The Duchess of Cambridge: Will she become more popular than Diana?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
William needs to shake HIS notorious work-shy image. He's stubborn and lazy to a fault.

May I ask if you have ever saved a person from a dangerous situation? Working in SAR-services is nothing for the lazy ones: you have to be constantly able to do the necessary things in such a case, so you train and work-out and are prepared for the things you will get to see which can be quite gruesome. SAR is a job for real men and women who need compassion, energy and work ethos - and this is the job William decided upon. As I said: Nothing for the lazy ones!

Princess Catherine will not be as popular in a "celebrity" sense, which I think will be a very conscious decision from her, William and his team. Rightfully so. But I do think she'll be popular among the people.

Diana's popularity were mainly due to 2 things, IMO, (1) her wonderful people skills and charitable causes, and (2) the public's sympathy around her divorce and unhappiness.

Obviously we'll have to see how Catherine does in her royal role. Charity patronages take years to develop. But I do think she'll do very well. Early engagements already point that she's a natural at this. And as a team with William, they could be HUGE.

With lessons learned from Diana's public cry for help, I doubt Catherine will be as popular in this department. Having been extremely discreet over the years, I don't see her acting out even if the marriage goes to hell (hopefully not, of course). She will also be more protected. More private.

So in short, definitely less tabloid-y popularity, with potential to be just as huge surrounding her official work -- especially when she and William officially become full-time royals.

Yes, secure in the sense that everybody has handed her everything her entire life and she's never had to work for anything. Mature? Nothing mature about putting everything and everybody else on hold to desperately run after a Prince.
I say secure and mature women are those who have well-rounded lives and accomplishments. Kate has really accomplished nothing. Oh, snagging a Prince.

Meow...........

Someone needs a hug!

BritishRoyals, x2 to your post. :)

Kate has really accomplished nothing.

Catherine graduated from one of THE top universites in the United Kingdom with a 2:1 MA in the History of Art. From a girl who's just about to go into university education that is a HUGE acomplishment. That had NOTHING to do with William, that had to do with determination, hard working and brains. Your words are incredible harsh.

I too find Mumper's rather terse words unjust.
Kate did not only attend a university, but a SCOTTISH university.
A different kind of education.
No three-year degrees, but a minimum of four years.

Kate's parents were no fools...

To say that Kate has accomplished nothing is definitely unjust...

She's obtained a degree with decent grades. Just because she hasn't forged a career out of that degree does not mean she hasn't accomplished anything. While working for her parents, she launched an arm called First Birthdays. And while her work there is largely private, her parents' business expanded to include other arms like the Cherrypicked collection and Celebrations (adult parties). They've also collaborated with Virgin (Holly Branson is a good friend) for party experiences.

God only knows how much support she's given William behind the scenes all these years. He, after all, only calls her his "rock." :) She's helped with charities. And most recently, Kate organized a flawless wedding that did the country and the monarchy proud.

And on top of everything, Kate has conducted herself with dignity, discretion and class over the years.

If all this are not considered accomplishments, then I don't know what is. If I were Kate's parents I would be extremely proud.

To say that Kate has accomplished nothing is definitely unjust...

She's obtained a degree with decent grades. Just because she hasn't forged a career out of that degree does not mean she hasn't accomplished anything. While working for her parents, she launched an arm called First Birthdays. And while her work there is largely private, her parents' business expanded to include other arms like the Cherrypicked collection and Celebrations (adult parties). They've also collaborated with Virgin (Holly Branson is a good friend) for party experiences.

God only knows how much support she's given William behind the scenes all these years. He, after all, only calls her his "rock." :) She's helped with charities. And most recently, Kate organized a flawless wedding that did the country and the monarchy proud.

And on top of everything, Kate has conducted herself with dignity, discretion and class over the years.

If all this are not considered accomplishments, then I don't know what is. If I were Kate's parents I would be extremely proud.

I agree with all of this. I also think it's an accomplishment, in this day and age, that she's maintained her dignity and good humor one hundred percent of the time. I'm not aware of one instance, over the many years she's been watched and bothered by the press, in which she's lost her temper or been anything but gracious. I always think of a picture of Kate, surrounded by photographers, one of whom has just fallen over his own feet after no doubt getting in her face - and she's reached out an arm to steady him and help him up.

We live in such a celebrity obsessed culture, where people get rewarded for embarrassing themselves, and the more crass the behavior the better. I think Kate acts as a nice counterpoint to that.

I also think it's an accomplishment, in this day and age, that she's maintained her dignity and good humor one hundred percent of the time. I'm not aware of one instance, over the many years she's been watched and bothered by the press, in which she's lost her temper or been anything but gracious.

I agree with this. She has been watched by the press for years now and, in this day and age even more than in Diana's, she wouldn't have been able to hide even the slightest mistake. Yet her image is completely intact.

I don't think she will ever be as famous as Diana, and that's good for her. Diana's fame was harmful for her.

I think I sympathize with Kate in the "she's lazy" department because I also am around her age, have degrees but still have not found a career path. I have a degree in history and she has one in history of art; I have to say I was not surprised when I read that she was idle when it came to her career choices when she had a degree in history of art. I am definitely not poopooing her education, but I know it had to be hard when you don't exactly know what you want to do to utilize your degree.

William needs to shake HIS notorious work-shy image. He's stubborn and lazy to a fault.
Yes indeed, I have rarely encountered such a lazy and notoriously work-shy Search and Rescue pilot in my life. I mean, it's not as if he actually works let alone saves anyone! :ROFLMAO:

And you know he's stubborn and lazy to a fault how?

Yes, secure in the sense that everybody has handed her everything her entire life and she's never had to work for anything. Mature? Nothing mature about putting everything and everybody else on hold to desperately run after a Prince.
I say secure and mature women are those who have well-rounded lives and accomplishments. Kate has really accomplished nothing. Oh, snagging a Prince.
Gaining a degree from her first class education is hardly accomplishing nothing! :bang:

With an attitude like yours I have to wonder what on earth you are doing on a royal forum.:whistling::whistling:

Kate is a refreshing breeze! Diana was not famous - she was infamous and an embarrassment in the end. I do not think Kate is of the temperament to unravel in the way Diana did - and that is a relief. She is a pleasant image and conducts herself discreetly and is clearly strong - she will far surpass Diana in reputation and admiration, I do believe, over time.

Diana and Catherine/Kate are two totally different people no the Duchess of Cambridge will not be as popular as the late Princess of Wales.Diana was 19 when she married into the royal family was not
quite prepared as Catherine/Kate plus she marrried a man way older man
and on top of that he did not love her she used the media to get back at
him she not only hurt him but herself and the royal family exposes herself to the media.Catherine/Kate will be supportive and be in the background she has been discrete which is good and I think her and William make a good team.

Last edited:
Kate is a refreshing breeze! Diana was not famous - she was infamous and an embarrassment in the end. I do not think Kate is of the temperament to unravel in the way Diana did - and that is a relief. She is a pleasant image and conducts herself discreetly and is clearly strong - she will far surpass Diana in reputation and admiration, I do believe, over time.

Surely you are kidding?

Diana was EXTREMELY famous (i.e. popular) in England and in the rest of the World pre scandals. Certainly after the scandals she was infamous in a not so good way, but from 1981 to 1986, she was like Gold.

What you see with Catherine and the news (and the covers) today it was like that with Diana. Only there was no internet...only magazines and newspapers. Items that Diana wore also sold out as did the magazines (especially in the states).

With that being said, I think Catherine will be as well known as evidenced by the interest in her wedding, her dress, her subsequent attire, etc. I don't think she will be as famous as Diana in the sense that the BRF has learned to taper it a bit.

In terms of visual recognition alone, I think Kate will be known by far more people than Diana could ever have been.

But the real boost for the BRF is the combination of Wills and Kate together, and the future for the British royals is looking decidedly rosy.

Just imagine how things will develop when they have children .........

In terms of visual recognition alone, I think Kate will be known by far more people than Diana could ever have been.

But the real boost for the BRF is the combination of Wills and Kate together, and the future for the British royals is looking decidedly rosy.

Just imagine how things will develop when they have children .........

Well, IMO that's like the list of the top selling movies of all time, the grosses for movies made 20 to 30 years ago are adjusted for inflation.Same thing with housing prices, salaries, etc.

So yes, in retrospect with the internet age one could say that Kate will have greater recognition that Diana but if you adjust it for "inflation" it might be about the same.

I posted my initial post because as someone who was around for Diana mania the first time (she was all in the US magazines and the Washington Post while I was growing up) I found it strange for some to think that she wasn't famous before the scandals. That is certainly NOT the case.

Either way, I don't think that Kate will use the media the same way Diana used during her last years as a member of the BRF.Nor do I think that she or the BRF wants that type of personality.

And I think she will sort of fit the Camilla mod, in terms of working as a partner to William than a competitor.

Last edited:
It's difficult to answer the question because in the first place how do you guage how popular someone is? And what criteria of popularity are we talking about - popular for clothes, popular for charity, popular for character, popular for ability to sell newspapers? In general terms, Catherine is a very well known woman and recognisable, but it's too soon to see whether she will be iconic - hopefully she won't be and will simply be highly regarded and loved.
But because Diana and Catherine can be compared because of their similar situations (marrying in to royalty) it is probably unfair to try and guage who is the most popular - abit like saying "Who is the most popular out of your mother and father" - they are both loved so teh question cannot be answered.

Surely you are kidding?

Diana was EXTREMELY famous (i.e. popular) in England and in the rest of the World pre scandals. Certainly after the scandals she was infamous in a not so good way, but from 1981 to 1986, she was like Gold.

Puzzled by your response as you seem to agree with me. :confused:

The palmy earlier days are pretty much an eyeblink - without getting into it, Diana (in the opinion of many) was an embarrassment overall in the end. A cautionary tale. Very sad.

Well, IMO that's like the list of the top selling movies of all time, the grosses for movies made 20 to 30 years ago are adjusted for inflation.Same thing with housing prices, salaries, etc.

So yes, in retrospect with the internet age one could say that Kate will have greater recognition that Diana but if you adjust it for "inflation" it might be about the same.

I posted my initial post because as someone who was around for Diana mania the first time (she was all in the US magazines and the Washington Post while I was growing up) I found it strange for some to think that she wasn't famous before the scandals. That is certainly NOT the case.

Either way, I don't think that Kate will use the media the same way Diana used during her last years as a member of the BRF.Nor do I think that she or the BRF wants that type of personality.

And I think she will sort of fit the Camilla mod, in terms of working as a partner to William than a competitor.

I agree Diana was very famous from the time of her marriage and after her death. Like many famous people she was adored and disliked. Even though she died right when the internet was taking off one can find many photos and video footage of her.
Kate is becoming very well known especially with the help of ther internet. She is already proving to be very popular especially in the fashion world.
She is respnsible for the crashing of the Reiss website.

Like it or not Diana had "charisma"and with her uncanny ability to identify and connect to almost anyone was a royal superstar. There has not been anyone anywhere with her popularity before or since.. The Duchess of Cambridge is subdued .Diana extended herself and Catherine does not as yet have that fame and mania people had for Diana.
I am certain hers will also be a popularity but of a different substance than that of Diana's who was the most popular royal ever.jmo

The Duchess of Cambridge Razzle Dazzled in Her Simple Attire At The Races

:flowers:The Duchess of Cambridge :)Razzle Dazzled at the Races today. She is making her debut in simple attire that is not overwhelming the other Royals.
She looks like an elegant lady of the Roaring Twenties. I had hoped that she would style her hair differently which she did today. William and all England should be proud of her.

Princes William and Harry are very tall men so their top hats could be an inch and half shorter.

I think William's pride in his wife is very obvious. He is constantly smiling when in her presence, and that is very touching to observe (the small touches are very sweet as well). I think Catherine's popularity will be more subdued, because she seems to be the type that doesn't mind hanging back (though from observing her and William together, she appears to be more outgoing when talking to the public). I guess time will tell.

I do not understand why a comparison between either the Duchess of Cambridge and Diana, Princess of Wales is even necessary? Diana was an incredible human being, a loving human being, a generous human being, a caring human being, a BEAUTIFUL person, both inside and out and so is Katherine.

No one can replace Diana and no one can replace Katherine, they are both spectacular individuals, in their own right.

I am very much PRO Camilla, but that should not be interpreted that I am in anyway, shape or form ANTI Diana, I am not.

I do not understand why a comparison between either the Duchess of Cambridge and Diana, Princess of Wales is even necessary? Diana was an incredible human being, a loving human being, a generous human being, a caring human being, a BEAUTIFUL person, both inside and out and so is Katherine.

No one can replace Diana and no one can replace Katherine, they are both spectacular individuals, in their own right.

I am very much PRO Camilla, but that should not be interpreted that I am in anyway, shape or form ANTI Diana, I am not.

Well said its quite refreshing to read opinions of those who like both Diana & Camilla.:)

I'm quoting myself! :p To slightly disagree - Ha!

I know her manner thus far is what is making her so popular - and hats off to her handling such a difficult passage, but it crosses my mind: what if that 'strength' and control and meticulousness will one day be turned against her in a negative way - and lord knows the press is very canny about these things.

In the end, Kate has only just started this journey. Marriage is tough - babies arrive - its not a simple dance even in the best of circumstances. I really, really hope this young lady navigates the shoals coming her way. (Diana certainly didn't and we saw the result).

Last edited:
I'm quoting myself! :p To slightly disagree - Ha!

I know her manner thus far is what is making her so popular - and hats off to her handling such a difficult passage, but it crosses my mind: what if that 'strength' and control and meticulousness will one day be turned against her in a negative way - and lord knows the press is very canny about these things.

In the end, Kate has only just started this journey. Marriage is tough - babies arrive - its not a simple dance even in the best of circumstances. I really, really hope this young lady navigates the shoals coming her way. (Diana certainly didn't and we saw the result).

Isnt that the truth marriage is tuff? The positive outweighs the negatives..
They are both young..She is a strong lady..She will do just fine~

Duchess Catherine seems to obseve inside and outside of the ARENA and acts accordingly (likle an old Englishman) which would be very difficult to do all the time.

At the end of the day it is the Media that builds up and breaks down the people on the World's Stage.

We will watch how she progress. No one is perfect so far she has done well.

No Ofcorse , but she will not have popularty like princess diana , but people wil love her almost same thing , i realy love her but not more tahn diana , maybe becase i dnot know her too much

Im sure all the hype of her "Is she going to be more popular"thing is going to make her even more popular!

I dont think Kate will become more popular than Diana, times have changed and, sorry to be a bit morbid, Diana's popularity climaxed with her premature and tragic death.

Kate will be popular no so much in people's hearts but in terms of coverage. No other CP or future Queen will be able to touch her in that respect. Because of her place within the British monarchy, Kate will become one of the most photographed and recognizable women of her time, while all the Marys, Letizias, Maximas etc can only look on with open jaws.

Its a fact that the Brits are the only monarchy that known in almost every corner of the world, and Kate will be their flagship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom