The Dss of Cambridge as Patron of the National Portrait Gallery 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wow. 49k is definitely lots for a neckless. i wonder if this was a gift by someone or she bought it on her own (maybe it was lent by cartier?). i personally don't find it very appropriate in these economic climate to wear a 49k piece of jewelry so casually, for a daytime event.

appart from that, she looked lovely and the dress was perfect for her.
Cartier have already confirmed the necklace is not a loan, so Kate must have either bought it herself (which seems somewhat unlikely), or it was a gift.
St James Palace spokesman said Kate has had the necklace for a while - which could mean anything from a month, to a couple of years.
I think it is likely the necklace was either a wedding, or 30th anniversary gift from Prince Charles, William, or the Middletons.

I do not understand this cost discussion again! When we talk about royals we talk about people living a rich life. And in Kates case we have a royal already rich before becoming royal! and married with a very rich royal (pcs Dianas fortune). So where is the problem having an expensive jewellery?

fandesacs2003 said:
I do not understand this cost discussion again! When we talk about royals we talk about people living a rich life. And in Kates case we have a royal already rich before becoming royal! and married with a very rich royal (pcs Dianas fortune). So where is the problem having an expensive jewellery?

There's nothing wrong with her wearing or having expensive jewellery. But some posters myself included think that £49,000 for the necklace she wore was unreasonable. It's also part of a "discussion" to wonder where it came from. Whilst William and Charles have a lot of money, dropping £49k for one necklace is a bit much IMO.

I don't understand why this only seems to be an issues when it comes to Kate. Like every royals buy their stuff from the Gap

miche said:
I don't understand why this only seems to be an issues when it comes to Kate. Like every royals buy their stuff from the Gap

It's not. You can look at every fashion forum and see discussion about the cost of clothing and jewellery. Particularly the CP Mary thread, woman who gets criticised for wearing h&m.

Also GAP clothing whether high street or outlet is not cheap.

I don't get why it is too much. It might not be much for her or the royal family, if they have access to the wealth then they can spend it on what they like. Who are we to decide if it was good money spent or not. Sooner or later Kate would buy piece to build her own collection with valuable pieces.

Lets remember that Kate doesn't come from a family that cannot afford such a price tag, moreover she married into the royal family who are also able to spend that much.

49K on a cartier necklace might sound cheap for that design if you would compare it other brands such as Harry Winston or Graff which would be selling it for much more.

New engagement for Duchess

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter
The Duchess of Cambridge, as Patron, will attend The Portrait Gala 2014 at the National Portrait Gallery, London, on Feb 11.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 13m
Photographer David Bailey and Olympic gold medallist Katherine Grainger will also attend the National Portrait Gallery event with Kate.

Apparently it is a black-tie dinner.

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail 2h
The event will be the first of a number of engagements coming up for the Cambridges in February.

Good to know! I will be in London, so I may just try my luck to get a glimpse.

Looking forward to HRH official engagements.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 11m
Guests have started arriving at the National Portrait Gallery for a findraising dinner to be attended by the Duchess of Cambridge.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 10m
Liz Hurley is among the first arrivals at the NPG. She's looking very glamorous.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 2m
Actor Alan Rickman and photographer David Bailey are also among the guests here who will meet the Duchess.

Duchess Kate Blog ‏@HRHDuchesskate 4m
The Duchess of Cambridge is due to arrive @NPGLondon at around 7.45 p.m according to the Mirror #kate

Jordon Lee ‏@JordonLee 30s
The Duchess of Cambridge has arrived in a Jenny Packham gown.

Victoria Murphy ‏@QueenVicMirror 1m
Kate's jewels on loan from queen. Nizam of Hyderabad necklace. Queen given it as wedding gift

Last edited:
Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 2m
The Duchess of Cambridge wore the same ink blue Jenny Packham dress in October at the 100 Women in Hedge Funds Gala.

British Royals ‏@britishroyals 3m Kate first front view tonight MT @Sparklie_Girlie: WE JUST SAW THE DUCHESS OF CAMBRIDGE pic.twitter.com/evIdAM5c5b

Last edited:
Kate looks lovely tonight. and check out that necklace! wow!

She looks lovely :flowers: And that diamond necklace is a nice loan from Her Majesty !

Jewels are gorgeous
Don't care for Kate's locks AT all

Why can t she put her hair up to do justice to glory of that necklace? UGH

A loose chignon would have been perfect ! The gown, and the necklace are wondeful tho' !

I was there, but was pushed back by all the paps. My husband got annoyed, and we ended up leaving right before she arrived. Gah! Patience is indeed a virtue :sad:.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using The Royals Community mobile app

An updo would be much better with this amazing gown and this brillian necklace!
I just love this necklace on her, she can pull it off: I mean, look how amazing she looks with such bling-bling jewelry.
I hope she will take this necklace with her to Australia/New-Zealand in April. Love it!

I wonder when she is going to get a hair stylist because it is clear from this look that she doesn't have one. It looks like she didn't even bother to wash her hair - as it looks very greasy. It hasn't been brushed properly.

This woman seriously needs help in the way she dresses and looks as she is a huge failure in these areas.

As a result the entire look is off as we can't see the necklace which should have been clearly visible.

The see-through nature of the dress also means she should have worn a decent petticoat as seeing her legs through the dress isn't appropriate at an official function for the future Queen.

I wonder when she is going to get a hair stylist because it is clear from this look that she doesn't have one. It looks like she didn't even bother to wash her hair - as it looks very greasy. It hasn't been brushed properly.

This woman seriously needs help in the way she dresses and looks as she is a huge failure in these areas.

As a result the entire look is off as we can't see the necklace which should have been clearly visible.

The see-through nature of the dress also means she should have worn a decent petticoat as seeing her legs through the dress isn't appropriate at an official function for the future Queen.

A... A petticoat? Seriously? In 2014?

Should we also have a fainting couch on hand in case she has a bout of hysteria and we need to send for the apothecary?

Lace her into a good corset?

Make sure to talk about the destruction to the family that will occur if women get the vote?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom