The Duke of Cambridge as Patron of Centrepoint 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Opal I'm glad Centrepoint was able to help your friend. From what I've read about them they sound like a worthy charity.
And I found this article in the Australian news so it ties in with this charity you guys are all talking about: AdelaideNow... Prince William sleeps rough

It's amazing he did this. To really put himself out there so he can have an idea of what these people go through. My hat's off to him.
Thank you Shanaz, yes they definately helped my friend out.
I agree with your last paragraph. And it's a brilliant way to get press for Centrepoint.

I don't understand what some people want William to do? He's raised money for the charity before and obviously there are other people as well who help the charity out in fundraising. He's visited the charity time after time. And now he's sleeping on the street because he wants to get a better understanding of how the homeless survive. In all honesty I don't understand what more you could want. I don't know about all of you but I wouldn't last a day on the streets not even if I had the highest training there is out there. I mean what exactly could he do that could make a lasting impact. It's very tricky when it comes to the homeless, I don't really see a way of stopping it. Yes he could build a shelter or something but it's not really going to stop the numbers from increasing.

Well it made me consider for a moment what it would be like to be homeless in the freezing cold. Better than pics of him coming out of a night club.

Good points ghost night544. He obviously didn't do this to "raise funds" although he has done that in the past. This was done to bring awareness to this good charity and also to the problem of homelessness which let's be honest most of us don't have to deal with and tend to forget about as we lay in our cozy beds in our safe homes. If William had just visited Centrepoint or did a fundraiser it wouldn't have the same impact as seeing pics of William doing this and it wouldn't have received as much press. I think it was a brilliant idea. I have a friend who went through this (by no fault of their own) and let me tell you it's a very scarey thing! I won't go into detail about it, but I feel anything His Highness can do for this charity is a plus. He didn't have to put himself out there, but he did! He deserves our support not criticism.
:advent: Happy Christmas and Peace to everyone! :poinsettia:

How did they handle security or do they just not over worry about such things?

I would guess that a security officer (or two inshifts) spent the night with the Prince. To make sure that nothing happened while he slept. Of course, who knows how long the press was there.

I think William has done something most people wouldn't even think of putting themselves through. My hats off to him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's fantastic that he took the time to walk around and talk to the people who are homeless. Can you imagine how it must've been for them - all of sudden early in the morning seeing the prince approach them on the street and have a chat. They probably thought they were dreaming. :lol: How surreal!
And to top it off then he went back to Centrepoint and made everyone breakfast. What a prince and a lovely person!

Excerpt from article:
"After sleeping fitfully, William rolled up his sleeping bag at 6am and walked through the streets for 45 minutes, stopping to talk to several homeless people on the way.
He went to Centrepoint's hostel in Greek Street, Soho, where he showered before cooking breakfast for some of the residents and cutting a cake to celebrate the charity's 40th anniversary."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1237773/Prince-William-sleeps-rough-streets-London-experience-life-homeless.html#ixzz0b1HYt0Sm

I don't understand what some people want William to do?
I know what you mean ghostnight544. No matter what the royals do certain people are going to moan and complain. :rolleyes:

I'm impressed! And he made breakfast too? How charming! He can make breakfast for me anythime. ;) :lol:

Well I'm impressed too. What a wonderful to do. And it was only -4 celcius? That's c-c-c-cold! So what exactly does Centrepoint do? Is it an actual shelter for the homeless?

Thanks for posting their website link RoyalistRiley. It looks like this organization provides many services for these homeless people including different types of accomodations according to their needs.

Thank you RoyalistRiley for the website. That was very helpful. And thanks Opal for the article.
It mentions in the article that Centrepoint only takes in 16-25 yr. olds. I'm curious as to why they only help this age group? Maybe homelessness is more prevalent amongst young people in London or maybe Centrepoint just has limited funds. At any rate they seem like a wonderful charity.

I'm not sure why they only help that age group but young people do tend to be in a unique situation. Many troubled kids are kicked out of their homes for various reasons or they run away from home (perhaps abused) and most of them don't have any resources including work experience to live on their own.

Cooking breakfast at Centrepoint:

Prince William admits: 'I love a fry up' - Telegraph

:previous: Oh thx for this. He looks adorable in his apron and chef's hat. ;)
So funny how he and Harry compete in frying an egg. :lol: So competetive.

Thanks Sonjapearl for posting the article. I think it's good that William is speaking up about issues that are important to him. As long as he doesn't overdo it like his father sometimes does.

I agree he looks really good in picture #3 One of his better shots lately.

He's really cute in picture 3; and I say this as a woman closer to 50 than to 45.:flowers:

Oh I definitely agree on #3 too! I love the double breasted tux. Very classy and elegant looking.

William does look really good in a tux.
A pity they used one of the less flattering photos of William for the article above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom