men have given up. Old habits are however hard to give up. I also don't mind if the woman in front of me holds a door open for me.

Well, it may be "polite" of William to constantly guide Catherine around, but eventually it is going to get old. If by this time next year he's still doing this, I'd start to wonder if William is a control freak or is Catherine weak or both.

I really love the fact that William is seen touching his wife in an affectionate manner. It's not patronizing, it's gentlemanly and I give him props for doing it. He may be over-protective, but we don't know what that particular touch means to the couple. Maybe to Catherine it's a sign of encouragement, pride, and support.

When I was growing up it would merely be considered good manners.

I still consider it good manners, and wish more men would take a leaf out of William's book. I never get tired of my next door neighbor's kind gestures of pulling chairs out for myself and his wife when we're all out at dinner or lunch. It makes me feel like a lady.

Only a couple of weeks ago I was told how sexist I was for holding a door open for a women in my office building so I can understand why some men have given up. Old habits are however hard to give up. I also don't mind if the woman in front of me holds a door open for me.

I frequently open doors for men. I take the view that whoever is in front should open the door for the others, with the exception that everyone should open the door for a significantly older person of either gender or to help someone who is carrying loads of parcels, and situations like that, and I believe last into the lift/closest to the door should be first one out. I am quite capable of opening doors for myself though and my husband knows better than to rush in front of me to do so. And anyone who puts their hand on my back to guide me somewhere will be shrugged off and possibly scowled at. But that's me. I don't use my husband's surname, either, or wear a wedding ring.

William and Kate are newlyweds and are clearly devoted to each other. They've been together for years so I imagine that Kate enjoys him doing things like this for her, and if she enjoys it, let her enjoy it. She's a university educated woman and she can decide for herself and I'm sure William respects her wishes. It's what equality is all about.

I really love the fact that William is seen touching his wife in an affectionate manner. It's not patronizing, it's gentlemanly and I give him props for doing it. He may be over-protective, but we don't know what that particular touch means to the couple. Maybe to Catherine it's a sign of encouragement, pride, and support.

I still consider it good manners, and wish more men would take a leaf out of William's book. I never get tired of my next door neighbor's kind gestures of pulling chairs out for myself and his wife when we're all out at dinner or lunch. It makes me feel like a lady.

These comments really makes me appreciate those little odd gestures my husband does for me. I think it is the DoE that was once quoted saying "If a man opens a car door for a woman, its either a new wife or a new car". For me, all those times that my husband has opened a car door for me, made sure the walkway was free of snow before I walked to the car, carries all the grocery bags into the house and a bazillion other little gestures mean far far more than a diamond bracelet or 12 long stem red roses and such. Its the little things that remind the other partner that they're very well loved and protected and cherished. I hope both William and Kate never ever grow out of doing these little things for each other.

So sorry you had that experience. I wonder who told you it was sexist?
Don't give up your good manners, both sexes need to practice them! That's equality.
Even the still pictures show the magnetism they have towards each other, it's so evident they're so in love and can't keep their hands off each other.
How refreshing!

we don't know what that particular touch means to the couple. Maybe to Catherine it's a sign of encouragement, pride, and support.
Excellent point, Daria.

Last edited by a moderator:

Don't stop holding doors open because for everyone who calls you sexist there are ten who really appreciate it, especially me. I would smile politely and thank you. Good manners are quite a rarity :flowers:

Well at least this time it is William getting the nitpicking criticisms and not Kate.
It is sweet that William is always doing the same touch on her back, it is a sign that he is attentive to her and is possibly doing it without realizing; just a need to touch her in some way that possibly reassures her and himself. Plus with the gown she was wearing, it's nice for a gentleman to help her into her car; anytime a woman is wearing a cumbersome dress it is polite to give help.

My twitter was overflowing this morning, so I'm sharing it all with you :D.

A video from CNN about Centrepoint visit
Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

A YouTube clip from ITN
Prince William and Kate Middleton make mince pies - YouTube

From British Royals
Prince William Shows Off his Dance Moves at Centrepoint | British Royals

From Centrepoint's facebook page. I haven't seen a few of these, and I have to say that William knows how to make some really interesting facial expressions
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge visit Centrepoint | Facebook

Why am I not surprised William is a good dancer? He and Kate spent time on the dance floor during their college/dating years, and I'm sure he perfected a lot of rhythm and smooth moves.;)

Centrepoint

Wow, what a night. And to top it all off... This just in from our Patron, Prince William:

‘As Patron of Centrepoint, I have seen the devastating impact of homelessness on young people, but I have also seen the remarkable work of the organisations that help, which is made possible thanks to events like Sleep Out. I am hopeful that we will see the end of youth homeless in our generation, thanks in large part to efforts like this.’

Just wow. Well done all. #sleepout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom