The Duchess of Cambridge: Will she become more popular than Diana?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that can be explained by the differences in personality between William and Charles.

Charles likes to be in the forefront and was raised with the expectation that in any room he would be one of (if not the) most important people in it. People were to look to him. In the post-Diana world I think he's eased up a bit and has become a bit more comfortable with being second fiddle, but he certainly wasn't during his first marriage.

William, on the other hand, has always been far shyer. He would rather not be the centre of attention and only puts up with being such because he has to. I think he likes that Catherine takes some of that attention away from him.

Every time someone says that (or some variation of) I have a visual of necromancers at Althorp speaking Latin incantations....

Life is not a popularity contest.

Speaking of life Diana is dead. Can't we let her RIP?

JMHO of course.

Amen to that. Quite a few threads where posters establish a competitive approach. Pity.

I'm just enjoying seeing Catherine do her thing and I don't compare her to her late mother-in-law. Diana did what she had to do and now I hope everyone would let Catherine do what she has to do.

All senior royal ladies have their heyday.

Every time someone says that (or some variation of) I have a visual of necromancers at Althorp speaking Latin incantations....

Like some sort of Harry Potter II. Charlie Spencer has enough kids to fill that cast.

For the love of all that is sane...Don't give people ideas. please.

Diana was popular in her time, Catherine have all the time in the world to forge her own style, and personality. No matter what she does some will love her and some wont. I like both ladies.

Diana was popular in her time, Catherine have all the time in the world to forge her own style, and personality. No matter what she does some will love her and some wont. I like both ladies.

I agree. Diana had her heyday and now Catherine's in her heyday. I admired both and respect their positions.

It's an apples and oranges comparison - they're two different people in different situations. It would be a more accurate comparison to ask if Camilla will every be popular like Diana since Camilla took Diana's public (and for that matter private) role by marrying Charles.

^^^^^^
I think the better question is "would Catherine ever want the kind of fame/popularity that Diana had and loved ?" and "would the monarchy ever survive that kind of media feeding frenzy again?".
I doubt anyone else would ever seek or want such fame/popularity, and I do not believe such fame is beneficial to the monarchy in the long run.

Camilla and Catherine both believe that the priority is Charles and William respectively. Diana never understood that at all. I think it's because Camilla and Catherine have way more confidence than Diana ever had. They understand that they don't lose any part of themselves by giving Charles and William the royal priority that is theirs by right.

Good point, Cepe. Charles and William have the "royal priority that is theirs by right."
Their wives know this and expect it. And now royals are married to "commoners" rather than "nobility." The "blood royal" will become diluted if the trend continues, but there is always that "royal gene" lurking in the royal prince or princess, even if diluted. Unless people begin to elect royalty as they did in Scotland in the middle ages, but even then the candidates for king were descended from various royal claimant houses.

Camilla and Catherine both believe that the priority is Charles and William respectively. Diana never understood that at all. I think it's because Camilla and Catherine have way more confidence than Diana ever had. They understand that they don't lose any part of themselves by giving Charles and William the royal priority that is theirs by right.

Yes but the question was if Kate would be as popular as Diana. I assume they weren't asking how Charles and William felt about their current wives but how the public felt about them. Since Camilla is the replacement for Diana and not Kate I think that it would be less of an apples and oranges comparison to ask if Camilla could ever be as popular in the public eye as Diana. A Diana/Kate popularity comparison seems to be - well, again, apples and oranges. Their situations are too different.

Kate will always put William first - that is her priority. Therefore it is unlikely that she will be more popular.

And I dont think she will give a damn about it. Quite right too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom