The Duchess of Cambridge and Sporting Patronages

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sir Ben mentions both W&K but because Catherine is Patron of 1851 Trust I'll post here.

Four-time Olympic champion Sir Ben Ainslie has spoken of his desire to get the country behind his ambition to bring the America’s Cup to Britain.

The 38-year-old former Truro School pupil said that gaining the support of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge for his Land Rover BAR team was a boost to the plan to broaden the appeal of sailing.

His comments come as Land Rover BAR announced a £47 million boost for the UK economy created by the 2015 Louis Vuitton America’s Cup World Series (ACWS) held in Portsmouth this July, with a greater boost expected for the second event next summer.

He said the creation of the 1851 Trust, which both he and the Duchess of Cambridge are patrons of, and the Andrew Simpson Sailing Foundation, which encourage youngsters to get involved in sailing, were a major part of the planned legacy from the America’s Cup bid.
Read more: Sir Ben Ainslie hails Prince William and Kate for America’s Cup bid support | Western Morning News

Last edited:
Source: Court Circular

Kensington Palace

8th December, 2015

The Duchess of Cambridge, Patron, the 1851 Trust, this morning attended a Board Meeting at Kensington Palace.

I'm glad the court is now in the habit of publishing her meetings. At first they weren't doing so. Let's everyone know that even when you don't see her out publically, she's working behind the scenes.

British Royals ‏@britishroyals
Exciting for tennis fans: The Queen will reportedly pass on her Wimbledon role to the Duchess of Cambridge this year

The passing of this patronage from the Queen to Kate doesn't come as a big surprise to me but seems to feel like passing on a patronage that will fit Kate like a pair of snug gloves. It will probably remain with Kate until, as Queen Consort, she passes it down the line to her successor.

The Duchess of Cambridge Charities and Patronages

The Wimbledon patronage just screamed Kate. The Queen never appeared to be a huge tennis fan and Kate is. The same thing with the English Rugby Union and Harry. The Queen is also patron of the Welsh Rugby Union too. I wonder if that would be turned over to William?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

The news papers have been making quite a big deal of the Queen handing over these sporting patronages. However these are not sports that the Queen is much a fan of or has done much with - she hasn't attended rugby matches for over 20 years according to the Daily Mail and attending Wimbledon has been rare and when she does it looks like its the most boring engagement ever for the Queen.
It seems an obvious choice for it to be given to Kate who is passionate about tennis. Look forward to this being announced in the near future.

It's the Duke of Kent as President that has the high profile for The All England Club and attends most days of the Wimbledon tournament.

HMQ has only visited 4 times in her entire reign.

Even though QEII will be handing the patronage over to Kate, I still see the DoK being present throughout the tournament.

I'm glad more responsibility are being handed down to Catherine.

Why couldn't Kate present the Ladies champion trophy like the Duchess of Kent used to do? If the All England Club has grass roots tennis programs that could be something else Kate could do sort of how William helps promote grass roots soccer with The FA.

She'll have a role to play. The Queen just wasn't active in her role as patron.

She'll have a role to play. The Queen just wasn't active in her role as patron.

Exactly and it is about time a Royal who loves the game passionately becomes the Royal Patron of Wimbledon. I think we'll be surprised by what Catherine will bring to the role, simply because Her Majesty is not a Tennis Fan and in turn, IMHO, this is one of her Patron of an Organization that when people think of Britain, they think of... Patronages. Which is no slam against Her Majesty, as we have all had to take things on we were bored to tears over simply because it was the right thing to do. Like when she turned up for Andy Murray's Semi Final a few years ago. I'm sure Her Majesty felt she like she was watching paint dry, but she was there to cheer on Andy and if she hadn't, the uproar would have been huge.

I hope what I'm trying to say is getting across.

One thing I'd love to see Catherine do, is attend some of the Paralympic Wheelchair matches. Not many know they also take part in the Grand Slams as well. Unless you follow Paralympic Sport that is. Her attendance at those matches would also bring the Press and in turn...Win Win IMO!!!

We'll have to wait and see, but I do think we'll be surprised to see what direction Catherine takes this in.

I also hope any of that made sense. I always watch as much live coverage from the Aussie Open that I can, but w/a Canadian in the mix!?! To say I'm Sleep Deprived is a huge understatement ATM!!

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Exactly and it is about time a Royal who loves the game passionately becomes the Royal Patron of Wimbledon. I think we'll be surprised by what Catherine will bring to the role, simply because Her Majesty is not a Tennis Fan and in turn, IMHO, this is one of her Patron of an Organization that when people think of Britain, they think of... Patronages. Which is no slam against Her Majesty, as we have all had to take things on we were bored to tears over simply because it was the right thing to do. Like when she turned up for Andy Murray's Semi Final a few years ago. I'm sure Her Majesty felt she like she was watching paint dry, but she was there to cheer on Andy and if she hadn't, the uproar would have been huge.

I hope what I'm trying to say is getting across.

One thing I'd love to see Catherine do, is attend some of the Paralympic Wheelchair matches. Not many know they also take part in the Grand Slams as well. Unless you follow Paralympic Sport that is. Her attendance at those matches would also bring the Press and in turn...Win Win IMO!!!

We'll have to wait and see, but I do think we'll be surprised to see what direction Catherine takes this in.

I also hope any of that made sense. I always watch as much live coverage from the Aussie Open that I can, but w/a Canadian in the mix!?! To say I'm Sleep Deprived is a huge understatement ATM!!

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Oh I love the idea of her publicizing the Paralympic matches! Very good idea

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I, too, think Kate will make an excellent patron for this. As she is to take over the Queen's role, I'm sure that she will eager to do all she can. One thing I do expect her to do though is respect the standing that the current President, the Duke of Kent holds. Kate just seems the type to be more apt to work with someone rather than just take over a top spot. For all we know, the DoK may actually welcome someone younger taking the reins more and more.

With all of Harry's focus on wounded service personnel and Kate's emphasis on youth, in the future it would be really nice to see more and more focus put on sports and disabilities and grass roots programs as a whole. Champions are to be found in every level and should be celebrated.

The Wimbledon patronage just screamed Kate. The Queen never appeared to be a huge tennis fan and Kate is. The same thing with the English Rugby Union and Harry. The Queen is also patron of the Welsh Rugby Union too. I wonder if that would be turned over to William?

I'm so glad to see that the Queen is turning over these patronages to the younger generation, What I'm exceedingly glad of is that they are being turned over to someone who actually loves the sports they will be patronizing. Yes, Wimbledon screams Kate, just like rugby with William and Harry.

1851 Trust ‏@1851Trust
We're looking forward to welcoming our Patron the Duchess @KensingtonRoyal & showing our projects with young people

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal
The Duchess visits @LandRoverBAR on 20 May to see @1851Trust inspire the next generation in sailing and science

Sir Ben again?

The Duchess of Cambridge is to visit the America's Cup base of sailing champion Sir Ben Ainslie to see how youngsters are being inspired to join the marine industry.

In her role as royal patron of the 1851 Trust, a charity set up as part of the Ben Ainslie Racing (BAR) effort to win the prestigious racing tournament, Kate will launch two initiatives aimed at involving children and young adults from diverse backgrounds in sailing and the technology of the sport.

It will be the third time that the duchess has visited the BAR base in Portsmouth, having dropped by before the centre was opened and again during the first round of the America's Cup World Series which was held in the city last July before being cut short by heavy winds and rain.
Read more: Kate to launch sailing schemes for youngsters at ben ainslie racing base | Daily Mail Online

Great pics...she's clearly in her element there!

LaRae

I wonder if we will see a resurgence in sailing in the BRF with the Cambridges. DoE and Anne seem to be the last sailors in the family and it hasn't been an active interest passed on to the next generation. Maybe in a few years we will see the Cambridges at Cowes Week

I wonder if we will see a resurgence in sailing in the BRF with the Cambridges. DoE and Anne seem to be the last sailors in the family and it hasn't been an active interest passed on to the next generation. Maybe in a few years we will see the Cambridges at Cowes Week

Catherine have a big interest in sailing. Zara too, so I think the interest will now be passed down.

Back
Top Bottom