The Family and Background of the Duchess of Cambridge, the Middletons 1, Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Arthur looks like a very sweet baby. I like his outfit and I'm glad we managed to get a good glimpse of him. He reminds me of George a little when he was a baby.

I guess we know what the DoC is going to look like when she's older. Mrs. Middleton looks gorgeous and she & her family have done really well for themselves.

Carole is almost a clone of Catherine in the cover photo!

Pippa has aged quite a bit if you look at those pictures. I guess it's the sleepless nights...

She has always had a 'harder' look (much like Camilla) probably due to the sun exposure and just her natural look...now it's exaggerated due to being a new mom who is probably up every few hours etc.

LaRae

Depression is one of the major issues that’s hitting people all across this planet like crazy. It’s truly a silent problem and I’m glad, James Middleton, is opening up about what he’s going through. We knew about his dyslexia, but, he’s just been diagnosed with ADD.

It doesn’t matter: who you are, where you come from and how much money you have - these major issues can hit you and your family. God knows I’ve been dealing with some very deep stuff too.

I'm happy to see James Middleton come out and openly talk about his own battles with depression. Too many times when depression hits, the most common feeling is that you're totally alone and no one can understand what you're going through and in open discussions, we find out that we're never alone.

Diagnoses of specific causes are actually the blessing. It lets us know and understand just what factors are there that are causing an impact on our mental health. Knowing the problem is the first step to accepting and understanding how to deal with them.

Knowledge is power.

Good on him. Glad he seems better and was comfortable to speak out.

Francis Martineau Lupton (1848-1921) Businessman and Housing Reformer. A brief biography of Catherine’s great-great grandfather.

Via princesspleats Twitter

There are still streets and buildings around Leeds named after the Lupton family, and many reminders of their contribution over the years to the life and improvement of the city: in industry and commerce, in public service, in education, in housing.

Francis (Frank) Martineau Lupton made his mark in the transforming work of slum clearance, helping to lift the city out of Victorian darkness and squalor. But alongside his public and professional work, he had to endure, like so many others, the unsparing personal tragedies of the First World War.

He had a comfortable, favoured childhood: first at Potternewton Hall, a handsome Queen Anne house, and then at ‘Beechwood’, an impressive mansion set in parkland in Elmete Lane, Roundhay. His father Francis was a partner in the family wool business, while his mother Fanny was active in various social causes, particularly women’s education; her aunt was the writer Harriet Martineau, and this family connection gave Frank his second name. He had three younger brothers, all destined to play a part in the city’s life. After study at Leeds Grammar School, he went on to Trinity College, Cambridge.

Frank joined the family business, William Lupton & Sons, at Whitehall Mills, and in his spare time served in the volunteer Leeds Rifles. In 1880, when he was 32, he married Harriet Davis, daughter of the vicar of St John’s Church, Roundhay, near his home. Five children followed, three sons and two daughters, and they moved to a new, handsome house, ‘Rockland’, at the top of St Mary’s Road, Newton Park, Chapeltown, built on part of the Lupton estate. But tragedy struck in 1892 when Harriet, just after the birth of their second daughter, caught influenza and died. Frank never remarried. A fearsome housekeeper looked after the house and his five children until his daughters could take over.

Frank entered local politics and was elected a Councillor and then Alderman. He had a particular interest in the housing and welfare of the poor, and as a follower of the social reformer Octavia Hill believed ardently in the need to improve and regenerate inner city areas of working class housing. For 10 years from 1896 he chaired the Council’s Unhealthy Areas Committee, set up with new powers to tackle the ‘evil legacy’ of the Leeds slums, breeding grounds for disease and death.

Its first major scheme was to clear the notorious York Street and Quarry Hill areas, with their crumbling, dank yards. Inspections had to be made, prices agreed, tenants moved out, the rotting buildings demolished, rehousing organised – almost four thousand buildings were cleared. Frank led the action, and promoted other more modest schemes, involving selective demolition to create light, air and open spaces, and the regeneration of existing still usable housing. He opposed the Council’s proposal to build flats (‘tenements’) for rehousing and this disagreement triggered his resignation as chairman, but he continued as a member, and later chaired the Council’s Improvement and Finance committees – a long record of dedicated public service.

In 1914 his daughter Olive married a Leeds solicitor, Richard Middleton – a union which has famously linked the family story to the ancestry of the present Duchess of Cambridge. But this happy event was overshadowed by the outbreak of war. All three of Frank’s sons went to the Front. One by one they were killed in action: Maurice, his middle son, in the trenches of Lille in 1915; Lionel, his youngest son, at the Battle of the Somme in 1916, having returned to the Front after being wounded; and Francis, his eldest son, in early 1917, after an agonising wait when he had been declared missing. All three are buried in France.

Frank, a quiet and unassuming man, was said to have borne his losses stoically, but the light had gone out of his life. After the war he let his house ’Rockland’ at a nominal rent for use as a home for the children of soldiers and sailors lost in the war and moved with his daughter to a smaller house. He died soon after, in 1921, and was buried at St John’s Church, Roundhay.

It was said at his funeral that he had ‘brought sunshine to the fetid slums of Leeds’, but his own life lay in shadow.

Last edited:
During WWII, Catherine’s grandfather, Clifton College and Oxford educated Peter Middleton, flew a de Havilland Mosquito fighter bomber, nudging the wings of deadly German buzz bombs, or doodlebugs and V-1 flying bombs to divert them from hitting London.

Pic

Pic 2

Last edited:
So cute to see the dogs taking a ride with James. Love that he is a crazy dog man! :D

Catherine and her great great-grandmother Olive *** Potternewton Hall

As Catherine continues to ready herself for the onerous duties of a future Queen, the tale of her remarkable great grandmother shows how public service truly runs in the family

Born Olive Lupton, she, her three brothers and sister enjoyed the life of aristocratic luxury before Britain was ravaged by the outbreak of the Great War.

She grew up in opulent surroundings at the family's ancestral seat of Potternewton Hall Estate, near Leeds in Yorkshire, after being born into one of the pre-eminent families of her time

Her father Francis Martineau Lupton was a wealthy businessman, running the family merchant and cloth making operation, and was also an influential Liberal member of Parliament

Like many of the great families of Britain at the time, they lived the ultimate high life.

Reactions: eya
Sir Charles Lupton (Catherine’s great-great-great uncle) leads a group of men, including Catherine’s great-great-grandfather, Francis Martineau Lupton in reviewing troops in Leeds, 1915. #DuchessofCambridge

Pic

Also in the pic are Alderman Hugh and Arthur Lupton. All three Lupton men, Francis, Hugh and Arthur were City alderman at the time.

Isabella Lupton (centre), the great-great-great aunt of The Duchess of Cambridge, with Princess Mary, daughter of King George V. #royal #royalty #brf #Leeds

Pic

Is princesspleats Twitter

Last edited by a moderator:
Isabella Lupton (centre), the great-great-great aunt of The Duchess of Cambridge, with Princess Mary, daughter of King George V. #royal #royalty #brf #Leeds

Pic

Is princesspleats Twitter

Aunt by marriage. Her husband Hugh was the brother of Kate's great-great grandfather Frances. It is said she was introduced to court by Princess Mary's mother in law, Countess Harewood. When Hugh was Lord Mayor of Leeds, the couple would host Princess Mary and her husband.

Here’s a pic with Kate’s aunt and uncle

Princess Mary climbs into her car after meeting the Lord Mayor (left, holding his top hat) and Lady Mayoress (right) of Leeds. They are The Duchess of Cambridge’s great-great-great aunt and uncle.

Pic

Last edited:
We all know Catherine is patron of the @NPGLondon But few will know the gallery also holds nearly 20 portraits of two of her relatives, Dr James and Harriet Martineau.

The notable figures, going back six generations of her father’s side of the family, have portraits there.

--
In 1962 Capt. Peter Middleton was hand picked to serve as 1st officer to Prince Philip for his 2 month tour to South America. 49 years later, Peter’s granddaughter Catherine would marry Philip’s grandson William. #DuchessofCambridge #PrinceWilliam

Pic

Pic 2

Via princesspleats Twitter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Party at Pippa's! Kate dons a £2,075 Alexander McQueen dress as she joins family at her sister's London home to celebrate her mother Carole's 64th birthday:

The Duchess of Cambridge donned a favourite Alexander McQueen dress as she stepped out for her mother's birthday party last night.

Kate, 37, arrived without husband William, 36, for the soiree, which was hosted by sister Pippa and brother-in-law James Matthews at their home in Chelsea, London.

In a typically resourceful fashion, the royal plumped for a £2,075 Alexander McQueen dress that she previously wore to a garden party in Berlin in 2017.

Familiar pictures. Catherine was clearly not amused to find photographers at her sister's doorstep.

:previous:

I'm so disturbed by those pictures. I don't know something is just ... wrong
I mean she's not Kate Middleton anymore but HRH the Duchess of Cambridge. And here she looks like a panicked trapped rabbit...
Where is the respect for Pete's sake ?

Supply and demand, Nico.
People want to see her, what she is wearing, how she looks.

I have no doubt the paps have Pippa's house staked out 24/7; else why all the pictures of Pippa walking her dogs or going to the gym? Doesn't matter- clickbait!

Same with any of the Middletons, the press is relentless because the public interest is there.
And when that happens, any hope of privacy goes out the window.

I'm so disturbed by those pictures. I don't know something is just ... wrong
I mean she's not Kate Middleton anymore but HRH the Duchess of Cambridge. And here she looks like a panicked trapped rabbit...
Where is the respect for Pete's sake ?

I thought the same thing. Catherine clearly noticed the photographers and seemed angry at them being there (which I don't blame her for, since this was a private party). This did remind me of the photos we used to see of the couple going out when they were dating back in 2008.

Whilst I feel for Catherine, she looks like a deer caught in the headlights but she is The Duchess of Cambridge and she’s out in a public place. I would imagine she’s been followed leaving KP, and caught on the off but this is always going to happen.

Organisation prevents this from happening.

Yes, that was very intrusive on the photographers' part, but also not surprising. I feel very sorry for Catherine; on the other hand, after this amount of time it also shouldn't come as a huge shock. While her irritation is justified, it might have been wiser to have more of her game face on show--not smiley/smiley, necessarily, but perhaps more neutral and less obviously rattled. Much less of a story that way.

Yes you'd think by now she would be used to this and be able to carry it off better. Or why not have her mother's party somewhere more private.... If they went to KP, it would probably be easier to avoid the press...

I doubt she and William live entirely holed up at KP and Anmer. She’s surely used to being able to visit friends and family sometimes and have the visits stay private. So I don’t think it’s out of line for her to be surprised and out of sorts when something falls apart and the paps show up.

I too don’t like these pics. They remind me of those hounding Kate Middleton days. With her hand over her face - you can tell she’s annoyed and uncomfortable.

I thought the same thing. Catherine clearly noticed the photographers and seemed angry at them being there (which I don't blame her for, since this was a private party). This did remind me of the photos we used to see of the couple going out when they were dating back in 2008.

I was thinking the same thing....the closeness of the press, the deer in the headlight look, etc reminded me of the early days when Kate and William were just dating. A total different look from Kate when she is doing her royal engagements and with her family. I am surprised her bodyguards couldn't keep the press further away from her. Also surprised that William didn't attend.

Yes, its all about supply and demand. People still have an interest in the Middleton family and still hate on Pippa. That's why we get endless pics of her walking her dogs, getting coffee and now taking her son for a walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom