The Duchess of Cambridge Charities and Patronages 1: 2011- Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The photographs are very moving, and the bts photographs show how genuine the connection was between the subjects and their families and the Duchess. It's a wonderful initiative.

Also, for those of you who want to get a "behind the scenes" look, there's this blog post:
https://blogs.timesofisrael.com/the...portraits-and-what-they-mean-for-remembrance/

It talks about the idea for the photographs, preparation and Catherine's personal involvement in the project - it seems she devoted a lot of her time to make sure it would be done right.

This is wonderful. It really shows all the time and effort that goes into their projects.

Her pictures are lovely and a great way to use her photographic skills.

Reactions: Fem
Also, for those of you who want to get a "behind the scenes" look, there's this blog post:
https://blogs.timesofisrael.com/the...portraits-and-what-they-mean-for-remembrance/

It talks about the idea for the photographs, preparation and Catherine's personal involvement in the project - it seems she devoted a lot of her time to make sure it would be done right.

This the "right stuff" that makes what the royal family does so intensive and so poignant that it can't help but reach even the coldest of hearts. As much as this is a exceptional example of Catherine's photography skills and an eye for making it meaningful, it also shows the depth of dedication and preparation and detail that went into the photograph before it was taken.

I seriously had to identify with Catherine too on the mention of the book "The Diary of Ann Frank". I read it quite a few times as a child and as a younger teen and it has made a lasting impact on me.

The photos from Catherine are incredibly well taken; she's a very versatile photographer. We normally see natural landscape photos she has taken or candid photos of the children, though she is equally talented at moving concepts such as this.

The photos are beautiful and incredibly well done but the behind the scenes shots really are just as beautiful because they show how deeply personal this really was for her. This is precisely what the world needed to see from the Royal Family right now and she absolutely could not have done it any better. I do hope we get to see much more of her photography in the coming years. It's clear that she enjoys it very much and she's very talented but the work and commitment that went into all of this really shows just how seriously she takes her role. I realize that we've seen lots of pictures of the children taken by Catherine and even some lovely pictures taken by her during their tour of the rain forest and maybe even another tour but these really took it to a whole other emotional level that not all photographers are able to grasp. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that there are various projects offered to her now that the real depth of her talent has been put on show.

Today, the Duchess of Cambridge is launching Hold Still in collaboration with her patronage, the National Portrait Gallery. To mark the launch, she gave an interview via video call which will be broadcast tomorrow, May 7, on the British daytime program This Morning.

From People
https://people.com/royals/kate-midd...-portraits-that-capture-coronavirus-pandemic/
In collaboration with the National Portrait Gallery, the royal mom of three is inviting people from all over the U.K. to submit a photographic portrait that they have taken during these extraordinary times. Participants are also encouraged to provide a short written submission to outline the experiences and emotions of those depicted in their photograph.

The most poignant portraits will be selected for an exhibit called, "Hold Still," which will be shown in a virtual exhibition in early summer.

“We’ve all been struck by some of the incredible images we’ve seen which have given us an insight into the experiences and stories of people across the country,” Kate says in a statement. “Some desperately sad images showing the human tragedy of this pandemic and other uplifting pictures showing people coming together to support those more vulnerable.”

“'Hold Still' aims to capture a portrait of the nation, the spirit of the nation, what everyone is going through at this time. Photographs reflecting resilience, bravery, kindness – all those things that people are experiencing.”

The Mirror
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-ne...r.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar
The project will focus on three core themes: Helpers and Heroes; Your New Normal; and Acts of Kindness.

(...)

Kate’s choices include a heartbreaking shot of intensive care nurse Aimee Gould’s face covered in red marks from PPE after a 13-hour shift treating sick patients at Doncaster and Bassetlaw Teaching Hospital.

Aimee, who shared the selfie online, wrote: “This is the face going through hell. This is the face full of pressure damage from wearing PPE for almost 13 hours a day. This is the face of someone who hasn’t seen their own family for nearly a month.

“This is the face of someone who holds your dying family member’s hand, so they’re never alone.”

Another snap shows Ray and Theresa Cossey, both 81, in lockdown in Norfolk and their great-grandchildren Florence, three, and Edith, one, trying to touch them through glass.

A very pertinent project! As the patron of true NPG I think it’s fitting she got involved in creating this exhibit. These are important times which must be captured for posterity.

A very pertinent project! As the patron of true NPG I think it’s fitting she got involved in creating this exhibit. These are important times which must be captured for posterity.

I agree, it really seems a great confluence of her duty as Royal Patron and her own interests as an amateur photographer.

Waoh! I imagine a huge exhibit after corona ends. I would love to see this moment of history and what other people have experienced during this crazy time.

Does anybody have a link to the full interview on This Morning? Thank you.

Link to the interview:

It's sweet that she gave snippets of what're George, Charlotte, and Louis doing.

Last edited:
Court Circular 11th May:
Kensington Palace

The Duchess of Cambridge and The Countess of Wessex this afternoon held conference calls with nurses from around the Commonwealth in advance of International Nurses Day on 12th May.

The Duchess of Cambridge, Patron, Evelina London Children's Hospital, and The Countess of Wessex later talked to nurses from the Hospital in London.

Court Circular 17th June:
Kensington Palace

The Duchess of Cambridge, Patron, Family Action, this afternoon held a Meeting with Mr. David Holmes (Chief Executive) and other members of the organisation via video link.

Lovely thing for Catherine to do, especially as a patron of Evelina. They're a fantastic organisation and I speak from personal experience as I was once one of the patients there.

The Duchess of Cambridge and a panel of judges have selected the final 100 images for her Hold Still photography project.
The images, chosen from 31,598 entries, will feature in a digital exhibition from the 14th September.

https://www.hellomagazine.com/royal...helmed-final-images-hold-still-photo-project/

I can't wait to see the 100 winners' entries!!! ?

It will take a while and a lot of effort to narrow 31,598 to 100. ;)

Link to Hold Still Digital Exhibition:
https://www.npg.org.uk/hold-still/hold-still-gallery/

(If you go through individual photo, you'll find short story behind each of them.)

Few glimpses from Vogue:
https://www.vogue.co.uk/arts-and-lifestyle/gallery/hold-still-exhibition
Prepare To Ugly Cry At The Duchess Of Cambridge’s Virtual ‘Hold Still’ Exhibition
BY HAYLEY MAITLAND
14 SEPTEMBER 2020

After months of anticipation (and 31,000 submissions from the British public), the Duchess of Cambridge’s final selection of images for Hold Still is available to view on the National Portrait Gallery’s website. Designed to “capture and document the spirit, the mood, the hopes, the fears and the feelings of the nation” during lockdown, the project brings together 100 moving amateur shots of everything from at-home haircuts to make-shift classrooms; exhausted NHS staffers on duty to dedicated postmen in superhero costumes; pensioners FaceTiming with their grandchildren to mothers cradling their newborn babies. Good luck making it past the first portrait without shedding a few tears.
(...)

Review in Telegraph:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/photogr...al-portrait-gallery-heart-wrenching-accounts/
Hold Still, National Portrait Gallery: heart-wrenching accounts of ordinary lives in the time of Covid
4/5
This new photographic exhibition - conceived by the Duchess of Cambridge - bring back very raw memories of a difficult six months
By Alastair Sooke, CHIEF ART CRITIC
14 September 2020 • 12:01am

Brace yourself. Grab some tissues. Because today the National Portrait Gallery launches Hold Still, an online exhibition featuring 100 photographs taken by ordinary people during lockdown.

(...)

While works by professional photographers did make the final cut (frankly, they stand out), this isn’t a conventional fine-art exhibition. Indeed, dozens of images are – in a technical sense – weak or flawed. Few, though, are forgettable. The judges weren’t bothered about aesthetic issues such as composition or lighting. Instead, they wanted emotion – often heart-wrenching, sometimes uplifting – and a sense of real lives being experienced by real people.

(...)

Is there a single image that sums up Britain’s lockdown in the way that, say, documentary photographs by Walker Evans and Dorothea Lange captured the Great Depression? I’m not sure there is – in part, because lockdown, initially understood as a great leveller, turned out to affect people in profoundly different, and unequal, ways. Consider the myriad characters we encounter in Hold Still. A bright-eyed girl claps enthusiastically on a Thursday night. An exhausted nightshift worker in Wales seems on the brink of collapse. What do they have in common with the 17-year-old twins afflicted with ennui, trapped behind a window’s mottled glass?

That said, there is one image I can’t shake which hints at universality: Hayley Evans's Forever Holding Hands shows a close-up of the interlaced hands of an elderly couple, married for more than seven decades, clutching each other tight from adjoining hospital beds. Here is devotion – and solace: after contracting the virus, they died five days apart. It’s a simple thing, touch – but a primal one, too, denied in recent months. “What will survive of us is love,” wrote Larkin, at the end of “An Arundel Tomb”. I so hope he’s right.

I am crying reading about it, I don't know if I could cope with looking at it.

What a historic project! I cried so much looking at pictures and reading such inspiring stories!!

Great work Duchess of Cambridge! This is truly a remarkable idea!

There's a saying I like that goes "In order to see a rainbow, you have to stand a little rain". To me, this exhibit marks for posterity the rainbows that people found during this Covid-19 pandemic. Behind each photo was an example of love for one another and the power of love to help coping when the world has turned upside down.

Brilliantly done!

Great pictures, albeit sad times; they all have a story to tell.

It's a moving, poignant and incredibly important exhibition. Well done to everyone.

It's a great collection of photographs covering a wide range of the public, which is important historically and artistically. I think the support from the Queen is significant for the project and also for Catherine herself.

https://etcanada.com/news/690588/ka...in-preview-of-hold-still-photography-exhibit/

nothing wrong with choosing this photo as a tribute to BLM movement. Predictably, comment section of a certain tabloide is dragging her for that.:whistling:

And it's only one photo (or possibly 2) out of 100 and these photos were chosen by other panellists as well.

The Duchess of Cambridge is not actively promoting or directly speaking in support of BLM movement.

There are two photos of couples celebrating V.E. or V.J. day outside their homes with flags of Union Jack.

P.s. This is coming from someone with right-leaning views :cool:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom