The Family and Background of the Duchess of Cambridge, the Middletons 1, Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with what you say for the most part except that there are many, many people in North America who are lower class or underclass. There are many poor people here.:flowers:

the "class system" in north america is vastly different because we don't have aristocrats so every level of the class system here is in direct relation to your personal wealth or lack of it. the upper class is the wealthiest, with the "old" money being at the top of the upper class. the lower level of the upper class or the upper middle class would be doctors or lawyers and business executives, depending on their annual income. middle class is where most....not all...people in north america would fall.

I agree with what you say for the most part except that there are many, many people in North America who are lower class or underclass. There are many poor people here.:flowers:

yes you're absolutely right. :flowers:

one question that always bothers me who pays for Kate's expensive upkeep (her regular beauty treatments, hair appointments with top-class hairdressers, expensive clothes and accessories, luxury holidays, London-flat in exclusive area and regular social-life)
Her parents i would imagne fund some of her lifestyle but they may be millionaires but her upkeep must cost quite abit and they have 2 other children to have funded through Marlbourgh College and university. But she cant have that much money of her own. So does William help to pay for her upkeep?

I strongly doubt that William's paying for Kate's flat or major expenses. I really think the Middletons are probably wealthy enough to pay for Kate and Pippa to live in that flat in London (plus, Pippa has a job with at least some income). And I think James lives near home, if not at home.

one question that always bothers me who pays for Kate's expensive upkeep (her regular beauty treatments, hair appointments with top-class hairdressers, expensive clothes and accessories, luxury holidays, London-flat in exclusive area and regular social-life)
Her parents i would imagne fund some of her lifestyle but they may be millionaires but her upkeep must cost quite abit and they have 2 other children to have funded through Marlbourgh College and university. But she cant have that much money of her own. So does William help to pay for her upkeep?

That is definitely a mystery but I would assume her parents may look at it as an investment for now. I'm sure once Kate became famous their business really starting taking off in a bigger way as well...so they probably do even better money-wise.

I'm sure William pays anytime they go away together...for everything.

What difference does it make who pays for Kate's living expenses? She's a private citizen. IF William pays for any of her living expenses or trips or entertainment for that matter, I'm sure it is from his own personal funds, i.e. his inheritance from his mother, etc. Again in which case it's a personal matter.

I am at a loss to understand the UK media. It is noone but Catherine's business who pays for Catherine's anything! Not her clothes, hair, flat, holiday, nothing!

She is a private citizen and until such time as it can be reasonably claimed that she is receiving taxpayers money noone has the right to demand answers to these and every other outrageous question. :bang:

Sure, it's no one's business, but how she lives and what she does matter to people because she may potentially be their queen, and in these modern times, who wants someone who cannot support herself (if she had to); who's basically a hanger-on, as queen? And I'm not saying that she is, but sometimes an impression becomes the reality in some people's minds, especially if they hear it often enough. And that kind of reputation will be hard to erase, especially with the pervasiveness of salacious tabloids who will gladly invent stories to further stir the pot. This may seem old-fashioned of me, but I still see a princess/future queen as someone who could be a role model; someone young women can look up to and choose to emulate. I don't know about you, but I would like my children to choose someone independent, strong, and hard-working as their role model. Again, I am not saying that Kate is not any of these things; all I'm saying is that she should take care not to give the impression that she is not.

Good post Kats. I think most mother´s would resent someone who they believed, or knew, was living off their son´s income. I too am not saying that Kate in particular is doing this but she should be very careful, as this is the impression that people are getting from their only source, the newspapers and magazines, whether it is true or not.
Does William love her enough to marry her? It is not all down to him, when you have a life of duty in front of you and belong to a royal family you have to think of that even if you think it intereferes with your pleasure.
Personally up until a certain point it didn´t seem to bother me either way, then the break up was announced and without even thinking about it I found I was thinking to myself "good, she wasn´t the right choice" they are back together again and have been for some time and I find it sad to think that if they break up again it is going to be terrible for her, but for him it won´t affect his future at all he will just get on with his royal life.

From reading these links and posts that are in this forum and connected to the links, it seems to me that Kate is just the kind of woman for Prince William and the BRF. She is strong and emotionally stable, and can endure the publicity and overcome speculations of Prince William. The problem is, when will they marry? It seems to me disappointingly that Prince William might be a the kind of man a woman calls a "stringer", this term describes a man who strings a woman along in a relationship a very long time and never marries her. I feel very sorry for Kate Middleton, unless the marry very soon, then I will feel better about the situation.

From reading these links and posts that are in this forum and connected to the links, it seems to me that Kate is just the kind of woman for Prince William and the BRF. She is strong and emotionally stable, and can endure the publicity and overcome speculations of Prince William. The problem is, when will they marry? It seems to me disappointingly that Prince William might be a the kind of man a woman calls a "stringer", this term describes a man who strings a woman along in a relationship a very long time and never marries her. I feel very sorry for Kate Middleton, unless the marry very soon, then I will feel better about the situation.

Whilst everybody loves a right royal wedding, I am a little concerned about why the lack of an engagement or forthcoming wedding is starting to be questioned negatively recently. I would have thought that there are a few obvious answers for this:

1) Wills needs to finish all his military attachments, and establish himself as a working royal before he can settle down
2) He is still only 26, which is very young to be getting married. These days, very few people in the UK marry until they are about 30. I'm not saying that this will preclude a royal wedding, but it certain;y means there is no pressure on them (other than from the media!)
3) Once married, no doubt the Press will be clamouring for them to have children - which is something they certaibly may not be ready for.
4) Once married, Kate will need to be introduced as a working royal. If the BRF play their cards right, she will be a big hit and will get a lot of positive attention. Surely it is important that the "William" brand is well established before Kate comes along.
5) Similarly, brand Camilla still needs some more time. Lets not forget before Will (& Kate?) can be crowned, Camilla needs to get a little more establisked as the consort of the future King!

.... and all of this is before you get to the point of "stringer" - this is a common attribute that runs across the male species and is not unique just to the men of the BRF!!!! I am sure many a young lady will agree with me on this point.

Kate Middleton might technically be a private person but it's naive to believe that somebody who is publicly dating the future monarch of Britain won't be subject to a scrutinized public interest - at least not when she's all over the place with her boyfriend. It would be a different story if Kate would lead a low profile life but she decided not to. You can't have it both ways in the 21st media century and no need to feel sorry for her - if she didn't like the heat she wouldn't be in the kitchen I guess.

People are free to ask who pays for her lifestyle, why not.

It would be a different story if Kate would lead a low profile life but she decided not to.
Perhaps a medieval convent with 12 foot walls? Or to quote the old song, "dig a hole and crawl right in it, and pull the ground right in over her"? :ROFLMAO:

Perhaps a medieval convent with 12 foot walls? Or to quote the old song, "dig a hole and crawl right in it, and pull the ground right in over her"? :ROFLMAO:

But that's exactly the point. She does not live in a convent, and like it or not, she is dating a public man, the future king, and she herself might assume a public role. It is naive to think that she won't be subjected to scrutiny.

It's quite a leap from being "exposed to public scrutiny" to people wanting to know who pays for her hairdresser [see previous page]. That's not "scrutiny" but more akin to unhealthy obsession.

True Warren but I think what people are getting at is that they couldn´t care less who pays for her clothes, travel, hairdresser and may I say boots, as long as it isn´t the British tax payer, which I am sure it isn´t. Besides it wasn´t that long ago that the epithet "kept woman" was a terrible thing, please don´t think I am saying that Miss Middleton is this, her parents are well off and can easily pay for their daughter to do all the things she is doing and if they are happy about that then whose business is it? What is of interest to the British Public is whether Prince William´s elected is above criticism and I really think that she should keep a lower profile, it is difficult as the press and photographers can get good money for writing about her and getting an exclusive photograph. Perhaps a castle or convent with high walls isn´t quite the thing but a job 9-5 and more private destinations for their various holidays would be wise. I really think that if Kate Middleton is going to marry her Prince she will have to work on her public image more than she has. At the beginning of the romance she was Britain´s sweetheart and Chelsy was hinted at not being quite the girl for Harry, now for some reason Chelsy is the more popular one. There must be a reason for this and it must be of some concern to both Kate Middleton and Prince William and their respective families.
For me, I am a monarchist and anything that seems to put the monarchy in danger worries me.

I really think that she should keep a lower profile, it is difficult as the press and photographers can get good money for writing about her and getting an exclusive photograph. Perhaps a castle or convent with high walls isn´t quite the thing but a job 9-5
Kate had a job with Jig-Saw and went to work in the morning and came home every evening with a few photographers along for the ride. Every day she was photographed coming out and going in to her apartment. If you go back to some of the older threads from that time period you can read posts where people were joking about opening a thread called "Kate leaves her apartment" (or something similar) there were that many photographs available of her every single day. She left that job, moved out of London and is now rarely photographed, the only way for her to keep a lower profile is for her to never leave her home.

now for some reason Chelsy is the more popular one
She is? I will admit that Chelsy has become a useful tool for those who dislike Kate in certain sites because apparently you can't like both girls and wish them both well in life (much like the Letizia and Mary situation that is sometimes found here) but go beyond the royal boards and most people are very surprised to find out that Harry has a girlfriend and now that he is starting to be viewed as the good looking prince most comments that follow this discovery of Chesly aren't very mature. I think the average British citizen doesn't give a whole lot of thought to Kate Middleton and even less to Chelsy Davy.

Kate Middleton might technically be a private person but it's naive to believe that somebody who is publicly dating the future monarch of Britain won't be subject to a scrutinized public interest - at least not when she's all over the place with her boyfriend. It would be a different story if Kate would lead a low profile life but she decided not to. You can't have it both ways in the 21st media century and no need to feel sorry for her - if she didn't like the heat she wouldn't be in the kitchen I guess.

People are free to ask who pays for her lifestyle, why not.

People are free to ask, but whether or not it is actually their business is another matter altogether. There is nothing technical about Kate being a private person. She is a private person right up until to the minute when she is wearing the ring. Dating a prince does not make her public property and it is her private affair as to who pays for her lifestyle as long as she hasn't been added to the civil list.

True Warren but I think what people are getting at is that they couldn´t care less who pays for her clothes, travel, hairdresser and may I say boots, as long as it isn´t the British tax payer, which I am sure it isn´t. Besides it wasn´t that long ago that the epithet "kept woman" was a terrible thing, please don´t think I am saying that Miss Middleton is this, her parents are well off and can easily pay for their daughter to do all the things she is doing and if they are happy about that then whose business is it? What is of interest to the British Public is whether Prince William´s elected is above criticism and I really think that she should keep a lower profile, it is difficult as the press and photographers can get good money for writing about her and getting an exclusive photograph. Perhaps a castle or convent with high walls isn´t quite the thing but a job 9-5 and more private destinations for their various holidays would be wise. I really think that if Kate Middleton is going to marry her Prince she will have to work on her public image more than she has. At the beginning of the romance she was Britain´s sweetheart and Chelsy was hinted at not being quite the girl for Harry, now for some reason Chelsy is the more popular one. There must be a reason for this and it must be of some concern to both Kate Middleton and Prince William and their respective families.
For me, I am a monarchist and anything that seems to put the monarchy in danger worries me.

LOL. Sorry Menarue, but I have to laugh. How much more private should they get? Seychelles and Mustique being among the smallest islands around! Can they help it if they get stalked to the airport?

Last edited:
Amelia I think the average British citizen doesn't give a whole lot of thought to Kate Middleton and even less to Chelsy Davy.[/quote said:
Well that is comforting to know.

I don't want to be rude to anyone but if you don't care how Kate spends her money, then don't come into a thread about her money. :lol: Cause some of us do want to talk about it.

Sure, it's no one's business, but how she lives and what she does matter to people because she may potentially be their queen, and in these modern times, who wants someone who cannot support herself (if she had to); who's basically a hanger-on, as queen?
Who says she cannot support herself? I am sure she is quite capable of supporting herself but she has the luxury of not having to. That is what is objectionable to those who have from the first day after her graduation from college been screaming about her lack of a job.

Until Kate Middleton becomes Princess William of Wales, I think it safe to assum you can rest assured that no one, William, nor Charles, etc., would be stupid enough to use public funds to subsidize Kate's lifestyle. Those people are independently wealthy and how they choose to use their private funds is not up for public approval. Likewise what her family gives to her is no one's business...even AFTER she marries William.

I long ago have come to the conclusion that some people who have spent the last 5 years repeatedly, on a daily basis, gone from forum to forum attacking this girl for anything, any shred of information that leaks about her should perhaps take a vacation from William and Kate watching. If her existence is that troublesome, ignore her. This crusade by some against this girl, who has yet to speak one world publicly in defense of her reputation and/lifestyle or anything else, long ago became an unhealthy obsession as far as I'm concerned.

I don't want to be rude to anyone but if you don't care how Kate spends her money, then don't come into a thread about her money. :lol: Cause some of us do want to talk about it.

Zembla, the thread is "Kate Middleton: is she rich or not", not "Kate Middleton: How she spends her money". Also, all members are allowed to post in whatever thread they like as long as they observe the community rules.

Last edited:
People are free to ask, but whether or not it is actually their business is another matter altogether ... Dating a prince does not make her public property and it is her private affair as to who pays for her lifestyle as long as she hasn't been added to the civil list.

Being asked does not mean being forced to give an answer. British taxpayers would have a justified interest in the matter in case there is a confirmation about members of the BRF funding Kate's lifestyle. Until then I couldn't care less, she's not the first (or only) girl in British society who would benefit from a rich boyfriend and she won't be the last. The only thing that bothers me about it is that people more and more get the impression (eg when looking at Wills'n'Kate) that new royalty is equally to celebrity lifestyle = rich, hedonistic and bored and with the values of old royalty like dedication, determination or conscientiousness just a fading memory.

Hey, Kime, Mustique seems to be old hat by now..... Surely there is some more remote place for private holidays. The problem is getting there. Once, just before she got engaged Lady Diana Spencer flew out to Australia economy class and no one noticed. I wonder how she did this? Probably because no one(photographers press) was told about it beforehand.

We didn't have paparazzi at Australian airports in those days, in fact we barely had anything resembling paparazzi at all. We do now.

You´re right Warren, they probably didn´t even know who Diana was before her marriage.
Just think of the photographic scoop! I think she managed to surprise everyone even in England, I believe they only knew after she had returned. The good old days for royals. (Or at least the ones that didn´t want their photos in the news and magazines). This hounding of a young girl before she is even engaged is bad but in a way it could be called an "apprenticeship" because if she does get her man it will only get worse and at least she will know what she is getting into.

Being asked does not mean being forced to give an answer. British taxpayers would have a justified interest in the matter in case there is a confirmation about members of the BRF funding Kate's lifestyle. Until then I couldn't care less, she's not the first (or only) girl in British society who would benefit from a rich boyfriend and she won't be the last. The only thing that bothers me about it is that people more and more get the impression (eg when looking at Wills'n'Kate) that new royalty is equally to celebrity lifestyle = rich, hedonistic and bored and with the values of old royalty like dedication, determination or conscientiousness just a fading memory.

If, and it is a very big if, Kate's lifestyle is being funded by a royal, the only ones that would be inclined to do it are either William or Charles. Since neither of them are on the civil list, how exactly is it a taxpayer concern?

The old values of royalty also came with acceptance that royal brides did not work before the marriage. You can't modernize the royals and still expect all the traditional behavior.

The old values of royalty also came with acceptance that royal brides did not work before the marriage. You can't modernize the royals and still expect all the traditional behavior.

Hmmmmh can't think of any royal bride or groom who did not work before marriage. In the new generation anyone I can think of had a job eg Masako, Letizia, Maxima, Diana ... except Kate but she's not a royal bride yet. Even in the older generation - eg Prince Philip in the navy, Queen Sofia as a nurse, Queen Silvia as an interpreter, Prince Claus as a diplomat ... this is the generation I was referring to and all had jobs before they married a royal, some of them are even royals by birth.

I wonder what is really meant by modernizing the royals? It is such an ancient institution that only exists because it is so ancient, a blood line directly back to the first kings giving them rights, and now in modern times duties to their people, this giving them duties seems to be already modernization. They used to be able to chop off people´s heads, perhaps not as easily as it may seem in history books, as there were courts and law. Does modernization mean becoming "one" with their subjects?
The Queen already pays taxes and the civil list has been reduced considerably, there is talk that royal titles are going to be rationed..... It still startles me a bit that a Royal Prince has two children who have no titles.... If the royal family gets even more modern it seems it will be doing itself out of a job.
Parts of the Palace are open to the public, we can now view a good part of the art collection, I wonder what Queen Victoria would have thought about all this?
I am not saying I approve or disapprove, it wouldn´t matter to anyone anyway.
Perhaps I am just thinking out loud on a site dedicated to Royalty!

Sure, it's no one's business, but how she lives and what she does matter to people because she may potentially be their queen, and in these modern times, who wants someone who cannot support herself (if she had to); who's basically a hanger-on, as queen? And I'm not saying that she is, but sometimes an impression becomes the reality in some people's minds, especially if they hear it often enough. And that kind of reputation will be hard to erase, especially with the pervasiveness of salacious tabloids who will gladly invent stories to further stir the pot. This may seem old-fashioned of me, but I still see a princess/future queen as someone who could be a role model; someone young women can look up to and choose to emulate. I don't know about you, but I would like my children to choose someone independent, strong, and hard-working as their role model. Again, I am not saying that Kate is not any of these things; all I'm saying is that she should take care not to give the impression that she is not.
Excellent post, I particularly like the fact that you are very much on the fence, so to speak, and have addressed both sides of the argument.

Kate is not the only person in this country to have come from a comfortable family background. Yet, most, rather than living off their parents hard earned wealth, choose to make something of themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom