The Family and Background of the Duchess of Cambridge, the Middletons 1, Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of the media no doubt will do so but most of the media and the public will realise that as this was the Middleton's business before Kate walked down the aisle then they can't be having a conflict of interests but it does raise the issue of Kate's suitability from a class standpoint - Diana's family had land and tradition to support them but Kate's are self-made so no doubt there will be a lot of snobbery from the media and unfortunately many in the public as well.

Hey -- anyone know where Kate Middleton hangs out because I could have sworn I just saw her having lunch at a pub -- hiding in the corner behind her friends. It was in Kensington -- the pub on St Albans Grove.
you should have asked her...

The 'princess' and the tat: Waity Katie's family sells official England World Cup merchandise | Mail Online

Kate Middleton's family is trying to cash in on the World Cup by selling official England merchandise.

The family-run business won approval to sell the goods from the Football Association, which boasts Prince William as its president.

The move will again raise questions as to whether the Middletons are exploiting their 28-year-old daughter's romance with the second-in-line to the throne.

Any decent company at this time in a country which has made the World Cup finals would be selling this stuff - where is the problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
^any opportunity to get website traffic out Kate is too good to pass up.

Non-story if there ever was one.

Fully agreed, just something to try and sell more papers with.

Any decent company at this time in a country which has made the World Cup finals would be selling this stuff - where is the problem?

Just what I was thinking, just because it is Kate's parents company the DailyMail feel it is worthy of there decorative writing skill.

Chelsy went to Ascot this week, so she hasn't been in Africa.
They never thing, that maybe they each have one?

Here in the states, what does it matter what Kate's background is?? But in GB, her background is of interest. Especially since she may be the mother of a king. This whole drawn out "engagemet" must be a financial drain on Kate's family.

Here in the states, what does it matter what Kate's background is?? But in GB, her background is of interest. Especially since she may be the mother of a king. This whole drawn out "engagemet" must be a financial drain on Kate's family.

Why must if be a financial drain? They can afford to have sent her to expensive schools and to university and to employ her in her 20s. If they couldn't afford this then they would have insisted that she work outside the family firm.

There is no engagement as yet and until there is an official announcement there won't be one so even to assume any sort of engagement at this stage is jumping the gun.

Kate Middleton's brother and get-rich-quick firm facing City inquiry | Mail Online

Kate Middleton's brother is embroiled in an investigation by the City watchdog.
The Financial Services Authority is 'conducting active inquiries' into an investment company where James Middleton, a close friend of Prince William, works.
The 23-year-old's previous commercial experience has been limited to running his own cake making company.
But the future king of England's putative brother-in-law is now a business development manager for the Essex-based company - which promises incredible profits for investors.

:previous:
An opportunity for another media de-construct...:)

A reader must reach the second-last sentence of the article to discover the nature of James Middleton's association with the company:
Mr Middleton only became involved in the company in June this year, and works on a part-time basis assisting in the development of the company.
Mr Middleton is not formally employed by Forestry for Life
...which sets him at some distance from the article's headline and opening sentence:
Kate Middleton's brother...facing City enquiry
Kate Middleton's brother is embroiled in an investigation by the City watchdog.
...whereas the truth is that James Middleton is not facing an enquiry, is not "embroiled", and is not being investigated.

There are some examples in this article which illustrate how stories can be constructed with a mixture of fact, irrelevancies, juxtaposition, half-truths and cliches:

Actions by the Financial Services Authority ("urgent forensic investigation", "formal investigation", "court order freezing Forestry for Life's assets") sound very serious but are preceded by "if...may...could" and therefore purely speculative.

The Mail considers the fact that James Midddleton "has holidayed with William and...Kate" significant. However, its placement between "going to court for an order freezing Forestry for Life's assets" and "employed by a company being scrutinised by the FSA" is an unsubtle attempt to place a fact or event within a negative context and thereby colour the event itself. Call it manipulative juxtaposition or negative framing, or just plain irrelevant.

James's claimed "appetite for self-promotion" looks to be on the lean side when stood up against the two examples provided: a two year-old interview in Hello! about his cake business and a newspaper article from early 2010 where he "spoke of his passion for baking". The statement that such "self-promotion" has "set alarm bells ringing" neglects to tell the reader with whom the bells are ringing and appears more a tired cliche making up for lack of substance.

It's also reasonable to ask why, if James has such an "appetite for self-promotion", it's taken the Mail two months to discover where's he's working.

Whatever one makes of "Kate Middleton's brother...facing City enquiry", there is one certainty:
If there is nothing untoward with the business operations of Forestry for Life, the Mail won't be presenting that news in the same manner as it has presented the current story.

Last edited:
Oh dear, didn´t the cake business work out?
By the way is he really a close friend of Prince William or is it that his sister is?

That fairy cake is absolutely out of this world. I can´t wait until next year and my birthday. Yes, you should be fine with the lion cake, being given the ability to make a lion is quite out of the ordinary.

While there are lots of anti-Middleton articles in the tabloids, especially in the Daily Mail, the Middletons have found their niche in the sugar mags, especially HELLO. They have done several HELLO exclusives, eg James for his bakery, introducing Pippa as socialite and not to forget Kate during her sisterhood project.
Needless to say that HELLO isnt getting tired of presenting the family as "hardworking" and "normal" and a perfect match for William, suggesting that a wedding is a done deal, citing "close friends" praising their attitude and mentioning their family business between the lines countless times.

They know how to influence and they have never hesitated to go for it, when they get the chance, subtile enough not to annoy the Royal House, of course. Because the masterplan is to get that ring what takes priority above everything.

You have evidence of course that the Middleton's who are running businesses ran to the press and said 'do a story on us because our daughter is Kate and she is dating the heir to the heir to the British throne.

Or

Did the press approach them?

Unless the Middleton's approached the press they aren't using the press but rather the press are using the Middletons'.

Wait until QEII is no more. Charles will have to fasten his seatbelt and he will have to say goodbye to various privileges that have only been kept so far out of respect for HM. Charles will be the first modern monarch to be openly questioned and I also believe that the anti Camilla resentment will come through again, people not wanting her to bear the title Queen, there already is a separate thread for this topic.

Agree totally - the current nearly 20% out in the general sphere republicans will grow exponentially when Charles and Camilla become the King and Queen - whether is will be enough to overthrow the monarchy who can tell.

You have evidence of course that the Middleton's who are running businesses ran to the press and said 'do a story on us because our daughter is Kate and she is dating the heir to the heir to the British throne.

Or

Did the press approach them?

Unless the Middleton's approached the press they aren't using the press but rather the press are using the Middletons'.
The press have no benefit in promoting the Middleton's business.
The Middleton's on the hand do benefit from it.

The press have no benefit in promoting the Middleton's business.
The Middleton's on the hand do benefit from it.

The press are in the business of selling themselves and nothing else. If stories about the Middleton's weren't selling then the press wouldn't be printing them. It isn't the Middleton's who are using the press but the press who have found a topic that people are prepared to pay for and thus they are using the Middletons.

Yes the Middletons are also benefitting but would the press be interested in writing about the Middletons if the press weren't making lots of money from these stories.

If their evidence of the Middletons being paid for these stories or is it the press seeking out the stories to run because the public are buying them?

I have asked for evidence of the Middletons using the press and the only comments back have been that the Middletons are benifiting but there has been no evidence of the Middleton seeking out the press to have them write stories - that would be the Middletons seeking our and using the media rather than the media using the Middletons.

All I seem to see is that people want to believe the worst of the Middletons and not put the blame where it belongs - the medias determination to make a sale to the public and write what sells.

It has already been stated the Middleton's have given exclusives to HELLO. The only thing that sells papers are engagement or wedding stories - the general public is not interested in the Middleton family or their business. And again the press do not benefit themselves from talking about the Middleton's business enterprises.

All I seem to see is that people want to believe the worst of the Middletons and not put the blame where it belongs - the medias determination to make a sale to the public and write what sells.

Of course the media wants to make sales and augment them too.
The Middletons have surely had fringe benefits from any article mentioning their daughter and Prince William, as almost every time in these articles in one way or another their online business is mentioned, by that I don´t mean the media publish their website or anything like that.
The Middletons didn´t become well off from their daughter´s fame, as the buying of a better house and moving to a better area as well as paying for expensive education for all three offspring proves, but I am sure that many people had never heard of their business before Kate met Prince William and probably or possibly , they have had increased sales, which would be a natural spin off from their company being mentioned so often.

I would certainly think that James Middletons exclusive in HELLO promoting his cake business can be seen as "The Middletons are using the press".
Its the question of hen and egg, what came first. Did HELLO approach James first, possibly. But he could have said no because of his sisters connections.

Its down to how you define "use". The Middletons benefit from the media thanks to Kate, eg who would know about James's cakes if not for HELLOs coverage and the media benefit from the Middletons because everything that has to do with Kate sells.

Its a winwin situation, they are using each other and both benefit from it :)

At a time of global economic crisis I am glad to hear that somebody is thriving in business whether in cakes or tarts!!!! sheesh!

At a time of global economic crisis I am glad to hear that somebody is thriving in business whether in cakes or tarts!!!! sheesh!

There's a huge market this time of year for places that primarily are for party supplies. Halloween (Samhain), Thanksgiving here in the States and of course Yule(Christmas) and I'm not overly familiar with the different holidays the UK has coming up such as Boxing Day etc.

Its not only cakes and tarts and ediblies but the overall theme things such as candles, tablecloths, costumes. It IS a big help for those that are planning THE perfect party and looking for a one stop shop. :whistling:

Wait until QEII is no more. Charles will have to fasten his seatbelt and he will have to say goodbye to various privileges that have only been kept so far out of respect for HM. Charles will be the first modern monarch to be openly questioned and I also believe that the anti Camilla resentment will come through again said:
I agree. Prince Charles is not seen as an affectionate (or dignified) figure that the public will want to continue paying taxes for. Camilla will definitely not be seen as an interesting or Queenly figure either. I'm afraid their reputations are beyond repair. I just hope prince William/Harry will be enough to keep the monarchy alive.

On Kate's family... Lol. They are so many non-royal families who go through "that girl/boy's family isn't good enough for my child!". However, this is not a private family. So we can act petty :innocent:

I can't believe James Middleton has a cake business. haha! that's so funny. I've always sensed an opportunist quality to the Middleton family. But, the royals have never been able to escape opportunist people in any generation it seems :ermm:

I agree. Prince Charles is not seen as an affectionate (or dignified) figure that the public will want to continue paying taxes for. Camilla will definitely not be seen as an interesting or Queenly figure either. I'm afraid their reputations are beyond repair. I just hope prince William/Harry will be enough to keep the monarchy alive.

How do you know these things are definete? And their reputations are beyong repair?
If people will not pay for Charles, then William and Harry will have nothing to save.

However, this is not a private family. So we can act petty :innocent:

This family is not private, in what way are they not?

I can't believe James Middleton has a cake business. haha! that's so funny. I've always sensed an opportunist quality to the Middleton family. But, the royals have never been able to escape opportunist people in any generation it seems :ermm:

He's making a living for himself, what is so funny about that?
I wouldn't call Prince Phillip, nor Elizabeth-Bowes-Lyons, nor Timothy Laurence, nor Peter Phillips, nor Sophie Rhys-Jones as oppurtunist people.

Yes, I am afraid that William and Harry won't have anything to save. I know Canada loves the Queen--Prince Charles and Camilla, not so much. We've been close to separating many times. I just can't picture Charles having the command and presence that it would take to make the commonwealth stay connected to Britain...

No, the Middleton's aren't private. It isn't their fault, but you can't blame people for speculating about royal relationships and if the family is good enough. It has been going on probably since the first royal marriage haha.

Exploiting a "cake business" just sounds amusing. I don't know why Prince Phillip would be opportunist? and as to the others, I don't know who they are.

Not to be totally off topic but Phillip (or at least Louis Mountbatten) was considered an opportunist because Phillip while royal had no money and no country to speak of. No one is not saying that he didn't add anything to the BRF but he definitely gained a lot. And many (including the Queen Mother) didn't appreciate that Mountbatten was extremely agressive pushing Phillip as a potential Prince Consort. Or his statement when Elizabeth and Phillip married that this was the start of the House of Mountbatten (or Windsor Mountbatten). And the same when Mountbatten tried to push his granddaughter on Charles. So yes, there were certainly claims of opportunism when Phillip married Elizabeth.

And with all due respect, whether or not there is a Commonwealth sounds like there a lot of issues that have nothing to do with Charles. I can certainly understand why Canada and Australia would prefer not to be associated with the UK but that nothing to do with Charles, and that is best discussed http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...ada-residences-governor-general-etc-7388.html and http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f44/the-monarchy-under-charles-16252-11.html.

I wouldn't categorize the others as opportunist as well. I don't think Kate's family is as well. They certainly have benefited from the exposure but I don't think they seek the media as much as people say they do. But of course everyone is entitled to their opinion. But its interesting that no specific statements and/or proof have been provided to support their claim.

Also, Elizabeth Bowles Lyon is the maiden name to the late Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother. The Bowles Lyon family has a rich history, money and land. She initially didn't want to marry George VI because of who he was. Wasn't prepared to give up her private life....if she only knew!

Peter Phillips is the son of The Princess Royal. Timothy Laurence is her second husband.

Sophie Rhys Jones is The Countess of Wessex, married to Prince Edward.

Last edited:
I don't see Kate or her family being opportunists or using the royal family for their own personal gain. If they were, their behavior and actions taken would be much different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom