The Family and Background of the Duchess of Cambridge, the Middletons 1, Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I've read she was signed up for the Italian/S. American gap year before it was announced that William had done so. Of course William and Catherine had mutual friends, so she may have known of his plans before they were publicly announced.
She initially planned to attend Edingurgh w/out a gap year, but then decided to take a gap year and rethink what college she wanted to attend ultimately opting for the smaller St. Andrews, which strikes me as a pretty normal change for an 18/19 yr. old.
I've never bought the 'she went to St. Andrews to pursue William' speculation because if that was her goal she would not have entered into the relationship with Rupert Finch her freshman year, IMO.

It was announced in August of 2000 that William would be taking a gap year before entering St. Andrews in 2001

Prince William to Attend St. Andrews - ABC News

So no it isn't impossible for Kate to have changed plans. A year in advance is in no way last minute switching universities. Deferring entrance from 2000 to 2001, it left a year for her to get into the school. It was also revealed at the same time that he would be going to South America for an educational program. No she wouldn't know which one. But signing up for a program down there would give them something in common. So sorry but there is nothing that is too much if a stretch.

Exactly everything was released after the deadlines. She had all her gapyear in place before anything was released from william. Exactly like william had to plan before he released anything. The guy from the program in chili said she couldn't have planned it. And that they got in the same residenthall was a lottery according the president from the university so also no planning on her end. And even if she did she couldn't make him fall in love with her.

But this is long ago and not really relevant anymore is it. They have been together for about 13 years now, 5 married and two kids later.

Not true, kate applied to that gap year long before she went (they even had a survival weekend), the head from that charity said that and that was before she knew william would go there because they made that public after. The acceptance at st andrews had to be before the deadline and william made his public after the deadline so kate didn't know he would go there and both ending up at the same study house was a lotery according to the president of the university. I wouldn't read the dm as much.

Not the DM! :)

A teacher at Kate's school confirmed her application to Edinburgh University for the coming year had been successful. It was subsequently turned down, but the school could not comment on as to why. She took a gap year and applied to St. Andrew's for the following year.

William's acceptance to St. Andrew's was announced a year in advance, along with it was the announcement that he was deferring for a year, taking a gap year out which would include the time spent on the programme abroad.

Last edited:
Let's get back on topic.......

I just love this family. Glad Prince George and Princess Charlotte get to spend quality time with granny Carole.

When 3-year-old Prince George and 18-month-old Princess Charlotte arrive at granny Carole Middleton’s manor house in Bucklebury, they can’t wait to see what’s new in her menagerie.

There, around a pond in the splendid garden, is a children’s paradise filled with ducks and chickens. “It looks absolutely beautiful,” a family friend tells PEOPLE in this week’s issue. “The children love to come and play.”

“I don’t think anything fazes [Kate] — she just takes everything in her stride,” says the friend. “A lot of this comes from her mum. Carole’s lovely, and she just doesn’t let anything faze her.”
Read more: Princess Kate’s Secret Weapon: Her Amazing Mom, Carole Middleton

The BRF really got lucky with Middleton's. One of the best things to happen to them in a long long time.

LaRae

Donna's sister, Fran, got married recently, and I noticed her wedding video was posted to the public on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1249276058458106

In the last 25 seconds of the video, you can see James standing next to Freya, Donna's daughter, during the bride and groom's first dance. James seems very 'in' with the Air family. And when you take into account James' recent comments about loving both Donna and Freya, and Donna's comments about having more children. I really think Donna and James are gearing up for an engagement announcement in the near future. I could be wrong but I think both Middleton siblings will marry in 2017.

Reading the obituary of the Queen's dear friend and cousin Margaret Rhodes today put the Middleton family's close proximity to the royals in another light for me.

It seems out of place these days for family-by-marriage to be allowed so much intimacy because it didn't happen with the families of the spouses in Charles' generation, and that leads to grumbling that they must be grasping/maneuvering/taking advantage. But the Queen grew up with non-royal family being allowed just as close, if not closer, to the center of the royal circle. Margaret Rhodes was related on the Bowes-Lyon side, not Windsor, but her parents' household seems to have been quite thoroughly integrated into the royal family's life. As a child, her family vacationed at Balmoral. As a young woman, Margaret lived with her cousins at Windsor, etc. Perhaps the Queen has always been more open than we realized to the idea of letting a spouse's family in.

I think the Queen Mother was always very close to her brothers and sisters even though, with the exception of David, she was so much younger than them. Therefore it would be natural that the Queen would be friendly with cousins, especially ones close to her in age, (and there was only a few months between her and Margaret Rhodes.)

With inlaws of the Queen's children though, I guess it depends which family you're referring to. Apparently Mark Phillips birth family complained that they hardly saw him after his marriage to Anne, and they certainly weren't invited to Balmoral. Nor were Major Ferguson and his wife. Apart from Jane, Diana's sister, who had a home at Balmoral as Robert Fellowes' wife, none of Diana's siblings or her parents ever had a break at Sandringham or Balmoral, even when the Wales marriage was reasonably happy early on.

Sophie's father was invited to various things including the Christmas celebrations, and there seems to have been a bit of a sea-change regarding this following Diana's death. A bit of a rethink perhaps, and the Middletons have reaped the benefit.

Things really have changed in the recent years and I'm remembering all the conversations that were had about the Middleton family attending Christmas service alongside the royal family as one example.

With knowing the closeness HM had with her mom and dad and sister, I have to believe that family was and is important to her. When it came down to the "traditional" royal family Christmas or holidays, I'm wont to believe that HM wasn't being "snobbishly" exclusive but perhaps putting a barrier between what is right and proper for the public to see and warm, intimate times with the friends and family she cares immensely about. Hence why we rarely, if ever, saw Margaret in the public celebrations such as the balcony appearances, the Christmas morning service and things like that. Those were primarily for people to see the monarch and her family. We never heard of all the times that HM popped over to cousin Margaret's home for tea after church in Windsor. That was sacrosanct times and off duty times for HM. (There's some excellent photos in The FInal Curtsey of these two ladies enjoying being with each other. These photos would never have made the papers and were kept private).

The Middletons are obviously very close to William and Kate and are as important to them as family as the Windsors are. I think it would be very much against HM's nature to want to interfere with that and demand "exclusive" domain over her grandson and his family. Perhaps had the situation been different with Mark and Anne and they lived on an estate at Sandringham and his parents visited at the holidays, things might have ended up similar to the situation with the Middletons. We'll never know.

It seems like William spent more time with his future in-laws the years he and Kate were dating than any royal had previously done. I think this was a deliberate decision on Williams part and I think it was supported by his father and the Queen. I certainly don't think the Middletons would of been willing to live on the edges of Kate's life once she married.

LaRae

I don't think it was done deliberately at all. I'd put it down more to opportunity and availability. The Middletons had an every day 9 to 5 kind of an existence with their family business and being the bosses, could make time for family anytime that they wanted to. On the other hand, William's family has daily planners that are filled very far in advance and most likely, to maybe even attend Margaret Rhodes' memorial/funeral service, something will have to be canceled and rescheduled. These are very busy people who really cannot call their time their own for the most part. Weekends at the Middletons would have been much easier to do than weekends with the Windsors.

William and Kate had the opportunity to spend family time with the Middletons much more than they would have had with Charles and Camilla or Granny. Its just the way things happened.

If they wanted too, the royals can carve out time in their schedules. I am sure Camilla takes time to do stuff with her family. The Queen went to George's first birthday party and Philip went to his second. Charles didn't go to either one. It's not like he didn't know when it was and could have told his people not to schedule anything for July 22.

I don't think Charles is very interested in toddlers, really. It would be nice if he could attend his grandchildren's birthdays though. His absence each time only feeds into the public perception, pushed by the tabloids, of his attitude towards the Middleton grandparents.

I also think that it'd be nice if Charles could make the time to attend family birthdays, perhaps a weekly "date" night with Camilla (just supposing he doesn't do that now) and all those other little things that make life so much better and meaningful. From what I know of Charles, he's a true "action man" and always on the go and doing something which is a classic sign of a workaholic. Camilla has even joked about it saying at one time she'd have to hold up a sign stating "Happy Birthday Darling" as Charles whizzed by on his way to somewhere. (I think they were in India at the time. Not exactly sure on that).

People like Charles mostly feel that they're "shirking" in what they're supposed to do when they take time off on a what would seem as a selfish whim and perhaps that's Charles' reasoning. He's got duties and responsibilities and those are first and foremost in his life. This doesn't mean that family isn't important to him, but by being who he is, he's doing what is right for himself, his family and his crown and country.

Charles being an "action man" does not mean that he doesn't have time and use that time for non-business related things. He could be whizzing by Camilla to go paint or garden. While it may somewhat more difficult to have access to the Queen and Charles versus the Middletons, and that's arguable, there are stories of the Queen spending time with her York and Wessex grandchildren and spending time with William when he was at Eton.

I agree with the comment that Charles is not a toddler person, I think the same applies to the Queen.

I do think that there are reasons why the Cambridges are closer to the Middletons than the Wales, some understandable and some that may be dysfunctional and/or indicators of family friction, but I do not believe that the lack of relationships between royal family members are due to royals being too busy or scheduled.

I think that quality time is a the main issue here. Plus, as much as the Middleton act as aristos, they certainly have a more "hands-on" routine that the royal family, and that can influence a lot with spending time with grandchildren.

When have the Middleton act as Aristos?

It is my strong view of all of them. I think the whole family, exept Mike, like the attention a lot,and I don't care if I get attacked by those who think differently.

Last edited by a moderator:
So liking attention is only something Aristos do?
So I can now call the Kardashians Aristocrat? Good to know!

I think that quality time is a the main issue here. Plus, as much as the Middleton act as aristos, they certainly have a more "hands-on" routine that the royal family, and that can influence a lot with spending time with grandchildren.

I'd like an example of when they acted as Aristos (and how do Aristos act in this day and age anyway?).

LaRae

I don't think it was done deliberately at all. I'd put it down more to opportunity and availability. The Middletons had an every day 9 to 5 kind of an existence with their family business and being the bosses, could make time for family anytime that they wanted to. On the other hand, William's family has daily planners that are filled very far in advance and most likely, to maybe even attend Margaret Rhodes' memorial/funeral service, something will have to be canceled and rescheduled. These are very busy people who really cannot call their time their own for the most part. Weekends at the Middletons would have been much easier to do than weekends with the Windsors.

William and Kate had the opportunity to spend family time with the Middletons much more than they would have had with Charles and Camilla or Granny. Its just the way things happened.

I think we are in a very odd position: we think we know the whereabouts of key members of the BRF, but the fact is that we usually only know what they want us to know. We have absolutely no idea how often they meet, or what they typically do at weekends, or where they spend most weekends.

Realistically, I have absolutely no idea if C&C meet and spend time with the children and grandchildren or not. I suspect they all spend a reasonable amount of time together, though it may not be as often as they might want to, given how far apart they all live. That said, when in London, there could be all sorts of quiet lunches and dinners at CH / KP or BP with various members of the BRF, and the press (and we) will have no idea.

As a result of this, I just don't feel qualified to comment on whether C&C should have "date nights", whether they need to spend more time with the grand children or with HM & the DoE for that matter.

I do think that there are reasons why the Cambridges are closer to the Middletons than the Wales, some understandable and some that may be dysfunctional and/or indicators of family friction, but I do not believe that the lack of relationships between royal family members are due to royals being too busy or scheduled.

I don't thank one can, with any level of conviction, say that the Cambridge's are closer to the Middleton's than the Wales'. Catherine probably, but I doubt that William is closer to the Middleton's than his own father. He may be close to them, and may enjoy spending time with them.

A lot of this is because of the narrative that the press want to spend. We are inclined to believe it as we tend to get to see pictures of the Cambridge's on holiday with the Middletons, or elsewhere usually because they are in public places. When they are with the Wales' either at Highgrove, Sandringham, Windsor or Balmoral, they are unlikely to be spotted or pictures taken.

So liking attention is only something Aristos do?
So I can now call the Kardashians Aristocrat? Good to know!

No, I meant that Carole, Pippa and James come across as entitled people, who think they are better than others just because they are linked to the royal famiy...

I'd like an example of when they acted as Aristos (and how do Aristos act in this day and age anyway?).

LaRae

Maybe I expressed myself in the wrong way: I meant that tom me (so, my opinion) they often (almost always) crave a desperate attention, and would like to get a title only because their daughter/sister, "won the lottery"...

I don't thank one can, with any level of conviction, say that the Cambridge's are closer to the Middleton's than the Wales'. Catherine probably, but I doubt that William is closer to the Middleton's than his own father. He may be close to them, and may enjoy spending time with them.

A lot of this is because of the narrative that the press want to spend. We are inclined to believe it as we tend to get to see pictures of the Cambridge's on holiday with the Middletons, or elsewhere usually because they are in public places. When they are with the Wales' either at Highgrove, Sandringham, Windsor or Balmoral, they are unlikely to be spotted or pictures taken.

Very reasonable posts. Perception of the two families are so influenced by the way they are portrayed in the media. We obviously have no other way of imagining their relationships, it is almost purely speculative. IMO, the Middleton have behaved impeccably, treading a tightrope, they put their daughter first, it seems to me, and seem to give her tremendous support and love.

No, I meant that Carole, Pippa and James come across as entitled people, who think they are better than others just because they are linked to the royal famiy...

Maybe I expressed myself in the wrong way: I meant that tom me (so, my opinion) they often (almost always) crave a desperate attention, and would like to get a title only because their daughter/sister, "won the lottery"...

You do know that the Middleton's are self made millionaires right? You do know it's Mr. And Mrs. Middleton that provided a good lifestyle for their children and sent them to the best schools. Their life has nothing to do with William.

Now, since Catherine got involved with William, the family has actually struggled to deal with the attention and walking the fine line of living their life's, but not breaking any royal eggshells. It's not an easy road to travel, but they are just doing their best to move forward in the best way possible.

Having the British media on your heels and just waiting for you to make a major mistake is not the ideal life for anyone.

You do know that the Middleton's are self made millionaires right? You do know it's Mr. And Mrs. Middleton that provided a good lifestyle for their children and sent them to the best schools. Their life has nothing to do with William.

Now, since Catherine got involved with William, the family has actually struggled to deal with the attention and walking the fine line of living their life's, but not breaking any royal eggshells. It's not an easy road to travel, but they are just doing their best to move forward in the best way possible.

Having the British media on your heels and just waiting for you to make a major mistake is not the ideal life for anyone.

I have to agree that the Middletons have behaved impeccably since their Catherine and William have been am item. I'm sure it has not been easy, but they do not appear to have made any public gaffes!

It is not Pippa's fault if they take a picture of her if she walks out of her house. James had several negative stories about his business based just on looking at the profit loss statements. With a startup initial losses are to be expected. He invited the press to explain his business after multiple negative stories.

The Middletons have not spilled any Royal secrets. Pippa said that baby George brought pleasure and fun to the whole family and James wants to be the cool uncle, which is the same thing that Harry has said.

I've not seen anything that suggests they crave attention for themselves because of Kate's position. None of the Middletons. They can't help it the media tracks everything they do.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom