The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-31-2019, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I’ve deleted a few comments about Harry’s Eco tourism announcement. Let’s stop with the Sussex vs Cambridge arguments, please. This thread is about the Cambridges, let’s stick to that.

Old 12-31-2019, 12:22 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post
I just wish people didn't run with the "Nobel prize" and "moon landing" things that originated with the press, not with the announcement from KP. I see it everywhere and it's kind of dissapointing, like people are just waiting for the Cambridges or William to make a mistake and using something that the press said against this initative...
The reference to the 'moonshot' was made by the Earthshot Prize themselves.

Quote from the Earthshot Prize website:
Quote:
A set of unique challenges, rooted in science, will aim to generate new ways of thinking, as well as new technologies, systems, policies and solutions. Just as the moonshot that John F. Kennedy proposed in the 1960s catalysed new technology such as the MRI scanner and satellite dishes, we want our Earthshot challenges to create a new wave of ambition and innovation around finding ways to help save the planet.

Old 12-31-2019, 12:26 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post

I actually applauded the Cambridges that while they had varied other patronages, their foundations main goal was mental health and patronages around that. Splitting the focus if the foundation, now it's only the one couple, I have my doubts about.
I don’t get what the big deal is. Harry and Meghan’s foundation will have a split focus. Prince Charles helps different charities. I think people are blowing this up too much! Can’t we just applaud him for what he’s trying to do!
Old 12-31-2019, 12:37 PM
Serene Highness

From what I read it is a long term project, we are talking years not just a few months.
I do not think for one minute that they are in on this on their own, there will be others either as donors or 'experts'.

They are not comparing to the moon shot as such but that the challenges of the moonshot created new technology etc, so the challenge of saving the plant will encourage new ideas etc etc...

People are reading what they want to enable criticism.. all very sad.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:40 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post

They are not comparing to the moon shot as such but that the challenges of the moonshot created new technology etc, so the challenge of saving the plant will encourage new ideas etc etc...

People are reading what they want to enable criticism.. all very sad.
Thank you! It’s yet another haters going to situation. It gets tiring after a while!
Old 12-31-2019, 02:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Criticism already and the announcement is less than a day old. So sad.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Oh I can imagine Charles beaming ear to ear as his son follows in his footsteps being concerned and actively wanting to do something to fight the destructive ways the ecological balance of our third rock from the sun is being threatened. Daddies always get puffed out and pleased as Punch when their children take after them and, to me, this one, is a biggie.

Its doing something. Its encouraging solutions to be found. Its encouraging awareness around the globe. Its encouraging making a difference. Its getting people involved in a constructive way to benefit *all* of us. Its all good.

This endeavor wouldn't have been put together and announced as a fact if there wasn't concrete assurance that it could be done. The financial angle of it all is not one for me to worry about or dissect and criticize till the cows come home (they're out with their own supply of milk to ring in the New Year) but rather something to smile about that makes 2020 look like its starting off as a productive one.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:26 PM
Nobility

Great comment Osipi! I agree with you!
Old 12-31-2019, 03:30 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
The video itself doesn’t refer in anyway to the Nobel Peace Prize. I have only seen the media, particularly Chris Ship and Omid Scoobie use those comparisons.

It is the biggest environmental prize, and IMO is a noble initiative.

So the announcement video says Prince William and a Global Alliance so it’s not just going to be The Royal Foundation.

The video doesn't but every reporting on it does--which signals messaging guidance and framing from KP. The Telegraph, Times, etc all used that phrasing too not just Ship and Omid. And the language around "most prestigious" comes directly from the press materials released by KP.

Either way, this is a laudable project and I am very keen to see it roll out in earnest over the next year. Additional KP briefing mentioned various summits happening with the UN and such that it seems that William will be attending/taking part in.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:52 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
I would absolutely agree with this. It's hard to deny that it's certainly a worthy cause to champion and has the potential to become a tremendously successful initiative. Equating what's being touted by reporters with what was actually released is a mistake. I'd also like to point out for all of those saying "tone it down" or "it's so extra" or "it seems awfully over the top" that those things that seem extra or over the top were primarily spouted by reporters rather than by William and Co. but even so, if this exact same thing, with this exact same wording, and this exact same press coverage and comments had come from another arm of the BRF, many of those posters rolling their eyes would be shouting from the rooftops about how great it all is.

So, just my 2 cents, but maybe it's time we all appreciate this effort for what it is and recognize that it's a tremendously important cause to draw awareness to and celebrate that William is doing the legwork to make that happen in a big way.
I agree with this. A lot of the reception I've seen elsewhere online has been positive but there is also an equal amount of unfair criticism such as William flies on private jets so he wouldn't know about climate change, etc etc. Whilst that is a point, it's a good start that William and Catherine are bringing the very topical subject of climate change to more light. Charles has always been a keen environmentalist so it's only natural that William follows in his fathers footsteps - I can imagine Charles taught him a lot about the environment throughout his life and he is probably very proud that the Cambridges are starting this project up. Good for them and I hope it's successful.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 12-31-2019, 04:54 PM
Serene Highness

Additional info:

The funding for the prize has not been finalized yet
More information on the award panel will be coming later in 2020
First prizes to be given out in 2021

William is expected to attend COP 26 UN Climate Conference being held in Glasgow in November 2020 and The Convention on Biodiversity in China.

I can see William, Charles and Harry all attending the Glagow conference though. Would be lovely to see!
Old 12-31-2019, 06:26 PM
Nobility

Thanks for additional info! Looking forward to 2020!
Old 12-31-2019, 10:20 PM
Royal Highness

It seems like just yesterday people here were complaining that William wasn’t doing enough, wasn’t stepping up, was avoiding his responsibilities. And now he’s doing too much, splitting his focus, being too ambitious. Good times!

Nothing in the material sent out by KP itself indicates that anyone involved with the initiative thinks it’s directly comparable to the Nobel Prize or the moon landing. Yet. But it’s clear they have big plans for the prizes and, if so, good for them, because climate change and the environment are big issues.

From the limited information we have so far, it sounds like they’re going to be rewarding knowledgeable people with useful ideas that can be put into practice, which is great because it’s those sorts of people who have the potential to actually halt, or even reverse, some of the problems we’re facing.

I don’t see a problem with William and Kate focusing on more than one major issue. William is going to be The PoW before too long and, at that point, it would make no sense for the couple to have only one big area of focus. Charles is best known for his passion for environmental issues, but he doesn’t focus exclusively on them.
Old 01-01-2020, 06:44 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
It seems like just yesterday people here were complaining that William wasn’t doing enough, wasn’t stepping up, was avoiding his responsibilities. And now he’s doing too much, splitting his focus, being too ambitious. Good times!

Nothing in the material sent out by KP itself indicates that anyone involved with the initiative thinks it’s directly comparable to the Nobel Prize or the moon landing. Yet. But it’s clear they have big plans for the prizes and, if so, good for them, because climate change and the environment are big issues.

From the limited information we have so far, it sounds like they’re going to be rewarding knowledgeable people with useful ideas that can be put into practice, which is great because it’s those sorts of people who have the potential to actually halt, or even reverse, some of the problems we’re facing.

I don’t see a problem with William and Kate focusing on more than one major issue. William is going to be The PoW before too long and, at that point, it would make no sense for the couple to have only one big area of focus. Charles is best known for his passion for environmental issues, but he doesn’t focus exclusively on them.
Yes and how ahead of his time Prince Charles has been , he has spoken about these issues for many years and was ridiculed at times.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:09 AM
Administrator

The Duke of Cambridge as President of United for Wildlife made a speech during the meeting of the United for Wildlife Taskforces at St James's Palace today, January 21:

** gettyimages gallery ** dailymail article **
Old 06-21-2020, 02:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Court Circular 15th June:
Kensington Palace

The Duke of Cambridge, Patron, Tusk Trust, this afternoon held a Meeting with Mr. Charles Mayhew (Chief Executive Officer) via telephone.
Old 06-28-2020, 04:01 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

The Duke of Cambridge and Conservation Efforts

The Duke of Cambridge has a message for those taking part in the Tusk’s Virtual Lewa Safari Challenge yesterday;

https://twitter.com/tusk_org/status/...454754828?s=21
Old 06-28-2020, 06:20 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
The Duke of Cambridge has a message for those taking part in the Tusk’s Virtual Lewa Safari Challenge yesterday;

https://twitter.com/tusk_org/status/...454754828?s=21
It is good to see William and Catherine step up and continue to support their charitable endevours through the lock down.
Old 07-15-2020, 02:47 PM
Administrator

The Duke of Cambridge participated in a video meeting of the United for Wildlife Taskforces and "leading conservation organisations" today, July 15:

** instagram **

** dm: Prince William says it’s ‘important for us to learn a lesson from the pandemic' and admits 2020 took a 'heart-breaking' turn..**
Old 12-02-2020, 10:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Duke of Cambridge, royal patron of Tusk, spoke via video call with nominees of the annual Tusk Conservation Awards

https://twitter.com/i/status/1334103724394942465