The Duchess of Cambridge: Will she become more popular than Diana?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:
Then I'm guessing there will always be three in the marriage: William, Catherine and Diana. There is no way that Richard Kay will omit Diana from any article he writes during William and Catherine's marriage. :bang:

Don't you think that is exaggerated? And why is it so important what this Richard Kay writes? It's not like the Daily Mail is the most credible source.

I think (until there is proof otherwise) there will only be 2 people in the William and Kate marriage.

That is William and Kate.

The only people brining Diana into their marriage are the press and the people who won't let Diana rest in peace.

Amen, totally agreed.

I second that.

I think (until there is proof otherwise) there will only be 2 people in the William and Kate marriage.

That is William and Kate.

The only people brining Diana into their marriage are the press and the people who won't let Diana rest in peace.

And that is where the problems will start - the press and the public who won't let Diana rest in peace and will be comparing Kate to Diana.

Unfortunately for Kate she will have to deal with the ghostof Diana with regard to the public and the press and thus there is an extra person to consider in what she does. I just hope she can live with that ghost in her life and her marriage - every time she puts on her engagement ring she has the ghost of Diana with her.

No she has a momento that belonged to her fiance's/husbands late mother.

Kate is not the first and certainly not the last woman to receive a wedding ring that belonged to someone else.

I wonder if there would be a fuss if Tom Parker Bowles had used the ring that his parents had used at their marriage. Or David Linley? Or the Harewood boys? If the bride to be doesn't mind...why should we? Serena Linelys (as pointed out by Scooter) wedding dress was a tribute to Princess Margaret and no one raised a fuss. Carole and Pippa Middleton are seen outside of a Bruce Oldfield shop and suddenly, Diana is standing at the altar with Kate and William.

Last edited:

Kate is not the first and certainly not the last woman to receive a wedding ring that belonged to someone else.

I wonder if there would be a fuss if Tom Parker Bowles had used the ring that his parents had used at their marriage. Or David Linley? Or the Harewood boys? If the bride to be doesn't mind...why should we? Serena Linelys (as pointed out by Scooter) wedding dress was a tribute to Princess Margaret and no one raised a fuss. Carole and Pippa Middleton are seen outside of a Bruce Oldfield shop and suddenly, Diana is standing at the altar with Kate and William.

:previous: I so agree with you. And I still don't see what all the fuss is about.

Every time she reads a paper she sees herself compared to Diana or a reference to Diana - that is the ghost I am talking about - the press and the public.

The ring reminds the public of Diana and thus she can't get away from that ghost.

William's references to wanting his mother present with him on the day of the engagement and even the idea that the Abbey was chosen because that is where Diana's funeral was held (and yes I know there have been a lot of other events there but that is the one that was reported as to why William wanted the wedding there) sounds like William wants a dead woman as part of his life in a public way.

It is for this reason that she really has to start to make a statement to separate herself from Diana - to break that ghost in the public's mind.

It is for this reason that she really has to start to make a statement to separate herself from Diana - to break that ghost in the public's mind.

I think you mean well. But I do not see Catherine doing that. She is not going to talk about personal things to the news media. Their staff with monitor the the news. Prince Charles said in an interview with US anchorman Brian Williams that he does not read the newspapers.

I think Ms. Middleton is going to be a companion and help mate like the Duchess is to Prince Charles. It will be hard to get news about them until the royal duties start. The comparison will always be there because it sells.:sad:

:previous: Right...the press and the public. Frankly, there are always going to be people who can't get over Diana (both the fans and the critics). This discussion is a clear example of that.

Diana was divorced by 1996 and dead by 1997. During her marriage, there were many times that she didn't wear the engagement ring, and just wore her wedding band. She has also been dead for 10 plus years...frankly, when I see Kate wearing the ring (and I am a Diana fan)...I don't see Diana. I see Kate in a beautiful ring. But that is just me.

Back on topic...I think Kate will be as well known as Diana but not as popular. The press will certainly try to as Diana was known to increase magazine sales and the like. But I think Kate will try to fly under the radar so to speak. Above the radar enough not to court criticism about her duties but that about it.

I think you mean well. But I do not see Catherine doing that. She is not going to talk about personal things to the news media. Their staff with monitor the the news. Prince Charles said in an interview with US anchorman Brian Williams that he does not read the newspapers.

I think Ms. Middleton is going to be a companion and help mate like the Duchess is to Prince Charles. It will be hard to get news about them until the royal duties start. The comparison will always be there because it sells.:sad:

Yes, I agree that there would have been comparisons to Diana no matter WHO William married. I am just thankful she isn't a blonde. Lord save us from the comparisons if Harry marries to type (i.e. Chelsy being a blonde).

Last edited:
:previous: Right...the press and the public. Frankly, there are always going to be people who can't get over Diana (both the fans and the critics). This discussion is a clear example of that.

Diana was divorced by 1996 and dead by 1997. During her marriage, there were many times that she didn't wear the engagement ring, and just wore her wedding band. She has also been dead for 10 plus years...frankly, when I see Kate wearing the ring (and I am a Diana fan)...I don't see Diana. I see Kate in a beautiful ring. But that is just me.

Back on topic...I think Kate will be as well known as Diana but not as popular. The press will certainly try to as Diana was known to increase magazine sales and the like. But I think Kate will try to fly under the radar so to speak. Above the radar enough not to court criticism about her duties but that about it.

Not just you, I see it the same way. My opinion on this is similar to yours, but you state it in a nicer way - I can come across as explosive when I'm passionate about something.

As for the second part, I think so too and then I imagine that the press will be miffed - they might see it as going back in time +/- years when there was no Diana yet.

Last edited:
William and Harry have made statements about letting their mother rest in peace. Its the rest of us (or some of us) that can't move on.

ETA: I am not going to lie, as I will be thinking of Diana on April 29th. That she didn't live long enough to see her son marry. And when his children are born, I will think of Diana. I will think the same of Harry. If I was born during the 60's I would have thought the same for the Queen in regards to her father when Andrew and Edward was born. I think the same for my neice who lost her mother, and a girlfriend (at her wedding) because her mother was deceased. I think that is a natural human instinct.

Last edited:

She doesn't need to make a public, verbal statement but be more subtle than that e.g. use designers not associated with Diana, get involved in charities with no connection to Diana, do things Diana loathed etc. That kind of statement is what I meant.

William and Harry have made statements about letting their mother rest in peace. Its the rest of us (or some of us) that can't move on.

I disagree - if they really wanted to let their mother rest in peace they wouldn't talk about her every time they do an interview. They won't let her rest in peace so it is a double standard to ask her fans to do so.

Not use designers associated with Diana, not associate with charities that Diana is associated with? That's a little bit much don't you think? If she likes a Oldfield or Versace design and wears a dress, I would imagine she would because 1) she likes the dress and 2) it looks good on her not because 3) Oldfield designed a dress for Diana. The same with a particular charity. And for the record, I think the same for Camilla in regards to her jewels, clothes and charities.

Why doesn't she just Denounce Diana in an interview?

Again, the press will try to rehash the Diana Chronicles but I think Kate will steer clear of that.

I disagree - if they really wanted to let their mother rest in peace they wouldn't talk about her every time they do an interview. They won't let her rest in peace so it is a double standard to ask her fans to do so.

I am bordering on speechless. Frankly, I have always found you to be somewhat objective except when it comes to William and/or Diana. You are certainly entitled to your opinions and continuing this discussion certainly isn't going to change your opinion or mine.

Last edited:
She doesn't need to make a public, verbal statement but be more subtle than that e.g. use designers not associated with Diana, get involved in charities with no connection to Diana, do things Diana loathed etc. That kind of statement is what I meant.

I don't see that she should do any of the kind. Any association with Diana is purely in the minds of the press and the public who choose to see an association and I don't think that should become Catherine's problem.
Would she do as you suggest, then I think she would be reprimanded for trying too hard to not be like Diana.

Every interview?

...I have always found you to be somewhat objective except when it comes to William and/or Diana. You are certainly entitled to your opinions and continuing this discussion certainly isn't going to change your opinion or mine.
I think I will follow your example, it's becoming quite senseless to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see that she should do any of the kind. Any association with Diana is purely in the minds of the press and the public who choose to see an association and I don't think that should become Catherine's problem.
Would she do as you suggest, then I think she would be reprimanded for trying too hard to not be like Diana.

Every interview?

Yes - every interview I have ever heard them do they bring their mother into it. They won't let her rest in peace. Sure think about her every day but they don't have to tell us that they do.

She should try hard not to be too like Diana.

Sure she can use the designers but then she should expect to be compared to Diana. She will be photographed in say a Versace dress and beside her will be the photo of Diana wearing such a design.

However, if she doesn't wear those designs then she can't be compared can she?

The public won't let Diana rest because the princes keep her in the forefront of their lives.

Catherine will not be as popular as Diana...Catherine's modus operandi as has been revealed these past eight years and unlike Diana she is very discreet. Although I believe her diffidence will thaw out as she settles in her role...

Nevertheless to have your husband's deceased mother treated as an idol that you are relentlessly expected to replicate yourself after can become quite annoying even for the most humble person. Especially if it goes on for the next 30 years...or maybe William and Catherine have already worked out a strategy.

Yes - every interview I have ever heard them do they bring their mother into it. They won't let her rest in peace. Sure think about her every day but they don't have to tell us that they do.

That doesn't mean they have mentioned her in every interview they have ever given.

She should try hard not to be too like Diana.

I don't see how she is too like Diana.

Sure she can use the designers but then she should expect to be compared to Diana. She will be photographed in say a Versace dress and beside her will be the photo of Diana wearing such a design.

However, if she doesn't wear those designs then she can't be compared can she?

That will be the doing of the press that wants to recreate and the peopple who want to compare will buy into it. If I would see her in a Versace dress I wouldn't think "oh look, she is trying to copy Diana". I would think "she is wearing a Versace gown" and then look at whether I would find it flattering on her etc..
In my opinion it is really the problem of the people who choose to see it in the comparative way.

The public won't let Diana rest because the princes keep her in the forefront of their lives.

And I think that is an exaggeration.

So overall I strongly disagree with your opinion and now I am really done.

Last edited:
You guys kill me! Lol! Often I think you are kidding for how mad you seem to get when someone else has an opposing opinion to yours. Unless they are being vulgar or tossing around f-bombs what's the big deal? Why try to shut down and delete those people?

I think KM is absolutely nothing like Diana and will never be as popular. Yet why even have people thinking she is trying to follow her in any way? Why give a ring that has so much misery and infamy tied to it? (I read the ring was originally kept after her death by Harry? If this is true was it willed to Harry?) Why not steer clear of classic Diana designers at least for a while and find some young, new designers, and set her own style?

Even bringing his uncle into the ceremony is fine with me, but I hope he will be talking about the couple, not Diana, or using it as a platform to get at the royal family when it is not the venue.

You can't really compare the Linley's because they married something like ten years before Princess Margaret passed away. We have no idea what Diana would think of KM. She might have been against the ring going to his future wife. Perhaps it would have been better to pass that to a daughter,etc. to leave more time between it being used as an engagement ring. Either way that is done now, so they should move forward and set their own path as much as they can.

KM certainly doesn't need to denounce Diana in any way, yet she never even knew her. What she said in the interview about wishing she could have met her was just fine, and it's enough that everyone knows Diana was his mother. It could end there for now, no more ties are needed.

I like what Zonk said about thinking of Diana on the wedding day because she died so young and is missing that day. Diana was never a favorite of mine but I think many will be thinking that way whether they liked her, or not. Prince William need not bash anyone over the head with it on his wedding day, it's already a given for most....

Enough with with the ring...you speak about it as if it has some magical powers:

"If one discovers the password of the powerful ring it will grant its possessor any wish thus the awesome sorcery of the great, wonderful, unequaled and most popular Diana, Princess of Wales; however the possessor must be engaged to one of her two sons..."

I think KM is absolutely nothing like Diana and will never be as popular. Yet why even have people thinking she is trying to follow her in any way? Why give a ring that has so much misery and infamy tied to it? (I read the ring was originally kept after her death by Harry? If this is true was it willed to Harry?) Why not steer clear of classic Diana designers at least for a while and find some young, new designers, and set her own style?
Maybe because the ring doesn't bring up memories of misery for him. Maybe because he wants to honor Kate by giving her something that means so much. According to rumors, the ring was willed to Harry, but both men agreed that it would go to the one that married first.

From what I see, Kate hasn't used a designer that has been associated with Diana (at least not yet). Most of the clothes she has worn have been from lesser known designers - Issa seems to be her go to designer.

And honestly, it's a bit unrealistic to expect Kate to rearrange her life just so she won't have to be compared to Diana. If she likes a dress, she shouldn't have to worry about whether Diana used the designer first. Or whether she'll be compared because she ate at a place Diana once did (as was the case with her mom and sister last week). Kate is just trying to live her life, and it's sad that the media and certain members of the public feel the need to constantly compare the two women

Thanks, Mia Mae and Skippy. :D

Well, if Kate is going to try to wear English designers, there are only so many at that level.

I dont personally think Kate needs to 'make a statement' verbal or otherwise. Just get on with being the best wife/mother/princess she can be. In the end that's all anyone could ask for, no?

I feel no need to compare them. As I wrote above she is nothing like Diana, not in looks, not in charisma, not in style, nothing. Yet people here were discussing the possibility that they are bringing too much Diana to the "show". How discussing that in a Diana/KM thread is out of line, I don't know. Why it brings out such rudeness I am bewildered.

If KM suddenly showed up in a big poofy Diana dress for the wedding what would you guys do? There are other designers, and she doesn't have to stick to just British designers, that Diana never touched. Vivienne Westwood, did she ever dress Diana? Can't see it. She has one very pretty wedding dress I saw that I will post in the wedding musings thread.

Anyone who is stepping into this position would be doing themselves a disservice to try to recreate the past, but the pressure to live up to Diana will still be there. They do not live in a vacuum. Unless PW and KM can sever that delusional expectation by the press, or whoever, I see it as a problem. There is nothing wrong with suggesting KM find her own style. Shouldn't those who like Kate be encouraging that?

A big part of the problem is the vacuum in the BRF, charisma and hard work wise by the spouses of QEII's family. Andrew is divorced. Sophie seems minimally involved. Camilla all kinds of baggage and not exactly a hard worker. Princess Michael way out at the fringe. The Duchess of G getting on in years. So the press and the public are looking for a young, fresh, glamorous Princess. It is to be expected, IMO. The fact that the last young, fresh, glamorous Princess was Diana is more incidental to the story.

Very Well Put, I agree... I hope Kate makes her own way and shows everyone she can do it right and her way..

Anyone who is stepping into this position would be doing themselves a disservice to try to recreate the past, but the pressure to live up to Diana will still be there. They do not live in a vacuum. Unless PW and KM can sever that delusional expectation by the press, or whoever, I see it as a problem. There is nothing wrong with suggesting KM find her own style. Shouldn't those who like Kate be encouraging that?

Of course she should find her own style (which she seems to be doing), I don't think anyone is suggesting otherwise.

I'm sure there may be times when Kate wears something by a designer associated with Diana, and I don't see the problem with that. As others have said, there are only so many British designers and there are bound to be overlaps. The only way I'll worry, is if she starts replacing her entire wardrobe with Diana's favorite designers. And I don't see her ever doing that. She has her own style, and I think she'll keep it (and hopefully learn what does and doesn't work on her figure).

It's the media that's trying to recreate the past, not William or Kate.

Last edited:
Please, please let the world's press "get a life" and leave her be! At least for several years. Hopefully she's much more stable than Diana and able to deal with it more sensibly. I hope that she never, ever talks to the press! Do the nice photo shoots and charities and such, but please don't let the press create another "mega star"--leave that to the Beckhams and the rest of the celebrity crowd. Get some dignity back in the royal family.

Personally, I hope Harry, Beatrice, Eugenie, Peter and Zara are all given some "space" and allowed some privacy. Obviously Zara has earned some of the attention from her sport, Peter is a private citizen who happens to be grandson, but the still get attention. I hope that having several young married [or coupled] royals and near-royals will take some of the heat off William & Kate.

Sadly, no one is very excited by an 85 year old woman and her 90 year old husband, nor there 60-something son and his second wife. That means the press slobbers over the younger ones.

If only that were true....

The Press are no respecter of persons, regardless of age, beauty or any other consideration, especially when it comes to Royals.

The "circus" will come to town sooner than we think.

The public won't let Diana rest because the princes keep her in the forefront of their lives

I think there's nothing wrong with Diana's memory remaining a big part of William and Harry's private lives - she was their mother, after all.

Talking about her during interviews when it's relevant is natural, too, I think. Again, she was their mother, not some lady they met a couple of times when they were younger. There are a lot of questions the princes are asked where Diana could come up, even if the question wasn't specifically about her. But I think it's worth remembering that there are many, many times when William and Harry talk about Diana because they HAVE been asked a question specifically about her. They're not randomly injecting her into the conversation.

:previous:
Reply: "That's personal" or "I don't want to talk about it."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom