The Duchess of Cambridge Picture Thread: All Years

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like all 3 photos. They did something different and special with her various looks for her birthday, and I like that.

I think my favorite is the black and white where she’s smiling at the camera. She looks very happy.

The red dress photo looks glamorous and fun. Fabulous red dress.

The black and white side view looks timeless. Classic. Regal.

Last edited:
The photos are certainly different! They are growing on me, but I think the post production is a little too much - making them look vintage.

I had wondered if there would be a photo of her in the Cambridge tiara and decorations but I'm not surprised there isn't. I am wondering if they are waiting for William's 40th in June to have a full regalia photo of the both of them - it would make more sense.

Fingers crossed we get some family photos in the coming days

I did a bit of research on the last three British princesses to have '0' birthdays - Camilla, Sophie and Anne - not a tiara between them. Hardly any jewellery and other than Camilla all alone. Camilla is with Charles.

The Queen's 90th was more the 'country women' look with not even the glamour of these images (although she did have the one of her youngest two grandchildren and great-grandchildren to that point)

I did a bit of research on the last three British princesses to have '0' birthdays - Camilla, Sophie and Anne - not a tiara between them. Hardly any jewellery and other than Camilla all alone. Camilla is with Charles.

The Queen's 90th was more the 'country women' look with not even the glamour of these images (although she did have the one of her youngest two grandchildren and great-grandchildren to that point)

I researched Princess Anne at 40 and 60 - not a tiara in sight. Prince Charles did have a more official picture at 60, but not at 70. And Camilla did not feature in Prince Charles' official 60th birthday portrait - that was when she was still quite unpopular (2008).

So the conclusion is not to expect any tiaras even for William's 40th birthday.

We are so used to the other European Royal Houses having their Crown Princesses and Princesses celebrate major milestone birthday's in their finest. Obviously it's not the British way, unfortunately.

The British have made a conscious effort to reduce the ostentatious display of their jewellery.

These days there are very few tiara events in the UK at all - Diplomatic Reception (attended by three women and two men); State Opening of Parliament (attended by two women and one man) and the State Banquets if a state visit (attended by a number of royals but only one couple in William's generation ... and I expect that to continue so even fewer times to see a tiara or any other jewels with Catherine not wearing much we simply won't see much going forward).

The plans for The Queen's Jubilee for instance include no tiara events.

Back in the 80s and earlier they went to premieres etc in tiaras and every royal lady went to the State Opening of parliament all glammed up but not anymore.

I researched Princess Anne at 40 and 60 - not a tiara in sight. Prince Charles did have a more official picture at 60, but not at 70. And Camilla did not feature in Prince Charles' official 60th birthday portrait - that was when she was still quite unpopular (2008).

So the conclusion is not to expect any tiaras even for William's 40th birthday.

We are so used to the other European Royal Houses having their Crown Princesses and Princesses celebrate major milestone birthday's in their finest. Obviously it's not the British way, unfortunately.

I agree.I am also a fan of the Continental Royal way of marking milestones in full regalia..it's just a very "Royal" way of doing things imo.

These are nice photos though. Maybe it's the way Kate preferred it?

Last edited:
My thought was the photos of Diana after she and Charles separated whether the Snowdon or Testano sessions. More Vogue than Buckingham Palace.

Having said that, I accept it’s a changing world. I understand why the RF would chose to play down the glitz and glam.

I actually prefer the photos that depict the real person rather than the idealised version. IMO but I think the real Kate is wellies and Barbours rather than ball gowns and tiaras much as she looks spectacular in State Banquet rig.

Looks completley bland.. not even like Kate at all.

I admit initially, at first glance, I wasn't a fan of these three photos. Instead of a "wow", my first thought was "it doesn't look/feel like Catherine". Even what came into my mind when seeing the red gown was "this is (typical) CP Victoria's dress" (and the photo of her in that red gown is my least favourite).

But then, seeing it here and there on the internet, upon closer look I kind of "get used" to it and somehow the "Catherine's feels" starts to seep out of it and now I can see that yes, this is Catherine.

Maybe that's the goal of these photos considering it's meant to be displayed in the gallery. It's not suppose to be seen in a glance, but to be observed like how you observing a painting.

About the portraits:
Duchess of Cambridge dares and dazzles on her 40th birthday

Archive
(...)

The photographs are the most heavily symbolic of any taken of the Duchess in her royal life so far.

They are intended to capture the family and creative influences in her life, paying tribute to the taste of the young Queen and her mother, Queen Elizabeth, whose image was so often captured by Beaton in a similar style.

(...)

Roversi, an Italian fashion photographer and regular contributor to magazines including Vogue, was chosen to take the photographs by the gallery and Duchess in consultation.

(...)

The Duchess, who studied the history of art at St Andrew’s University, initiated a video call with Roversi to share her photographic inspiration, with reference points from the Royal Family’s history and beyond.

(...)

“It was very much a collaborative process,” said a source. “She is really creative and very much into her photography - she was extremely involved in all of this.”

(...)

Paolo Roversi also gave an interview to corriere della sera, where he talked about the photographs he took of the Duchess of Cambridge.

Article (in Italian)

via Google Translate
(...)

Timeless, but also very Pre-Raphaelite. There is a mood in the profile photo (which she considers the official one even if it is not from a protocol point of view) of the Duchess that refers to the painting of that English movement of the mid-19th century. To Dante Gabriel Rossetti or to Sir David Coyle Burne-Jones, I refer in particular to that Desiderium drawing of 1873, woman in profile….

"In fact, that's exactly how it is, Kate showed me some reproductions of works by those authors you mention to give me some inspiration, but I have always been a Pre-Raphaelite".

Three photos and three very different Kate. The first, in profile, regal and of a maturity that goes beyond her age and the white dress that dampens the seriousness of an effigy. The second choice by William and his children where a carefree girl returns. The third in color is as you see it, a little more glamorous.

(...)

I did the first skimming, a dozen of her favorites, then we got to 3 of my favorites and one of hers, the official photo is both mine, but also her favorite. But Kate was less determined than me in the last choice. Designer Sarah Burton (Kate's wedding dress hers) chose the dresses: only one was red, the others neutral. For the official portrait she wore the organza one, almost like a classical ballerina. In the end I wanted to take pictures in motion, so with that wonderful wide skirt I made her dance in front of my lens, a kind of accelerated waltz mixed with a pinch of rock'n'roll ". And it is for now a secret image.

(...)

So it seems there will be one more photo to be released other than the three.

Last edited:
I did not recognize Catherine at all. I had to look twice to determine who it was.

Yes, that's my thought as well. Lovely photos, but to me, they don't look anything like Catherine.

I have to agree with you. At first glance I wasn't sure it was her, she looks so different somehow. And Laura said overprocessed and I believe that is more like the right word for it. She looks lovely, however these images don't have the Wow or Impact that the shot of Kate at Prince Philips funeral where she was sitting in the car. That was a fabulous shot of the Duchess.

Sorry if this had been answer before but who made the white dres from the black and white photos? The dress is stuning and she look abolutly gorgeous!

Sorry if this had been answer before but who made the white dres from the black and white photos? The dress is stuning and she look abolutly gorgeous!

All 3 dresses are Sarah Burton for Alexander McQueen.

I understand some people's disappointment, who were hoping perhaps for the equivalent of Mary's or Victoria's stunning photos, but these were meant to be different. They're going into the National Portrait Gallery, after their tour, and Kate and the photographer have collaborated on photos with multiple throwbacks to 19th and 20th century images - Winterhalter, Beaton, Sissi with her hair down etc

I love them.

I admit initially, at first glance, I wasn't a fan of these three photos. Instead of a "wow", my first thought was "it doesn't look/feel like Catherine". Even what came into my mind when seeing the red gown was "this is (typical) CP Victoria's dress" (and the photo of her in that red gown is my least favourite).

But then, seeing it here and there on the internet, upon closer look I kind of "get used" to it and somehow the "Catherine's feels" starts to seep out of it and now I can see that yes, this is Catherine.

Maybe that's the goal of these photos considering it's meant to be displayed in the gallery. It's not suppose to be seen in a glance, but to be observed like how you observing a painting.
Oooh, what a wonderful thought! And I agree, the more you look at them, the more details you find. Even though the medium is different, the photographer and Catherine getting their inspiration through paintings shows in those photos. And the article just shows how thoughtful and involved she was in the process, which makes them even more special.

I immediately liked the photos. Each of them is giving us something different, but they all look very much like part of the set. There's something very classic, very happy, very modern and glamorous.

I'm glad she decided to do something different and bold for her birthday. With her, every year we're getting more and she never disappoints. Astonishing.

Let's face it : it' just gorgeous.
Indeed, i see nods to Beaton and Winterhalter, but yet with a modern twist.
Above all, i see a very beautiful woman, blooming at 40 and obviously at ease in her role as a spouse , mother and a key membre of the BRF.

I like it very, very much.

It doesn't look like Kate. Honeslty I had to look twice, It could be any dark haired pretty woman of around hte same age....

The Duchess of Cambridge has released a message also mentioning the new portraits:

Thank you for all of your very kind birthday wishes, and to Paolo and the National Portrait Gallery for these three special portraits. C

** twitter post **

I really don’t know what to think of the photos! At first I loved them but the more I see them I like them less. Of the three the one in the red dress is my favourite.

I love the whit4e and balc photo in the white? dress with bows! who i the designer for it?
she looks stunning!

Wonderful mew photo's to mark the 40th birthday of the Duchess!

I have to agree with you. At first glance I wasn't sure it was her, she looks so different somehow. And Laura said overprocessed and I believe that is more like the right word for it. She looks lovely, however these images don't have the Wow or Impact that the shot of Kate at Prince Philips funeral where she was sitting in the car. That was a fabulous shot of the Duchess.
Agreed. That WOW photo was done by Chris Jackson. He knows how exactly how to capture the Duchess and should have had the honor of doing the 40th birthday photos .

Love them but my favorite is the "offical one" that looks like Winterhalter/Beaton.

I like the pictures, very artistic, although Kate herself has been photoshopped to death.
It suits the pictures but not the real person. But if this was the intention, it's fine.

I am curious what he will get to see for Prince William's 40th birthday in June, will he be photoshopped to death too - or is it better for the image of a man to put the emphasis on reality.

If I hadn't known it was her, I legitimately would have thought it was another very pretty dark haired woman in the red dress photo at first. That's not necessarily a bad thing but it feels a little odd I guess. They don't really feel like her but then again we don't actually know her, so there's that.

The profile one is my favourite because it does have a very timeless feel and you can see at a glance that it's her.

I do think it was an interesting choice to go with something completely different than we might have expected.

I love a dress with pockets and that colour is gorgeous.

I really want to like these photos but as beautifully crafted as they are, I think they fail to capture the essence of the Duchess. I hardly recognise her.
Looks completely bland.. not even like Kate at all.
Perfect pictures of a perfect woman.
I did not recognize Catherine at all. I had to look twice to determine who it was.
I too, didn't recognise her at first and upon finding out it was Catherine, I looked again and cringed. The photoshopped airbrushed finish is remarkable but it makes her look like thousands of other anonymous "pretty girls", just another pretty face.

This last year Catherine has come into her own and there are many, many photos of her rocking some serious casualwear and some knockout designer labels. "Catherine' herself is what bridges that incredibly wide gap and she does it with her own personal style.

Catherine, taken feature by feature, is not the most beautiful woman around but, whenever she is fully engaged in what she is doing she lights up and her smile is positively radiant, OO7 Premier and the Carol Service are brilliant examples and that sort of inner joy and it is that that makes her something special, something far more special than any empty pretty face.

It shows us who she is rather than this photographer's rendition of who is she?

I too, didn't recognise her at first and upon finding out it was Catherine, I looked again and cringed. The photoshopped airbrushed finish is remarkable but it makes her look like thousands of other anonymous "pretty girls", just another pretty face.

This last year Catherine has come into her own and there are many, many photos of her rocking some serious casualwear and some knockout designer labels. "Catherine' herself is what bridges that incredibly wide gap and she does it with her own personal style.

Catherine, taken feature by feature, is not the most beautiful woman around but, whenever she is fully engaged in what she is doing she lights up and her smile is positively radiant, OO7 Premier and the Carol Service are brilliant examples and that sort of inner joy and it is that that makes her something special, something far more special than any empty pretty face.

Marg, you've said it better than I could have.

These photos are absolutely stunning. The Duchess of Cambridge is absolutely stunning. But these photos of The Duchess of Cambridge are not absolutely stunning.

I really want to like these photos but as beautifully crafted as they are, I think they fail to capture the essence of the Duchess. I hardly recognise her.

I agree. She is a beautiful woman and these are beautiful photographs, but they don't capture her personality and inner beauty. Regardless, I appreciate that they released them.

I love these portraits they are images that will last and become part of history. They are not American magazines or breakfast programs they are of a future Queen on the occasion of a milestone occasion.I also love that the red gown has pockets it's a modern twist. I adore all 3

(...)

Strangely, the impression I get from these photos is neither who she is nor who is she?, but more like of what she is, because I don't see 'personality' but more like 'object' (sorry, I can't find suitable word). Then again, after seeing many side by side comparison with the previous royal portraits, I can't see any 'personality' in those portrait either.

And from the interview with the photographer, the way he describe his discussion with Catherine about this photo-shot, what I can gather is that their intention is more to the artistic side with Catherine as the 'object' which I think they achieved as those are beautiful portraits.

As for the 'works' done on those photos, those 'effects' are actually can be achieved by make-up and 'playing' with the lens, not necessarily photoshop. And since this was a photo-shot, unlike when photographing an event real-time, there's more room to make adjustment here and there to produce a 'different' result without any photoshop 'touch-up'. So that's a possibility as well. And since Paolo Roversi is a veteran photographer (who had dealt with negative film in his career), I want to believe that he's capable to work his magic without photoshop.

(A little experiment: if you have a compact digital camera, try take a close-up photo of say, flower, and see how different the result can be just by changing the setting from 'automatic' or 'landscape' to 'macro' and adjust the focus. Furthermore if it's DSLR, the 'magic' it can do is more extensive).

Maybe it's just me, but IMO the existence of graphic editing program such as photoshop and all those filters sort of make the so-called photographers lazy and also bring down their skill-set (sort of 'just take the picture and edit it later' attitude). And for some who's really mastering their lens and lighting skill would end up with a comment of 'ah, a photoshop-ed' (which I think sounds like an insult for their skills).

(...)

Paolo Roversi also gave an interview to corriere della sera, where he talked about the photographs he took of the Duchess of Cambridge.

Article (in Italian)

(...)

The Telegraph has an article about above interview:
Duchess of Cambridge danced a 'waltz mixed with rock 'n roll' in secret 40th birthday shoot

Archive

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom