The Family and Background of the Duchess of Cambridge, the Middletons 1, Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Carole Middleton is seen by many as the embodiment of home-counties contentment, but her brother seems to lack sympathy for commuters.
Gary Goldsmith says rail travellers moan about the latest inflation-busting fare rises, but benefit from lower house prices than in London.
“Funny that people bleat on about a three per cent rise in rail ticket pricing to get the benefit of getting more house for their pounds in the suburbs,” says the Duchess of Cambridge’s uncle.

Kate Middleton's uncle: Why rail users should stop 'bleating' about fare rises - Telegraph

The Duchess of Cambridge is recognised the world over for her beauty and it's easy to spot where she got those good looks - and great legs - from.
Her mother Carole Middleton showcased her own fashion credentials as she stepped out in a short coat and eye-catching patterned tights for a spot of shopping today at upmarket department store, Peter Jones in London.
The 58-year-old grandmother stopped traffic as she strolled down the Kings Road in Chelsea, while younger sister Pippa dressed down for her own shopping expedition just down the road.

Carole Middleton shows off her legs in racy lace tights with Pippa in Chelsea | Mail Online

Carole is indeed in great shape. I'm not a huge fan of patterned tights, but the world will not end because she wore them.

In my part of the Midwest US, we have spent the last 3 days hovering around -12 F so the only thing I thought of when I saw that photo was "Golly, she looks cold!" :lol:

actually the BRF do deals with car manufacturers - Audi cornered the market for William and Harry for years. Obviousyl the boys were cashing in on their royal connections

:)

The BRF do deals with car manufacturers (Land Rover and Audi) as they source a reasonable number, quite like any other corporate fleet.

There is nothing news worthy about this and it is awful that they just can't go about their business.

[-]Well, they must be newsworthy enough to have an 86 page thread here at TRF... ;)

If they weren't newsworthy then this thread would be much shorter.[/-]

EDIT: Just realized that you were talking about the article and not the Middletons in general. My mistake. :flowers:

Last edited:
it wont happen. They have nothing to deserve an honour. The only possibility is one of them, ie Michael, getting an OBE or MBE for charitable works but they do not have a reputation for giving millions of ££ to charity.

I can also say that the uproar would be tremendous.

EDIT: I admit that I haven't read the article as I've given up reading theDM

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, just because you don't hear or read about them giving to charities much, doesn't mean they're not doing so. Again, they may never receive a title or other honour but if they do, I for one would hope they wouldn't turn it down.

I can't speak for them but if my wife and I were grandparents to a future Monarch and parents to a future Queen Consort, a title or honour don't sound too bad and very much fitting. Just my opinions of course.

A title would be inappropriate because hereditary titles are no longer given out to non-royals and for all their pomp, the Middletons are not actually royals themselves.

I read the article and I regret it. This guy is the new Richard Kay. It's basically a rich guy who runs Reading football club, a Middleton friend, saying at a cocktail party that he checks the honors list every year for the Middleton to get something and he suggest a earldom. Then there is a bit with Hugo Vickers saying the previous grandparents of monarchs had titles, which most had already. So to sum it up, no real story.

The article did lead me to another Mail story where Jan Moir criticized William for high fiving Tinie Tempah at the Baftas where she couldn't figure why he was there and then criticized the granny joke about Helen Mirren. Then she complained about the ivory statement (ignoring this is unsourced) and boar hunting. Finally she complains that William has be more royal like the Queen.

This story so made me laugh. Jan Moir leaves the fact that William is president of the Bafta that is why he was there. Helen Mirren is known for one role around the world that is the Queen. Given the subject matter, William has probably never watched it but knows about Helen and the Queen. Why not make a joke about it. Also the Queen has been Queen since she was 25, she did have to deal with trying to royal and normal in a modern age like today. But I digress from the topic.

Ish is right on this one - hereditary titles are no longer bestowed.
Besides, if they are given any such honor, won't the backlash against the Middletons triple overnight - I think they're better off without one.

Very true though, there would be a backlash, then again, there always is a backlash when it comes to the Middletons.

A title would be inappropriate because hereditary titles are no longer given out to non-royals and for all their pomp, the Middletons are not actually royals themselves.

What pomp?

The Middletons seem quite low-key to me.
With the exception of Pippa, they are seldom in the press or at major social events.

Even if they could get a title, where are the titles for Zara Tindall and Peter Phillips? Why was Diana's mother never given a peerage - she remained the Hon. Frances Shand Kydd, a commoner. Wouldn't the same logic have applied to her as the mother of the then future queen and grandmother of the future king?

Mark Phillips turned down a title when he married Anne that is why Peter and Zara don't have titles. Diana's mother had the courtesy title of Honorable as a daughter of a baron. She was Vicountess Althrop during her marriage and after her divorce she was Hon. Frances, Vicountess Althrop. The Vicountess title was drop when she remarried.

Mark Phillips turned down a title when he married Anne that is why Peter and Zara don't have titles. Diana's mother had the courtesy title of Honorable as a daughter of a baron. She was Vicountess Althrop during her marriage and after her divorce she was Hon. Frances, Vicountess Althrop. The Vicountess title was drop when she remarried.

Frances Shand Kydd was never a peer- that's my point. The "Hon," which is only ever used in the third person and in written address is only because she was the daughter of a baron. She was not given a peerage in her own right simply because of her daughter and grandson, which is what people are calling for for the Middletons.

No one that matters is calling for that. Everybody that does not have a peerage is a commoner. Most everyone in George's immediate family is one except William and Charles plus the Queen and Philip.

If one or both of the Middletons ever does anything worthy of a gong of some sort in the Honours' list, I hope they get recognised. A title's off the cards, but an honour would be just fine if it is deserved. I have a feeling that if they are secretly doing profound good works, somehow that knowledge will become known to those who are responsible for handing out the gongs.

However I suspect they will draw some comfort from the knowledge that because of their hard work and success and example they were able to give their daughter a good education and a dedication to her studies such that she was able to secure for herself a place in a prestigious university where she was then to meet her future husband. As a result of those happy circumstances their grandson will one day be King of the UK and its Realms, and I trust that knowledge will provide the Middletons with an adequate sense of satisfaction and accomplishment.

As chance would have it, at a dinner party the other night we were discussing hereditary titles. During the last few decades there have been scant few, viz -

The Earl of Stockton (Harold Macmillan) - Conservative PM. Title currently held by his grandson.

1st Viscount Tonypandy (George Thomas) - Labour, Speaker of the House. No children.

1st Viscount Whitelaw (Willie Whitelaw) - Conservative politicians. No male heirs

Sir Dennis Thatcher - husband of Baroness Margaret Thatcher. Title held by their son, Sir Mark Thatcher.

Even if they could get a title, where are the titles for Zara Tindall and Peter Phillips? Why was Diana's mother never given a peerage - she remained the Hon. Frances Shand Kydd, a commoner. Wouldn't the same logic have applied to her as the mother of the then future queen and grandmother of the future king?
Frances Shand Kydd would have become a Countess, had she not divorced. As hereditary titles typically descend through the male, what point would there be in giving her a title, since her son Charles was already destined to be an Earl in due course. More significant, probably, was that Diana's relationship w/ the Royal family and w/ her mother was volatile at best. If many biographers are to be believed the Royal family was displeased with Diana's family for failing to disclose her emotional 'problems' prior to the marriage. In any event, Diana's sister Jane became a Baroness when her husband was granted a life peerage in 1999.
IMO, the Middletons are a very different kettle of fish, they and their daughter have been remarkably discreet and supportive of the Royal family. They have not responded to the slurs and name calling flung @ them by the press, for that alone, I would think some recognition was not out of line in due time - maybe Baron and Baroness Middleton? Not that I think they are particularly interested in such a thing.

Last edited:
It is the conundrum that has perplexed royal watchers ever since a 20-year-old Kate Middleton sashayed down the catwalk in her see-through dress and caught the eye of Prince William.
The tale of their up-and-down romance and glittering marriage are the stuff of fairy tales.
Yet there has always been one rather mysterious missing link in the story: just where did the money come from to pay for Kate’s private education and a life surrounded by the children of the rich?

The family tragedy that helped the Middletons make their millions | Mail Online

The way that horse is eyeballing Pippa's hat, it looks like it wants to either wear it or eat it! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom