The Duke of Cambridge as Patron of Centrepoint 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's in England, in the Cumbria region in the northeast.

Cumbria's one of the northernmost counties in England. I think the terrain up there is pretty rugged in places, so it probably was indeed quite a high elevation! (ETA: Sonjapearl, you beat me to it! ;) )

Last edited by a moderator:
I like that we can watch a video of him. Maybe they'll start doing these videos more often. Oh technology!
He seems like such a warm and friendly person.

Also can someone tell me how to copy what someone says so it shows up in the blue box. I hope that makes sense.

:previous::) If you go to the top of the box you're typing in, you'll see a what looks like a cartoon balloon. Click on it and the word "quote" will appear twice. Cut and paste what you want to quote between the two
words and when you post, it will come up in a quote box. If that makes sense.

Prince William has given his backing to City bosses and celebrities who are sleeping rough to raise money for a homeless charity.
He has praised those taking part and encouraged more people to take to the streets tomorrow to raise funds for Centrepoint.

Prince backs charity sleep-out stars | News

:clap::clap::mountie:

Prince William has given his backing to City bosses and celebrities who are sleeping rough to raise money for a homeless charity.
He has praised those taking part and encouraged more people to take to the streets tomorrow to raise funds for Centrepoint.

Prince backs charity sleep-out stars | News
Thanks Skydragon. It's great that he's supporting this. Have they ever done anything like this before? I mean, where are all these celebs, etc. sleeping at? I think it's an interesting fund raising concept.

:previous: Apparently not, here is an article from the BBC giving a few details.

Celebrities will join hundreds of people sleeping rough on Thursday night to raise money for a homeless charity.
Centrepoint hoped the sleep-out in east London's Spitafield's market would help raise more than £250,000 to help house young homeless people over Christmas

BBC NEWS | UK | England | London | Stars sleep out to help homeless

Pics 16.12.2009

Prince William as Patron of the organisation attends an Anniversary
Reception to celebrate Centrepoint's 40th Anniversary, December
16, 2009.
Centrepoint is a charity that provides housing and support to improve
the lives of homeless people between the ages of 16 and 25.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** gettyimages ** belga **

:previous: Geez he's supporting one of his worthy charities and all they can do is gripe about his hair loss. :nonono: The royals are never appreciated for what they do.

Yes, the media does tend to be rather shallow unfortunately.

Yes, the media does tend to be rather shallow unfortunately.

I would go beyong the media and say the general public. Afterall if the people didn't want to read this stuff then they wouldn't buy it and the media wouldn't write it.

I would go beyong the media and say the general public. Afterall if the people didn't want to read this stuff then they wouldn't buy it and the media wouldn't write it.
Yes, I'm sure that's true... unfortunately. :sad:

Prince William as Patron of the organisation attends an Anniversary Reception to celebrate Centrepoint's 40th Anniversary, December
16, 2009. Centrepoint is a charity that provides housing and support to improve the lives of homeless people between the ages of 16 and 25.
This is the charity that William's mum introduced him to and the 1st one he became associated with as an adult so it obviously has a special place in his heart. Nice pictures.

Centrepoint is an excellent charity. I have a friend in London who was in a real bad situation and had benefitted from this charity. They do good work. I wholeheartedly support them and I'm glad to see that William does too!

Prince William spends night on London streets - Yahoo! News

A cold alley in central London is a far cry from a palace — but it was the spot Prince William chose to sleep to highlight the plight of homeless British teenagers.

Kudos to Prince William for doing this. I really respect how he is seeking to gain greater empathy for those who are vulnerable, such as the homeless. I'm sure this experience will help him a great deal in his works, and will hopefully raise awareness of the importance of helping those in need.

I'm proud of him. It shows how brave he is to experience such a situation and how genuinely he cares about the homeless.

I see this as rather gimmicky really as it won't have any lasting impact on the general populace.

They will say like most here - well done - but who will really be helped next week and next year.

It seems very PRish and not really designed to help but rather to make him look good - truly helping would be having a mass sleep-out with sponsorships to raise millions to do something about it not having one person sleep out for one night.

Opal I'm glad Centrepoint was able to help your friend. From what I've read about them they sound like a worthy charity.
And I found this article in the Australian news so it ties in with this charity you guys are all talking about: AdelaideNow... Prince William sleeps rough

It's amazing he did this. To really put himself out there so he can have an idea of what these people go through. My hat's off to him.

I don't see this as a gimmick, but as an attempt by a young man who will soon come into a lot of responsiblities and be subject to great expectations to try and better understand a problem that he believes needs fixing and in which he thinks he can do something to help. No politician would have done such a thing unless it was for votes. William has no such motivation.

Although I agree with Iluvbertie that no one will actually be helped by the Prince's actions, I think now he needs to back it up by using the publicity generated to raise money or by some other means.

I think that this shows that William is attempting to empathize. There are already fundraisers for the homeless and people helping where they can. To have an heir to the throne actually sleep in the street is, I believe, a very big deal.

I think that this shows that William is attempting to empathize. There are already fundraisers for the homeless and people helping where they can. To have an heir to the throne actually sleep in the street is, I believe, a very big deal.

To me it has gimmick and PR all over it.

If he really wanted to help he would do something concrete not something that is in the press today and the chip wrapping paper tomorrow.

He is certainly his mother's son here - all show and not much real substance.

He is a multi-millionaire in his own right and all he can do is spend one night sleeping outside - big deal - he is an officer in the army for crying out loud. If he doesn't know what it is like to spend a night out of doors in Britain then he has been very poorly trained - or was it that when the rest of the officer cadets spent their nights outdoors he was tucked up in his bed somewhere and his commssion is therefore a 'fake' commission?

This is all over the news. I think William doing this is an awesome way to bring attention to his charity Centrepoint so more people will be aware and support it. What a great idea!
And here's another news link...
Britain's Prince William sleeps in the streets to highlight plight of UK homeless

Will people support it though because one rich block spend one night outside?

I can think of way better ways for him to actually get people to support the charity not just today but well into the future.

This stunt will be forgotten when it is chip wrapping next week but had he done something concrete that was ongoing he might have done some long term good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom