The Dss of Cambridge as Patron of the National Portrait Gallery 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think its importance to remember the difference between those who have been featured on the cover using available photos and those who have consented to be on the cover using specially taken photographs. The Queen is probably on the front cover of a magazine every day of the year somewhere in the world, but how many times has she specifically permitted a photo to be taken so it can be used specially for a cover photo?

The magazine shoot is part of the National Portrait Gallery's Vogue 100 exhibit. The Duchess of Cambridge is royal patron. It's a very special cover for a British institution.

I agree and that's an important point to take into consideration IMO. I think it's thoughtful of Catherine to offer to pose for Vogue for this reason. I don't have a problem with royals posing for magazines mostly. If lesser known royals pose for magazines, it could help them get more recognition, which could be particularly beneficial if they are in the magazine due to a charity they are newly working with or a book they are promoting, etc.

I thought Catherine looked lovely in the new photos for Vogue, and I love the vibes of the photos - it suits her perfectly IMO. I shall have to purchase this edition of Vogue and have a look at that article.

Catherine's cover was photoshopped, like they all are, but I'm actually pleasantly surprised that they didn't overdo it. For instance, you can still see darker shading under her left eye, the result of the shadow, which means they probably left some of the natural shading in. However, obviously they retouched out all of any type of line or wrinkle she may have.

Still, it's better than the usual photoshop horror show, such as:

http://www.teen.com/2016/02/03/celebrities/celebrity-photoshop-fails-magazine-covers/#1

Royals posing for magazine covers is hardly new. Diana, CP Mary, Princess Charlene, and Charlotte Casiraghi have all posed exclusively for Vogue. Princess Eugenie and Princess Beatrice posed for Tatler. CP Mette-Marit and Princess Madeleine posed for Elle (Madeleine twice), Princess Marie posed for the cover of a Danish women's magazine and the Countess of Wessex recently posed for Harper's Bazaar. The men have also gotten in on the action. Prince Harry posed for GQ and Prince Charles posed for Country Life and Town & Country.

I'm sure there are more, but all of those royals consented to being on the cover and had photos taken specifically for the magazine.

I thought the photos of Kate were lovely and actually prefer her being photographed in a more natural setting, as opposed to being all done up in formal clothing.

Last edited:
Using the word horrific to describe the cover is over dramatic, the sinking of the Titanic was horrific. The image of that Vietnamese girl running scraming and naked down the street was horrific. Putting Kim Kardashian on the cover was horrific; Kate's picture is just plain and nothing special. And I don't see too much Photoshop. It's nice that sh did this for a good reason and just not to be on a cover.

Now Duc... How many royal ladies before Kate have posed for fashion magazines? It's been going on for decades
Anne (generally well liked) has done it back in the 70s. Nothing new. It's a great way to remain relevant and "out there" without going silly or tacky.

I don't see anything wrong with her doing the photos. So many royals have done it hope she does more

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

It's exciting that she agreed to do a magazine shoot. I hope she'll do more of them when asked- we get such beautiful photos that way.

HRHHermione, you are correct that it is exciting that the Duchess agreed to do a Vogue shoot. Catherine is a pretty lady and has a fantastic smile.

That ship has long since sailed...years ago when they started allowing all the media in (well before QEII's time).

Not to mention, times change. Very few if any people believe the royals are somehow elevated or different from the rest of us...let alone appointed by God to rule.

The best thing they can do now is do as much charitable works as they can and represent their countries as ambassadors of sorts...and help with tourism.

LaRae

I say why not do the photoshoot and cover? She's very tasteful and appropriate.

We can assume the palace approved as well. Kate is not a rebel.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just seen the other hat one. I think it's the one for the cover which is much better than the 1st one. Strange that they put a hat on her and hiding her famous hair.

I've just seen the other hat one. I think it's the one for the cover which is much better than the 1st one. Strange that they put a hat on her and hiding her famous hair.

There are now a couple of other "hat" photos out on the internet royal rob - one with Catherine smiling and one not - both black and white.

The photographer, makeup artist, and some of the Vogue personnel, have had a fun time on their Instagram accounts since it has all gone public.

Photos were taken in January at Sandringham, so amazing there were no hints, leaks etc in all this time.

Catherine will be viewing the two portraits on display on Wednesday, with the magazine - said to be ten pages, with seven photos - going on sale on Thursday in the UK.

Columnist Liz Jones has written that she's asked if there is a deal between the Royal Family and Land Rover - seeing the back of the vehicle in the photo shoot.

She says she recieved an ambivalent "no comment" from Kensington Palace. :lol:

I didn't realise until I read about the makeup used - the makeup lady persuaded Catherine to go without her usual very defined eye-liner and heavier blush. I think that just emphasised the eyebrows.

And the Duchess helped select the outfits along with the Vogue Editor-in-Chief and the Fashion Editor.

Last edited:
Sorry but I always feel uncomfortable when royals let themselves 'officially' appear on magazine covers. To me thats for celebrities not royalty.

I agree. I know most of the other members of the BRF have done magazine photo shoots but I was hoping Catherine would avoid it.

Maybe I would have liked it better if she handled it the way William did. He did a photo shoot for the charity, Crisis, then he let the charity sell the pictures to a magazine of their own choosing. This way his charity made money but he wasn't directly involved with the magazine. It was a savvy move by William.

There are now a couple of other "hat" photos out on the internet royal rob - one with Catherine smiling and one not - both black and white.

The photographer, makeup artist, and some of the Vogue personnel, have had a fun time on their Instagram accounts since it has all gone public.

Photos were taken in January at Sandringham, so amazing there were no hints, leaks etc in all this time.

Catherine will be viewing the two portraits on display on Wednesday, with the magazine - said to be ten pages, with seven photos - going on sale on Thursday in the UK.

Columnist Liz Jones has written that she's asked if there is a deal between the Royal Family and Land Rover - seeing the back of the vehicle in the photo shoot.

She says she recieved an ambivalent "no comment" from Kensington Palace. :lol:

I didn't realise until I read about the makeup used - the makeup lady persuaded Catherine to go without her usual very defined eye-liner and heavier blush. I think that just emphasised the eyebrows.

And the Duchess helped select the outfits along with the Vogue Editor-in-Chief and the Fashion Editor.

Glad there are more to come still hoping for some bling but I know it wasn't that sort of photo shoot

I agree. I know most of the other members of the BRF have done magazine photo shoots but I was hoping Catherine would avoid it.

Maybe I would have liked it better if she handled it the way William did. He did a photo shoot for the charity, Crisis, then he let the charity sell the pictures to a magazine of their own choosing. This way his charity made money but he wasn't directly involved with the magazine. It was a savvy move by William.

She did it in conjunction with the National Portrait Gallery and British Vogue collaborating for a celebration of portraiture. Vogue has the cover and more photos in the magazine and the NPG has a special exhibition including 2 of pictures of Kate at the museum. So it's not like the pictures were taken for no other purpose other than the magazine. Kate is the patron of NPG.

http://www.npg.org.uk/whatson/vogue...hrh-the-duchess-of-cambridge-in-vogue-100.php

She did it in conjunction with the National Portrait Gallery and British Vogue collaborating for a celebration of portraiture. Vogue has the cover and more photos in the magazine and the NPG has a special exhibition including 2 of pictures of Kate at the museum. So it's not like the pictures were taken for no other purpose other than the magazine. Kate is the patron of NPG.

Vogue 100: A Century of Style - Portraits of HRH The Duchess of Cambridge in Vogue 100

I'm well aware. I like the way William handled it better. He was photographed by a client of his charity, a former homeless man. Further driving home the message of what his photo shoot was about. Catherine was managed by Vogue staff, in comparison. I tip my hat to William. He was very clever.

Last edited:
I was excited before, but the NPG link makes it even better. And the timing is good- for her 5th wedding anniversary.

I hope she does more of these at significant times- maybe even a formal one some time :)

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Who is this woman?? The amount of photoshop is unbelievable!!

The DM used the phrase "another glossy royal" after mentioning Catherine in an article about Camilla's daughter-in-law. This is exemplaric for what is happening. Not only in the UK anyway. It is the celebrity culture bulldozering royal distance, serenity and dignity. Liz Jones wrote an extremely bitter and nasty article on this photo-shoot in the DM, so my point that an ever-ongoing celebritization leads to nothing seems to be proven.

Last edited:
I like the photo of the Kate with the red blouse. It gives a natural vibe. I don't like the other two pics. I think Kate does not look good, plus the thicker eyebrows do not do her ay favour.
On a general note,i'm glad she lessened her make-up! She looks much better!

kate doing a cover for vogue has been rumored for a long time now. i am glad that she made her cover matter by waiting several years after her marriage to do it, and for it to be done on a special anniversary of the magazine.

i must admit though that the pictures are not my favourite. i believe there are 3 in total, and i just don't find them that appealing. it was a nice touch to do them in the norfolk countryside though.

I would've liked to read Catherine's own reflection of the photo shoot, rather than hearing from KP officials and the director of NPG. Im sure she have some comments about the whole experience.

Clearly everyone involved knew what a big deal this was going to be. To be on the cover of the centenary issue of British Vogue for a NPG exhibtion is a big deal. Just think of all the people they had to pick from and chose Catherine and she agreed to do it.

The British photographer’s work is known for its quiet elegance and a degree of relaxed understatement.

Mr Olins said: “It’s a privilege to have been chosen to photograph HRH The Duchess of Cambridge for the Centenary issue of British Vogue and an honour that two of those portraits will hang in the National Portrait Gallery in London.

“This was the Duchess’s first sitting for a magazine and she was a joy to work with, a natural. I am incredibly grateful to Alexandra Shulman for placing her faith in me for such an important and historic assignment.”
Read more: Who is the British photographer who captured the natural beauty of Duchess Kate? | Royal | News | Daily Express

Last edited:
Here's a quick interview with Alexandra Shulman, the editor-in-chief of British Vogue.

http://news.sky.com/story/1688103/kate-poses-for-front-cover-of-vogue-magazine

I would've liked to read Catherine's own reflection of the photo shoot, rather than hearing from KP officials and the director of NPG. Im sure she have some comments about the whole experience.

She'll be viewing the images at the NPG on Wednesday, so I imagine we'll hear a comment or two then. Also it's a 10-page spread (+7 photos), so we may get to hear more about the whole experiences in the magazine article.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom