The Duke of Cambridge and Conservation Efforts 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve deleted a few comments about Harry’s Eco tourism announcement. Let’s stop with the Sussex vs Cambridge arguments, please. This thread is about the Cambridges, let’s stick to that.

I just wish people didn't run with the "Nobel prize" and "moon landing" things that originated with the press, not with the announcement from KP. I see it everywhere and it's kind of dissapointing, like people are just waiting for the Cambridges or William to make a mistake and using something that the press said against this initative...

The reference to the 'moonshot' was made by the Earthshot Prize themselves.

Quote from the Earthshot Prize website:
A set of unique challenges, rooted in science, will aim to generate new ways of thinking, as well as new technologies, systems, policies and solutions. Just as the moonshot that John F. Kennedy proposed in the 1960s catalysed new technology such as the MRI scanner and satellite dishes, we want our Earthshot challenges to create a new wave of ambition and innovation around finding ways to help save the planet.

I actually applauded the Cambridges that while they had varied other patronages, their foundations main goal was mental health and patronages around that. Splitting the focus if the foundation, now it's only the one couple, I have my doubts about.

I don’t get what the big deal is. Harry and Meghan’s foundation will have a split focus. Prince Charles helps different charities. I think people are blowing this up too much! Can’t we just applaud him for what he’s trying to do!

From what I read it is a long term project, we are talking years not just a few months.
I do not think for one minute that they are in on this on their own, there will be others either as donors or 'experts'.

They are not comparing to the moon shot as such but that the challenges of the moonshot created new technology etc, so the challenge of saving the plant will encourage new ideas etc etc...

People are reading what they want to enable criticism.. all very sad.

They are not comparing to the moon shot as such but that the challenges of the moonshot created new technology etc, so the challenge of saving the plant will encourage new ideas etc etc...

People are reading what they want to enable criticism.. all very sad.

Thank you! It’s yet another haters going to situation. It gets tiring after a while!

Criticism already and the announcement is less than a day old. So sad.

Oh I can imagine Charles beaming ear to ear as his son follows in his footsteps being concerned and actively wanting to do something to fight the destructive ways the ecological balance of our third rock from the sun is being threatened. Daddies always get puffed out and pleased as Punch when their children take after them and, to me, this one, is a biggie.

Its doing something. Its encouraging solutions to be found. Its encouraging awareness around the globe. Its encouraging making a difference. Its getting people involved in a constructive way to benefit *all* of us. Its all good.

This endeavor wouldn't have been put together and announced as a fact if there wasn't concrete assurance that it could be done. The financial angle of it all is not one for me to worry about or dissect and criticize till the cows come home (they're out with their own supply of milk to ring in the New Year) but rather something to smile about that makes 2020 look like its starting off as a productive one. ?

Great comment Osipi! I agree with you!

The video itself doesn’t refer in anyway to the Nobel Peace Prize. I have only seen the media, particularly Chris Ship and Omid Scoobie use those comparisons.

It is the biggest environmental prize, and IMO is a noble initiative.

So the announcement video says Prince William and a Global Alliance so it’s not just going to be The Royal Foundation.

The video doesn't but every reporting on it does--which signals messaging guidance and framing from KP. The Telegraph, Times, etc all used that phrasing too not just Ship and Omid. And the language around "most prestigious" comes directly from the press materials released by KP.

Either way, this is a laudable project and I am very keen to see it roll out in earnest over the next year. Additional KP briefing mentioned various summits happening with the UN and such that it seems that William will be attending/taking part in.

Last edited:
I would absolutely agree with this. It's hard to deny that it's certainly a worthy cause to champion and has the potential to become a tremendously successful initiative. Equating what's being touted by reporters with what was actually released is a mistake. I'd also like to point out for all of those saying "tone it down" or "it's so extra" or "it seems awfully over the top" that those things that seem extra or over the top were primarily spouted by reporters rather than by William and Co. but even so, if this exact same thing, with this exact same wording, and this exact same press coverage and comments had come from another arm of the BRF, many of those posters rolling their eyes would be shouting from the rooftops about how great it all is.

So, just my 2 cents, but maybe it's time we all appreciate this effort for what it is and recognize that it's a tremendously important cause to draw awareness to and celebrate that William is doing the legwork to make that happen in a big way.

I agree with this. A lot of the reception I've seen elsewhere online has been positive but there is also an equal amount of unfair criticism such as William flies on private jets so he wouldn't know about climate change, etc etc. Whilst that is a point, it's a good start that William and Catherine are bringing the very topical subject of climate change to more light. Charles has always been a keen environmentalist so it's only natural that William follows in his fathers footsteps - I can imagine Charles taught him a lot about the environment throughout his life and he is probably very proud that the Cambridges are starting this project up. Good for them and I hope it's successful.

Additional info:

The funding for the prize has not been finalized yet
More information on the award panel will be coming later in 2020
First prizes to be given out in 2021

William is expected to attend COP 26 UN Climate Conference being held in Glasgow in November 2020 and The Convention on Biodiversity in China.

I can see William, Charles and Harry all attending the Glagow conference though. Would be lovely to see!

Last edited:
Thanks for additional info! Looking forward to 2020!

It seems like just yesterday people here were complaining that William wasn’t doing enough, wasn’t stepping up, was avoiding his responsibilities. And now he’s doing too much, splitting his focus, being too ambitious. Good times!

Nothing in the material sent out by KP itself indicates that anyone involved with the initiative thinks it’s directly comparable to the Nobel Prize or the moon landing. Yet. But it’s clear they have big plans for the prizes and, if so, good for them, because climate change and the environment are big issues.

From the limited information we have so far, it sounds like they’re going to be rewarding knowledgeable people with useful ideas that can be put into practice, which is great because it’s those sorts of people who have the potential to actually halt, or even reverse, some of the problems we’re facing.

I don’t see a problem with William and Kate focusing on more than one major issue. William is going to be The PoW before too long and, at that point, it would make no sense for the couple to have only one big area of focus. Charles is best known for his passion for environmental issues, but he doesn’t focus exclusively on them.

It seems like just yesterday people here were complaining that William wasn’t doing enough, wasn’t stepping up, was avoiding his responsibilities. And now he’s doing too much, splitting his focus, being too ambitious. Good times!

Nothing in the material sent out by KP itself indicates that anyone involved with the initiative thinks it’s directly comparable to the Nobel Prize or the moon landing. Yet. But it’s clear they have big plans for the prizes and, if so, good for them, because climate change and the environment are big issues.

From the limited information we have so far, it sounds like they’re going to be rewarding knowledgeable people with useful ideas that can be put into practice, which is great because it’s those sorts of people who have the potential to actually halt, or even reverse, some of the problems we’re facing.

I don’t see a problem with William and Kate focusing on more than one major issue. William is going to be The PoW before too long and, at that point, it would make no sense for the couple to have only one big area of focus. Charles is best known for his passion for environmental issues, but he doesn’t focus exclusively on them.

Yes and how ahead of his time Prince Charles has been , he has spoken about these issues for many years and was ridiculed at times.

Court Circular 15th June:
Kensington Palace

The Duke of Cambridge, Patron, Tusk Trust, this afternoon held a Meeting with Mr. Charles Mayhew (Chief Executive Officer) via telephone.

The Duke of Cambridge, royal patron of Tusk, spoke via video call with nominees of the annual Tusk Conservation Awards

"Hipólito Lima, 'Father of Sea Turtles’ is the winner of the 2020 Prince William Lifetime Achievement Award, sponsored by @ninetyone_uk. Hipólito has dedicated 26 years of his life to marine conservation in Sao Tome."

"John Kamanga is the winner of the 2020 Tusk Award for Conservation in Africa, sponsored by @LandRover. John has dedicated his career to developing a vision for the co-existence of pastoralist communities and wildlife."

Last edited by a moderator:
Prince William condemns the ambush and killing of park rangers.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...e-cambridge-condemns-horrendous-killing-park/

The Duke of Cambridge has condemned the “horrendous” attack that killed at least six park rangers in Africa’s oldest national park.
The rangers were killed as they guarded endangered species from an armed militia at Virunga National Park, a two million-acre reserve in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
The Duke, who as president of United for Wildlife has worked with park director Emmanuel de Merode, has warned about dangers to rangers from poachers.
He said on Monday night: “The horrendous attack on staff at the Virunga National Park is abhorrent and I condemn the actions of those responsible in the strongest terms.
“Rangers who work tirelessly to protect both the national park and the neighbouring communities should be honoured not attacked. They should never find themselves in a position where their lives are on the line.”

For consistency sake it would've been better had they either not used any titles (for any of the gentlemen mentioned in one sentence) or used titles for both (even though the prince normally doesn't use it in his professional life). So, let's fix it:

The Duke, who as president of United for Wildlife has worked with park director prince Emmanuel de Merode, has warned about dangers to rangers from poachers.

For consistency sake it would've been better had they either not used any titles (for any of the gentlemen mentioned in one sentence) or used titles for both (even though the prince normally doesn't use it in his professional life). So, let's fix it:

I don't think he uses it professionally as you say. I've read a few interviews with him over the years (this massacre is far, far from the only one horrifically) and most publications don't use it whilst addressing him.

Nor does he use it on his social media.

I imagine using a Belgian title in the Congo might be considered impolitic? Although it's pretty obvious just from his name. Or maybe he simply prefers "Dr".

Last edited:
I don't think he uses it professionally as you say. I've read a few interviews with him over the years (this massacre is far, far from the only one horrifically) and most publications don't use it whilst addressing him.

Nor does he use it on his social media.

I imagine using a Belgian title in the Congo might be considered impolitic? Although it's pretty obvious just from his name. Or maybe he simply prefers "Dr".

To me it was all about the inconsistency within one sentence... Even though I understand that William normally uses his title and Emmanuel doesn't.

he Duke of Cambridge, Joint Patron, the Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, this morning held a Meeting for the Earthshot Prize via video link.

- Court Circular || 22 January 2021

His Royal Highness, President, United for Wildlife, this afternoon held a Meeting with representatives from Focused Conservation via video link.

- Court Circular || 28 January 2021

CC Tuesday: The Duke of Cambridge this morning held a Meeting with Mr Anthony Juniper (Chairman, Natural England) via video link.

The Duke of Cambridge, Patron, Fauna and Flora International, this morning attended an Executive Committee Meeting via video link.

CC Thursday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom