The Duchess of Cambridge: Will she become more popular than Diana?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully no more media friendly brides and their families will join the firm.
Goodness knows the RF have had enough controversies to last a lifetime.

Things have become very quiet lately on the Middleton front. :)

I think let them decide when and where they want to get married or if they want to.

Beautifully stated.
We met Princess Diana when she was a young lady and bride. Her obvious warmth and smile touched so many of us. We were captivated from the outset.

No offense to Kate but as she had just been just a girlfriend to date, and understandably guarding her privacy, we have no sense of who she is.

Diana wanted her priavcy too at first she complained about the press all the time her Father even went on TV saying it was the most awful time (before the engagement) because she was on her own and they (the press) were everywhere... She also stated in later years that the press was the most intrusive...untill she learn how to use them for her work..

If the British Royal Family can withstand the Woodvilles, the Nevilles, the Howards the Mountbattens and the Spencers, surely they can handle the Middletons.

I could not agree more... I don't see what is so bad about the Middletons. Yes, we know they are not old money but they have worked hard to make a better life for all three of their children... I don't believe the stories about sending Kate to ST Andrews...for reason of find her prince...and even if it was factor... he fell in love with her so who cares.. there are not many women on this earth who have not found a man that they wanted to be with and decied to go after him. Just happens her man is a prince.....;)

These spurious musings do nothing to support the monarchist cause. Please try and leave the prurient gossip to the "celeb" publications.

These spurious musings do nothing to support the monarchist cause. Please try and leave the prurient gossip to the "celeb" publications.

Could you please explain this comment as I simply don't understand it?

And who says they were trying to "support the monarchist cause"?

I could not agree more... I don't see what is so bad about the Middletons. Yes, we know they are not old money but they have worked hard to make a better life for all three of their children... I don't believe the stories about sending Kate to ST Andrews...for reason of find her prince...and even if it was factor... he fell in love with her so who cares.. there are not many women on this earth who have not found a man that they wanted to be with and decied to go after him. Just happens her man is a prince.....;)

I do not think that it just happened that her man is a prince. Kate said herself that she has always been crazy for Will. She mentioned that as a young girl and a teen she had Will posters everywhere...Will was basically her dream man. I'm not saying she intentionally sought him out, but I'm also not saying she just "happened" to meet him. Maybe meeting him was exactly what she wanted to do.

I think that it' fair to say that Diana handled things just right when the press started hounding her. She was approachable enough to give the impression of a sweet, polite girl who would be perfect for Prince Charles.

OTOH I think that Kate's handling of the press is even better. She's refusing to play their game. She's keeping herself to herself and certainly can't ever be blamed of manipulating them.
Beautifully stated. We met Princess Diana when she was a young lady and bride. Her obvious warmth and smile touched so many of us. We were captivated from the outset.
I think that the same was probably true for a lot of girls who were Kate's age, in love with the "fantasy" of Prince William. The difference is that Kate knows the real Prince William by now.
Kate said herself that she has always been crazy for Will. She mentioned that as a young girl and a teen she had Will posters everywhere...Will was basically her dream man.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not think that it just happened that her man is a prince. Kate said herself that she has always been crazy for Will. She mentioned that as a young girl and a teen she had Will posters everywhere...Will was basically her dream man. I'm not saying she intentionally sought him out, but I'm also not saying she just "happened" to meet him. Maybe meeting him was exactly what she wanted to do.
It sounds like infatuation. And even after getting to know him it's easy to get caught up in the "perks" of dating of prince.

It sounds like infatuation. And even after getting to know him it's easy to get caught up in the "perks" of dating of prince.

I would imagine too that after actually being with Will for so many years, she's found more of the negative perks that come with dating a royal than the positive ones. The two of them are obviously handling both the negative and positive together quite well as they're still together after all this time.

If the British Royal Family can withstand the Woodvilles, the Nevilles, the Howards the Mountbattens and the Spencers, surely they can handle the Middletons.
Of course they can handle them, but they certainly don't need the trouble.

OTOH I think that Kate's handling of the press is even better. She's refusing to play their game. She's keeping herself to herself and certainly can't ever be blamed of manipulating them.
That's debatable. Tennis anyone? I think she and her family do use the press for their own agenda.

I would imagine too that after actually being with Will for so many years, she's found more of the negative perks that come with dating a royal than the positive ones. The two of them are obviously handling both the negative and positive together quite well as they're still together after all this time.
I'm sure the perks would far outweigh anything negative especially if one is a social climber and gold digger.

I think that the same was probably true for a lot of girls who were Kate's age, in love with the "fantasy" of Prince William. The difference is that Kate knows the real Prince William by now.

Of course. I'm not saying the fantasy is wrong, but like Opal said below, even after dating for awhile she still could be caught up in the idea of Will. I disagree about Kate knowing the "real" William. What couple really knows each other when they're dating? I would say slim to none. The only time one can actually and somewhat completely know a person is in marriage. Because in marriage the skeletons come out.

Exactly. That is what I was trying to say.

Of course. I'm not saying the fantasy is wrong, but like Opal said below, even after dating for awhile she still could be caught up in the idea of Will. I disagree about Kate knowing the "real" William. What couple really knows each other when they're dating? I would say slim to none. The only time one can actually and somewhat completely know a person is in marriage. Because in marriage the skeletons come out.
I disagree with you, they have been dating longer then some marriages last these days. I really don't think that with their pre-relationship dating they had much time to make skeletons at this point. Some people can be married for 30 years like Camillia and Andrew and never really know each other at all... I think it depends on the two people and how open they are with each other in a relationship.;)
I really don't think there is anything wrong with that...if that is the case.
she knew what she wanted had the brains and money to get where she needed to be to make it happen... and he fell for her so she wins. kudos to her...If you think about it most relationships start with one person going after the other one. I just hope if they make it the long hall the UK wins as well... and she will step up her game and be a wonderful wife and princess..(QC) just my opinion!

ps.. do you have the article where Kate mentioned that she had pictures of William all over her walls ... I recall a former class mate making a statement but never knew Kate gave an interview...

I disagree with you, they have been dating longer then some marriages last these days. I really don't think that with their pre-relationship dating they had much time to make skeletons at this point. Some people can be married for 30 years like Camillia and Andrew and never really know each other at all... I think it depends on the two people and how open they are with each other in a relationship.;)

What makes you think that Andrew and Camilla never really knew each other?

I really don't think there is anything wrong with that...if that is the case. she knew what she wanted had the brains and money to get where she needed to be to make it happen... and he fell for her so she wins. kudos to her...If you think about most relationships start with one person going after the other one. I just hope if they make it the long hall the UK wins as well... and she will step up her game and be a wonderful wife and princess..(QC) just my opinion!

ps.. do you have the article where Kate mentioned that she had pictures of William all over her walls ... I recall a former class mate making a statement but never knew Kate gave and interview...

I too have only heard of a class mate saying that but do remember Diana also had pictures of Charles on her walls as a teenager so maybe the son is finding a woman like his mother - one with a girlhood infatuation and believes that that is enough.

:ermm:
What makes you think that Andrew and Camilla never really knew each other?
Just an example and it beats the other side of it saying they had an open marriage where they could be with others(make them god parents of their children ect) as long as no one found out and it was not public...any way my point was that alot of married people dont really know their spouses...:ermm:
I too have only heard of a class mate saying that but do remember Diana also had pictures of Charles on her walls as a teenager so maybe the son is finding a woman like his mother - one with a girlhood infatuation and believes that that is enough.
Maybe that is what he likes about her but I doubt it is the only thing. I would really like to believe there has to be something more there and I hope I am not wrong...or what a waste of time for the both of them...I would also like to think that william has learned from his parents mistakes and that he would not follow them blindly, at least to know that it would not be enough.

I still don't get your point using Andrew and Camilla as an example. I have never seen any suggestiong that these two didn't know the other and the fact that they both had affairs during the marriage always came across as something about which they knew throughout the marriage.

I don't think your example backs your point, the exact opposite in fact.

From what I read of Dimbleby, and the book "Camilla, the Kings Mistress" Andrew was the run around and Camilla thought that he would be true. When that didn't happen, she went back to Charles. Camilla having an affair with only one person, Andrew with many. So Camilla thought that Andrew would change from his run around ways before marriage and be true and he did not. Camilla thought she new him, and yet she did not.
This might explain Lady Ann's position.

Of course they can handle them, but they certainly don't need the trouble.

That's debatable. Tennis anyone? I think she and her family do use the press for their own agenda.

IIRC those photos were taken to court (pun intended) and won.

From what I read of Dimbleby, and the book "Camilla, the Kings Mistress" Andrew was the run around...
I'm still yawning through Dimbleby's bio of Charles.

Of course the Andrew you speak of is Andrew Parker Bowles.. the Beau Brummel of the 70s. the ladies man. once dated Anne. Even before I hit TRF. it was common knowledge that his and Camilla's marriage was an open one.

One of them high aristo marriages I guess.

I still don't get your point using Andrew and Camilla as an example. I have never seen any suggestiong that these two didn't know the other and the fact that they both had affairs during the marriage always came across as something about which they knew throughout the marriage.
Ok.. ok.. I'm gong to talk here..

What Wills is doing is what I'm married to. yes.. so we are few decades older... but once its in your blood its what you do. Them beeps calling you go off and even in the middle of well... get the pic.. he's gone.

The theme of it all is actually being faithful. I wish I could right now state the sources for the Parker Bowles marroage.. think I'd have to scan the archives of TRF for the source

Right now I think he's hooked on his radio.

However, I believe she (Camilla) expected him to change. Hell, I expected my ex to change once we got married and realized soon that there was as much a chance of that happening as for the Cubs to win the World Series. Obviously, I did not know my ex-spouse.

Being young and in love and finally having that wedding you pictured as a young girl (of course I was going to marry a hockey player and name my 1st son Gordon) comes right along with the territory that the man will always be perfect husband material too. With Camilla and Andrew though, I think it was more so that they both knew and accepted the "open marriage" idea of the 60s-70s. He had his "friends" on the side as well as she did. But it was never up for discussion and private. Their divorce happened when her relationship with the PoW became a media field day after Charles admitted to his dalliance with Camilla.

I don't see Will and Kate like this at all which is why they'd have hall sex instead of playing with other partners.

For those NOT in the know... hall sex is when you pass each other in the hall and just glower f you at the other person. :whistling:

The poster that I was responding too said that you only really know someone after your married.ie: saying Kate and William did not know each other after 7 years of dating... I disagreed using C&A as a example (both of them) to say you can not always know you spouse even after 30 or so years of marriage Im sure niether of them thought that they would have two kids and find themselves still in bed or in love with others during their marrige...I would think a man or women would think at some point their spouse would be enough! how well did these two know each others true self.? that was my point, this is my opinion and my out side look of two people who were married a very long time and to my sight did not know the other at all...may you keep your own opinion..

So for fact that my point was that william and Kate may know each other better then some people who have been married for many years..... and some people who been married for years may not know the person at all..... Happy posting

So for fact that my point was that william and Kate may know each other better then some people who have been married for many years.....
... or they may not. None of us really knows the state of their relationship, or their feelings.

Speculating on whether Kate will be more popular than Diana is difficult as she has not yet received a proposal of marriage.
I think it would be difficult to be "more" in popularity than Diana as she just had the "it" factor and "star quality" that others are not blessed with.

Speculating on whether Kate will be more popular than Diana is difficult as she has not yet received a proposal of marriage.
I tend to agree with you Jaya. It's a bit like putting the carriage before the horse. :ermm:

I don't think she will more famous than the legendary Diana but she will be compared always to her. I think that both KM and Pr. Diana have the same qualities like for example been shy and have a great fashion sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom