The Duchess of Cambridge: Will she become more popular than Diana?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's impossible to tell whether Kate would be as popular as Diana if she were to marry William. They are two entirely different women, in very different circumstances.

Anyway, would Kate want to be as popular as Diana? Quite possibly not.

It would be great if Kate would be more popular than Diana. 'Cause I'm fed up with the Diana-mania. :lol:

Diana sold papers and the press are waiting for someone to fill her vacancy. Kate could be just the girl for the job regardless of whether she's considered more popular than Princess Diana or not.

Kate will sell papers, but not for the reasons Diana would IMO.
She may fill the vacancy, during her possible engagement and wedding period.

Kate will sell papers, but not for the reasons Diana would IMO.
She may fill the vacancy, during her possible engagement and wedding period.

She will sell them throughout her life if she marries William. Whether she will be the cash cow that Diana was is another question - and I hope not for her sake and that of the royal family who simply don't need another showboat like Diana.

She will sell them throughout her life if she marries William. Whether she will be the cash cow that Diana was is another question - and I hope not for her sake and that of the royal family who simply don't need another showboat like Diana.

I said she'd fill papers yes, but she will IMO only fill them as often as Diana did during her engagement and wedding period. Kate doesn't have the approachablilty that Diana had, so she won't become the new "peoples princess"
You can tell that Kate knows her place now, and will know it if she marries William.

I said she'd fill papers yes, but she will IMO only fill them as often as Diana did during her engagement and wedding period. Kate doesn't have the approachablilty that Diana had, so she won't become the new "peoples princess"
You can tell that Kate knows her place now, and will know it if she marries William.

So what you are saying is that after the wedding people won't be interested in her and she won't sell papers. That means that about six months after the engagement is announced her saleability goes down the drain to you.

I think she will sell throughout her life, if she marries William, simply because she would be the wife of the 2nd in line to the throne, then the wife of the heir and then the Queen Consort. Remember also that there are a whole lot a young people growing up now who have no memory of Diana and they are approaching their teen years and for them Kate will be the royal woman of their teen years and early 20s.

Kate will sell papers because the British press will hound her, but I do not think she'll be selling papers because she's the "people's princess". I think she'll be selling papers because the press will want to be up in her business and private life and they will want to see if she could cope with being royal. Thats the only reason why she would be selling papers if she were married to William. Kate is not Diana. She doesn't have the tendency to draw people to her the way Diana did.

Bottom Line: Kate will sell papers because people are nosy, not because she's the most liked person in the world.

I agree with this, Iluvbertie. As personally attractive as Kate might be once we get to know her better, I hope that the media and the buying public will be able to give her and William some space to enjoy a personal life before William becomes the Duke of Cornwall.

Whether she will be the cash cow that Diana was is another question - and I hope not for her sake and that of the royal family who simply don't need another showboat like Diana.

Kate will be popular because of who her husband is and will be. She and William and their children will sell papers because everyone is curious and want to know what's going on in their lives. No matter what Kate does, if she does marry William, every split ends in her hair down to her patronages will make the headlines.

She won't have the "Diana effect" but she'll be popular.

I don't think Kate will be more popular than Diana per se, but she will seem like it since she'll be more accessible to people. We have to remember that in 1981 there wasn't Cell Phones, digital cameras and Internet. Know anyone can be Paparazzi. Heck! They can post screencaps form security footage online, That couldn't happen to Diana since she died when the Internet was still very young. I think the Windsors need to do some serious damage control! The media might not be so hungry if the young royals gave a few interviews every once in a while. Maybe if they actually commented on the "personal lives" of the royals. I think the public has the right to know at the right time when the heir to the throne breaks up or is in a relationship with someone, it's the least they could do!

Does anyone think it would help too if Will and Kate were a little bit more open about their relationship? They're so closed up, not wanting anyone to know anything, but maybe if they open up just a bit, it won't be so bad.

Why should Kate Middleton be more open about her relationship with the Prince?
They are not engaged, at least officially, no one knows if he will ever marry her but they do know that they are living together.
Not that many years ago a young married woman would do anything to not let anyone know the intimacy she had with a young man.
If there is no intention on Prince William´s part to marry her then it is a very uncomfortable position for her. She is reported to have given up any pretence of work to live with him and be available when he has leave or can spare a night or weekend for her. How does she spend her time? By the telephone, writing letters, talking on the telephone, knitting or working out in her own private gym., or perhaps as someone suggested here she is busy on a computer working doing something for her parents golden goose. Who knows?
Actually why is everyone so interested? Why do mainly Americans want this obscure´, until very recently, young woman to be the future Queen of, to them, a foreign country?
It is a mystery and perhaps in the future it will be as forgotten as the Koo Stark story and Koo herself.
Kate Middleton, to me, will only be of interest when it is officially announced from Buckingham Palace that she is to marry William, in the meantime I, personally, can only hope this will never happen. I say this because I don´t think she is suitable.

So what you are saying is that after the wedding people won't be interested in her and she won't sell papers. That means that about six months after the engagement is announced her saleability goes down the drain to you.

Nope, if you read my post I said that she will fill papers.
But I also said that she will sell more during her engagement and wedding period. Yes she will sell papers all her life, but not as many as she will when she gets engaged and married.
There might be a whole lot of people who don't remember Diana, but they don't really care about royalty either.

Does anyone think it would help too if Will and Kate were a little bit more open about their relationship? They're so closed up, not wanting anyone to know anything, but maybe if they open up just a bit, it won't be so bad.

That would make things worse.
If they opened up, just once the press would be on them all the time for more.

05215319.jpg picture by kinga777 - Photobucket

The guys are not looking or interested in checking Kate out, simple as that! In any event I think William would be extremely uncomfortable dating a woman who was drop dead gorgeous he likes Kate because she will easily fade into the background once she hits her 30's. I bet if it was Diana that would be different. I remember when Diane was outside a London tube station in one of her wig disguises she got a lot of very lewd comments from some workmen. Diane burst out laughing.

Diana: The Last Word: Amazon.co.uk: Simone Simmons, Ingrid Seward: Books
Diana: the Secret Years: Amazon.co.uk: Simone Simmons: Books

Diana was hugley popular leading up to her wedding and thereafter. KM is already the opposite with a lot of people so the chances of her ever being as popular as Diana after her wedding are IMO nil.

IF IF a big IF I was William's girlfriend I would ring him tomorrow tell him I'm off to visit JAPAN for a couple of month's. He's got my number! Sorry I can't be at his beck and call whenever he wants. Sorry can't make the polo am off to the theatre in New York.

Live your life for goodness sake.
Kate is living in the wrong era she would be better off in 1910 not 2010. Or even better put her in 1800 Jane Austen where she can wait for her man to propose to her heart's content, without being criticised for not working.

Kate if you were my friend/sister I would tell you to get out there and get a life. Silly girl! I hope Pippa would be a lot more feisty and independent than this.

IF IF a big IF I was William's girlfriend I would ring him tomorrow tell him I'm off to visit JAPAN for a couple of month's. He's got my number! Sorry I can't be at his beck and call whenever he wants. Sorry can't make the polo am off to the theatre in New York.

Kate is living in the wrong era she would be better off in 1910 not 2010. Or even better put her in 1800 Jane Austen where she can wait for her man to propose to her heart's content, without being criticised for not working.

Kate if you were my friend/sister I would tell you to get out there and get a life. Silly girl! I hope Pippa would be a lot more feisty and independent than this.

That is your opinion that she is not living her life, the way she should.
But obviously she is living her life like she wants to. If she wants to wait for William that is her choice, no one elses.
Also if she were to fly of to Japan when she wanted or the Theatre in New York, she would be heavily criticised for it.
She is working, she works for her family.
Pippa hasn't got a royal boyfriend, if you have a royal boyfriend, your life changes.

Sadley for me, Kate does not have any appeal or charisma. She looks bland and acts bored and mildly irritated most of the time, when we see her. Yes, she may well just blend in to the backround when she ages a little. A smile more often might help!:) Just MY opinion!

I agree totally, she is being a doormat and should try and get a bit more gumption. She would have felt right at home in the times of Jane Austen except for one big difference she wouldn´t be living or staying overnight with any man without getting a very bad reputation, it just wouldn´t be done.

Why should Kate Middleton be more open about her relationship with the Prince?
They are not engaged, at least officially, no one knows if he will ever marry her but they do know that they are living together.
Not that many years ago a young married woman would do anything to not let anyone know the intimacy she had with a young man.
If there is no intention on Prince William´s part to marry her then it is a very uncomfortable position for her. She is reported to have given up any pretence of work to live with him and be available when he has leave or can spare a night or weekend for her. How does she spend her time? By the telephone, writing letters, talking on the telephone, knitting or working out in her own private gym., or perhaps as someone suggested here she is busy on a computer working doing something for her parents golden goose. Who knows?
Actually why is everyone so interested? Why do mainly Americans want this obscure´, until very recently, young woman to be the future Queen of, to them, a foreign country?
It is a mystery and perhaps in the future it will be as forgotten as the Koo Stark story and Koo herself.
Kate Middleton, to me, will only be of interest when it is officially announced from Buckingham Palace that she is to marry William, in the meantime I, personally, can only hope this will never happen. I say this because I don´t think she is suitable.

I don't care much for Kate and I could care less about her being queen. Actually I don't think she's the one for Will and I don't think he'll marry her. To tell you the truth, I don't know why this is even a thread. No Kate will not be popular than Diana, and only God knows if they're even on the road to marriage. I agree with you, she's not suitable. In the meantime she should be working, not waiting around for Prince Charming (literally) to take her to polo.

Kate strikes me as the kind of girl who will wait it out and wait 15 years for Will to marry her because she knows what she's getting if he marries her. She's not independent and she tags along with the prince whenever she can. She does need a life. I think she finds a certain kind of joy being the girlfriend of the future King of England. She likes knowing this. I'm not sure if I trust her intentions because she once said while growing up and even as a teen she had posters of Will on her wall. Maybe she's in love with the idea of Will. But then again, there's a lot of girls out there who'll do anything to be the girlfriend of a prince whose monarchy is the most popular in the world.

I agree with you Crownprinces, I think this thread is pointless.
I don't think he'll every marry her.
And there's no proof they are living together.

^ But who are we to decide who's suitable for William and who isn't? If it's Kate, it's Kate. It's William's life and his choice.

We're not deciding anything.
We're just stating our opinions about their relationship.
This is forum about royals and something is wrong if we can't discuss our opinions here.

I don't care much for Kate and I could care less about her being queen. Actually I don't think she's the one for Will and I don't think he'll marry her. To tell you the truth, I don't know why this is even a thread. No Kate will not be popular than Diana, and only God knows if they're even on the road to marriage. I agree with you, she's not suitable. In the meantime she should be working, not waiting around for Prince Charming (literally) to take her to polo.

Kate strikes me as the kind of girl who will wait it out and wait 15 years for Will to marry her because she knows what she's getting if he marries her. She's not independent and she tags along with the prince whenever she can. She does need a life. I think she finds a certain kind of joy being the girlfriend of the future King of England. She likes knowing this. I'm not sure if I trust her intentions because she once said while growing up and even as a teen she had posters of Will on her wall. Maybe she's in love with the idea of Will. But then again, there's a lot of girls out there who'll do anything to be the girlfriend of a prince whose monarchy is the most popular in the world.

There are also those girls out there who are in love with the idea of being in love who are not actually in love themselves. Kate isn't dumb, she has to know that all this waiting is not helping her public image and with every year we believe that she is more work-shy, less independent, and more willing to follow William around like a dog following it's owner. I think she just needs to make a big change whether it be get married, get a job, or get out of the relationship.

The interview given by Charles and Diana in 1985 and the follow-up program about their working and home lives actually FED the media frenzy. The hunger about news and information about the Walses was insatiable. Doing interviews is a double-edged sword. For every person who's pleased with what a person says, one will have a negative view. I respect Her Majesty for never giving an interview.

The media might not be so hungry if the young royals gave a few interviews every once in a while. Maybe if they actually commented on the "personal lives" of the royals.

I can't believe that Kate is infatuated with William after all this time of knowing him. I'm sure that many, many girls had pictures of Prince William on their walls. He was a teen pin-up for awhile.

I'm not sure if I trust her intentions because she once said while growing up and even as a teen she had posters of Will on her wall. Maybe she's in love with the idea of Will. .

There are also those girls out there who are in love with the idea of being in love who are not actually in love themselves. Kate isn't dumb, she has to know that all this waiting is not helping her public image and with every year we believe that she is more work-shy, less independent, and more willing to follow William around like a dog following it's owner. I think she just needs to make a big change whether it be get married, get a job, or get out of the relationship.

Dear me, this seems very harsh. None of us know, really, what's going on with Kate or William, but it does seem to me that with his pick of millions of female companions, he's more than happy to share his life with Kate Middleton.

I don't know whether or not they'll marry, but they've had a long time to seek pastures a-new and haven't. I don't believe that Kate is work-shy, I've seen no real evidence that she hasn't an independent mind and I'd suggest that William follows her around as much as she does him.

Let's agree to be charitable towards both of them and hope that their mutual admiration will bear fruit and, hopefully, they enjoy a happy marriage, if that's what they both want.

Kate seems a congenial and pleasant enough young woman to me. And who can criticise William for being wary, if he is, given his parents woeful marriage.

I agree.
They're not the average couple and everyones watching them. I don't know Kate well, but I think she's been acting pitiful lately. I think she thinks that her life will truly start when she has a ring on her finger from Will. She's in control of her own life. She should do something. I've thought that maybe Kate just doesn't want to be married yet, but as time goes by I'm rethinking that.

On the other hand, I think it's wrong of William to hold on to her if he knows he's not going to marry her. If that's the case, he should let her go now and not lead her on. People will talk even more if he drags out this relationship and then dump her.

I do hope everything works out for them in the end...whether they marry or not.

This is pretty much my own opinion, Polly. Kate and William are both adults. Given that William's future wife will likely one day be Queen Consort of the United Kingdom and other countries, she's right to take her time. I like to think that she's putting this time to good use, possibly even studying about what her future role will actually be. I doubt very much that she's wearing rose-coloured glasses about what being Princess William, then Duchess of Cornwall, Princess of Wales, and eventually Queen actually means. She's no teen-ager filled with dreams of castles, tiaras, and ballgowns.:flowers:

. None of us know, really, what's going on with Kate or William, but it does seem to me that with his pick of millions of female companions, he's more than happy to share his life with Kate Middleton.

Let's agree to be charitable towards both of them and hope that their mutual admiration will bear fruit and, hopefully, they enjoy a happy marriage, if that's what they both want.

Kate seems a congenial and pleasant enough young woman to me. And who can criticise William for being wary, if he is, given his parents woeful marriage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom