The Family and Background of the Duchess of Cambridge, the Middletons 1, Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: So the Middleton's finally met the Quenn. Funny enough those so called Royal reporters that once said The Queen was schocked by Carole' behaviour won't acknowledge the mistake. I didn't need to go further for more examples.

One day befor their private meeting, take a look what a newspaper printed :

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Why hasn't the Queen met Kate's mum?

So... For those that believe everyting papers say. I suggest waiting for 1 extra day. They will contradict themself soon enough :)

When it was reported the Queen was shocked by Carole's behaviour, did they say they'd met? Because I remember one article once about everyone being shocked and upset Carole was chewing gum at an event, was that what they mean?

If you looked at every individual who has married into the royal family at least in modern times, they place their family crest next to their husband's and that becomes their royal coat of arms. Besides that fact anyone can get a coat of arms if they qualify. It doesn't bother me that the Middletons have a family crest. They created one and now get to pass it to other generations through James. It's pretty cool if you ask me. Why can't they have one? Why shouldn't they use one? It's not only meant for royals. Or aristocracy for that matter.

I read previously on this forum by those in the know that Kate's father had to be the one to apply. Kate could not do so on her own. In future generations, the arms may only pass through her brother. It's one of those male chauvinistic traditions. :p

I'm pretty sure individuals can apply for coats of arms in their own names - I think some surprise has been implied in articles because Papa Middleton has applied for one, rather than Catherine alone. This means that the coat of arms may be used by other family members. Pippa Middleton is able to use it for as long as she is unmarried.

Only James is allowed to use it in a shield form - only men are allowed to use the shield formation. Women have to use 'lozenges' - that rather fancy shape in the article illustrations. This is less to do with male chauvinism but more to do with regulatory constraints within heraldry.

When it was reported the Queen was shocked by Carole's behaviour, did they say they'd met? Because I remember one article once about everyone being shocked and upset Carole was chewing gum at an event, was that what they mean?

At the time it was reported (Incorrectly it seems) that in addition to the chewing of the nicotine gum (as Carole was trying to wean herself off smoking) that she offended the Queen by using the word toilet or lavatory (whatever term that is not used by the upper classes). So the question is....in what context or planet would Carole reference the bathroom in discussion with the Queen.

Either way, it appears that until today they have never met.

oh yes! The nicotine gum was one bit of the story. Is hard to find it online but I remember reading The Queen was horrified after Mrs Middleton used words such as "toilet" and "pardon".

we should have a rumor vs truth thread, where we should list all the rumors that were later proved to be untrue (or true) along with the evidence! it would give such a better picture of their relationship!

it will be hilarious if we all end up in the rumor's threat >.<

Must be the new austerity

"Michael and Carole Middleton were ushered into Windsor Castle shortly after midday for a light lunch. They sipped tea and ate sandwiches, staying for at least an hour."

What? No meat and two veg?

"Is it true, Your Majesty, that--as your former daughter-in-law Sarah said--the toilets in Buck House have pull cords?":lol:

So the question is....in what context or planet would Carole reference the bathroom in discussion with the Queen.

How quick the worm turns. Just yesterday this same newspaper was implying that the Middletons were being snubbed by the Queen. Now its joy! Joy I say:lol:

-------------------------------

THE Queen and Prince Philip had lunch with Kate Middleton’s parents yesterday and then broke with tradition by announcing the historic meeting.

Michael and Carole ­Middleton were invited to Windsor Castle to meet the monarch for the first time – to break the ice ahead of next week’s Royal Wedding.
They spent an hour and a half at a convivial lunch with the Queen and Philip and senior members of the Royal Household.

Read more: Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Kate Middleton’s joy as her parents finally meet the Queen

^ her parents weren't supposed to say anything at all?

If you looked at every individual who has married into the royal family at least in modern times, they place their family crest next to their husband's and that becomes their royal coat of arms. Besides that fact anyone can get a coat of arms if they qualify. It doesn't bother me that the Middletons have a family crest. They created one and now get to pass it to other generations through James. It's pretty cool if you ask me. Why can't they have one? Why shouldn't they use one? It's not only meant for royals. Or aristocracy for that matter.

It amazes me; in other European monarchies it's not practized; the relatives of "a royal by marriage" who doesn't come from nobility remain commoners.

^ her parents weren't supposed to say anything at all?

Not sure what you mean by her parents were supposed to say anything.
Since Buckingham Palace announced the lunch, they really didn't need to say anthing.

My sarcastic reply about joy was in reference to the Express and how fast they "spun" their story around without acknowledging that perhaps they were in error for reporting so quickly (and without substance) that the Middleton's were being snubbed.

it says in the article that her parents broke with royal protocol and revealed that they had met the queen. So I was just wondering if they were't supposed to say they met her? What is expected, in such a scenario?
I should have made clear that I was just referring to the article, not your reply:)

ugh, i just realized the article meant that the palace broke with protocol, not the Middletons!
I feel really silly now:(

No worries.:flowers:

The article implies (to me at least) that the Queen and the DoE broke with tradition in announcing that they had lunched with the Middletons. Not the other way around. Probably in an effort IMO to put an end to some of the more ridiculous stories.

What is meant by "senior members of the Royal household" ... they did not say "family". Who are the "senior members of the household"? And along the same lines, we are always reading about "the courtiers" (usually being unhappy about something), WHO are these people as well? They seem to carry a lot of influence but seem faceless.

Just curious .......

:previous: Master of the Household, Deputy Master, Private Secretary, Ladies in Waiting etc...

Last edited:
Thank you, I wondered about that. I wonder though, why a private secretary, or master of the household etc., would be invited to a luncheon of that kind. It seems rather strange as these people, to me, seem to be the "business types" and I wonder why they would be chosen to be included other than for the purpose of filling chairs. It seems rather an impersonal choice, IMO.

Well it may be odd to us but perhaps they are used to it.

The Queen is going to discuss particulars about the wedding if the private secretaries were involved in helping with the event. She probably knows the basics. Based on The Queen and other movies I have seen about royals, the people in the household know A LOT about whats going on in the real world and are trusted employees. Perhaps they are educating or discussing certain things with the Middleton's. I wouldn't imagine the Queen would be doing that.

What is meant by "senior members of the Royal household" ... they did not say "family". Who are the "senior members of the household"? And along the same lines, we are always reading about "the courtiers" (usually being unhappy about something), WHO are these people as well? They seem to carry a lot of influence but seem faceless.

Just curious .......
These are the people who run the Monarchy. They are generally from the aristocracy, civil and or armed services. Sometimes they are even friends of the Royal Family, as was the case with Patrick Plunket. He grew up with the Queen and she considered him to be like a brother. In adult life he had a senior posting in the Palace, I can't remember what it was, but I remember he was very good at planning state banquets and such. Sadly he passed away from cancer in 1975. The Queen built a small bench in Windsor Great Park, where they use to sit, as a memorial.
Palace courtiers tend to be made of stern stuff, the made life hell for Diana and Sarah. Robert Fellows, the Queen's private secretary (top post in the palace) was Diana's brother in law! Sarah (fergie) referred to the Palace Courtiers as "the gray men".:ohmy:

Last edited:
How odd...did I read the article right in that Kate's (I assume 3) dresses cost $20,000 and Pippa's $30,000. I hope I'm just tired.

KittyAtlanta said:
How odd...did I read the article right in that Kate's (I assume 3) dresses cost $20,000 and Pippa's $30,000. I hope I'm just tired.

You're just tired :) flip that! and truthfully I still doubt the three dress thing, my bet is there are only 2, one for wedding/formal reception and one for that night

Last edited:
These are the people who run the Monarchy. They are generally from the aristocracy, civil and or armed services. Sometimes they are even friends of the Royal Family, as was the case with Patrick Plunket. He grew up with the Queen and she considered him to be like a brother. In adult life he had a senior posting in the Palace, I can't remember what it was, but I remember he was very good at planning state banquets and such. Sadly he passed away from cancer in 1982 (?). The Queen built a small bench in Windsor Great Park, where they use to sit, as a memorial.
Palace courtiers tend to be made of stern stuff, the made life hell for Diana and Sarah. Robert Fellows, the Queen's private secretary (top post in the palace) was Diana's brother in law! Sarah (fergie) referred to the Palace Courtiers as "the gray men".:ohmy:

Yes, I recall the "gray men" term. They sound like a nice bunch (sarcasm). So they "run" the monarchy"? It will be interesting to see who does the running in the future when QEII is gone. Sounds like the "monarchy" has no freedom. I would assume that when Charles is King we will get to see Nicholas Soames throwing his copius weight around.:)

Thank you, I wondered about that. I wonder though, why a private secretary, or master of the household etc., would be invited to a luncheon of that kind. It seems rather strange as these people, to me, seem to be the "business types" and I wonder why they would be chosen to be included other than for the purpose of filling chairs. It seems rather an impersonal choice, IMO.

Not necessarily. These people are the mechanics which turn the wheels of the monarchy on a daily basis. They hold preeminent positions within the Royal Household and are in contact with the monarch and her family every day. Notable that they are either aristocrats themselves, or are high ranking civil and military service personnel so although they are employed by the Queen, they are quite worthy of a chair at lunch when required ;)

The Middleton's may not be a part of the family, per say, but it's natural they should be expected to familiarise with notable members of the Household. They are, afterall, the parents of a future Queen of England, respectively.

Last edited:
As an American, considering "Coats of Arms," I must say that women can use a shield if they wish - and no one cares if anything is official!

It's cool that England has official coats of arms (yes, we're a bit jealous), but on the other hand, it's also cool that we Americans feel inspired to design our own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom