The Family and Background of the Duchess of Cambridge, the Middletons 1, Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Duchess of Cambridge: Family, Wealth and Background

Claudia Joseph's book on Kate which goes into the background of the her various sides of the family talks about Olive Lupton's three brothers dying in the Great War including Lionel on July 16, 1916 at the Somme.

The John Singer Sargent portrait of Albert Spencer in uniform dates from 1915. So he had to join earlier than 1917.

http://www.wikiart.org/en/john-singer-sargent/portrait-of-albert-spencer-7th-earl-spencer-1915

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

The story they knew each other and joined together seems a stretch. There were 51 British divisions involved in the battle, and even if they attended Trinity at the same time, no proof they knew each other more than in passing. Seems another attempt by reporters to find royal connections even if they are a huge stretch.

According to this Lupton was in the field artillery, and indeed died during the Somme (early) in July 1916 (only a few weeks into a battle that lasted into November).

Lieutenant Lionel Martineau Lupton (1892 - 1916) - Find A Grave Memorial

Albert was a captain in the first life guards (members of the household cavalry).

The story they knew each other and joined together seems a stretch. There were 51 British divisions involved in the battle, and even if they attended Trinity at the same time, no proof they knew each other more than in passing. Seems another attempt by reporters to find royal connections even if they are a huge stretch.

According to this Lupton was in the field artillery, and indeed died during the Somme (early) in July 1916 (only a few weeks into a battle that lasted into November).

Lieutenant Lionel Martineau Lupton (1892 - 1916) - Find A Grave Memorial

Albert was a captain in the first life guards (members of the household cavalry).
To be fair, BBC talked alot about how it was very very common for classmates, footballclubs, choirs etc to sign up together and then get shipped of together. Hence why an areas whole "supply" of young men could be wiped out in one day...

It's just speculation on their part, but it's very possible. Or at least that they recognized each other. You know, aquantiances. They're not claiming they were best friends.

Was not aware that she - Olive Middleton - had blood cousins who were Baronesses - Baroness Airedale and Lady Bullock - 2nd cousins that she knew and worked with!

I thought all of her family were poor..... working class. I read the Daily Mail... silly me!

After all of these years of Kate being from a "middle-class family" - I knew that was wrong!!!! Palace PR to make her appear more like us simple commoners! Now we know the truth

Last edited by a moderator:
Olive is Michael Middleton's side of the family. His side was business type people with some money. It's Carole's side that was the coal miners from Durham working class side. Both her sides of the family were lower income working class.

"Olive volunteered as a nurse with her relatives Baroness Airedale, left, and Lady Bullock, right

Her father Francis Martineau Lupton was a wealthy businessman, running the family merchant and cloth making operation, and was also an influential Liberal member of parliament.
Like many of the great families of Britain at the time, they lived the ultimate high life.
Olive's three brothers - Maurice, Lionel and Francis - reputedly drove around Cambridge in a Rolls Royce whilst studying their at Trinity College like their father before them." UK Daily Express June 2nd 2016

In Europe , a "business family" - as you say - does not have Baronesses as their cousins who work with them. A "business family" would NOT have grown up at the huge manor house and have all the land and money that Olive Middleton grew up in.

The photo of Baroness Airedale - Olive Middleton's cousin and neighbour - is photographed with a coronet on her head - to attend George V's coronation.

Yes Carole Middleton's family were working class. Michael Middleton's titled, wealthy family were what we call in the UK and Europe - landed gentry.

That is what this story has shown. and similar stories were in the UK Telegraph 2 years ago.

Lovely to talk to you

In the lead up to the royal wedding, depending on the newspaper, you got two completely different narratives.

The right-wing DM portrayed Kate as a someone William saved from a life of a poor street urchin, while left-wing papers like the Guardian laughed at the idea Kate was just a 'regular' girl.

Polly Toynbee in particular said there aren't many 'regular' girls that have a public school education, whose parents are millionaires and live such a privileged life.

This is the reality of Britain and the remnants of the class system, either Kate is too posh for some, or she's not posh enough for others.

Mike Middleton's family is above reproach and that's the reason he's hardly ever mentioned in tabloids. It's Carole and her 'social climbing' that really gets DM readers worked up lol.

Last edited:

How is Michael side titled? If you have relatives that marry into the aristocracy? If my cousin married a baron, it doesn't make me a baron.

It's isn't a secret or a pr move from the palace. The press always focuses on Carole and her roots. KP isn't hiding the Middleton's side. The trip to Bletchley Park talked about her Grandmother Valerie's code breaking work. Kate and William met one of Kate's cousins when they visited Cambridge University and it was reported at the time.

When all is said and done, blood is just that. Blood. Of course there's a lot of emphasis on the genetics and whom one descended from and what family is older and/or more titled but, to me, as far as a person's character, upbringing, and education should be looked at with only the person in question and not that somewhere back in the middle ages that person had an ancestor that singlehandedly defended the King to the death.

For me, the most interesting story that came out at the time of the wedding was it became known that Peter Middleton, Kate's grandfather, and Prince Philip spent time together while on a tour of South America in 1962.

Attachments

• petenphil.jpg
    petenphil.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 422
Michael Middleton's family is certainly titled.

His great great uncle was Sir Charles Lupton of Leeds (who did NOT marry to get his title)

His second cousin (2r) was Lady Bullock, nee Lupton of Leeds

His first cousin (3r) was Baroness von Schunck, nee Lupton (of Leeds) whose daughter was Baroness Airedale of Leeds

THESE TWO LADIES WERE INVITED TO GEORGE V's CORONATION!!!

NO SURPRISES that Michael's father was a co-pilot with Prince Philip.

I no longer believe that Kate is from a simple family who made money. That was just rubbish sold to us by the tabloids. As it says in the Express article today - Olive Middleton was from a "great" "eminent" "aristocratic" family - and extraordinarily rich.

THAT is how Kate was at private school when aged 4 - BEFORE Party Pieces even started.

:previous:

There is no need to shout.

While members of Michael Middleton's family in past generations were titled (some of whom were titled because they married into titled families), the branch of the family that Michael comes from was not.

It is therefore a great stretch IMO to say the Middletons were landed gentry (a point that was made several times when you first made statements of the like back in 2012).

Last edited:
Michael Middleton's grandmother was an aristocrat as the Express has revealed.

Please don't think I was shouting!

I guess I was fooled in the early days with talk form the Daily Mail about how "Commoner Kate" would never cope with life as a royal. When you see the superb estates Michael Middleton's grandmother grew up in and the titled members of the family and the wealth.....

Kate was indeed BORN to be a POSH royal and probably a POSH Queen too!!

I guess I am jealous!!

The tabloids weren't trying to sell Kate has a simple girl, they were trying to shame Carole from being descendant of miners, being born or living in council house but yet not knowing her place in society by having the nerve to have a successful business. They never went after Michael side of the family.

It is great to have these chats again.

I recall now that some people on this site seem to be determined to categorize the Middleton family as "normal and just-like-us". ...like the early UK Daily Mail reports described them.

We have discovered in more recent years that Michael Middleton's family are EXACTLY what the UK Telegraph and UK Daily Express have revealed them to be. wealthy snobs with generations that went to Trinity College, magnificent country estates and MONEY.

Kate's great great uncle - the brother of Olive Middleton of course! - was even a chum with Princess Diana's grandad. Read about it on the UK Daily express web-site this morning!

In short, I agree even MORE with reference in the October 2013 edition of Majesty magazine (yes I have a copy!!) - that Olive Middleton's family were "landed Gentry" and that she was an "heiress" as Joe described her.

I will not be arguing with Jo Little - the editor of Majesty either - nor the other more truthful broadsheet editors. Cheers again

How sad is it that all three brothers were killed in the war, like many families I assume. What a senseless waste

"Both her sides (Mum and Dad) of the (Kate's) family were lower income working class".

This is what "Queen Camilla" told me this morning.

This is just NOT TRUE.

I almost give up. Thank God the other commentators are more realistic. Can I ask also WHY "Skippyboo" started up a thread doubting that Mike Middleton's grt. uncle would NOT know Princess Diana's grandad at Cambridge - in the same college. Of course these 2 posh young men would know each other.

They joined up together!

The article states that the Lupton fellow "drove around Cambridge in a Rolls Royce".
as the journalist says, they were arisocrats. We must accept this.

Olive is Michael Middleton's side of the family. His side was business type people with some money. It's Carole's side that was the coal miners from Durham working class side. Both her sides of the family were lower income working class.

That's my earlier post since I am being slandered. Both sides of her family being lower income working class is referring to Carole Middleton. Not Kate.

I didn't even mention anything whether Lionel Lupton knew Albert Spencer.

A college of 300 students (Trinity) within a bigger University of thousands (Cambridge), how are you so sure that they knew each other?

It is great to have these chats again.

I recall now that some people on this site seem to be determined to categorize the Middleton family as "normal and just-like-us". ...like the early UK Daily Mail reports described them.

We have discovered in more recent years that Michael Middleton's family are EXACTLY what the UK Telegraph and UK Daily Express have revealed them to be. wealthy snobs with generations that went to Trinity College, magnificent country estates and MONEY.

Kate's great great uncle - the brother of Olive Middleton of course! - was even a chum with Princess Diana's grandad. Read about it on the UK Daily express web-site this morning!

In short, I agree even MORE with reference in the October 2013 edition of Majesty magazine (yes I have a copy!!) - that Olive Middleton's family were "landed Gentry" and that she was an "heiress" as Joe described her.

I will not be arguing with Jo Little - the editor of Majesty either - nor the other more truthful broadsheet editors. Cheers again

So what is your point? You seem to be as bad about Michael Middleton as the DM is about Carole. Suck it up buttercup

Y'know, all this sins of the father and pedigree debates which should really take place on websites that have extensive debates, papers and proof of the bloodlines of dogs makes me wonder just what would have happened should Kate's lineage be like mine is and started with her as she would have been adopted by the Middletons with her birth records sealed for all eternity?

The Middleton family, in the here and the now, really haven't put one foot wrong since they've come to the attention of the public by having a daughter that met, married and are now grandparents, aunts and uncle of the heir and the spare to the royal throne of the UK.

Sometimes I think the tabloids and people just can't get through life without finding something wrong about someone else. Go figure.

A college of 300 students (Trinity) within a bigger University of thousands (Cambridge), how are you so sure that they knew each other?

Miche, could I ask (because I've been looking for the numbers and can't find them) where the figure of 300 students at Trinity in 1910 comes from? It's so frustrating when one's Google-fu fails one! :flowers:

Miche, could I ask (because I've been looking for the numbers and can't find them) where the figure of 300 students at Trinity in 1910 comes from? It's so frustrating when one's Google-fu fails one! :flowers:

I'm sorry I'm using today's number.

This cambridge site said there were 1,191 students at Cambridge in 1910
https://www.cam.ac.uk/about-the-university/history/nineteenth-and-twentieth-centuries
from the same site (University of Cambridge)
In the First World War (1914-19), 13,878 members of the University served and 2,470 were killed.

The 13K would have been more than just students. Almost every able body man from their late teens to their early 40s could volunteer or later be drafted. From Claudia Joseph's book Lionel Lupton was in the Royal Field Artillery and Albert Spencer in the Life Guards per Wikipedia. They didn't join the same regiment together.

Last edited:
Thank you very much, miche. Those numbers, to me, tend to support the idea that they knew each other.

[-]With 1191 students across Cambridge, one can probably estimate that there were probably between 60 and 110 at Trinity proper (right now, Trinity has 5 or 6% of the undergrad population, but there were 8 fewer colleges then, so it may have had a higher proportion, but probably not more than 10%).

Those students would have been split across 3 or 4 years, giving an entering class size of 20 at the minimum to 37 at the maximum.
[/-]

Two people who entered the college in the same year could hardly avoid knowing each other, given that the colleges provide accommodation and a dining hall.

Edited to add:
And my math is totally off since when I looked, it's actually 1191 matriculating students. So it would actually be between 60 and 110 students entering each year (5-10% of the 1191) with no further division by class size.

I suppose it's possible to have no contact with one person amongst 110 whom one lives in the same building with, but it frankly seems unlikely. While there's no definitive evidence that they knew each other, I'd be very surprised indeed if they didn't. There are about the same number of grade 1 students at my child's school, spread across 6 classrooms, and she has a pretty good handle on who most of them are after a single year.

Last edited:
Those are the number for the University as a whole, out of 1,191 students, it would be a much smaller number at Trinity college. So it is very possible that they knew each other using the 1910 numbers.

The Express article says they even studied the same subject. I have to agree, it would be surprising if they didn't know each other.

The Luptons had sufficient social status and money at the time to easily move within the same circles as Albert Spencer

Michael Middleton in no way comes from aristocracy, money yes, aristocracy no. And his money connections were never hidden. It is a well known fact Kate's education was paid for through a family trust on her father's side. It was how her parents could send their kids to expensive boarding schools before their company took off.

his 'artistocratic connections', none he is actually descended from:

Baroness Airedale: William Lupton III had several children. His son Frances III was Olive's grandfather, she was the daughter of his eldest son. Frances' brother Damton fathered Kate Lupton (a first cousin of Olive's dad). Kate married Baron von Schunck, and their daughter married Baron Airedale.

Sir Charles Lupton: was a knight, he receive the OBE. He certainly wasn't an aristocrat. Charles was Olive's Uncle, her father Frances' younger brother (2 of the five sons of Frances Lupton III).

Lady Bullock: Lady Bullock is of a similar relation as Baroness Airedale. Besides Frances and Damton (Olive and Baroness Airedale's grandfathers), William had a third son Joseph. Joseph's son Henry was a cloth merchant and had five children, among them Geoffrey Lupton, a leading figure in the arts and crafts movement. Lady Bullock was born Barbara Lupton, Henry's daughter. Her husband was Sir Christopher Bullock, a civil servant, but a member of the powerful Bullock family. He had some aristocratic blood in the female line. His maternal grandmother was the daughter of the 5th Earl of Orkney. He was a knight commander of the order of bath, and a commander of the order of the british empire, hence his title.

Olive Lupton's father established a trust for his descendents. One of those was Peter Middleton, an Oxford educate pilot, and Michael's father. The Middleton side (Olive marrying Richard Noel Middleton) were solicitors for generations. Michael's niece Lucy is a solicitor.

Last edited:
Here's confirmation that he attended Trinity.

THE WAR LIST OF THE UNIVERSITY OF CAMBRIDGE 19141918
It was felt that, as an official record of the war services of Cambridge men, this list ought to include only those who were Cambridge men at the time of their war service.

TRINITY COLLEGE 427
LUND,H. Capt., R.A.M.C. (2nd W. Gen. Hospital, T.F.) 1878
LUPTON, A. C. Capt., Yorkshire Hussars and Remount 1893 Service
LUPTON, B. C. Capt., D. of Wellington's (W. Riding 1913 Regt., T.F.) (W2.) M.C.andBar
*LUPTON, F. A. Major, W. Yorks. Regt.(T.F.) 1904 Killed in action 19 Feb. 1917
LUPTON, H. R. Capt., W. Yorks. Regt.; attd. North- 1912 umberland Fus. (W 4.) M.C. M.
*LUPTON, L. M. Lieut., R.F.A.(T.F.) (W.) M 2. 1910 Killed in action 1 6 July 1916
*LUPTON, M. Capt., W. Yorks. Regt. 1906 Killed in action 19 June 1915
LUPTON, N. D. Major, W. Yorks. Regt.(T.F.) and 1894 London Regt. (Rifles); Major, Spec. List (Cmdt., Reception Camp)

But the Lupton/Spencer link is still missing
and this book seems
to dispel that notion that they joined together

There are Spencer's listed, including at Trinity College but no Albert Spencer.

The book can be found online in various forms including text and through subscription from the University's website or previewed through google book.

But the link that you posted from Peerage about Albert says that he graduated from Trinity College.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom