The Family and Background of the Duchess of Cambridge, the Middletons 1, Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmmmh can't think of any royal bride or groom who did not work before marriage. In the new generation anyone I can think of had a job eg Masako, Letizia, Maxima, Diana ... except Kate but she's not a royal bride yet. Even in the older generation - eg Prince Philip in the navy, Queen Sofia as a nurse, Queen Silvia as an interpreter, Prince Claus as a diplomat ... this is the generation I was referring to and all had jobs before they married a royal, some of them are even royals by birth.

Well that was the point. This is the new generation of royals. You were speaking of the old values. Kate is also a candidate to marry into the BRF, not the other houses. I was speaking of their traditions for royal brides. Diana worked about as much as Kate did for Jigsaw, no more. The previous future Princesses of Wales did not work at all. As far as Prince Philip is concerned, (a) he wasn't a royal bride :rolleyes: (b) a military career has never been that far of a stretch for a male royal, especially a poor one.

I wonder what is really meant by modernizing the royals? It is such an ancient institution that only exists because it is so ancient, a blood line directly back to the first kings giving them rights, and now in modern times duties to their people, this giving them duties seems to be already modernization. They used to be able to chop off people´s heads, perhaps not as easily as it may seem in history books, as there were courts and law. Does modernization mean becoming "one" with their subjects?
The Queen already pays taxes and the civil list has been reduced considerably, there is talk that royal titles are going to be rationed..... It still startles me a bit that a Royal Prince has two children who have no titles.... If the royal family gets even more modern it seems it will be doing itself out of a job.
Parts of the Palace are open to the public, we can now view a good part of the art collection, I wonder what Queen Victoria would have thought about all this?
I am not saying I approve or disapprove, it wouldn´t matter to anyone anyway.
Perhaps I am just thinking out loud on a site dedicated to Royalty!

I agree with you on this. The more the RF is pushed to "get in touch" with the commoners, the quicker they will become commoners themselves. I'm not saying that the RF shouldn't concern themselves with the welfare of their subjects, but we shouldn't expect them to relinquish all that puts them above the average Joe.

Kate's in a different position from a lot of these other wives of heirs to the throne because I don't think any of them met their future wives while they were still at university. If a person is established in a job, like Maxima and Masako, that's rather different from trying to get into the workforce when you're already the subject of media scrutiny. Prospective employers may well not want to deal with the upheaval of having the paparazzi around all the time and also might not want to take on an employee who won't be staying around after marriage but whose presence in the meantime could be quite disruptive.

Plus, William doesn't have the reluctance some other princes have had to be seen with Kate in public, so she's out and around with him during the work week sometimes and also of course in all those nightclubs. I should think she'd be a bit of a nightmare for prospective employers what with one thing and another.

Elspeth said:
Plus, William doesn't have the reluctance some other princes have had to be seen with Kate in public, so she's out and around with him during the work week sometimes and also of course in all those nightclubs. I should think she'd be a bit of a nightmare for prospective employers what with one thing and another.

How true, it may be that William expects her to be available and so it is not entirely her fault.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now what i am about to say is my opinoin only... but i think no matter what Kate does she will be damed if she does, damed if she don't... as was Diana... If she works it will never be enough or never a good enough job, and there is always the chance of geting PR or some special treatment for being a royal girlfriend! If she does not work she is waity-kate.Which is a horrible thing in the frist place. It seems to me that all we know of this women is what the press tells us. she is not the wife of a prince or a king yet !!! So if she don't want to work who cares her parents are paying the taxes on that flat and probable everything else too, Athough they are not old money, they are new money and can well aford to pay thier daughters way....she has not asked to be anyones role model. She is just a very lucky lady or as the press Quotes her "He is a lucky man to have her" who ended up landing a prince...and one-day MAY Be a royal bride. Untill that time let her be.... She will have enough stress when and if that day every comes.

It's quite a leap from being "exposed to public scrutiny" to people wanting to know who pays for her hairdresser [see previous page]. That's not "scrutiny" but more akin to unhealthy obsession.

i wouldn't call it obsession. people, in the spotlight, made a conscious decision to be there. with all the technology today, people know far more about celebrities than ever before and, want to and will in the future, i'm sure know more. catherine may be a private citizen but she can't for a moment think that some people will not want to know personal details about her. whether it's anyone's business is a moot point because things like who her hairdresser is and how much he/she charges, among other things would be easy to find out if a person really wanted to know.

My hairdresser told me that for years he was asked to give his clients a cut like Princess Diana (impossible without her gorgeous hair he said). Nowadays the women want a Victoria Beckham hairdo, no doubt soon they will want a Kate Middleton.
I don´t think it is much different to some years ago when mothers were trying to have their little girls have curls like Shirley Temple, if someone is in the public eye there is sure to be an almost unhealthy interest in every detail of their lives and the magazines cater to that interest/obession. Wanting to know how much or who is paying for it is just part and parcel of fame.

-snipped - It would be a different story if Kate would lead a low profile life but she decided not to. You can't have it both ways in the 21st media century and no need to feel sorry for her - if she didn't like the heat she wouldn't be in the kitchen I guess.
She is not seen out at 'events' very often, most of the media intrusion has been as she has tried to live a normal life. Many girls of her age go to nightclubs at least once or twice a week, come to that I appear to go out more than she does! She hasn't chosen to be in the kitchen, in fact she doesn't appear to do anything to call the hounds down on her. :eek:

I should think poor Catherine wishes the chap she has fallen in love with was lower profile or that the laws in the UK were able to deal with the stalkers!

Zembla, the thread is "Kate Middleton: is she rich or not", not "Kate Middleton: How she spends her money". Also, all members are allowed to post in whatever thread they like as long as they observe the community rules.

I'm aware...I just thought some posts chastising people wanting to know about her expenses was over the top in a thread about her money. ;)

they are well off, sure, but i wouldnt catagorize them as rich...Im from a third world country, and middle class people send their children to universities that cost them around 12000 pounds a year (4 year degrees plus livign costs etc)...and these are people me and my family call merely well off...for people like me, I could go to any private school in england and people in my country woudl never catagorize me as "rich", but merely well off...even in my country (which doesnt have very high standards because its a 3 world country), people have 2 homes, farmhouses and a few large pieces of land and still belong to middle class. I think Kate too, belongs to the upper middle class, certainly not the upper class, no. Those peopel have trust funds worth atleast 20 million pounds. Kates networth would, in my humble opinion, be around 5 million pounds, but def under 10 million. Sorry, i meant her family's worth....dotn forget they have a flat in london where she lived with her sister (or still lives?)...btu the newspapers have reported no other property belongign to her parents...plus they drive good, practical cars...no sportys for their daughters or son...

also, i think if wiliam marries after 25, he doesnt need the permission of the government at all, am i right?

also, i think if wiliam marries after 25, he doesnt need the permission of the government at all, am i right?

No, any member of the royal family has to get the Queen's permission to marry, I believe, regardless of their age.

He still is bound by the Royal Marriages Act to seek permission of The Sovereign. If you're older than 25, you can marry without permission, but only if you declare your intention to do so to the Privy Council and wait one year. If Parliament declines to take action by passing a bill signaling opposition, you're free to marry.

Sorry cd_1 but there can be no doubt that Kate's family can only be described as rich financially. Only 10 % of the child population in the UK go to Independant [fee paying schools]. So Kate's family must be in the top 10 % of the UK population in terms of wealth. Marlborough's one of the most well known in Country. Her parent's have paid around £24000 an academic year for each of their 3 children to go there.

Compared to Boarding schools University in the UK is relatively inexpensive costing only £3100 in England (and £1500 for and English citizen [not a Scottish citizen] to go to a University in Scotland) a year. Since Kate and William started University before the 2006/7 academic year they would not have had to pay any fees, just living expenses.

I went to private schools and there were many people there who were not from wealthy families, some were on assisted places, scholarships etc. Others came from families where their parents had to make sacrifices to ensure their children went to that school.

Unless you know the Middletons personally you have no way of knowing that.

Actually I do! It was well documented in the papers that Kate's family started their company to pay for their children's education. It has been mentioned that Kate's father is a Multi-millionaire. Also it is unlikely that all three of their children all got scholarships to the same public school. The question this thread is asking is "Is Kate Middleton rich?" my point was the answer is yes. If she had received a scholarship for some exceptional talent it would have been mentioned extensively in the press.

These three articles mention her family as being millionaires.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20529253/
http://news.scotsman.com/themonarchy/Generation-whyshouldI.4176797.jp
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...family-rose-condemned-flat-verge-royalty.html

The same year, Carole and Michael launched their successful mail-order party-planning company Party Pieces.
The rise of the internet helped them make it more profitable and they could soon afford to buy a five-bedroom detached house in the village of Bucklebury, near Newbury in Berkshire, and send their children to top public school Marlborough.

Actually I do! It was well documented in the papers that Kate's family started their company to pay for their children's education. It has been mentioned that Kate's father is a Multi-millionaire. Also it is unlikely that all three of their children all got scholarships to the same public school. The question this thread is asking is "Is Kate Middleton rich?" my point was the answer is yes. If she had received a scholarship for some exceptional talent it would have been mentioned extensively in the press.
Busineeses do not become successful overnight. The family businesss is successful now and no doubt that is due to the hard work of Mr. and Mrs. Middleton. However, from what I understand it was set up in the late 80's so I think it is fair to say that while the family may be relatively wealthy now, they probably would have struggled during the earlier years of their childrens' schooling and that is hardly a negative thing.

As for the "millionaire" thing, there are many more people these days who are classed as millionaires than in previous years thanks to rising property prices etc.

I wonder if the wealth they talk of is based on the company wealth, the turnover or tax returns... It is unlikely anyone but the Middleton's would know their personal worth, which is probably vast!

Many private schools do have assisted places, scholarships etc, but very few of the top public schools. It seems very easy for anyone to 'set up' a private (independent) school - Grow your own | Education | The Guardian

I noticed a lot of the news websites copy over articles from other sources. If you ever go to Unofficial Royal News Pages which lists articles on royal families each day (well, almost everyday), you can find pieces from The Mail or The Sun reprinted almost word for word in M&C, a lot of the US news sites (including MSNBC.com or ABC.com), Newscom, Scotsman and so forth the very next day. It's almost like each of the news agents are too lazy to come up their own sources or just rely on others to check the facts.

Catherine was only 5 years old when her parents started their business. Depending on whether or not they started the company with money from Mr. Middleton's wealthy family, they might not have had to struggle very much to get their business off the ground. If he had any sort of assistance or money from relatives, they might have been able to get their business going without a lot of financial headaches and growing pains.
I did some snooping to find out what I could about Catherine's family, and I managed to find some articles and photos about Catherine's family. Her father comes from an old upper-middleclass family on both sides, and one side had quite a bit of wealth.
The Leeds connection... - Yorkshire Evening Post
Family detective - Telegraph
Chapel Allerton Focus - Chapel Allerton Today: News, Sport, Jobs, Property, Cars, Entertainments & More
Re: Kate Middleton - title of parents if she married Prince William

Here is a photo of some of Catherine's great great family members walking with Princess Mary in 1927. Catherine's great great uncle was the mayor of Leeds at the time.
Leodis - a photographic archive of Leeds - Display

A photo of Catherine's great great uncle and aunt, the Lord Mayor and Lady Mayoress of Leeds.

A photo of one of their family homes. The family had 7 mansions at one time, this home was called Menston Grange and it was purchased by the Lord Mayor's father Thomas Lupton.

A photo of Catherine's grandfather's first cousin Miss Elinor Gertrude Lupton. The photo was taken in 1943. Miss Lupton was the first female Lord Mayor of Leeds, and she lived in the family mansion called Beechwood at Roundhay.

This is a photo of Roacklands mansion on the Newton Park estate, which was owned by Francis Martineu Lupton Esq. Francis was the father of Olive Lupton, who married Noel Middleton, who was Kate's grandfather's father. Noel Middleton was a distinguished solicitor and one of the founders of the Yorkshire Symphony Orchestra. When Olive's father died, she and her sister inherited Roacklands and the Newton Park Estate.

:rolleyes: It's a guess on my part, but with that old family money in her father's background, somehow I don't think Catherine's parents were ever really poor and struggling financially.

While I adore Kate and understand why Prince William finds her lovely, I don't quite believe she is up to par financially and having the social connections that the households of HMTQ and the Prince of Wales had in mind for William. I say that knowing full well how absolutely snobby and picky the upper echelons of the British Upper Class are. All they care about at the end of the day is the bloodlines of their heirs, their horses and their dogs.

But then we live in reality and, in theory, Prince William deserves to live with love and joy in his private life. And, really, after all, if Princess Margaret married a photographer of unrestricted physical attractions, then perhaps the bar was lowered then.

I think, even more than Princess Margaret's marriage to Antony Armstrong-Jones, Prince Edward's choice of Sophie Rhys-Jones as a wife -- someone who has become beloved within the royal family -- shows that the qualities for marrying into the Windsor family have changed quite a lot since the days of Charles and Di.

Diana is widely considered to have had more royal blood than Charles himself--and we see how well that marriage turned out! Additionally, Sophie didn't exactly have social standing when she married into the family and she is a great favorite of QEII. While I am sure that many want William to marry someone who is titled with the correct blueblooded connections, it looks as if he is set to marry Kate--who is really a lovely person. Diana tried to raise William as normally as possible--he was in a public preschool, went to amusement parks, etc.. and gave him what I think is his greatest asset--the "common touch". He is able to interact and get on the level of all persons regardless of title, income, etc.. and that makes him quite appealing. Kate comes from a well to-do family and will not make any major gaffes in public (well, aside from those boots she always wears). Maxima didn't come from a titled family (she did come from a political family) and she is just a wonderful asset to the Netherlands. Crown Princess Mary's family was not especially distinguished in the way of bloodlines and such, and she is, in my opinion, the epitome of grace and elegance. Letizia isn't from a blue blooded family either (love her or hate her). It seems that now the emphasis isn't on the blue blood or titles, but on love. Let's hope it remains that way!

Just wanted to clean this up, she was born middle class thats definate no question about it.

Her mum and dad came into some money when they opened this shop I cant remember what they did but they have now quite a bit of money and she went to this boarding school non of them really associated with any member of the royals what so ever I think its more like a local to where my mum lives a school down there's a private all girls school but I cant remember the name.

She then was deciding on what University to go to at the time when she finished at baording school and chose St Andrews her family having that sort of money so it wasnt a problem and thats basically it.

The information I provided earlier shows that Catherine's father is from a wealthy uppermiddle class background that goes back to the 1700s. Maybe he used money he inherited from his family to start his business? I believe Catherine's parents are financially secure and have a thriving business with a good income, they probably clear at least several million dollars in straight profit per year. That doesn't make her rich, but it does make her financially secure and free to have choices and options.

That hedge makes it seem a semi-detached, that is divided into two houses.
The estate agent says it is charming, cosy etc etc. Well that is the way a property is described when being sold or let.
I doubt whether Kate would want it to live in though, fond memories or not, I remember not so long ago people commenting on her parents´present home and saying it was not that grand...well it is when you see this place where Party Pieces started.

I agree with you toatlly Menarue.
The middleton "manor" is very very beautiful compared the umm that shall we say.
x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom