The Duchess of Cambridge Charities and Patronages 1: 2011- Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JessRulz

Former Administrator
City
Melbourne
Country
Australia
UKCambridgeDuchess300x215-1.png

Arms of HRH The Duchess of Cambridge

The Duchess of Cambridge's
Charities and Patronages

This thread covers the following:
Patron of 100 Women in Finance
Announced January 2013
Official Website

Patron of Action for Children
Announced December 20, 2016
Official Website

Patron of Evelina London Children’s Hospital
Announced December 11, 2018
Official Website

Royal Patron of Family Action
Announced December 3, 2019
Official Website

Patron of the Foundling Museum
Announced March 19, 2019
Official Website

Patron of the Natural History Museum
Announced April 18, 2013
Official Website

Patron of the Nursing Now Campaign
Announced February 27, 2018
Official Website

Patron of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
Announced February 27, 2018
Official Website

Patron of the Royal Photographic Society
Announced June 25, 2019
Official Website

Patron of The Victoria and Albert Museum
Announced March 26, 2018
Official Website

Honorary Air Commandant of The Air Cadet Organisation
Announced December 16, 2015
Official Website

Volunteer with The Scouts
Announced January 5, 2012
Official Website

Last edited:
The Duchess of Cambridge Charities and Patronages

The Birmingham Daily Mail jumped the embargo gun and published a list of the Duchess of Cambridge's charities. There was quite a stir about it on twitter because the information was supposed to be embargoed until tomorrow.

Duchess of Cambridge Kate becomes patron of charities - and scout volunteer
Birmingham Mail - ‎‎
Kate has accepted honorary positions with a range of charities and bodies that tackle issues from drug and alcohol addiction to children with behavioural problems and other areas of importance. The royal is now patron of Action on Addiction and the ...

The link is no longer active.

Thanks to another royal forum where I found (and copied) this information.

Can't wait to get the full list, and I LOVE that she's chosen addiction as a cause. Addicts deal with quite a bit of stigma and a lot of people who think they're just weak and don't understand their illness. She'll bring some much needed publicity to that cause.

Duchess of Cambridge Charities and Patronages

Can't wait to get the full list, and I LOVE that she's chosen addiction as a cause. Addicts deal with quite a bit of stigma and a lot of people who think they're just weak and don't understand their illness. She'll bring some much needed publicity to that cause.
Isn't her uncle an addict too? I bet that was a very personal choice.

Yes, I believe her uncle battled addiction. I think he went to rehab a few years ago.

soapstar said:
Yes, I believe her uncle battled addiction. I think he went to rehab a few years ago.

Then it probably is a personal choice. I can't wait to see what work she's planning to do- I hope some of it is very hands on and that her patronage isn't limited to fundraisers (although, that will of course be an important part of her responsibilities as a patron)

Don't know how much of a surprise this will be if it's reported in the media!
I'm still trying to figure out how they found this out (and if it's indeed the case for Catherine's birthday celebrations.....just doesn't strike me as something she'd want). However, these leaks give all involved some time to plan and devise a strategy that will fool the press and make the occasion as low-key as possible. I sincerely hope that Catherine's birthday will be what she would want and be comfortable with.

I wonder if they read about themselves or if the Duke's secretary just tells them what they need to know.
I would imagine that it would be one nasty surprise to go out to run errands and see something about one's birthday plans (especially if they were meant to stay hidden) plastered all over the news-stands. I hope that someone from their staff informs them of what is afoot so that there are no uncomfortable situations.

I can't imagine Kate being so insulated from the press, especially when she goes out shopping and might pick up a newspaper on her daily activities or switching on the TV.
I'm with you here. That would be not very pleasant and there's no reason for it either.

The Birmingham Daily Mail jumped the embargo gun and published a list of the Duchess of Cambridge's charities.
Thank you for the information. Looking forward to seeing the full list of the Duchess's choices and patronages. I'm glad to see that she's doing something related to children with special needs. That field could use having some influential advocates.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad that, from what little we know so far, she appears to be going for patronages which aren't particularly glamorous. By that I mean, it's easy to go to Africa, hold a starving child for a few pictures and slope off again. Similarly with puppies and kittens. Addiction is certainly not a glamorous topic and yet it has an absolutely enormous impact on society.

In terms of the embargo, I'd pretty much guarantee that the press have had this information for some time but are not to release it until a particular time specified by Kate's people. I suppose it's so that the press people at Clarence House/St James's Palace are all in place and ready to deal with the legion of press enquiries.

I've also read that an embargo allows the media to be able to research and get background information before the official announcement is made.

Then it probably is a personal choice. I can't wait to see what work she's planning to do- I hope some of it is very hands on and that her patronage isn't limited to fundraisers (although, that will of course be an important part of her responsibilities as a patron)

I agree. I would love to see her become very hands on. The one thing I've always admired about William and Harry is their dedication to their charities. They tend to go beyond the fundraisers and really get involved - William spending the night on the streets in London and Harry trekking to the North Pole. I think if Kate follows their example, she will do very well.

Last edited:
Clarence House:

The Duchess of Cambridge is to become Patron of four UK charities @TheArtRoomUK @NPGLondon @EACH_Hospices and Action on Addiction

The Duchess of Cambridge will also become a volunteer with @UKScouting, spending time privately with groups in N. Wales and elsewhere

BBC Article

Information on each of the organisations from the Times:

Action on Addiction
Helps people at treatment centres in Merseyside, London, Wiltshire and Dorset.
It also supports their families, commissions research and trains counsellors. Recently started providing help for children affected by addicted parents. Has an annual turnover of about £7 million and employs 140 people, including researchers, medics, psychiatrists, therapists and counsellors.

East Anglia’s Children’s Hospices
Cares for children with life-threatening conditions across Cambridgeshire, Essex, Norfolk and Suffolk. Has hospices in Milton, Quiddenham and Ipswich. As well as day care and overnight breaks, it also provides end-of-life care in the hospice or at home. Has 220 staff, and raises £6 million to £7 million a year.

The Art Room
Set up in 2002, it uses art to help 5 to 16-year-olds who are experiencing emotional and behavioural difficulties.
It maintains a dedicated art room in four secondary and primary schools in Oxford and one in Islington, North London, running sessions from one to four days a week. Also works with a further 22 schools.
Employs 14 staff, including teachers, artists and psychotherapists, and has a turnover of £350,000 a year.

National Portrait Gallery
Founded in 1856, it has the most extensive collection of portraits in the world — more than 160,000 spanning from the 16th century to today, including painting, sculpture, photography and video.
Entrance to the permanent collection is free. It attracts 1.8 million visitors a year and generates nearly 60 per cent of its income from memberships, paid-for exhibitions, its restaurant, publications and corporate support. The rest comes from a government grant of £7,577,000.

Scout Association
Provides adventurous activities and personal development for more than 400,000 young people aged 6 to 25 across Britain. Nearly 100,000 volunteers help with activities.
Scouting, founded in 1907 by Lord Baden-Powell, is the largest co-education youth organisation in the world, with 28 million members across 216 countries.

Of course, Kate can't become Patron of the Scouts because they've already got one - the Queen.

Fantastic choices, all of them. I'm very excited to see what kind of work she does- I'd wager we'll see solo engagements supporting each of these organizations in the very near future (and probably at least a few while William is in the Falklands.)

Good choices so far; I really like the volunteering with the scouting organization that puts her love of children/young adults and the outdoors into play. Some other choices seem to address her areas of interest and personal experiences as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for that TortillaChips. Great choices IMO and considering taking part in UK Guiding could have been spun as stepping on Sophie's toes (She is the Honourary President of UKGuiding after all), working w/UK Scouting is a great way of still helping out w/the organization. My Family is a Guiding and Scouting Family, so to me, Kate deciding to volunteer w/UK Scouting is kind of special to me and will be to my Aunt Robbie, long time Scouts Canada Leader, too once she hears.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that clip, Ghost Night. Looks like there's a lot of activities the Duchess can certainly be engaged in.

The article from 'The Guardian' regarding Catherine's charity choices.

Duchess of Cambridge names the charities she will support | UK news | The Guardian

I think what she chose reflects her interests and passions, and as someone pointed out, there's little to no glamour in any of the causes. I think Catherine will take the 'hands-on' approach and these causes will definitely allow her to do so. There's nothing like visiting/working with a sick/severely disabled child, or going to a camping trip with a group of eight-year-olds. Again, this reflects on her kind and caring personality. She's very lucky to be able to use her passions to make a difference.

All great choices, I agree that Kate is going to very hands on with her patronage not just showing up and cutting a ribbon.

I can see it now - A new Man & Princess vs Wild episode - Kate & Bear with a pack of cub scouts camping on Mt Snowdon. Bear using Kate's engagement ring to focus the sunlight to light a fire. :)

I think what she chose reflects her interests and passions, and as someone pointed out, there's little to no glamour in any of the causes. I think Catherine will take the 'hands-on' approach and these causes will definitely allow her to do so. There's nothing like visiting/working with a sick/severely disabled child, or going to a camping trip with a group of eight-year-olds. Again, this reflects on her kind and caring personality. She's very lucky to be able to use her passions to make a difference.

Exactly,I feel the same & I wish her good luck with her new work!I´m sure she won´t disappoint,she will do great as always and be able to light up the world for some of the people she is helping.

YAY! Looking forward to some great discussions about what will hopefully be a lot of great and interesting work for her. Can't wait for her first solo engagements in support of these organizations.

Very worthy causes. I am sure that she will be an inspiration for many young professionals to increase their philanthropic undertakings in the future.

Am I the only one who can't wait to see Kate in the Scouting Uniform? :eek:D

I wonder what she'll be doing w/the National Portrait Gallery though? Perhaps concentrating on helping in various restoration projects, both hands on and also fundraising. As a BA in Art History, she has the background/training to do more than just fundraise for the NPG after all.

Just thinking out loud. :eek:)

Am I the only one who can't wait to see Kate in the Scouting Uniform? :eek:D

I wonder what she'll be doing w/the National Portrait Gallery though? Perhaps concentrating on helping in various restoration projects, both hands on and also fundraising. As a BA in Art History, she has the background/training to do more than just fundraise for the NPG after all.

Just thinking out loud. :eek:)

No she doesn't- a BA in art history knows the history of art, but nothing about the delicate science of restoration or the details that go into curating an exhibit- that's much more specialized knowledge.

I'm not trying to disparage the Duchess in any way- I think she'll do very good fundraising work for the National Portrait Gallery. But I've read many suggestions over the last year that her BA in Art History means she has the credentials to work on restoration and that's always seemed a dubious claim to me.

To quote the RF's own Diarist, "This is only my opinion and I don't wish to offend" :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom