The Duke of Cambridge and Conservation Efforts 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent news to see the @United4Wildlife
Taskforces working alongside @USFWS @DEAHQ
to disrupt a major criminal network connected to $7million of trafficked elephant tusk and rhino horn. #EndWildlifeCrime

Via Kensington Royal twitter

Great work from @USFWs @DEAHQ
, with thanks to cooperation from everyone in our Taskforces.

Criminal networks like these are difficult to detect, that's why these connections across the private sector are so important in putting an end to trafficking

Via United For wildlife twitter

An article from CBS News in America

It is a law enforcement victory, but the arrests also reflect a huge shift in strategy on tackling the global illegal wildlife trade which, to some degree, was sparked by Britain's Prince William.

About four years ago, the Duke of Cambridge, a longtime proponent of wildlife conservation, recognized that stopping poachers wasn't enough. If the world's iconic species were to be saved, it was time to follow the money.

Prince William, already one of the most recognizable faces in the conservation world, recognized the need to go after the big fish, and last month he told a group of business, law enforcement and NGO leaders gathered in London that his Royal Foundation's initiative, United for Wildlife (UFW), had struck upon a winning formula.
Read more: How Prince William helped U.S. agents bust a major wildlife and drug smuggling network

“Today, the Financial Action Task Force President and Executive Secretary met The Duke of Cambridge & Lord Hague to discuss @united4wildlife and how to focus governments on taking the money out of #wildlifetrafficking.”

* Pic *

The Duke of Cambridge, President, United for Wildlife, received the Lord Hague of Richmond (Chairman, United for Wildlife Transport and Finance Taskforces).

The Duke of Cambridge, President, United for Wildlife, received Mr Xiangmin Liu (President, Financial Action Task Force).

- COURT CIRCULAR || 12 SEPTEMBER 2019

Court Circular 12th November:
Kensington Palace

The Duke of Cambridge, Honorary Member, Game and Wildlife Conservation Trust, this afternoon received Ms. Teresa Dent (Chief Executive Officer).

Court Circular 21st November:
Kensington Palace

The Duke of Cambridge, Patron, Tusk Trust, and The Duchess of Cambridge this afternoon received Tusk Conservation Award winners at Kensington Palace.

His Royal Highness, Patron, Tusk Trust, this evening attended the Tusk Conservation Awards at the Empire Theatre, Leicester Square, London WC2, and was received by Her Majesty’s Lord-Lieutenant of Greater London (Sir Kenneth Olisa).

The Duke of Cambridge, Patron, Tusk Trust, afterwards attended the Tusk Dinner at the National Portrait Gallery, St Martin’s Place, London WC2.

Victoria Murphy
@byQueenVic
·
11m
Today Prince William is launching The Earthshot Prize to encourage the Earth’s greatest problem solvers to solve Earth’s greatest environmental problems. ⁦
@KensingtonRoyal ⁩ has described it as the “most prestigious environmental prize in history”.

I guess this is the big announcement. I would be more excited about Tour info.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
Earthshot sounds really interesting! It looks like, according to the reporters, this will be the equivalent of Kate's "Early Years" for William with him devoting significant time to it over the next 10 years.

I have a lot of questions about funding and process though. This sort of ambitious project requires tens of millions and the Royal Foundation's operating budget overall has been well below 5 million each year from what I recall. Perhaps this was why Gates' met with William and Kate? One of the prize underwriters?

More information:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1577792424

The Earthshot Prize aims to encourage and inspire people across the world to find innovative new solutions to one of the gravest problems facing the Earth.

A multi-million pound prize will be awarded to five winners a year over 10 years, comprising at least 50 solutions to the world’s greatest problems by 2030.

The prize, which has been likened to the Nobel Prize, aims to herald a new era of fresh optimism and action on the environment, replacing current pessimism.

A set of five unique challenges, rooted in science, will be announced in the coming months. An annual awards ceremony will take place in different cities across the world each year between 2021 and 2030.

Its name is inspired by the concept of moonshots, which since the moon landing in 1969 has become shorthand for ambitious and ground-breaking goals.

It is hoped that its launch will spawn new technologies, systems and policies just as the moonshot that John F. Kennedy proposed in the 1960s led to the development of new technology such as the MRI scanner and satellite dishes, smoke detectors and advanced water filters.

Last edited:
I think sounds interesting but they really comparing it to the Nobel Peace Prize and moon landing? That’s a bit ambitious. I think they went a bit overboard selling this. That said I’m looking forward to seeing their first submissions.

I think sounds interesting but they really comparing it to the Nobel Peace Prize and moon landing? That’s a bit ambitious. I think they went a bit overboard selling this. That said I’m looking forward to seeing their first submissions.

Yeah that made me significantly side-eye....But I guess the whole framing is to be bold so thats certainly bold!

I wonder what other partners are involved. WWF and Conservation International were primed for quotes but what other big orgs and individual are supporting it (besides Attenborough)?

And this is branded as Royal Foundation supported...but a prize of this size (vague though the actual $$ amount is so far) requires a lot of man-power to administer. So is the Foundation going to grow to support it? Lots of FR has surely happened and will need to continue to happen to support this. Maybe even from the dreaded American donors we are told should be avoided...

Last edited:
I think this award is a great. I’m not too concerned about the finances. I’m sure William has backers with big pockets ,who care about the environment backing him.

It does all sound a little overdone but I guess it's a laudable aspiration. I wonder whether there will be collaboration with the Gates Foundation. They would certainly make a formidable combination.

It sounds a great idea but really IMO comparing it to the Nobel prizes should come with time and from others not in the initial release. But hey its a good cause.

I wonder if the others who must be involved (for surely someone is putting the money up) have had a hand in the PR push.

I guess the noble prize and the moon landing could be seen as a bit much, but the environment is really in trouble and we really need to come up with Big solutions. I think this is great for William.

It sounds a great idea but really IMO comparing it to the Nobel prizes should come with time and from others not in the initial release. But hey its a good cause.

I wonder if the others who must be involved (for surely someone is putting the money up) have had a hand in the PR push.

That was my issue as well. Also having it listed as the most prestigious award ever. That title is earned. You don't hand it to yourself. It is just a bit much.

But despite the extraness of it all... it does sound interesting. I just hope they not building it up way too much before we have even seen anything.

Tone it done it down a bit.

It does all sound a little overdone but I guess it's a laudable aspiration. I wonder whether there will be collaboration with the Gates Foundation. They would certainly make a formidable combination.

I would guess so. William did meet with Bill Gates a while back. I would suspect it was about this.

Last edited:
General News for the Cambridge Family Part 3: March 2017

I am sure when Nobel prize was started people didn’t think much of it!

Nobel is all about innovation, so I am not surprised it is compared to that. The point is to aspire people to innovate to save our environment.

I think William likely has backing of a lot of people since his time at Davo with David. I bet he already has an international team of people who are Ready to back this.

I am so excited about this! Nobel is loosing steam with its scandals. Not a bad idea to start something new

General News for the Cambridge Family Part 3: March 2017

The video itself doesn’t refer in anyway to the Nobel Peace Prize. I have only seen the media, particularly Chris Ship and Omid Scoobie use those comparisons.

It is the biggest environmental prize, and IMO is a noble initiative.

And this is branded as Royal Foundation supported...but a prize of this size (vague though the actual $$ amount is so far) requires a lot of man-power to administer. So is the Foundation going to grow to support it? Lots of FR has surely happened and will need to continue to happen to support this. Maybe even from the dreaded American donors we are told should be avoided...

So the announcement video says Prince William and a Global Alliance so it’s not just going to be The Royal Foundation.

The Nobel Prize comparison was made by reporters. The moon shot reference was to the ability of great minds to tackle a problem and solve it, not that the prize is the best thing since the moon shot.

I think this is a fascinating and exciting project and it sounds as though it has some heavy-duty backing. People like Hillary Clinton are tweeting about it, so it's certainly getting some high-profile support.

I'm looking forward to hearing more.

And, once again, I think it's important to look at what is actually said in the news release vs. what people like Omid Scobie are editorializing about it. Most of the negative comments so far on this thread are about things that weren't actually said in the news release.

Link with more information:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...es-earthshot-prize-prestigious-environmental/

Interesting that both Prince Charles and Prince Philip were consulted. Prince Charles in particular must be so proud and happy that William is carrying on his work into the future.

Last edited:
And, once again, I think it's important to look at what is actually said in the news release vs. what people like Omid Scobie are editorializing about it. Most of the negative comments so far on this thread are about things that weren't actually said in the news release.

I would absolutely agree with this. It's hard to deny that it's certainly a worthy cause to champion and has the potential to become a tremendously successful initiative. Equating what's being touted by reporters with what was actually released is a mistake. I'd also like to point out for all of those saying "tone it down" or "it's so extra" or "it seems awfully over the top" that those things that seem extra or over the top were primarily spouted by reporters rather than by William and Co. but even so, if this exact same thing, with this exact same wording, and this exact same press coverage and comments had come from another arm of the BRF, many of those posters rolling their eyes would be shouting from the rooftops about how great it all is.

So, just my 2 cents, but maybe it's time we all appreciate this effort for what it is and recognize that it's a tremendously important cause to draw awareness to and celebrate that William is doing the legwork to make that happen in a big way.

Yeah that made me significantly side-eye....But I guess the whole framing is to be bold so thats certainly bold!

I wonder what other partners are involved. WWF and Conservation International were primed for quotes but what other big orgs and individual are supporting it (besides Attenborough)?

We cannot avoid American donors; that's where the money is.

Last edited:
We cannot avoid American donors; that's where the money.

It's a global problem and a global initiative. The announcement was made not only in English but in 7 languages, so I'm sure international money will be part of the funding going forward.

What I am interested in seeing, is from an international perspective, who was already aware of this project, and has already thrown their support behind it?

who wants to avoid the American donors.

Awards are great but I think we will have yo wait a few decades to see if they become even close to the Nobels. Sensationalism at best to compare this to the Nobels or the moon landing before it is started.

Hopefully they do have big donors to bank roll it. Be a shame after all the time and money spent on building up their mental health focus of their foundation, if suddenly huge amounts of funding and staff time is taken away from the foundation for this project.

I actually applauded the Cambridges that while they had varied other patronages, their foundations main goal was mental health and patronages around that. Splitting the focus if the foundation, now it's only the one couple, I have my doubts about.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would absolutely agree with this. It's hard to deny that it's certainly a worthy cause to champion and has the potential to become a tremendously successful initiative. Equating what's being touted by reporters with what was actually released is a mistake. I'd also like to point out for all of those saying "tone it down" or "it's so extra" or "it seems awfully over the top" that those things that seem extra or over the top were primarily spouted by reporters rather than by William and Co. but even so, if this exact same thing, with this exact same wording, and this exact same press coverage and comments had come from another arm of the BRF, many of those posters rolling their eyes would be shouting from the rooftops about how great it all is.

So, just my 2 cents, but maybe it's time we all appreciate this effort for what it is and recognize that it's a tremendously important cause to draw awareness to and celebrate that William is doing the legwork to make that happen in a big way.

No I would have the same reaction no matter the person though I can agree others might. And if on the flip side would probably agree it was over the top. I stand by my comments, including that it’s an interesting initiative.

Re: General News for the Cambridge Family Part 3: March 2017

Thank you for that message, I agree wholeheartedly! I thought it was time for the Cambridges to come up with something big and they did! It's great that William will have this big thing for himself that he can focus on, can't wait to see what they'll bring with that. Also, kudos for multiple languages!

I just wish people didn't run with the "Nobel prize" and "moon landing" things that originated with the press, not with the announcement from KP. I see it everywhere and it's kind of dissapointing, like people are just waiting for the Cambridges or William to make a mistake and using something that the press said against this initative...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom