The Duchess of Cambridge Charities and Patronages 1: 2011- Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She never stays for more than 1 hour when she visits a charity. And since when HG is an excuse for women to stop working? Pregnant women do not get 3 months off work for HG, (yes in February when she´s back it will be 3 months), and you can hardly call what she does work. So make all the excuses you want for her. I have the right to believe the palace has made a statement that she visits her charities in "private" because all this situation is getting a bit ridiculous and the criticism is increasing. Not twits about her private visits but a lot on her shoppings.

I'd say HG is more than just an "excuse" for a woman to stop working. It's a condition that has serious consequences if not treated. And yes, many women have taken time off work due to HG. Some have even had to take the entire pregnancy off due to it.

I know times may vary depending on the event, but I was under the impression that royals usually spend about 1.5-2 hours at each engagement. Whatever the case, she and her doctor obviously felt that she wasn't physically ready to take on public duties until February.

Also, correct me if I am wrong but there have been 3 to 5 (maybe 10 max) sightings of Catherine since her illness was announced. That hardly qualifies as shopping all the time and just lazing around and not doing any duties.
Yep, I pointed that out too. There haven't been many sightings of her until recently.

Last edited:
I'd say HG is more than just an "excuse" for a woman to stop working. It's a condition that has serious consequences if not treated. And yes, many women have taken time off work due to HG. Some have even had to take the entire pregnancy off due to it.

I know times may vary depending on the event, but I was under the impression that royals usually spend about 1.5-2 hours at each engagement. Whatever the case, she and her doctor obviously felt that she wasn't physically ready to take on public duties until February.

Yep, I pointed that out too. There haven't been many sightings of her until recently.

I think Charles and Camilla did a visit to the Tube today in support of the 150 Anniversary of the transit system, I think the event was about an hour. So...Catherine isn't starting something new.

I think we also have to remember that members of the royal family do a great deal of things behind the scenes. They are always busy with meetings and with their aides arranging their official diaries. So just because you may not see them on public engagements does not mean they are just laying about and being lazy.

I'm also sure more charity announcements will be coming. Also, the Cambridges work around their military life.

^That's true.

Thanks for the info, Zonk. :)

She was spotted this weekend and this at a gas station, at the gap looking for maternity pants, a sandwich shop and a drugstore. And people are acting like she's been out and about 24/7 'window' shopping at the mall

Last edited by a moderator:
We all know that there are some people who are constantly on the alert for anything they can criticize regarding the Duchess of Cambridge. It is really nothing new, in fact .... it is very, very, very old.!

...And since when HG is an excuse for women to stop working?
I hope you never have HG that affects you as it does many women around the world. Also, has "criticism" been increasing? What sources can you cite of criticism?

3 months? It's been like 8 weeks since she announce her pregnancy

I hope you never have HG that affects you as it does many women around the world. Also, has "criticism" been increasing? What sources can you cite of criticism?

I always found the theory of HG very suspicious for a number of reason, may I?
What if you bother to read the British press and comments by the people as I do and check for yourself that the comments at not at all what they used to be? Why do I always have to provide for links? I certainly do not find a dose of reality in this forum.

I always found the theory of HG very suspicious for a number of reason, may I?
What if you bother to read the British press and comments by the people as I do and check for yourself that the comments at not at all what they used to be? Why do I always have to provide for links? I certainly do not find a dose of reality in this forum.

If you're relying on forums commentary to get an accurate view of the public perception, you're playing a fool's game. It's fairly well known that people are much more likely to take the time to comment on news sites when they have something negative to say. Also, as someone who does some work for a news site- I believe something like 4% of the people who read the stories take the time to comment.

And you can doubt all you want that she's ill, but the fact is that she was forced into the hospital by extreme nausea, and had to announce her pregnancy much earlier than she would have liked. If you don't at least understand why the Duke and Duchess would have avoided the hospital had it been at all possible, I don't know what to tell you.

Although I would suggest... it's unhealthy to constantly dwell on negative thoughts and feelings about others.

Just a thought, maybe she, William, her doctors & the royal family wants to wait until she is 4 months pregnant before she takes on more duties.

Maybe it's a high risk pregnancy. Maybe in addition to HG, she has diabetes or high blood pressure. Maybe she previously miscarried during the early weeks.

The press release stated she had HG but she could have other undisclosed problems with the pregnancy/her health.

She isn't under house arrest.

She's pregnant. She needs maternity clothes. She still needs to eat & put gas in her car. She is performing normal routine chores.

Her doctors might want her to limit her activities and the easiest way is to limit her royal duties.

I think it's best to leave Catherine alone and stop criticizing her.

Enough with the speculative discussion regarding Catherine's health, if you have that her health was not as serious as reported, than yes you need to provide proof to support your statements. Otherwise you are speculating.

If that's a problem, please contact me via Private Message. Any and all posts that disregard my posts, will be deleted without notice.

Likewise, any discussion regarding the Cambridge pregnancy should be discussed in the appropriate thread,
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f269/the-duchess-of-cambridge-is-pregnant-34096-48.html .

Let's try to stay on topic...Catherine's Charities and Patronages.

Last edited:
Richard Palmer‏@RoyalReporter
We expect an announcement on new patronages soon but royal sources say her first engagements will be existing charities.

Richard Palmer‏@RoyalReporter
I'm not expecting to see much of William at all because he wants to up his flying hours. Think Kate will be back to around that.

Last edited:
Catherine is right now doing the only job she is "required" to do and that is to produce an heir. I actually hope she limits her outside work during these early years and really focuses on raising children. She has the luxury of doing so, and I hope she takes advantage of it. (Millions of women around the world do so without an eyebrow raised.) I applaud the royals in general for taking on charitable work, but I think the notion of using such involvement as a yardstick for worthiness, work ethic and/or general suitability to be royal is misplaced.

She's not required to produce an heir, she doesn't sign a contract to that affect. It is 'hoped for' that they will produce a child and Catherine will carry the future heir. Takes two to tango remember.

--------------------

I have unknowingly been working alongside someone who suffered from HG over Christmas, she was in hospital for longer than Catherine and yet came straight back to work and back to university the day after she was discharged. Yes she's suffering/suffered from HG, and she's supposedly not needed. But come on, the minute Henry returns from Afghanistan he's called straight back to "covering" for his brother and sister in law.

...the minute Henry returns from Afghanistan he's called straight back to "covering" for his brother and sister in law.[/QUOTE] I don't understand this bit - have I missed an announcement, or something?

Does Britain have a Freedom of Information Act? If so The Daily Mail could put in a request for all of her time sheets to see how much she's doing....:whistling:

P.S. That's a joke. Don't flip out.

To Cepe - I can't quote your post at the minute. When Henry returned SKY news and BBC reporters both, in their interviews with him and talking to their respective studios both said he will have go come back and cover (that exact word) for his brother and sister in law when the baby arrives and with William at work.

Catherine is right now doing the only job she is "required" to do and that is to produce an heir....
Sorry but in which century do we live? That was long time ago when the women's role in the royalty was to produce heirs, that was the time when the the king had powers and ruled the country. As I hope you know, that was long time ago, centuries ago in fact.
Since the monarch has no power anymore, the role of the royal family is a bit different, they are suppose to help the country in many ways, representing it abroad and supporting charities at home. I see nothing misplaced in it... afterall, why would they be worth if they did nothing of this? Why would be worth to have an heir if then he/she would serve for nothing??

As to stop work to raise children... She doesn't need to stop to work to raise children, she can perfectly do both at the same time, many royals do and they work much more than Kate.

To Cepe - I can't quote your post at the minute. When Henry returned SKY news and BBC reporters both, in their interviews with him and talking to their respective studios both said he will have go come back and cover (that exact word) for his brother and sister in law when the baby arrives and with William at work.

Crikey! I expect he's at home right now swotting up on the National Portrait Gallery!

...She doesn't need to stop to work to raise children, she can perfectly do both at the same time, many royals do and they work much more than Kate.
My take on this is very simple - she is a part-time royal; the other examples (say MAxima and Matilde) are full time. For info, their public diairies show that their workload for February is Maxima 1 event and MAtilde 2

She has been ill, she is recovering and I think that it is great that she is going to be out and about again. Hopefully she can make trips to EACH and to Action on Addiction. Perhaps Liverpool again for the latter, then she might be able to pop into Wales and see William.

I am quite sure that Catherine is doing EXACTLY what the Queen, Doctor and her husband want her to do at this time. And really,they are the ONLY people that have a proper say in the matter.

... have unknowingly been working alongside someone who suffered from HG over Christmas, she was in hospital for longer than Catherine and yet came straight back to work and back to university the day after she was discharged. Yes she's suffering/suffered from HG, and she's supposedly not needed. But come on, the minute Henry returns from Afghanistan he's called straight back to "covering" for his brother and sister in law.
How soon someone with HG returns to work/regular activities depends on a number of things. I imagine Kate and her doctor know what is best for her situation.

Is Harry being forced to cover for them, or is it something he wants to do? In one of the recent interviews, he said he seriously hopes that the media leaves Catherine alone so that she can enjoy some privacy, and time as a mother/mother-to-be. So stepping in for Kate just might be something he really wants (and volunteered) to do.

Anyway, one of the royal reporters said that Catherine will be announcing her new charities very soon, and she's expected to be doing around 2 engagements a month.

[/B] ...she is a part-time royal; the other examples (say MAxima and Matilde) are full time.
Scroll down to see how many engagements Mathilde has had per year (par année on the right side) De Belgische Monarchie: Home - Archief - Archief - Archief - Archief She has never down than 90 engagements per year. Catherine did over 100 engagements has a part time royal last year.

Even has a part time royal she does more or less the same as those other crown princess.
Aren't most of the BRF coming out of their Christmas/Winter hiatus (in February)?

[/B]

My take on this is very simple - she is a part-time royal; the other examples (say MAxima and Matilde) are full time. For info, their public diairies show that their workload for February is Maxima 1 event and MAtilde 2

Sure, I don't expect her to do the same amount of engagements the crown princesses do. I was just using the example to say that it is possible to work and raise children at the same time. so the idea that windsor girl expressed of
I actually hope she limits her outside work during these early years and really focuses on raising children
sounds a bit fool to me

Not every women is the same, not every pregnancy is the same. People don't react to a disease the same way. I don't get the point of "my friend has the same disorder and she's fine so so and so should be too" comments

Some women don't go back to work when they have HG throughout their pregnancy. For others, they are okay after their 1st trimester. Just because you know someone that has it doesn't make you an expert

Probably the wrong thread, but I don't think we will see much of Kate until well after the baby is born.

Think of all she has been through in the last few months - the photos from France, the HG is bad enough, but then the DJ's and that poor nurse, then the unveiling of the portrait. Seems that there's so much hysteria surrounding her that everything becomes some sort of mammoth calamity, and none of it her doing.

Think about going through all that and then being pregnant and knowing you're carrying The Child... The Heir to end all Heirs.

That's too much for anyone, let alone someone pregnant. I think she's home meditating, personally, and I don't think I'd be doing anything different.

Sure, I don't expect her to do the same amount of engagements the crown princesses do. I was just using the example to say that it is possible to work and raise children at the same time.
It's always interesting to read discussions about the number of engagements that royals do. I never know what counts as enough engagements (especially when dealing with a part-time royal). Do we compare the number of engagements that they do, to members of their own family? Or do we compare them to other royals?

As for other crown princesses doing more, I believe Letizia did 183 engagements last year (Kate did 111), yet I don't hear a lot of people calling her lazy or whatever.

Last edited:
I am quite sure that Catherine is doing EXACTLY what the Queen, Doctor and her husband want her to do at this time.
"Want her to do?" I'm sure Catherine takes advice from The Queen and her doctor on health matters etc, but I'm pretty sure she does what she wants.
Seems that there's so much hysteria surrounding her that everything becomes some sort of mammoth calamity, and none of it her doing. Think about going through all that and then being pregnant and knowing you're carrying The Child... The Heir to end all Heirs.
If she expected anything less than hysteria she was kidding herself.
Heir to end all heirs? Did I miss something?

...I believe Letizia did 183 engagements last year (Kate did 111), yet I don't hear a lot of people calling her lazy or whatever.
According to the Belgium monarchy website Mathilde did 89 engagements last year. And all I ever year is how hard working Mathilde and the other crown princesses are and how Kate should take note from them.

I don't know what counts as enough engagements for people either. I think it depends on the princess people are talking about. Some of them (Kate) can't win

Scroll down to see how many engagements Mathilde has had per year...
So we're in agreement - thank you for the more detailed info. :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom