The Duchess of Cambridge is pregnant!

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure they will tell the public the gender of the baby ahead of the birth, so might as well stop fussing about it. I don't remember if any royal babies in modern times, since ultra-sound, had announcements made about this. I can't remember any. It may be July until the heir appears.
The only recent royal baby whose gender was revealed before birth was Infanta Sofía of Spain, IIRC.

So that would mean not coming to this forum, where it pops up all over the place.

Perhaps when Kate's vomiting has been talked over for another month, people will move on to something else.

In the meantime, I'll probably continue reading the forums that I have bookmarked.

Of course we discuss Kate's pregnancy in a thread entitled 'the Duchess of Cambridge is pregnant'. If you don't want to read about it, don't click on any of the threads about the future Cambridge baby. If it's being discussed in threads on other topics on this site, it should be reported to the moderators as off-topic.

The only recent royal baby whose gender was revealed before birth was Infanta Sofía of Spain, IIRC.
yes it was! Letizia decided to announce she was having a second girl to stop all the fuss about it. I wonder if Kate would do the same, I'd like her to reveal the gender of her baby:p and I think there is a chance of her doing this because of all the fuss about it.

And I read tweets from Niraj Tanna@IkonPictures that indicated she was expecting a baby before the official announcement, and I also think some info about the baby's gender will escape as well

Some tweets I found:

Niraj Tanna@IkonPictures
7 months from now...
Niraj Tanna@IkonPictures
Interesting 12 week scan rule. #justsaying #interesting
Niraj Tanna@IkonPictures
Congratulations to The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. Told you… my info is always spot on!!!

'the fuss' in Letizia's case was based on Spain still preferring a boy to a girl and if Sofia jr. had been a boy, there had been pressure to change the constitution in Leonor's favour.

Kate is not in a similar situation, the discussion about the gender is just the overwhelming interest but not like in Spain with constitutional consequences.

And I read tweets from Niraj Tanna@IkonPictures that indicated she was expecting a baby before the official announcement, and I also think some info about the baby's gender will escape as well

Some tweets I found:

Niraj Tanna@IkonPictures
7 months from now...
Niraj Tanna@IkonPictures
Niraj Tanna@IkonPictures
Congratulations to The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. Told you… my info is always spot on!!!

He like the tabloids magazine has been hinting that she was pregnant since UNICEF trip to Denmark last year

He like the tabloids magazine has been hinting that she was pregnant since UNICEF trip to Denmark last year
The tweets I found are very recent, if you have a twitter account just check it. Some people say that Middletons told him, but I don't think it's true:whistling: although he has some good connections, or maybe he saw her leaving doctors office in London.

Until such times as legislation is introduced in each of the Commonwealth realms ending male primogeniture with regards to the succession, the gender of Kate's baby does have constitutional consequences. Each of the realms have indicated that they will introduce such legislation, but it's not yet a done deal.

The tweets I found are very recent, if you have a twitter account just check it. Some people say that Middletons told him, but I don't think it's true:whistling: although he has some good connections, or maybe he saw her leaving doctors office in London.

I know it a recent tweets, and every few months he's been tweeting hints since they went to Denmark

If the articles are truth, that the Middleton only found out the weekends she came down with HG. I don't see how they would tell a friend/source before close family members

The best ones was him trying to back track and say the "pregnancy rumors" baby tweets was about them getting Lupo. Lol
I didn't read anything about it from him before

If the articles are truth, that the Middleton only found out the weekends she came down with HG. I don't see how they would tell a friend/source before close family members

Big chance that they hadn't intented Anyone to know until the 12-week-mark.

Big chance that they hadn't intented Anyone to know until the 12-week-mark.

I agree. Look how long they were engaged before William and Kate's family, other than her father, knew they were engaged. Wouldn't be surprised if it were true that the only reason the Middleton's knew Kate was pregnant is because she got so sick. This is an intensely private couple who keep things from their family. Though I think if they were a "normal" couple, their family probably would have known about the engagement and pregnancy sooner than they did.

Of course we discuss Kate's pregnancy in a thread entitled 'the Duchess of Cambridge is pregnant'. If you don't want to read about it, don't click on any of the threads about the future Cambridge baby. If it's being discussed in threads on other topics on this site, it should be reported to the moderators as off-topic.

I have another option (just as the other poster did) which is to respectfully ask posters here to stick to the more positive aspects of the pregnancy, and to keep discussion of tabloid-like stories to a minimum.

There is also the option of putting people on ignore if they decide they can't help but play the role of a tabloid newspaper here.

It's not black and white. I don't have to "go" anywhere else. Reporting on an aspect of the pregnancy one or two times doesn't bother me, but I don't see any reason to turn these otherwise informative forums into an extension of the paparazzi problem.

Still learning what sort of things are appropriate to discuss here. The "love it or leave it" attitude is expressed by one or two members of all internet forums that I've been on, but this forum is a cut above many other forums in terms of intelligent, non-sensationalized discussion.

I've seen this question asked (somewhere) on the forum, but I didn't see the answer.

Is there any estimate on when the British parliament will pass the new bill on gender equality (I know it's retroactive, so that's cool), or any estimate about how long it will take to get through all the other nations?

What happens if it simply doesn't get approved by the other nations?

Is there a thread with more history of letters patent and how they used to work? Queen Elizabeth can't simply issue letters patent and have parliament ratify them, right?

I don't think they will find out the gender of the baby before it is born, solely because it would create the opportunity for the information to leak out. If they and her doctors don't know, then nobody else will either. IMO that is the best way for them to proceed to safeguard their privacy. They would also know that any speculation in the media is just that, speculation.

Keep saying it, and eventually it will be right eh? LOL

Even a stopped clock is correct twice a day ;).

Themiste said:

I've seen this question asked (somewhere) on the forum, but I didn't see the answer.

Is there any estimate on when the British parliament will pass the new bill on gender equality (I know it's retroactive, so that's cool), or any estimate about how long it will take to get through all the other nations?

David Cameron has been saying that as soon as all the realms agreed to the change at the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting in Australia last year, it took affect there and then. He seems to be suggesting that the legislation is a mere formality. I don't think it's really as simple as Cameron is suggesting and I'd predict that there will be a rush to ensure legislation will be passed before the birth of the Cambridge baby.

If any of the realms object to the amendments of the rules of succession, things will stay as they are, as the agreement of all 16 of HM's realms is necessary to make any such change.

I believe that it's New Zealand who have been given the task of driving this process, so I would presume they'll update us all in due in course.

I don't think they will find out the gender of the baby before it is born, solely because it would create the opportunity for the information to leak out. If they and her doctors don't know, then nobody else will either. IMO that is the best way for them to proceed to safeguard their privacy. They would also know that any speculation in the media is just that, speculation.
during scans the doctors will know the gender of the baby. for example, when Princess Letizia of Spain was pregnant for the first time, only Letizia and her doctor knew she was having a girl. Felipe didn't know:flowers: The doctors will see the baby's gender and I think William and Kate would love to know it

Not sure what the ultrasound schedule is like in the UK, but presuming they get at least one later on in the pregnancy then someone's going to know, even if William and Kate choose not to find out. Here's hoping confidentiality rules the day, as it would certainly suck to find out the sex of your first child via The Daily Mail.

There isn't really a set timetable as of now. Only three countries - Canada, Australia and New Zealand - have announced approximate time when the changes are to be ratified: some time in 2013.

A rather complex coordinated work should be done in all of the realms so that the changes are ratified (by whatever means that particular realms requires a ratification) at about the same time, to avoid any surprises. As far as Britain goes, the process is fairly straightforward and shouldn't take long at all - weeks or even days. However, some other countries of the Realm will require much more complex ratification processes that can take months. For instance, section 41 of the Canadian Constitution required unanimous consent of all the provinces and the federal parliament to ratify any changes to the office of the Monarch.

As per prior agreement, the United Kingdom will be the first to draft legislation, which will only be introduced once all the other Realms fully agree to all the terms of the bill. The process of adopting the legislation will start only once the other Realms plan the ratification processes, so that everything is in sync. On December 2 of the this year, the British Government received final consent from the other Commonwealth Realms. Two days ago, on December 13, the British Government finally introduced the Succession to the Crown Bill and it was announced that the House of Commons will address it as soon as parliamentary time allows, which should be in early 2013.

I should also add that two of the realms - Papua New Guinea and Tuvalu - do not need to approve the changes at all, so only 14 of the 16 realms will go through some sort of a ratification process.

All the leaders of the Commonwealth Realms have already voiced their support for the proposed changes. However, should one of them refuse or be unable to ratify them, then it is likely one of the following will happen:

- The proposed changes will be dropped in all of the Realms altogether and Male Primogeniture along with ban to marry Catholics will remain in force.

- The other Realms will go ahead with ratification, creating a rather unfortunate situation. Should one day the first-born child of the Heir Apparent (say, Prince William) be a girl, then she will be Heiress Apparent in those Realms that approved the changes, but only an Heiress Presumptive in the realm that did not. That would mean that should the girl have a younger brother, he will become an Heir Apparent in that one realm, thus effectively ending the Union of Crowns of the Commonwealth Realms. When they say all Commonwealth Realms have to unanimously adopt the changes, they just mean that otherwise the consequences will be so unfortunate that, should a unanimous consent not be acquired, the proposed changes will be dropped altogether.

Is there a thread with more history of letters patent and how they used to work? Queen Elizabeth can't simply issue letters patent and have parliament ratify them, right?
There is a thread that deals with general prerogatives of the Monarch - Political Advisers and the Powers and Prerogatives of the Monarch .

Letters Patent are one of the prerogatives of the Sovereign that do not require the consent of the Parliament. In most cases, however, the Monarch will usually consult the Prime Minister before issuing them.

Letters Patent greatly vary; there are currently over 90 types of Letters Patent, ranging from the ones used to grant Royal Assent to legislations and granting a coat of arms, to the ones that create Peerage titles or government offices. Consequently, how an individual Letters Patent works depends on what it is for.

Last edited:
during scans the doctors will know the gender of the baby. for example, when Princess Letizia of Spain was pregnant for the first time, only Letizia and her doctor knew she was having a girl. Felipe didn't know:flowers: The doctors will see the baby's gender and I think William and Kate would love to know it

Well, when we had our 20 week ultrasound (standard time for one in the US) the technician had to make a pointed effort to find the gender because we wanted to know. If we hadn't asked, she would have just done the standard look around at vital organs. That's not to say that while looking around, you don't accidentally see something else, but it seemed to me that if you don't want to know then they will try not to find it either. Most of the time we had no idea what we were looking at unless the technician told us. Can you imagine the curiosity of the Kate's ultrasound tech, though? Kate and William are traditionalists, so I suspect they will wait to find out, which they may mention after the birth. I'm just looking forward to the due date announcement right now!

Some tweets I found:

Niraj Tanna@IkonPictures
7 months from now...
Niraj Tanna@IkonPictures
Niraj Tanna@IkonPictures

Interesting that Tanna knew abut the pregnancy but the RF didn´t. It is always been very strange how this journalist has so much information on the Middletons, like Kate plying tennis on Christmas, as if someone were leaking info all the time. And he always knows beforehand where Pippa is going to be. Really classy.:)

Very interesting also that William seems to have little communication with his blood family to the point of not informing his father and the Queen that a heir was in the way. I wonder if the palace had handled the pregnancy from the beginning, so many "problems" would have been avoided.

Very interesting also that William seems to have little communication with his blood family to the point of not informing his father and the Queen that a heir was in the way. I wonder if the palace had handled the pregnancy from the beginning, so many "problems" would have been avoided.

What problems were there? It's not like telling Charles would have cured Catherine of her morning sickness which is the only real problem.
And my sister never told her family she was pregnant, until she was 20 weeks, simply to be on the safe side. Catherine was less than 12 weeks when she was admitted, she could have found out weeks before or just a day before.
What's still interesting is your ability to stir, when it's never necessary.

Rosana the first thing you need is a lesson in reproductive biology 101
You don't even now how to troll properly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom