The Birth of HRH Princess Charlotte of Cambridge: May 2, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:bang:William is too predictable. Now let him deny that they selected this name for no reason other than they liked the names.

So many people knew this would be the name. William trying to appeal to the masses rather than being original.

Do not like the name. Do not care for Charlotte or Diana. Elizabeth was a given.

The only redeeming part of Charlotte is it is a girl's name that has a male nickname. So it is Georgie and Charlie.

Also Catherine continues her family tradition of the C first name with Elizabeth middle name.

I would have preferred a Francesca rather than a Diana and an Alexandra rather than a Charlotte.

Alexandra Elizabeth Francesca.

Well maybe Harry will show some originality.

Why do they need to show originality? Is this some sort of art contest? And why do you assume they're trying to appeal to the masses? All the names they chose are very obviously a nod to close family members - maybe that's what's important to them. She may be a princess, but she's their daughter first and foremost, and it seems family ties are important to them. (I mean a lot of people - not just royals - like to give their children traditional family names, even if they aren't exciting.)

:bang:William is too predictable. Now let him deny that they selected this name for no reason other than they liked the names.

So many people knew this would be the name. William trying to appeal to the masses rather than being original.

Do not like the name. Do not care for Charlotte or Diana. Elizabeth was a given.

The only redeeming part of Charlotte is it is a girl's name that has a male nickname. So it is Georgie and Charlie.

Also Catherine continues her family tradition of the C first name with Elizabeth middle name.

I would have preferred a Francesca rather than a Diana and an Alexandra rather than a Charlotte.

There are people who doesn't care about originality. For me it only matters my taste, even if the name is super common or old fashioned. The child will be mine and will have a name that I think it suits her/him and be a name that I'm proud of. The same with William and Catherine, I doubt they named her Charlotte to please the masses, they name her Charlotte because they love the name and because it means a lot to them.

I like the names and all the meanings to them.
Prince Charles finally got his girl and she is named
after him.:flowers:

Charles Spencer is crowing. Charlotte=Charles Spencer. Charles Spencer's daughter Charlotte Diana.

Each child's name should be unique.

There are people who doesn't care about originality. For me it only matters my taste, even if the name is super common or old fashioned. The child will be mine and will have a name that I think it suits her/him and be a name that I'm proud of. The same with William and Catherine, I doubt they named her Charlotte to please the masses, they name her Charlotte because they love the name and because it means a lot to them.

I quite agree! It's worth remembering that William and Catherine will probably have started thinking of names they like months and months ago - they may have heard what the public think or want, but not on a daily basis as we have discussed here on TRF.

As for the new princess's name - I can only say that, being British, I am pleased that Charlotte has been chosen because it is a rare name in the British Royal Family.

It is no surprise that Elizabeth and Diana were also used, I like the names but I am struggling a little to say all three names at once as they do not flow easily - but that's just me!

personally, I think this is the perfect quintessential English name and very fitting/becoming for a Princess of the British realm. I am very glad they went with something they liked, possibly with a nod to family members, and nothing to "unusual" or "different" or "modern".
I am also very surprise at how the little princess very much resembles her brother the prince, right out of the womb!
Now here is a question that may have been asked already: Does anyone know why the Duchess left the hospital the same day as the birth??? I know she stayed in like 2 or 3 days with George. I was just wondering if it was personal choice or maybe since George was a boy and 3rd in line to the throne, that maybe they wanted to make sure everything was ok health wise before they let him go. Or maybe since Catherine's labor was much longer with him, they wanted her to stay?? I'm just curious. I think only Princess MM for Norway was the only other Princess that I can think of the went to the hosp, delivered, and left the same day. Very unusual.

It is no surprise that Elizabeth and Diana were also used, I like the names but I am struggling a little to say all three names at once as they do not flow easily - but that's just me!

The names do not flow. It appears as if William and Catherine did not sound out the name and just selected the names and lumped them together.

Last edited:

So, the Duke and Duchess didn't pick the names YOU prefer? I just don't understand how they could have been so RUDE. Perhaps you weren't at home when they called or perhaps the name "Francisca" means NOTHING to them. I don't know. Maybe you could give William a call and question him on his choices for HIS child.

Very thrilled with their choice ;) Charlotte wasn't my fav at first, but the girl looks like a Charlotte (if this makes sense) and she is absolute perfect :heart:
Elizabeth was a given, but never expected Diana. Just lovely!!

Now here is a question that may have been asked already: Does anyone know why the Duchess left the hospital the same day as the birth??? I know she stayed in like 2 or 3 days with George. I was just wondering if it was personal choice or maybe since George was a boy and 3rd in line to the throne, that maybe they wanted to make sure everything was ok health wise before they let him go. Or maybe since Catherine's labor was much longer with him, they wanted her to stay?? I'm just curious. I think only Princess MM for Norway was the only other Princess that I can think of the went to the hosp, delivered, and left the same day. Very unusual.

I think you are not remembering correctly. The Duchess left the hospital within a day after George was born. I believe he was born in the afternoon and she left the following afternoon. She did not stay 2 or 3 days. She was in labor with George for about 10 hours while her labor with Charlotte was less than three hours. The doctor will allow a mother to leave the hospital whenever she wants, as long as there were no complications and as long as both mother and child have had a bowel movement. In America, if you have a baby in the early morning, it's not unusual to be released later that afternoon or, at the very latest, the following morning. There is no need and it is very wasteful to keep a woman in the hospital for days after birth. It's childbirth, not a heart transplant.

Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden gave birth in the night and left around "midday".

Welcome to the world Princess Charlotte! I love the names they chose!

In which language ?

Name meanings can be a bit tricky, because sometimes the origin isn't clear, and sometimes there are multiple translations. Charlotte is the French female diminutive of Charles. Charles comes from the Germanic "Karl", but there are differing theories as to its meaning (some say it means "man," others say it means "army, warrior." Meanings Charlotte that I've seen are "strong and virile" and "vigorous."

Elizabeth comes from the Hebrew "Elisheva" and is most frequently translated as "my God is an oath," though I've seen a number of variations of that

Diana is believed to be derived from an old Indo-European root meaning "heavenly" or "divine."

(These things can obviously get a bit confusing. I find the website behindthename.com to be quite helpful in terms of providing name origins and also name variations. Others members might know of some other good sources, though.)

I like the names and all the meanings to them.
Prince Charles finally got his girl and she is named
after him.:flowers:

When I was born, I was my parents' first child and my dad's parents had FIVE grandsons through my dad's sister (three boys) and older brother (two boys), so they could FINALLY shop in the pink section at Sears for the first time in 36 years, since my aforementioned aunt was born in '54. My parents gave me two brothers 3 and 6 years later; with my youngest brother, the last one; my grandpa KNEW it was going to be a boy, even though my mom was only 12 weeks along and the gender wasn't identifiable yet; given that 6 out of his 7 grandchildren at the time were boys.

Sent from my iPod touch using The Royals Community

Does your alias play any part in your opposition to including Diana as one of Princess Charlotte's name ? BTW, I wonder how the real Camilla feels about it.

Francesca is not an English name and would sound odd for a British princess. I don't personally like Charlotte (would have preferred Alice or Victoria), but at least it is the name of George III's queen consort and of a former heir presumptive to the British throne (princess Charlotte of Wales).

I believe we can expect more originality from Harry as his children will be further from the throne and, hence, not as bound by royal protocol as William's children. It will depend on his wife though. I still suspect that, unlike William, Harry may end up marrying the daughter of a British peer or even a foreign noble woman who may be quite conservative.

Last edited:
Yesterday I was watching the news and they were speculating that the new princess would be named Charlotte and wondering if Diana would be one of her names. For some reason the name Charlotte Elizabeth Diana occurred to me. I love it!

I absolutely love her name. So classic and lovely.

I love the name Charlotte! And when I saw the little princess I knew she got the face of a Charlotte:lol:. Charlotte Elizabeth were totally expected but I have to say I was a bit shocked when I read "Diana". I really thought they weren't going to name her with such an important reference. Maybe a more subtle hint would have been better IMO (Like Frances). And what more, I actually thought the queen would have twisted her nose at Diana, but I saw it was not the case. Hope the baby won't gey any further pression.Her first name Charlotte is lovely:flowers: I wanted Charlotte for her :D

Who cares if the names "flow"? How often will they be said in one go? At her christening and wedding, that's about it.

Who, outside us royal fans, even remembers what George's middle names are? I'd bet 90% of the British people have no idea - he's just Prince George.

For those who wished for originality in names, I give you Apple (Paltrow-Martin) and Moxie Crimefighter (magician Penn Gillette). Or what about Frank Zappa's daughter Moon Unit?

Hmmm. Princess Moon Unit of Cambridge...

I like the names. I'll be honest, Diana is the one I like the least, but I like the fact it's included. I also don't see why they don't "flow" - it's a mouthful but I think they go quite well together.

For those who wished for originality in names, I give you Apple (Paltrow-Martin) and Moxie Crimefighter (magician Penn Gillette). Or what about Frank Zappa's daughter Moon Unit?

Zappa's other daughter Diva Thin Muffin also was a low point in celebrity naming history. I like Charlotte. I read somewhere that it is Pippa's middle name and Elizabeth is Carol's so they got pretty much all the women in.

The names do not flow. It appears as if William and Catherine did not sound out the name and just selected the names and lumped them together.

:bang:The names flow fine. I think you're just unhappy they included Diana.

Last edited by a moderator:
They're already out there saying we won't see Charlotte for another three months. I still say that's a mistake on their part but it's their choice.

I am not surprised by their choice, a good nice name, honouring all close family members.

Charles Spencer @cspencerbooks · 6h 6 hours ago
Perfect names. My 2-year old Charlotte Diana will be thrilled at cousinly name-sharing. Is at an age where thinks world revolves around her!

Name meanings can be a bit tricky, because sometimes the origin isn't clear, and sometimes there are multiple translations. Charlotte is the French female diminutive of Charles. Charles comes from the Germanic "Karl", but there are differing theories as to its meaning (some say it means "man," others say it means "army, warrior." Meanings Charlotte that I've seen are "strong and virile" and "vigorous."

Elizabeth comes from the Hebrew "Elisheva" and is most frequently translated as "my God is an oath," though I've seen a number of variations of that

Diana is believed to be derived from an old Indo-European root meaning "heavenly" or "divine."

(These things can obviously get a bit confusing. I find the website behindthename.com to be quite helpful in terms of providing name origins and also name variations. Others members might know of some other good sources, though.)

Very interesting. Thanks a lot

I think the baby will next be seen in the official portrait...As it was for George birth...

I think we will get a picture of the new family of four in the next couple of weeks then we won't see her again until her christening.

You do realize there is a difference ebetween unquestionably and ridiculous. Charlotte is a unqie name in the RF and I'm glad they chose unqie. The least liked name is Diana but at least it's at the end.

I think Charlotte is the female version of Charles.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom