The Duchess of Cambridge: Will she become more popular than Diana?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Especially since William switched to Geography. Shouldn't she have switched as well?

Especially since William switched to Geography. Shouldn't she have switched as well?

Not necessarily as they she had already meet him by then. Doesn't the story go something along the lines that he wanted to leave uni and she encouraged him to stay and change his major?

If she had already met him and didn't switch when William did. She was obviously personally interested Art and History.

How do you know that she wasn't already enroled when Williamm decided what to study :p And why should she have gone to Italy after she received her degree??

I don't know that but I am simply suggesting that we can't assume that she has an interest in things simply because she studied them but maybe she had an ulterior motive.

There are a number of reasons to go to Italy - I have been there with no interest in Art at all. History (some of it yes but my visits to Italy have been because it is a lovely country to visit and the people are great not for the history or art).

She may have a genuine interest of course but she might not - that is all I am saying.

...I am simply suggesting that we can't assume that she has an interest in things simply because she studied them but maybe she had an ulterior motive...
I see what you are saying but I think it is far-fetched. You might as well say that she only decided to go to St. Andrews to try to catch the big fish, which would make it all false. I think William would have caught on quite soon, if it had been the case.
So no, I don't buy that.

But... (on a funny note): why don't we try to enquire for her application form to see why she chose art history? :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
If she had already met him and didn't switch when William did. She was obviously personally interested Art and History.

I would think so too.

Not necessarily as they she had already meet him by then. Doesn't the story go something along the lines that he wanted to leave uni and she encouraged him to stay and change his major?

I would think that she didn't want him to throw away his education, which is admirable - imo.

Last edited:
...I am simply suggesting that we can't assume that she has an interest in things simply because she studied them but maybe she had an ulterior motive.
She was there for several months. I doubt that she would do this and later claim that it was out of interest, if there would be a possibility to prove that this was not the case...

This rumor is ridiculous. She and him were dating different people at the time. if she went to Italy we can assume the interest was already there. Didn't she help organize an photo exposition?? please...... NEXT :cool:
Btw, I don't know if everybody have already read this article, but I found it delicious amusing, specially for those with so many questions about their relationship.

Prince William and Kate Middleton: Personal time with the royal couple - Accidentally Sexy

(these lady who wrote it would've been able to get way more attention if she had some really dirt stuff)

Diana did work at some sort of a daycare after her relationship with Charles was public or there would have been no cameras outside her work to take the infamous "no slip sun behind her" shot where the shadow of her legs could be seen a bit through her skirt.

The problem between comparing them is more than 20 years gone past and perhaps a lot of old monarchists that were around then are long gone now. Also the difference between new on the scene 19 year old, and around forever it seems almost 29 year old is vast at the best of times.

I didn't care much for Diana but it seems like it is okay to make not nice comments about her (and elsewhere Fergie) without the "proof" to back up the comment, yet say anything about other royal women and you're suddenly the devil. It has to be even on these boards doesn't it? It certainly is not bashing to say someone is rich and spoiled if that is how they act. If you don't agree say it but add why you think she's not. Does anyone here know any of these royals personally? So all we have to go on is what we see and how they behave.

As for the repeated claims that William is in love with her and her with him how does anyone know that? I have yet to find anybody who can show a clip where either of them even can squeeze out the word love. William's reason he gave for marrying her was that it was time. Not exactly dazzling. They appear to like each other and I hope that will be enough for them. It would not be for me.

People say here that KM/CM has worked several places including her families business, yet none of these several jobs are named so I am unaware of her doing much. Give me names and dates people. I have seen photos of her sister Pippy or Pippa? :) though "working" for the family amid cupcakes and candy in a magazine.

I have wondered if KM/CM decided on that school before hearing William was going there, or after? (Because if it was after IMO I think that could be called stalking or sexual harassment! :ROFLMAO:)

As for Diana being a "scandal", that is just someone's opinion but it was stated in a way that sounds like it's a fact. But really don't all the grown ups on here really know that all the quoted stories, articles, are also mostly full of opinions, not always facts? Yet to Tyger it is a fact that she thinks Diana was a "scandal". So I don't mind.

I think that almost every candid photo I have seen of KM/CM she has less than delicate ways about her. I shuddered when I heard that she will be getting out of a car in a fancy wedding dress, because she gives everybody an eyeful when she tries to get out of a car in casual clothes. At least with a carriage she could step down, helped, more gracefully, and not have her boobs popping out as part of the wedding album ;)....

Will KM/CM be more "popular"? No.

Is it good or healthy to even try to go after that popularity? No.

Could she even achieve that popularity if she tried, or wanted to? No ("in my dang opinion" so nobody feels the need to ask me for proof of it).

Happy New Year everyone!

Last edited:
:previous: You see, the reality is that both William and Kate are very private people, so any information released 99% of the time comes from the so called "sources". No one can say for sure how they fell about each other. We can only hope THEY have made this life-long commitment based on a mutual decision.

And that's my attitude, I wish for the best.

So just because not everything about them is out in the open there are doubts about the sincerity of their relationship and engagement and everything else?

That is interesting...

Skippy said:
So just because not everything about them is out in the open there are doubts about the sincerity of their relationship and engagement and everything else?

That is interesting...

Of course there are doubts...I mean just look at how discreet she has been over the years about her relationship with William...you call that being sincere! There must be some scheme at work here...(sarcasm)

Kate has not met the requirements for a royal bride concerning the type of employment as well as the number of years at such employment one must have to marry a prince, unlike Diana, according to Letters Patent...(sarcasm)

William did say Kate was "special" to him, as special to him as his mother, but so what!!! Being special to someone, special enough to marry that person, is nothing compared to being the person someone else was quoted in a tabloid saying that they loved...(sarcasm)

As long as this continues she'll never be remotely as popular as Diana.

I just meant to say that some people seem to be really skeptical, which I can understand, but it's not like we are entitled or have the right to know everything about them.

I would say: give her the benefit of the doubt.

And I don't wish for her to be remotely as popular as Diana, neither do I think either of them would want it. It didn't bring her anywhere in the end. Diana's popularity was incomparable and (hopefully) taught some very important lessons to those involved.

I think William and Catherine are bringing some discretion back to the monarchy, but since it has grown into a place where almost everything is open and public I would say it seems like some feel that something which is kind of a possession is being taken away.
Imaging saying "help! No, it's ours! We have the right to know everything, don't you dare get your hands on it!":eek:

That is my opinion.

I agree Skippy. Less is more, and being discrete is better for the young couple and the royal family. If they show any type of real emotion in public can you imagine? Criticized or hounded. I never could understand how some people and media outlets are all now supposed experts about Will/Kate's relationship. They've been on/off for 8 years, and we base our judgements on some photos and a 16 minute interview? They are driving the media and public mad with their low key profile, lol. I find that very amusing!

As for the repeated claims that William is in love with her and her with him how does anyone know that? I have yet to find anybody who can show a clip where either of them even can squeeze out the word love. William's reason he gave for marrying her was that it was time. Not exactly dazzling. They appear to like each other and I hope that will be enough for them. It would not be for me.
Actually, that's not the only reason he gave. One of the reporters asked him why it took so long to propose -"The timing is right. We're both very, very happy, and I'm very glad that I have her." He also said that Kate was very special to him, and he wanted to spend the rest of his life with her. So, he may not have used the word 'love", but he did make it very clear that he loves her.

People say here that KM/CM has worked several places including her families business, yet none of these several jobs are named so I am unaware of her doing much. Give me names and dates people. I have seen photos of her sister Pippy or Pippa? :) though "working" for the family amid cupcakes and candy in a magazine.
I can't find the article but she supposedly worked a few places during her summers while at university...waitressing, I think. She of course worked for Jigsaw, and she's been working for her family for 3 or 4 years.

I have wondered if KM/CM decided on that school before hearing William was going there, or after? (Because if it was after IMO I think that could be called stalking or sexual harassment! :ROFLMAO:)
Well it was announced that William would attend St. Andrews in the middle of August. I don't know the requirements for UK universities, but that seems a little late for her to apply for enrollment. Would she have even been able to get accepted that late? I'm not saying it's impossible that Kate chose to attend after she found out he enrolled, but I think it's highly unlikely. Funny enough, female enrollment supposedly went up 40% during his 2nd year. :lol:

I think that almost every candid photo I have seen of KM/CM she has less than delicate ways about her. I shuddered when I heard that she will be getting out of a car in a fancy wedding dress, because she gives everybody an eyeful when she tries to get out of a car in casual clothes. At least with a carriage she could step down, helped, more gracefully, and not have her boobs popping out as part of the wedding album ;)....
I'm not going to fault her for the few times the paps stooped so low as to take those type of photos. It's something that female celebs have complained about for years (I remember Emma Watson discussing it). Plus, that was like 4 years ago. It's obvious that Kate now knows she has to be careful when around the paps.

Will she be as popular as Diana? No, I don't think so. Nor would I want her to be. That type adulation can take a toll on a person. It's way too much pressure.

I think people are going to be very disappointed if they're expecting another Diana. For one, I just don't see Kate courting the media the way Diana did - giving interviews, doing photoshoots. Plus, I think William saw what his mother went through and wants to make sure that Kate doesn't have to endure that type of scrutiny. So she'll more than likely be quite boring to some. She'll do her job, but probably try and stay out of the spotlight when not doing royal duties.

Last edited:
As for Diana being a "scandal", that is just someone's opinion but it was stated in a way that sounds like it's a fact. But really don't all the grown ups on here really know that all the quoted stories, articles, are also mostly full of opinions, not always facts? Yet to Tyger it is a fact that she thinks Diana was a "scandal". So I don't mind.

I would say that when a Crown Princess is revealed to have a string of lovers - that is a scandal. I would say that when a Crown Princess stoops to engage the tabloid press in tittle-tattle - that is a scandal. I would say that when a Crown Princess suggests publicly that the Crown Prince would find being King 'difficult' - that is a scandal. By any measure of history, Diana will be known as being the center of scandal. It got to the point that whenever there was a Diana picture or Diana article one winced - I did. To my mind she was an embarrassment and it became excruciating to watch. My hope is that she was a blip, not the norm for the future. Saying this does not mean I do not have compassion for her. I do.

Catherine seems to be a far more mature and 'seasoned' woman - still young, though, and I'm sure the full brunt of what she is taking on will not be wholly clear to her until she's 'in it' - which is why I think the 'seclusion' early in the marriage is a wise step. I look forward to a return to a dignified discretion - and clear boundaries - with the advent of Catherine on the scene. A return to some British reticence would be appreciated from this quarter. ;)

Last edited:
Let's try to keep the thread on topic.

There is no need to relive the Diana Chronicles (her marriage, her respectablity, her affairs, etc.).

Last edited:
It is my opinion that Kate will be her own princess, and not try to out-do or copy in any way Williams mother. She will be different and unique, which is how it should me IMO.

Patra said:
It is my opinion that Kate will be her own princess, and not try to out-do or copy in any way Williams mother. She will be different and unique, which is how it should me IMO.

I don't think it's a matter of copying so much as will she be as popular? And I believe the answer is a clear no.... And I am assuming here popular means famous, she may be as well liked but not nearly as well known IMO

I don't think it's a matter of copying so much as will she be as popular? And I believe the answer is a clear no.... And I am assuming here popular means famous, she may be as well liked but not nearly as well known IMO

I disagree. The woman who is engaged to marry the second in line to the British Throne AND the son of Diana is of major interest. From here on out, the media will be following everything she does. She is beautiful, stylish and from all reports a really sweet person.

I can't imagine that she isn't going to popular in her own right once she establishes herself in her role within the RF. What I don't think we will see is the drama and scandals that plagued the RF with Diana and Sarah. Kate is very loyal to William and and has had years to get to know him (and he her) better than any other fiance of the RF prior to marriage...with the exception of Prince Charles and Camilla.

texankitcat said:
I disagree. The woman who is engaged to marry the second in line to the British Throne AND the son of Diana is of major interest. From here on out, the media will be following everything she does. She is beautiful, stylish and from all reports a really sweet person.

I can't imagine that she isn't going to popular in her own right once she establishes herself in her role within the RF. What I don't think we will see is the drama and scandals that plagued the RF with Diana and Sarah. Kate is very loyal to William and and has had years to get to know him (and he her) better than any other fiance of the RF prior to marriage...with the exception of Prince Charles and Camilla.

Oh I believe she will be followed and photographed and famous but Diane is arguably the most famous women in the world (still) and Catherine very possibly will not be.... I don't think IMO the US, for example, follows her or cares as they did Diane ( I base this on the fact that she doesn't sell out mags here like Di did and that only 1 mag, People, gives regular updates) so IMHO after the wedding the interest in her will wane a bit, pick up when she has baby, and then wane again ..... I am talking 'famous' not popular as member of BRF, in that regard I agree she will be very popular as she gains her footing!

:previous: I disagree to some extent.

Yes, some of the covers with Catherine didn't sell out like the Diana ones did. But People magazine in the past has put Diana on the cover quite frequently in the early days of the Wales marriage, and they all weren't best sellers all the time. The press in the early days of the William/Kate engagement were doing too many stories. Too many stories without enough substance. And frankly, unless you are true royal watcher...you were being ambushed by stories about people you didn't care about. Right now...its at a good level.

Frankly, comparing the Diana situation (where she was a member of the BRF and had a lot of good and bad stories to talk about) with Kate who is not yet married is like comparing apples to oranges. Or in another context, comparing Thriller album sales to subsequent Michael Jackson albums or other Jacksons album sales. You are not going to get a Thriller every time you go into the studio. So its silly to compare Kate cover sales to Diana.

Also, in regards to the updates, a lot of the tabloids are giving regular Kate/wedding updates not just People. I know I have seen news of the wedding (not accurate by any means) on the Today show, E, Extra, etc.
so someone thinks that some people in the US are interested.

Last edited:
Zonk said:
:previous: I disagree to some extent.

Yes, some of the covers with Catherine didn't sell out like the Diana ones did. But People magazine in the past has put Diana on the cover quite frequently in the early days of the Wales marriage, and they all weren't best sellers all the time. The press in the early days of the William/Kate engagement were doing too many stories. Too many stories without enough substance. And frankly, unless you are true royal watcher...you were being ambushed by stories about people you didn't care about. Right now...its at a good level.

Frankly, comparing the Diana situation (where she was a member of the BRF and had a lot of good and bad stories to talk about) with Kate who is not yet married is like comparing apples to oranges. Or in another context, comparing Thriller album sales to subsequent Michael Jackson albums or other Jacksons album sales. You are not going to get a Thriller every time you go into the studio. So its silly to compare Kate cover sales to Diana.

Also, in regards to the updates, a lot of the tabloids are giving regular Kate/wedding updates not just People. I know I have seen news of the wedding (not accurate by any means) on the Today show, E, Extra, etc.
so someone thinks that some people in the US are interested.

Oh yes I am definitly one of those interested! Ok about the cover sales, especially nowadays when every story is available on the internet too in generals sales are down so you're right it's comparing apples and oranges. I guess you said it in a better way then I could, comparing Kate and Diana as far as 'popularity' is comparing Thriller to other MJ albums, they maybe awesome but they never be as epic as Thriller. That's sorta what I was getting at and you put it so much better, Thanks!!!!

Oh I believe she will be followed and photographed and famous but Diane is arguably the most famous women in the world (still) and Catherine very possibly will not be.... I don't think IMO the US, for example, follows her or cares as they did Diane ( I base this on the fact that she doesn't sell out mags here like Di did and that only 1 mag, People, gives regular updates) so IMHO after the wedding the interest in her will wane a bit, pick up when she has baby, and then wane again ..... I am talking 'famous' not popular as member of BRF, in that regard I agree she will be very popular as she gains her footing!

Right now we're looking at Kate as a fiance' of the second in line to the throne and Diana's popularity spanning her entire years as a fiance', then wife, then ex-wife of the Prince of Wales. Comparing Kate's popularity as compared to Diana's would really have to be historical and looking back on Kate's entire lifespan with the BRF also. We have to remember too that in years to come, this woman is going to be Queen and I imagine that every move she makes will be newsworthy. We have no crystal ball to look into the future but given the years that William and Kate have taken to come to the decision to marry, I think they will be a strong couple together much along the lines of Elizabeth and Philip. Diana's popularity was more like a blitz over just under 20 years. Kate's will be steady perhaps for the next 50 or so.

Osipi said:
Right now we're looking at Kate as a fiance' of the second in line to the throne and Diana's popularity spanning her entire years as a fiance', then wife, then ex-wife of the Prince of Wales. Comparing Kate's popularity as compared to Diana's would really have to be historical and looking back on Kate's entire lifespan with the BRF also. We have to remember too that in years to come, this woman is going to be Queen and I imagine that every move she makes will be newsworthy. We have no crystal ball to look into the future but given the years that William and Kate have taken to come to the decision to marry, I think they will be a strong couple together much along the lines of Elizabeth and Philip. Diana's popularity was more like a blitz over just under 20 years. Kate's will be steady perhaps for the next 50 or so.

I see your point- but for it's like comparing Michael Jordan to LeBron James (sorry for the US reference) - LeBron is famous and well known now but not to the extent of Jordan fame and he never will be. But you're right who knows once she is Queen what shall happen- but for now that is my opinion :) and isn't the very purpose of this thread answering a question with conjucture? I mean who knows if Diane would have remained as popular had she not died young or who knows what Kate's appeal will be like in ten years? :) so i could be way off-

Last edited:
MRSJ said:
I see your point- but for it's like comparing Michael Jordan to LeBron James (sorry for the US reference) - LeBron is famous and well known now but not to the extent of Jordan fame and he never will be. But you're right who knows once she is Queen what shall happen- but for now that is my opinion :) and isn't the very purpose answering a question with conjucture? I mean who knows if Diane would have remained as popular had she not died young or who knows what Kate's appeal will be like in ten years? :) so i could be way off-

The term "popular" is a broad term...do you mean recognizable? If so, then Diana should not be Kate's role model in that sense, for no one is more recognizable the Queen, IMHO. Or do you "popular" in the sense of affection by people? What do you imply when using the term "popular" when comparing Catherine to Diana?

Sherlock221B said:
The term "popular" is a broad term...do you mean recognizable? If so, then Diana should not be Kate's role model in that sense, for no one is more recognizable the Queen, IMHO. Or do you "popular" in the sense of affection by people? What do you imply when using the term "popular" when comparing Catherine to Diana?

I can't speak for anyone else but for myself I was thinking famous/well known worldwide. I don't mean like 'oh I recognize she is Queen of England' I mean like famous 'oh that is Kate!' ..... I don't know what the original definition of popular the person who created the thread was using, I am just answering the question in my opinion. If popularity, for this instance, is being known because she is/will be Queen does that mean Camilla will be as popular as Diana because she will one day be Queen? IMO Diana is a well know icon and Kate, as herself, will not become such......

If popular means well liked by people then yes I believe she will be very well liked once she becomes official member....I guess I am trying to answer with both uses of 'popular' -

Last edited:
Definition of popular = regarded with great favor, approval, or affection especially by the general public.

I think Catherine will experience a different kind of popularity throughout her life than Diana did. More in a discreet, 'she does her job/duty well and is an asset', respect kind of way than the publicity blitz/glamour way.

As my picture shows, I'm a fan of Diana, but must agree with those who are saying that her fame was not something you'd want to emulate. It came with a lot of heartache.

I HATE [strong word but needs to be use here] when people write things like: "OW poor Kate, she's trying to take Dianna's place or She will never be half of what Diana was or worse "Diana would be so upset with William". Those people need to go back to feed their 17 cats and move on!!

The times are changing, the monarchy doesn't seem to be as popular as it was 30 years ago and that has nothing to do w/ Kate.

And about selling magazines. let us not forget what sells well these days [USA wise]: Kardashians, Sandra Bullock and her divorce , the ex-Playboy girl with her post-pregnancy bikini body, Teen Moms! argh....!

Let's give here some time, I could bet that she has all the best intents :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom