The Family and Background of the Duchess of Cambridge, the Middletons 1, Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"True colors" was not aimed at Pippa. It was aimed at the D&DofCa for their possible decision to take Pippa, who may not be well-versed in protocol, as the lady-in-waiting.

It may be speculation, but it seems possible that the latest article didn't come out of the blue.

I have nothing against nepotism in business situations.

I dont think that Pippa will seriously join the firm in that respect. Pippa is young, intelligent, ambitious and extrovert - LiW is a pretty dull job, at some point she will have to curtsey to her own sister, plus she doesnt have a clue about work in royal circles.
I would be very surprised. I rather see Pippa enjoying her new celebrity status, at some point she will chose one of the rich suitable guys lining up now and get married before becoming a socialite a la Jemima Khan, maybe with less money but even more influencial family connections.

:previous:Your's is the most likely scenario. I hope it works well for Ms. Pippa.

Wait,wait isn't Pippa starting a new company as well as running another facet of the party planning business? How can she start/run a company if she is the Duchesses LinW?

Something about this article doesn't seem right.....

I just do not think it has anything to do with any of the recent publicity in relation to Pippa. I think at this stage of her royal career, Catherine probably needs a lady-in-waiting who knows the ropes and is familiar with the royal way of life. Probably somebody from William's office or from CH might be able to help with that.

IMO, once Catherine is established as a working royal and if she so chooses, Pippa could become a lady-in-waiting.

Actually I think Pippa is an excellent choice for a lady-in-waiting for Kate.

It was put out during the engagement that Pippa just might be the lady-in-waiting of choice. Who knows? Pippa may have been undergoing extensive training for this role for months. Most ladies-in-waiting that I have heard of over the years (like for the Queen, the Queen Mum, Diana etc) have all been people that can be trusted and are loyal friends. It could very well be Pippa but I'd not be surprised to see two ladies until Pippa knows the ropes. We'll see...

pipa

Im agree with you, this make me sick:bang:

The funniest is that in greek the word pipa(Pippa) means blowjob and everyone in the media were joking with that fact and they say: "Pippa is very pipa!If she knew what is the meaning of her name she would keep the Philippa.

I would imagine Clarence House chosen someone already familiar with their routine. If anyone remembers, Helen Asprey helped fixing Catherine's train before she went down the aisle, so my bets would be on her.

Well it will likely be awhile before Catherine actually needs a Lady in Waiting, but I remember the press speculating on the possibility as soon as they got a good look at Pippa. It made a good story and they are running with it, her picture sells papers.

Actually I think Pippa is an excellent choice for a lady-in-waiting for Kate.

It was put out during the engagement that Pippa just might be the lady-in-waiting of choice. Who knows? Pippa may have been undergoing extensive training for this role for months. Most ladies-in-waiting that I have heard of over the years (like for the Queen, the Queen Mum, Diana etc) have all been people that can be trusted and are loyal friends. It could very well be Pippa but I'd not be surprised to see two ladies until Pippa knows the ropes. We'll see...

I agree, two would work out fine for now and we don't know if she has been being tought how to do this job for a while now..

I dont think that Pippa will seriously join the firm in that respect. Pippa is young, intelligent, ambitious and extrovert - LiW is a pretty dull job, at some point she will have to curtsey to her own sister, plus she doesnt have a clue about work in royal circles.
I would be very surprised. I rather see Pippa enjoying her new celebrity status, at some point she will chose one of the rich suitable guys lining up now and get married before becoming a socialite a la Jemima Khan, maybe with less money but even more influencial family connections.

I agree with you in this. Pippa is just three years past her exams at the university, she is not married yet and about to forge her own career. so she surely has better things to do than become a Lady-in-waiting. Eg Diana's sister Lady Sarah was older, more experienced in the Royal circles and married - all that Pippa is not.

I think William and Catherine will chose a suitable lady (Helen Asprey comes to mind) if we learned anything about Catherine so far, it's that she never takes chances for mishaps. So why should she appoint her sister when there is nothing to gain but a lot to loose (talk about nepotism, wrong advices due to missing knowledge and experiences etc.) It would be so un-Catherineish...

While I certainly agree that it is best for Catherine to have a Lady In Waiting who is well versed in the "royal" lifestyle as it relates to protocol, engagements, etc.. I find the suggestion that appointing Pippa to be her Lady in waiting as ill case of neopotism is a little over the top. Its not like Pippa (if this was the case) was using her connections to become the curator to the Royal Collection, and she didn't have the experience or education to do the job, and instead of being given to a qualified candidate its given to her because she is Catherine's sister...this is a Lady in waiting position.

Most Ladies in Waiting have a personal connection to the bride, and are usually over qualified (at least lately) for the position.

I think nepotism is not quite the word to use when talking about the hiring and whatnot of those close to royalty. From what I understand, and correct me if I'm wrong on this, those close to a royal such as a lady in waiting, would be similar as having a best friend and companion that you have near you. The courtiers and such would take care of what would be protocol and appointments and then instead of bothering the person, pass this on to the LIW who then would inform whatever royal.

Nepotism is favoritism granted to relatives or friends regardless of merit. This relates to fair labor practices I think mostly in the US. I'm not sure about the UK or any laws there. With the royals, I don't believe its a hired position but rather a choice by the royal involved of who they want, who they feel comfortable with and a friend. I'm sure I'll be corrected on this if I'm wrong.

Interesting subject though. I'd like to know more.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is a "cultural" difference in regards to the word neopotism than I am okay with that term.

But yes, in the States it brings negative connotations that a person received/got their position not on their merit but because of their familial status. And from what I understand about people who have held the title (lady in waiting) in the past, neopotism is pretty much a requirement. Again, referencing Lady Sarah and the Bowles Lyon Cousins.

Its not like you go to the royal.gov.uk website and search under careers and see Lady In Waiting...such a position is going to go to someone who is already in the circle so to speak. I believe Diana's first LiW was either Susan Hussey or Anne Beckwith Smith (not looking it up to confirm just going off memory...so if I am incorrect please forgive) ....these women were already known (and I believe had already worked for) the BRF.

But at the heart of the manner...I think that Kate's first LiW will be someone with some sort of experience and already works for either Prince William or Prince Charles. Heck it could even be someone who works for a minor royal who is looking for a little more experience.

taking into account that Catherine lives in Wales now, would the person need to go to her or the other way around?

I disagree that Pipa is the best candidate for Kate's lady in waiting. After the wedding she has gotten so much attention & publicity which wont be a good reflection if she is out with Kate on duties.

Kate needs a lady who is experienced to the protocol life, how things go & work, Kate needs someone who can advice her especially in her first years of marriage. Im not saying she has to be 60+ years old but someone who has worked in the field for a few years and is experienced.

I have read that the Duchess of Cornwall does not have a LIW, nor will The Duchess of Cambridge. She will eventually have a private secretary, but no other staff will be needed until she takes on public duties.

Nepotism is preferential treatment of a blood relative over anyone else.

Cronyism is preferential treatment of friends over anyone else.

I always thought that a Lady-in-Waiting was more of a companion than anything else. Camilla does have her sister, Annabelle (I think), as her official L-I-W, but might not need her right now.

Many of HM's friends are considered Ladies-in-Waiting, but they answer correspondence and other things HM couldn't possibly handle on her own. These women are never paid (at least in currency).

I think it would be OK to have Pippa as "a" L-I-W, but not "the" L-I-W.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I always thought that a Lady-in-Waiting was more of a companion than anything else. Camilla does have her sister, Annabelle (I think), as her official L-I-W, but might not need her right now.

Many of HM's friends are considered Ladies-in-Waiting, but they answer correspondence and other things HM couldn't possibly handle on her own. These women are never paid (at least in currency).

I think it would be OK to have Pippa as "a" L-I-W, but not "the" L-I-W.

Camilla does not have a Lady in Waiting she has never had one. Her sister Annabel Elliot has never been her L-I-W.

It's not automatic that royal women would have L-I-W, the European royal women only the Danish royals have them. The others don't the post was abolished or considered old fashion, the royal women have 'personal assistants, who can be male (Mette-Marit's is) or 'aide de comp' who come from the military (CP Victoria's hers is female) or just have none such as the Spanish royals, Queen Sophia abolished the position when she became queen.

Sophie Wessex was a working royal for 10 years before she got her first L-I-W so Kate may either never have one, or get one much later. It seems it will be her choice, the official word from St James's Palace, there are no plans for an increase in staff for the new Duchess, and when there is, she will get a Private Secretary. (so no plans for a l-i-w, Pippa or anyone else) It's also unlikely Pippa will be one since she's quite ambitious and has her own career plans.

I agree with the above comments, The media have blown the interest in Pippa way out of proportion, Kate is our new Duchess and I've read in several articles where they are belittling her looks, style, confidence in order to promote Pippa.

On another note, Thank you to the moderator who moved my post to the appropriate thread :)

Interesting to note that Catherine's father has three brothers who have
only two children between them. So Catherine has only two first cousins.
Her Mother has one brother who does not have any children.

Michael's father married a twin and his father's brother married the other twin.

I did not see any photos of these brothers at the wedding.

PS there has been alot of discussions about the wealth of the Middleton's, they have made their own fortune, but Michael also received two inheritances and there is longstanding trusts that have been in place for
the Middleton's children's education.

Actually, Carole's brother, Gary Goldsmith, has a daughter named Tallulah, if I can recall correctly.
But I didn't know these infos about Michael' side of the family. That show Meet the Middletons was more about people who have never met Catherine, then the immediate family

The twin aspect; does that make it possible that twins may now run in the Middleton blood line? The possibility of twins for William and Catherine?

The twin aspect; does that make it possible that twins may now run in the Middleton blood line? The possibility of twins for William and Catherine?

Hopefully this will not happen with the firstborn (s) - how to determine who is the eldest? And how to prove it? People could always believe that the twin's numbering in the line of succession was tempered with (especially if there was a boy first, then a girl - very convenient!) and people love a good story... which would weaken the monarchy, IMHO.

Last edited:
Actually, Carole's brother, Gary Goldsmith, has a daughter named Tallulah, if I can recall correctly.
But I didn't know these infos about Michael' side of the family. That show Meet the Middletons was more about people who have never met Catherine, then the immediate family

And you know this how?

During the service, there were a bunch of people that sat behind the Middletons. I would assume that they were her family, unless you have proof to suggest otherwise?

And since this wedding was not just Jack and Jane but William and Catherine, a future King and his consort, of course there were going to be a lot of people (government officials and extended family of the groom) who had never met Catherine.

And you know this how?

During the service, there were a bunch of people that sat behind the Middletons. I would assume that they were her family, unless you have proof to suggest otherwise?

And since this wedding was not just Jack and Jane but William and Catherine, a future King and his consort, of course there were going to be a lot of people (government officials and extended family of the groom) who had never met Catherine.

How I know what? that they have not met Catherine? cause they've said it!
I've watch Meet the Middletons on YT .
Also I didn't say they were not her family, what I was saying is that I didn't know about the twins on Michael' side of the family, since his brothers, are not that known, like and thank God, Gary Goldsmith.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom