The Duchess of Cambridge: Will she become more popular than Diana?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really mind all the "Princess Catherine" comments anymore. Yea she's not OFFICIALLY HRH Princess Catherine, but damn it, she holds the rank of Princess and she certainly acts the part every day. For me going forward it will be Princess Catherine or The Duchess of Cambridge :) Oh yea, and to keep this post relevant, I can't wait to see how she does in the coming months with her charity work :)

Sorry, if she is a Princess, she is Princess William or, more correctly, her full title and style is Her Royal Highness Princess William, Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Strathearn, Baroness Carrickfergus. And, until such time as HM Queen Elizabeth casts off this mortal coil, she will remain Princess William or Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge.

It serves no one, and irritates many when, as in this case, you are aware of her correct title and choose to "elevate" her. Those entitled to be called Princess in their own right are either born to it or, on very rare occasions, given that right, as in the case of Princess Alice.

To me it is just as rude as those who persist in calling both Catherine and Camilla by the name the held before their marriage.

I don't really want to get into an argument as I'm aware of all of your points and agree with them, but in my mind I see her as a princess whose name is Catherine, as opposed to The Princess Catherine, or Princess Catherine. Basically she's a princess in my heart, and I secretly don't mind it when the media refer to her as such. Now the 'Duchess Kate' and 'Kate Middleton' crap has got to stop--it just sounds awful, and is a bit disrespectful.

Enough of this nonsense comparison.
And enough of this style fighting for the Duchess. She married a royal, she is now a royal and she desserves the respect due to her rank. As exactly for any other commoner married to a royal

Enough of this nonsense comparison.
And enough of this style fighting for the Duchess. She married a royal, she is now a royal and she desserves the respect due to her rank. As exactly for any other commoner married to a royal

thank you, this is straight and to the point, exactly what i wanted to say.

This is for all those of us who are tired of Catherine/Diana comparisons, as well as seeing Catherine referred to as 'Kate Middleton'.

Enough With The Kate-Diana Comparisons | Lez Get Real

I am tired of the comparisons. But I still call her Kate Middleton at times. It doesn't have anything to do with disrespecting her title, it's just what we've been calling her all these years. Old habit.

Can we please just move on our lovely Diana is now in another place, Catherine has married into the BRF - she is not Diana but her own person, so let her be and lets enjoy her being a Princess:flowers:

Who Kate is now does not alter her origins. Nothing miraculous has happened; she got married.

You know, lets stop making comparisons. Catherine is her person with her own thoughts and feelings. She has similarities when it comes to that Diana had a mind of her own as well. Catherines sense of style was already in place before she married William and has now been able to enhance it since she has to look yhe part now. Diana was no fashionista until she married and then had to learn how to look royal. She actually dressed rather frumpy looking. I think Diana and Catherine are two separate people that maybe have some of the same concerns about people and problems in the world. We are just lucky that William married someone that is similar to his mom.

And yes, I think she will be as popular if not more popular as Diana was.

imo i think kate is just a popular as princess di and im sure in the future kate will be more popular than princess di

imo i think kate is just a popular as princess di and im sure in the future kate will be more popular than princess di

I don't believe she is and I don't really believe she ever will be- Diana had a type of iconic charisma that very few people have, and I think a lot of it was linked to her personal failings and private sadness- the juxtaposition of that with her beauty and charm made her very alluring and very easy to mythologize.

I don't think Kate will have the same effect because I think Kate will mostly have a pretty happy life, a successful marriage, and go about her duties in the best way she can. She reminds me of the Queen Mother more than she reminds me of Diana.

I think both women are fascinating, but in totally different ways.

I understand what you are saying but I guess we will have to wait and see. This is a new era for the monarchy and Catherine is a breath of fresh air. I think because she is more comfortable with her role and is more confident in herself than Diana was makes her better able to relate to people and circumstances. I think she will modernize the monarchy in the future and be a fantastic queen. Just my opinion.

Popularity of Diana and Kate's are different. Diana was star on her own, Kate for me is more popular because she married William (who's Diana's son). Diana had 'something' what made her a 'star' among royalty, Kate doesn't has that charisma. She will be popular when she'll prove that she's good wife, mother (in the future) and hardworking member of BRF.

LadyGabrielle said:
I understand what you are saying but I guess we will have to wait and see. This is a new era for the monarchy and Catherine is a breath of fresh air. I think because she is more comfortable with her role and is more confident in herself than Diana was makes her better able to relate to people and circumstances. I think she will modernize the monarchy in the future and be a fantastic queen. Just my opinion.

Oh I agree completely that she'll be a fantastic queen. I just don't think she'll have the same type of popularity Diana had.

I don't think Catherine will be as popular as Diana. I don't think she wants to either. Part of Diana's popularity was all of the scandal surrounding her. Catherine and William seem to be pretty boring (in a good way) and the Duchess seems pretty well balanced emotionally (nothing against Diana). A lot of the press and interviews Diana did gave her a lot of exposure. They don't seem like things that Catherine would do.

I also do not think Catherine will be as popular because there seems to be some backlash again Catherine online with those "Waity Katie" and "Duchess Dolittle" and random taken out of context videos. I wasn't really old enough to notice, but was their backlash against Diana? I'm assuming the backlash against Catherine are people jealous about her marry William.

I think she is and will be increasingly popular. The ladies occupy different positions within the BRF. I just think Catherines popularity will not be the "fashionsista" "Dynasty Di" mania we saw in the 1980s and hopefully there will never be the divorce drama/I am a victim/I want to be Queen of Hearts soap opera of the 1990s.

Well as long as William and Kate make each other happy we won't be seeing that.

Anyway, my imo stays the same "no". Catherine doesn't have that same iconic appeal a Diana, an Audrey, or a Grace had. She is already known around most parts of the world and that is good enough. Diana sadly had much too much fame. Kate does not need that. Today royalty is out-shown by intriguing or trashy celebrities. Most women I know loved the wedding but find Catherine to be bland and ambition less. We're in an age where women are now professionals and corporate leaders, not dreaming about marrying a prince.

Also these constant comparisons to Diana such as will she be more popular or her dress is just like Diana's who looks better; its getting ridiculously repetitive and tiresome.

Last edited:
I didn't read all 52 pages of this, but let me say there will never be another Diana. (Some might say that's a good thing.) Every woman who married into the BRF since 1981 has been compared to Diana. Fergie, Sophie, Camilla, and now Kate. It is terribly unfair. Can you imagine being compared to your deceased mother-in-law whom you've never met? I will say that William & Kate do not "grab" me the way Charles & Diana did. I hadn't been following Wills' love life for a while, but I knew he had a girlfriend named Kate back in college. To be honest, I was surprised he was still with her; I just assumed William would have a string of girlfriends like Charles did. Kate is so unbelievably boring, I had a difficult time getting excited about the wedding. Part of Diana's mystique is that she came seemingly from nowhere. It was like "Who is this beautiful girl Prince Charles captured?" and there was something mysterious about her for a long time. Kate has been around so long, it's not the same thing. About Diana's dress sense, someone called her 'frumpy'. She wore a lot of ruffles and frills in the early days, but she was young enough to get away with it and at least she had a style.

More populat than Diana? I don't think so: Diana had an amazing charisma and very tender heart; there will be no other Princess like her.

Last edited:
Turning back to the topic, information from twitter(Robert Jobson):
"Madonna has revealed that she would like to make a movie of Prince William and Kate.I think maybe it is too soon to make a film about William and Kate but I definitely would if I could wait a decade first," Madonna said."I like Kate Middleton and think she's quite chic and intelligent. I hope she's a fan of mine, too," Madonna said.

Turning back to the topic, information from twitter(Robert Jobson):
"Madonna has revealed that she would like to make a movie of Prince William and Kate.I think maybe it is too soon to make a film about William and Kate but I definitely would if I could wait a decade first," Madonna said."I like Kate Middleton and think she's quite chic and intelligent. I hope she's a fan of mine, too," Madonna said.
Rather bold of Madge, IMO.

Whatever you may think about Madonnas music or artistic value,she is a highly successful businesslady-a movie about William&Catherine is going to sell out,no matter if it´s good or bad.
That said,I hope that Madonna will find something else to do because IMHO there are many directors who are more qualified for making a film that will do them justice.

Whatever you may think about Madonnas music or artistic value,she is a highly successful businesslady-a movie about William&Catherine is going to sell out,no matter if it´s good or bad.
That said,I hope that Madonna will find something else to do because IMHO there are many directors who are more qualified for making a film that will do them justice.
Oh I have the utmost respect for Madge. Janet Jackson has more talent in her pinky than Madonna has in her person however no one has worked harder to get where she is than Madonna. That being said, I still think it rather bold of Madge to cast that remark out there to see what she can fish out of the Windsor sea.

I totally agree,Madonna is very ambitious,hard-working and disciplined & she is always saying what is on her mind...often she is just saying stuff that is bold or controversial to get a top story.
I don´t believe there will be a William&Catherine movie in the close future,but Madonna could write a song for Catherine,would be fun:D

Making a movie on the duke and duchess of Cambridge would be nice but I just don't think it's the right time.

Don't think Madonna would do directorial justice to an epic film on wills and Kate, sorry!

I wonder why Diana is always brought up in these articles? It's almost as though on her own Kate has no substance, cannot be taken seriously. She must always be measured against Diana - in whatever way is decided. Purely subjective, of course. Its as though its only through Diana that Kate's actions can have any merit. As long as she is comparing favorably with Diana she is doing okay. Is this fair to the woman? Why do they do it?

I do like the more classic ensemble she chose this time. Much better.

I wonder why Diana is always brought up in these articles? It's almost as though on her own Kate has no substance, cannot be taken seriously. She must always be measured against Diana - in whatever way is decided. Purely subjective, of course. Its as though its only through Diana that Kate's actions can have any merit. As long as she is comparing favorably with Diana she is doing okay. Is this fair to the woman? Why do they do it?

I do like the more classic ensemble she chose this time. Much better.

Perhaps its a remnant of the cashcowmania that Diana was good for during her years after her marriage into the royal family. There are still quite a few people out there that will eat up anything and everything that has to do with her. For the most part, looking at straight journalistic reporting on the various events and engagements that Kate has done, very little comparisons are made.

Will the comparisons be there I wonder when Harry marries and his wife begins to do royal engagements? Perhaps it will be even more critical as she'll not only be compared to Diana but also to Kate. We'll see when the time comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom