The Duchess of Cambridge: Will she become more popular than Diana?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be Jayne Fincher. Besides being a fine photographer, she's also a true professional. I think that she got out of photographing Diana--perhaps a few months or a year before her death--because it sickened her to see how the Princess was treated by other photographers.

I think after I saw a movie by a British woman photographer (that made a living for 17 years) taking pictures of Diana, Princess of Wales. The photographer was respectful of the princess. She was helping Princess Diana put together a lawsuit against the press when she died in 1997.

That would be Jayne Fincher. Besides being a fine photographer, she's also a true professional. I think that she got out of photographing Diana--perhaps a few months or a year before her death--because it sickened her to see how the Princess was treated by other photographers.

Yes, that is her name. She was the only woman photographer following the princess. She said her hardest day photographing was Diana, Princess of Wales funeral.

But getting back on topic. Ms. Middleton has it all the characters to be as popular as Princess Diana, but she stays in the background. Catherine will stay there if she wants her marriage to work. Diana, Princess of Wales when she let the common person into her private life and her high profile causes became an icon. Catherine living through Princess Diana's tragic life will be smart and stay in the background her whole royal life. So to the topic of this thread Diana, Princess of Wales will stay the more popular princess.

I Think Diana became "Popular " I Think Catherine will be "effective"

What do you mean by effective? Do you mean charity wise or royal family wise? I ask because while I have seen how well she will do on a walk about; which I think will be fine for the royal family. After all we now know she can flip a pancake and the media will get excited about it. :lol: I have not yet seen the charity aspects of royal life.

Also as an American I personally feel the media coverage is too much for William and Kate. We don't need daily updates about them. I don't even know if that many people are interested in them. The situation almost reminds me of Victoria and David Beckham's arrival. The press got all excited and the public could have cared less.

Last edited:
Well maybe the excitement will die down after the wedding... ?

Well maybe the excitement will die down after the wedding... ?

30 years ago, this close to the wedding, everyone at my place of work was talking about it and the kids were excited about it - now most of the staff don't care and the kids asked me this morning 'what wedding'. There doesn't seem to be the same excitment - even compared to Mary's wedding that we had 30 years ago this far out. Surprising to me considering that we have far greater TV and other media coverage available - or maybe because there is so much it is possible to avoid the news etc if you want to.

I really think she will become more popular than Diana (at Diana's end of life anyway)

30 years ago, this close to the wedding, everyone at my place of work was talking about it and the kids were excited about it - now most of the staff don't care and the kids asked me this morning 'what wedding'. There doesn't seem to be the same excitment - even compared to Mary's wedding that we had 30 years ago this far out. Surprising to me considering that we have far greater TV and other media coverage available - or maybe because there is so much it is possible to avoid the news etc if you want to.
Absolutely agree,unfortunately the people are much more indifferent!

Except for the public appearances (three?), I don't consider that coverage on a "daily basis" is about them personally, but rather "the wedding", and that's great publicity for tourists. For all the people who are not interested I think there are as many who are.

As to the Beckhams, I think the media hyped them much more due to his fame in his sport, a sport that is not that well known in this country. I just don't think it was the big deal to the public as it was to the media. We still saw a lot of Victoria on the pages of the celebrity magazines and everytime they flew in and out of LA there were airport pictures. At least the paps were excited. :)

Royal Fan that is what I think too. Prince William"s and Catherine Middleton's dynamics of relationship and Prince William's feeling toward publicity will just make her "effective".

The press, when it doesn't get stories, goes after the royals though now in ways that they simply wouldn't have done pre-Diana, Sarah and the 80s when they were fed stories by royals. Now, if the royals don't play ball they will simply write damaging articles about them.

The Royal Houses all over Europe try to fight against that (becoming puppets of the media). Famous is a line by Prince Willem-Alexander: "The monarchy is no ape theatre: throw a nickel and we perform a dance for you."

But it is difficult. When royals walk over the red carpet to enter a building, you see the media yelling and screaming for their attention. If they give in and pose for them, then they are 'attention seekers'. If they do not give in and just walk over the carpet, then they are 'arrogant'. It is never good.

But sometimes a line can be drawn. When the Prince of Wales married Camilla, he had a whole list of 'celebbies' invited. Then the royals themselves are blurring the line between celeb and royal. The same when Queen Silvia went to a German TV-show to accept a Goldene Bambi for her efforts in charity. Maybe the Queen deserved that prize, no discussion. But I preferred a direct connection with Drottningholm Palace and the Queen saying a 'Thank You' than that she herself came in a TV-show with German 'stars'. Sarah Ferguson, who seeks attention over and over again instead of residing in a charming village somewhere in Dorset or Hampshire is also blurring that line.

:ermm:

I am the first to admit that it is very difficult to keep a distinction between the celebbies which fill the pages of the tabloids and the royals. I think Prince William and Catherine are able to find the right balance.

Diana's life had become personally a bit of a mess toward the end, but I like that she was gaining weight, and looking more healthy. I was impressed that someone who seemed like just a baby kissing clothes horse with incredibly bad luck with men was becoming far more serious in her causes such as leprosy, aids, and especially land mines. I can't quite imagine Kate ever walking in a field with a face guard on because there might still be old mines around that have taken sight, limbs, and lives.

There very much is the blurring of royal and celebrity to some. The thing is being popular with the media isn't much. The media is seeking ratings, or with paparazzi, big bucks for a photo that nobody else has, etc.

Popularity with people/subjects can mean much more.

Mess too much with the press or people and they will turn on you though.

The media will calm down a lot after the wedding, unless it's a place where they are making an official visit, or they have a kid right away. The saving grace that William has is that his mother made such an impact (whether for better or worse) that people will always be interested in him because of that. And so by marrying William Kate will gain from that. If not for Diana, and then William, Kate would likely have went through life pretty much unknown I truly believe.

Kate Vs Diana ....

Hello, I'm new here and I agree with some and disagree with others - so am perfectly sat on a fence!!!

Will KAte be as BIG or FAMOUS as Diana .... i guess only time will tell ...

Diana was our Queen of Hearts - she spent much of her time with the sick, the needy and the under privelged. Diana gave her time to charities and missions all around the world yet at the same time suffered from sadness, loneliness, depression and an eating disorder.

The UK press highlighted and exposed that and that drove everyone around the world to want to love and support Diana.

With Kate - its very early to even try to compare the two as the William & Kate story is only just starting ....

I dont know if anyone has seen this lovely, beautiful video/picture story about the Royal Wedding ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45T9u0K5ZBw

Im not sure what it is or where its come from but a friend sent me the link knowing my love of all things Royal and i cant stop watching/listening to the song and the images.

Its such a beautiful song, as if sung by William on his wedding day to his bride and KATE looks every part the Princess in it - there's even photos of Diana in it - BEAUTIFUL.

Having the two together like this reminded me of how it all started with Diana - such a lovely, shy lady the day she got engaged to Charles - but we ALL know how that all changed, developed and grew ....

Will the same be in store for the beautiful Kate Middleton?

Only after a few years, will any of us be able to answer the Kate/Diana question and then I might be able to get down from my fence ...

I wish them both much love n' luck at the end of April and during their future lives together.

Take care ...

RM21 x

Welcome Royalmike21! Yours was a very nice post. :flowers:

I think if you feel on the fence with the whole idea, that is just fine. It is very genuine to me when posters can be like: yes, I liked Diana, but she had her problems. Nobody can be as earth moving as some people want, and are, convinced Kate or Diana is/was in reality. You expressed yourself perfectly well. Have fun posting here!

Will Catherine become a People's Princess?

:whistling:This is a different era, with the same old tune the media has the power to make or break personalities, now with the internet having facebook and other agencies who knows what kind of star Catherine would be made of, A morning star, A north star or a comet?. Time will tell.

princess diana was so special. i think we shouldn't compare kate to her as kate is from a different background and royalty is viewed differently now than it was 30 years ago. they've become celebrities really...

I feel sorry for Diana, but I really don't think she was special. She was a pretty young girl, immature and emotionally needy, and she was thrust into the RF with little preparation. Her response was to fix herself up and become a celeb. I think she didn't really understand the difference between being a royal lady and being a fashion model/TV personality. She grew and developed, as most people eventually do, and was starting to do some good in the world at the end of her life.

Not to overlook Charles's part in the mess. He should have known better than to marry a young girl that he hardly knew when he was in love with someone else. Maybe he did have to get married, but he could perhaps have chosen someone more mature to marry.

I'm hoping that Catherine is more mature and her own person, and less needy than Diana was. I'm also hoping (and I believe) that William is more mature than his father was when he married and that he is actually marrying the woman of his choice.

In short, I don't know if Catherine will become more popular than Diana, but I don't expect her try to to be a full-on celebrity the way Diana tried to be.

Diana was, of course, special. She was made special by many factors, including her innocence, and the extraordinary fact that a future King of England chose her as his wife.

She then stepped outside the box she was allotted, as so few of us do, and apparently encountered bad feelings from the Royal Family - as few of us do. She gave interviews to paparazzi and encouraged them, while also fleeing from them - she was complex and difficult and altogether unlike most people.

She grew in beauty, imagination, and style as the years went on and she took up causes that even today remain relevant and necessary. She devoted an awful lot of her life to those causes, which so few of us do.

She was, indeed, special.

I haven't been following this thread but I think Diana was so iconic. I'm not sure anyone will ever be able to reach her...

PS: Does anyone know whom Kate is getting the dress from??

Hello, I'm new here and I agree with some and disagree with others - so am perfectly sat on a fence!!!

The UK press highlighted and exposed that and that drove everyone around the world to want to love and support Diana.

Welcome to the board and your post was great for someone who supported and admired Diana but a small criticism...

not 'everyone around the world' wanted 'to love and support Diana'.

I know as many people, myself included, who preferred Charles over Diana.

That you see her differently is fine by me but please accept that not everyone loved her or even liked her - I never liked her and find it hard to find anything very much, besides her charity work, to admire in her.

Diana was, of course, special. She was made special by many factors, including her innocence, and the extraordinary fact that a future King of England chose her as his wife.

She then stepped outside the box she was allotted, as so few of us do, and apparently encountered bad feelings from the Royal Family - as few of us do. She gave interviews to paparazzi and encouraged them, while also fleeing from them - she was complex and difficult and altogether unlike most people.

She grew in beauty, imagination, and style as the years went on and she took up causes that even today remain relevant and necessary. She devoted an awful lot of her life to those causes, which so few of us do.

She was, indeed, special.

Well said I agree. As one poster said this is a different era, so time will tell if Kate will be as popular as the Princess. When Diana was killed the internet was growing and gaining popularity and industry today its huge. So we will be reading in time many articles that will be written in favor of Kate and possibly some negative articles as well. I do wonder if many girls today still dream about marrying princes and becoming princesses. IMO not that many.

I have had the same no interest responses as well. I think while the media is more pronounced these days but I would also say that the way most people feel about the royal family has changed. After all everyone in the family during the early 80s wasn't suffering the kind of scandals that hit during the 90s. There was almost a more "respectful" behavior towards them. Now that we know they are like us they are not as "appealing" for better or worse.

As for Diana I think that she was unique because she did things no one else did. It is easy to forget that without her coming first some of things we see today would never have happened. Harry's charity work with HIV/AIDS or William's work with the homeless. Many of the common touches both of her children possess can be traced back to her efforts as well as to some degree Charles. ( I think that Charles was a lot better with teaching them about official things). She also had the ability to reach across social divides and connect with people. Even her personal issues like bulimia, self-cutting, and depression are very common issues that people suffer from. When she dared to speak publicly about these issues she gave a voice to those that were suffering. I am not saying that she was perfect because no one is but I also don't think that she deserves to be crucified either.

:previous:
Just starting? How long have William and Catherine been a pair?:confused:

I say that the official story is just starting. They have been a pair for years but they are 'only now' becoming official.

Let's try to stay on topic. Will Catherine be more popular than Diana?

We dont' need to relive the Diana Chronicles (the affairs, the marriage with Charles, etc.).

Any and all future posts will be deleted without notice.

I haven't been following this thread but I think Diana was so iconic. I'm not sure anyone will ever be able to reach her...

PS: Does anyone know whom Kate is getting the dress from??

The strongest rumour is that Catherine Middleton will wear a bridal gown designed by Sarah Burton from the British label Alexander McQueen. It is just a rumour. We will have to wait and see.

:flowers:

I agree with you that the late Diana was so iconic, that it is hardly imagineable that someone would 'replace' her. But don't forget she died in her prime, so to speak. This year she would have celebrated her 50th birthday and maybe she was set to become grandmother. That is a completely different Diana than the beautiful slender youthful blonde aristocratic lady which has been set in our image, of course.

Last edited:
I don't know if the attitude of indifference is real. Diana became popular because she was to marry the Prince of Wales. He was the world's most eligible bachelor. Without him, her presence would never have emerged.

I think Kate will be popular in the beginning, she will never overtake Diana. I still think that both Kate and PW will do anything they can to avoid work, and the longer they are married the more pronounced it will become.

I can't think of a nicer way to put it.

I think Kate will be popular in the beginning, she will never overtake Diana. I still think that both Kate and PW will do anything they can to avoid work, and the longer they are married the more pronounced it will become.

I can't think of a nicer way to put it.

Do you mean that they will want to live a normal life as long as they can..or do you mean that this couple is not going to be effective in thier duties?

On the later I disagree, I think they will do what they have to do and maybe a little more. I think Kate will go above and beyond to prove herself as a member of the royal family.. of course this is my opinion. William knows what he has to do to get the job done, at the same time he does have the time to take until it is his full-time job...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom