The Family and Background of the Duchess of Cambridge, the Middletons 1, Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone has missed my central theme. They court publicity and should not.

I believe publicity courts them. The Duchess' family has never actively sought out public attention; rather the ever vigilant British press takes advantage of the Middleton family presence when and wherever possible. As HRH Prince Philip once famously said: 'you have mosquitoes, I have the press.':bang:

I believe publicity courts them. The Duchess' family has never actively sought out public attention; rather the ever vigilant British press takes advantage of the Middleton family presence when and wherever possible. As HRH Prince Philip once famously said: 'you have mosquitoes, I have the press.':bang:

True. Don't forget that Pippa gets stalked by the paps to the tune of 400 pictures a day.

Paparazzi snap Pippa Middleton up to 400 times a day | Reuters

But she asks for it, after all, she chooses to leave her apartment.

After (or before) Fergie married Prince Andrew, did her mother or stepmother write articles promoting their products in magazines as Carole has recently done? Did her sister living in Australia do so? (Well, actually I can answer that. She didn't!) Do we know anything about the lives of Fergie's half-siblings? I bet not! Has Sophie Wessex's brother ever courted the limelight in any way? Don't think so!

Ever wondered why so many photos of Pippa appear in the tabloids? Is it that she is besieged by paps, or is that she rings them herself on many occasions? It's no good saying that the Middletons don't court publicity when they have received more that the Rhys Jones, Phillips, Tindalls, and the Fergusons combined have ever done (with the possible exception of Major Ferguson.)

After (or before) Fergie married Prince Andrew, did her mother or stepmother write articles promoting their products in magazines as Carole has recently done? Did her sister living in Australia do so? (Well, actually I can answer that. She didn't!) Do we know anything about the lives of Fergie's half-siblings? I bet not! Has Sophie Wessex's brother ever courted the limelight in any way? Don't think so!

Ever wondered why so many photos of Pippa appear in the tabloids? Is it that she is besieged by paps, or is that she rings them herself on many occasions? It's no good saying that the Middletons don't court publicity when they have received more that the Rhys Jones, Phillips, Tindalls, and the Fergusons combined have ever done (with the possible exception of Major Ferguson.)

He has. I suggest you look up his deal with Hello! magazine.

Tim Laurence's brother has also given an interview where he was very harsh about the BRF.

Last edited:
These are single happenings. I can't remember the last occasion I saw anything about Sophie W's brother or Tim's family in articles in any magazines or newspapers, while Pippa, James and Carole have been constantly photographed and featured. Mike Middleton at least keeps his head down and away from publicity.

Carole is promoting a business that she was running before her daughter ever met William. The question should be, did they ever write articles promoting their product prior to their marriage...and if they did, do people only care now because who their daughter married.

If I recall, Jane's [Fergie's sister] did have an article or two about her in Hello Magazine...and they were definitely posed pictures. Maybe even an article about her 2nd wedding.

There has been coverage on Fergie's half siblings in addition to her niece, Ayesha.

Let's face it...rich, young and beautiful people have the it factor now and that's who people write and read about. So know one is really interested in the older generation with all due respect to Sophie's dad or Mike's parents.

You are suggesting that the Middleton's are courting publicity...that Pippa is calling before she leaves the house. That's very funny...there have been many things said about them from the press but the press has never implied that...unless you have something to back up your statement.

^ These are paps, like Tanna. They don't work for the press, who wouldn't necessarily know. And I was posing a question, probably one to which no-one but Pippa would know the answer!

Also Carole is neither young nor beautiful, yet there has been plenty about her in the Press for the last four years.

Last edited:
These are single happenings. I can't remember the last occasion I saw anything about Sophie W's brother or Tim's family in articles in any magazines or newspapers, while Pippa, James and Carole have been constantly photographed and featured. Mike Middleton at least keeps his head down and away from publicity.

I noticed that you've focused on the families of minor royals, royals who rarely get publicity themselves, let alone attention for their in-laws.

If you wanted to be fair, you would compare the Middletons to other in-laws of monarchs, past, present, and future. The relatives of QEQM, Philip, Camilla, and Diana have frequently appeared in the press. Mostly, by their own choosing. In fact, the Middletons have been quite timid in comparison.

I think the criticism of the businesses is they use the royal connections. 'The royal wedding line' that party pieces released before the wedding. I remember Corgi pieces. 'The royal baby shower' theme before George was born. Plenty of critics of the Middletons have pointed at these as signs that they are cashing in on their daughter.

There was also James using covers of magazines his sister was on on photograph cakes to promote his business.

Not saying I agree or disagree, simply some of the criticism I have seen.

As well as of course constant rumors Pippa and Carole tip off the media.

I think the criticism of the businesses is they use the royal connections. 'The royal wedding line' that party pieces released before the wedding. I remember Corgi pieces. 'The royal baby shower' theme before George was born. Plenty of critics of the Middletons have pointed at these as signs that they are cashing in on their daughter.

There was also James using covers of magazines his sister was on on photograph cakes to promote his business.

Not saying I agree or disagree, simply some of the criticism I have seen.

As well as of course constant rumors Pippa and Carole tip off the media.
I see you conveniently left out the fact that he produced cakes for every cover the magazine ever published, as he was hired for an anniversary party for the magazine.

I've never read a single article to make that claim. And the British press has no problem making up nasty lies about the Middletons, so that should tell you something.

True. Don't forget that Pippa gets stalked by the paps to the tune of 400 pictures a day.

Oh my gosh, I had no idea that she was subjected to that level of harassment by the press:ohmy:.

Carole is promoting a business that she was running before her daughter ever met William. The question should be, did they ever write articles promoting their product prior to their marriage...and if they did, do people only care now because who their daughter married.

If I recall, Jane's [Fergie's sister] did have an article or two about her in Hello Magazine...and they were definitely posed pictures. Maybe even an article about her 2nd wedding.

There has been coverage on Fergie's half siblings in addition to her niece, Ayesha.

Let's face it...rich, young and beautiful people have the it factor now and that's who people write and read about. So know one is really interested in the older generation with all due respect to Sophie's dad or Mike's parents.

You are suggesting that the Middleton's are courting publicity...that Pippa is calling before she leaves the house. That's very funny...there have been many things said about them from the press but the press has never implied that...unless you have something to back up your statement.
Charles Spencer worked as an on-air correspondent with NBC News from 1986 to 1995, primarily for the network's morning programme, Today, and NBC Nightly News. He wrote and presented the 12-part documentary series, "Great Houses of the World" (1994–1995) for NBC Super Channel. He also worked as a reporter for Granada Television from 1991 to 1993. So press attention to the various siblings and parents of the people who married into the BRF has been ongoing for a few decades now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, Charles Spencer was a big gun in feathering his own nest and garnering publicity for himself due to his sister having married into the BRF. Speaking strictly personally, I don't approve of it and didn't at the time. The same with Tom PB. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Nor do I approve of the Middletons advancing their various interests because their daughter/sister is going to be a future Queen Consort. It just leaves a bad taste in the mouth and leaves them open to criticism and bad publicity.

I see you conveniently left out the fact that he produced cakes for every cover the magazine ever published, as he was hired for an anniversary party for the magazine.

I've never read a single article to make that claim. And the British press has no problem making up nasty lies about the Middletons, so that should tell you something.

I don't recall saying articles. I said 'critics'. Those were the arguments I have read on many different boards, and in the comment sections of articles. I didn't 'conveniently' leave anything out, just repeating what I remember reading on other boards.

My take on all this is:

1. It was Kate's birthday weekend and she spent it with her family
2. It has been obvious in the past that HM, The Queen likes the Middletons
3. In their private lives, they all end up being just who they are in a family manner.
4. It was Sunday and people go to church. All people are His children in His eyes.
5. The Middleton family has had far more crap flung at them than they have reaped "benefits" from their daughter marrying into a royal family. They didn't ask for publicity but now even their personal lives are presumed a fair target.

I just can't see how it can be so incredibly awful for two families to enjoy each other, spend time together and actually get along together. For all we know, in private, HM has told Carole to just call her "Granny" or "Lilibet". Its possible. Its their private familial relationship and its the media, the paps and the press that wants to turn it into a public scrutiny.

I do not see it ending well.

I don't recall saying articles. I said 'critics'. Those were the arguments I have read on many different boards, and in the comment sections of articles. I didn't 'conveniently' leave anything out, just repeating what I remember reading on other boards.
Well ultimately the cake business failed. So the publicity did nothing to assist him.

Forgive me 400? Ms. Middleton does get chased by a Pap or two but nothing like the late Princess of Wales.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the problem is that some people are used to the old way of the royal in-laws disappearing into the sunset once their relative has married into the royal family. Those days are over. The media is interested in the Middletons, and the Middletons have tried to deal with the constant attention with grace and dignity.

Despite people dislike the attention on this family, they're not going anywhere, because William and Catherine are close to the Middletons, and they love and support each other. Both William and Catherine made all of this pretty clear in their engagement interview, so I don't see why people have a problem with this. It's important for Catherine to have her parents and siblings around her for love and support. Also, Mr. & Mrs. Middleton have two grandchildren to be around for.

Lessons have been learned from the past. William's mother didn't have no support while married to the Prince of Wales, and that's something she really needed. The Queen and the royal family know how important the Middletons are to the Cambridge's and have made them feel welcomed by the whole family. No one should have a problem with any of this really.

I don't hear anyone complaining about how present Sophie's father is in her and the kids lives. He may be an older man, but Sophie's dad is at Royal ascot practically every year and is often seen with them at the Royal Windsor horse show.

Family is important, no matter what.

The late Princess of Wales lived close to her sister who also lived in Kensington Palace environ. PW and his cousins played together regularly, it is my understanding.

:previous: I think Dman is referring to that with prior marriages, those who married into the BRF......tended to have see their immediate families less and less after their marriage.

Mark Phillips mother even commented that she never saw her son and his children on a regular. It was always understood that major holidays [ie. Christmas] would be spent with the BRF. Jane Fellowes was an exception and not the norm. As her husband worked for the Queen. She saw Sarah more as well since she served as a Lady in Waiting.

Since 1992, the Queen has understood that people want to see their immediate families as well. Thus you see more of Sophie's father and brother out and about with the family. Her father has even ridden in a carriage at Ascot. Camilla spends Christmas morning with the family, but the rest of the day is with her children and their families. You don't see the Linley and the Chatto's every year...I think they spend time with the in laws on off years. This was the first year that I remember that Autumn and Peter Phillips were not with the family at Christmas. I would assume she went to Canada to visit her family.

And William and Kate spend time with her family.

Last edited:
The late Princess of Wales lived close to her sister who also lived in Kensington Palace environ. PW and his cousins played together regularly, it is my understanding.

Yes, but she didn't have a support system within her family. Even Princess Michael commented on this. Diana had no one to turn to, but Catherine has her family close to her and that's how she wants it.

What will be funny is when Harry gets married and involves his wife's family in things, the 'criticism' will disappear.
As usual with the Cambridges and Middletons, the disapproval comes from a certain quarter of royal watchers

Last edited:
There's criticism of the Middletons seen in the tabloids, the comments sections of tabloids, in Royal forums and, in fact, all over the Internet. People complain that they are profiting in all sorts of ways because of their relationship with Kate.

I hardly think that each person who has ever complained about the Middleton family through those sources has done so because they are fans of Harry! When Charles Spencer was similarly making first making hay because of Diana, (something I disliked at the time) Harry was small.

The Middletons are business people whose business has sold several lines that could be said to be profitable because of Royal connections, as has been pointed out here. That has nothing to do with Harry. It is the first time that a business of this type has been so near to future monarchs, and people take note of it.

Last edited:
I think William is very fond of Kate's family and likes to be around them lets face if he didn't like them they wouldn't be around. So if their all happy it's really nothing to do with us.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

So everyone from the Queen's cousins to the Queen's grandchildren are allowed to make money and 'cash' in on their royal connections but the Middletons must stand in the corner?

I wonder where Camilla's son's career as writer would be without his lifelong connections to Charles.

And yes, the 'criticism' on royal forums and blogs does mostly come from Harry fans.

It's funny, go to any royal blog or website and the people who openly profess to be fans of Prince Harry spend most of there time criticising William and Catherine and her family. Very rarely do they even comment on Harry

I have stated my own opinion that I don't believe that Anyone, Charles Spencer, Tom PB, Mike Tindall, whoever it is, should be profiting from Royal connections. I've said that several times!

I don't agree at all that everyone who comments on forums against the Middletons, (primarily against Pippa and Carole), are Harry fans. A lot are republicans or have expressed no preference.

Journalists and commentators from the tabloids who have criticised are also rabid Harry fans, I suppose? I have news for you, Rudolph. Not everyone who dislikes this family or object to facets of their business is in love with Harry!

Tabloid criticism? Its tabloid gossip that some here eat up with gusto. There isn't a single example of the Middletons overtly 'cashing in'. Not one

So what's the solution, everyone with any connections to the royal family must go on benefits and not have a life. Its 2016, not 1916.

Given the parameters, our poor Harry will be single the rest of his life. No woman will want any part of it

Oh, come on! These connections are very well educated and could (and some, like the Duke of Kent's inlaws do) have extremely successful careers without going on benefits or cashing in.

Last edited:
What is 'cashing in' though? Making a living? Prince Michael of Kent no doubt gets a boost in his consulting business by being a royal highness and the Queen's cousin, but that doesn't mean he cashes in.

I have no idea if the Middletons business receives a boost or not. I wouldn't be surprised but it doesn't mean they're cashing in

'Royal baby shower' pieces shortly before George's birth, 'Corgi line', 'Royal Wedding' pieces just before the wedding in 2011. All Party Pieces lines. Yes, you could say that all companies that sell stuff similar to Party Pieces were promoting similar things before Royal occasions, and why should the Middletons miss out? To me however, and to others, that is a very very thin line between commercial enterprise and profiting by a Royal connection.

But wouldn't it be harsh on their business if they couldn't run it the way they would if they weren't Kate's family and therefore could not make the living they could otherwise make. Eg every other party supplier made royal baby pieces but not them. I don't know if I am explaining my view clearly but just think they had the business before William. JMO

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom