The Birth of HRH Princess Charlotte of Cambridge: May 2, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Charles Spencer @cspencerbooks · 6h 6 hours ago
Perfect names. My 2-year old Charlotte Diana will be thrilled at cousinly name-sharing. Is at an age where thinks world revolves around her!

Charles Spencer crowing. Called it.

personally, I think this is the perfect quintessential English name and very fitting/becoming for a Princess of the British realm. I am very glad they went with something they liked, possibly with a nod to family members, and nothing to "unusual" or "different" or "modern".
I am also very surprise at how the little princess very much resembles her brother the prince, right out of the womb!
Now here is a question that may have been asked already: Does anyone know why the Duchess left the hospital the same day as the birth??? I know she stayed in like 2 or 3 days with George. I was just wondering if it was personal choice or maybe since George was a boy and 3rd in line to the throne, that maybe they wanted to make sure everything was ok health wise before they let him go. Or maybe since Catherine's labor was much longer with him, they wanted her to stay?? I'm just curious. I think only Princess MM for Norway was the only other Princess that I can think of the went to the hosp, delivered, and left the same day. Very unusual.

I remember Crownprincess Victoria did the same.
As far as leaving hospital after giving birth, its custom in Denmark that, if no complications occur, you have to leave the hospital after 2 days with your firstborn, and when you have another child you have to leave after 4 hours.

Someone in this thread mentioned "Bonnie Princess Charlie" as a possible news headline, and whoever it was must be psychic, because the front page of the Tuesday's Metro has the headline "A bonnie Princess Charlotte." :lol:

I think we will get a picture of the new family of four in the next couple of weeks then we won't see her again until her christening.
How long did we wait to get the first "official" pictures of George?

:bang:William is too predictable. Now let him deny that they selected this name for no reason other than they liked the names.

So many people knew this would be the name. William trying to appeal to the masses rather than being original.

Do not like the name. Do not care for Charlotte or Diana. Elizabeth was a given.

The only redeeming part of Charlotte is it is a girl's name that has a male nickname. So it is Georgie and Charlie.

Also Catherine continues her family tradition of the C first name with Elizabeth middle name.

I would have preferred a Francesca rather than a Diana and an Alexandra rather than a Charlotte.

Alexandra Elizabeth Francesca.

Well maybe Harry will show some originality.

I mean no offense, but have you stopped to consider that you're taking this too seriously, and thus are angrier than you need to be over something that ultimately doesn't concern or affect you? The future king is not going to be "original" when naming one of his children. Katie Price can be original. I don't know what kind of name you were expecting William and Catherine to give her, but it wasn't going to be something out of left field or something that would not be suitable for royalty. As for why they chose to name her what they did, so what if they chose the names because they liked them? Isn't that what you're supposed to do? You wouldn't give your kid a name you don't like, would you?

You don't have to like the name Charlotte (I personally don't get what is so objectionable about it), but try and keep this in its proper perspective; two people you don't know and who you will never know gave their daughter a name. That's it. It's not a personal affront.

Hmmm. Interesting choice. She'll be the butt of some unkind jokes somewhere along the way during her school years.

But I do like Charlie as a short form. It works for a girly girl as well as a tomboy. Not so keen on Lottie though.

I thought Diana was inevitable and I'm not surprised to see Elizabeth there either. It's a way of honouring all families but giving the child a distinctive name of her own.

:bang:The names flow fine. I think you're just unhappy they included Diana.

You are wrong there.

When George was born I congratulated William for honoring his mother by using all Spencer names.

Using the same tactic for the second time, I see this as slap in the face to the royal family.

Charlotte: Pippa's middle name and the Middleton pattern of naming the first daughter's first name starting with C. Also the name of Charles Spencer's daughter and the a variant of his name.
Elizabeth: middle name of Catherine and Carole Middleton.
Diana:

George's name corresponds to Diana's nephews from her siblings in the order her sibling's birth.

George: Sarah's son
Alexander: Jane's son
Louis: Charles' son

Last edited:
Hmmm. Interesting choice. She'll be the butt of some unkind jokes somewhere along the way during her school years.

Why is that? (Other than the fact that most children are subject to some unkind jokes at some point or another).

Charlotte, one of my favourite name in all time... and it is a French name too !!! Wonderfull i

I think Elizabeth should have been at the end and Diana first I actually think Diana should have been first period

Why is that? (Other than the fact that most children are subject to some unkind jokes at some point or another).

Best I don't post those lyrics here, but I'm fairly sure that at some stage during her schooling she'll meet some child who knows the song.

You are wrong there.

When George was born I congratulated William for honoring his mother by using all Spencer names.

Using the same tactic for the second time, I see this as slap in the face to the royal family.

Charlotte: Pippa's middle name and the Middleton pattern of naming the first daughter's with first name starting with C. Also the name of Charles Spencer's daughter and the a variant of his name.
Elizabeth: middle name of Catherine and Carole Middleton.
Diana:

George's name corresponds to Diana's nephews from her siblings in the order her sibling's birth.

George: Sarah's son
Alexander: Jane's son
Louis: Charles' son

Oh, come on. You're just winding us up at this point, aren't you? We're dealing with a lot of common, traditional English names here. They may be Spencer names, but, with the exception of Diana, they're obviously all names from the royal family's side as well.

Charlotte: traditional name in the British royal family and also a female version of Charles
Elizabeth: no explanation needed, hopefully

George: six kings with that name, including the Queen's father; is also one of Charles's given names
Alexander: male version of Alexandra, a common royal name, and one of the Queen's given names
Louis: Louis Mountbatten, and one of William's given names

(And I think I've probably left out quite a bit with that list).

And yes, her name starts with a C, just like Catherine and Carole . . . and Charles and Camilla.

P.S. Nice job on "calling" Charles Spencer's crowing . . . after he'd already tweeted about it.

The person paying for Anmer Hall, Kensington Palace and the Cambridge upkeep is the Queen and her name should have been first.

I called Charles Spencer crowing before I read about his tweet.

I think it is a lovely name. I hope no one calls her Lottie. Charlotte is lovely. Also, though of the fact that George III and his wife Charlotte were a good combination, so if you want to nitpick, that's whom they are named after.

I love the name Charlotte ;)
It wasn't exactly my fav, but definitely it was among my top 5 guesses, so I'm quite pleased.

All the best for the young family :flowers:

The person paying for Anmer Hall, Kensington Palace and the Cambridge upkeep is the Queen and her name should have been first.

You're absolutely right. In fact, they should've done one better and given George the name Elizabeth, just to make their gratitude clear!

(Also, didn't you say you thought they should've named her Alexandra just a few posts back? :ermm: Well, at least the lack of logic is consistent.)

Seriously, Are you for real ?

Why oh why some people just can't enjoy the moment ! A new baby is born and yes these names are wonderfully chosen. It shows a level of maturity, understanding and peace in this familly.
Hats off to the Cambridges to show us some class, seems it's desperately needed ...

Last edited:
Charlotte Elizabeth Diana.....!! is about as perfect as can be. It hits every note, honoring the infant's mother, paternal and maternal grandmothers, great-grandmother and the Prince of Wales to boot! I love it, I love it, I love it, I love it!! It's very Royal, and I felt a lump in my throat when I saw "Diana" in there because I honestly thought it would never happen.

The Spencers must be ecstatic!

I could not be more thrilled if I'd personally named the baby. Did I mention yet that I just LOVE the name??:p;)

ETA: I just realized that she will be sharing a name with her 2nd cousin Lady Charlotte Diana Spencer......!!

Very feminine and modern..
I,love it..
Alice is a old name..thankfully she wasn't named Alice...bleh...

Totally agree! I had my fingers crossed...my eyes and my toes too!:lol:;)

I predicted last night that her first or second name would be Elizabeth...as soon as I heard they would not make the formal, public announcement until seeing HM I knew that "Elizabeth" was IN!:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, not that William or Catherine asked me, but I love the name Charlotte:ROFLMAO:

While I agree it doesn't immeadiately roll off the tongue...Charlotte Elizabeth Diana is a lovely name that honours a LOT of people. I am not really understanding how the name is insulting to the royal family.

Charlotte honours Charles, her grandfather...who must be over the moon...he loves his sons and his grandson but really wanted a girl in the immeadiate family. It also fits the tradition of the first named girl on Catherine's side of the family of being a C name, and it honors Carole, her maternal grandmother.

Elizabeth honours the Queen and the Queen Mother. It is also the name of her aunt, Pippa.

Diana - well, you would have to be living under a rock to know who this name honors. I really thought he would have gone with Frances instead of Diana.

-------------------------------

I couldn't see the first name being Diana or Elizabeth considering how those two names are so identified with well know figures. Charlotte allows the baby to have her own identity, she can set the story for her own life.

I am not feeling Princess Bonnie Charlie...or Lottie for that matter. I am surprised they haven't come up with Princess Char:lol:

Charlotte Elizabeth Diana.....!! is about as perfect as can be. It hits every note, honoring the infant's mother, paternal and maternal grandmothers, great-grandmother and the Prince of Wales to boot! I love it, I love it, I love it, I love it!! It's very Royal, and I felt a lump in my throat when I saw "Diana" in there because I honestly thought it would never happen.

The Spencers must be ecstatic!

I could not be more thrilled if I'd personally named the baby. Did I mention yet that I just LOVE the name??:p;)

ETA: I just realized that she will be sharing a name with her 2nd cousin Lady Charlotte Diana Spencer......!!

Also sharing a name with her second cousin Lady Louise Alice ELIZABETH Mary....

I'm glad they did not use Elizabeth as the first name of a second child. If George's first child is a girl, I think Elizabeth would be great. Elizabeth III will follow George VII. This monarchy has gone on for 1000 years. They think long term in many aspects we don't think twice about. There are only about 4 Monarch Queen names, Anne, Mary (bad idea), Victoria and Elizabeth.

They're already out there saying we won't see Charlotte for another three months. I still say that's a mistake on their part but it's their choice.

Where and who is saying this? It is going to take 3 months for her to be baptized? I am sure there will be a family picture in about a month or less.

Mary is a bad idea? The Queen's grandmother was Queen Mary.

LaRae

Charlotte is a very tragic name in the BRF. Both Princess Charlotte of Wales and Princess Charlotte of Clarence died before they could become Queen Regent. It's nice to see the name finally revived, it gives me hope that John could be brought back in the future. With such limited name options there's no room for superstitions!

Will there was Queen Charlotte who was a very popular and beloved Queen.

I think it should have been Charlotte Diana Elizabeth. I think it sounds so much better like that. I told everyone that they would name her Charlotte, since it was so popular a name for her. Everyone like George and that's what little George was name too.

I think the name is beautiful. I believe Kate's middle name is Elizabeth so it honors grandma, great grandma and mom. Perfect! George has one of William's middle names and Charlotte had one of Kate's. I think it makes sense and is a beautiful way to honor traditions on both sides while still sounding regal...

Back
Top Bottom