The Birth of HRH Princess Charlotte of Cambridge: May 2, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While the name Elizabeth is a nod to both sides of the family the name Charlotte is a nod to Charles and Pippa but also Carole Middleton because as I read on several name sites , Carole is also a diminutive, feminine form of Charles .

That is because of the Diana name, it is a "strange name" in the string of predictable names as Victoria, Alexandra, Elizabeth, Mary, etc. but it would have been surprising when that name was not given, especially since the grandfather has been honoured (Charles), then also the grandmother would have been logic (Diana). In the Spanish media they say "La pequeña Princesa Carlota Isabel Diana de Cambridge" and that sounds surprisingly good....

Carlota Joaquina was the name of the Spanish princess who was married to D. João VI of Portugal and was the mother of the Brazilian emperor (and later king of Portugal) D. Pedro I (IV).

The Brazilian regulars like Cris M and Duchess Caroline might be able to confirm it, but I believe Carlota would be considered a rather ugly name in Brazilian Portuguese these days.

Princess royal

I keep reading speculation that Princess Charlotte might be the next princess royal. Possibly, but I think it is a long shot.
Remember that there will not be a new princess royal untill the present Princess Royal passes, and then there might be a gap of a few years before the next one is named. If Anne enjoys the longivity of her mother & grandmother, we could be talking 40 years or more. By that time, George could have a daughter and the honor could easily by pass Charlotte all together. I'm just saying it's not a given.

Ana

I keep reading speculation that Princess Charlotte might be the next princess royal. Possibly, but I think it is a long shot.
Remember that there will not be a new princess royal untill the present Princess Royal passes, and then there might be a gap of a few years before the next one is named. If Anne enjoys the longivity of her mother & grandmother, we could be talking 40 years or more. By that time, George could have a daughter and the honor could easily by pass Charlotte all together. I'm just saying it's not a given.

Ana

Isn't the eldest living daughter of the monarch normally named the Princess Royal ? William will be king before George and hopefully for a long time after his father and aunt are already no longer with us, so I assume Charlotte will be Princess Royal.

I didn't expect them to go so 'expected' with the name.
But it's very lovely!

This week I get guests for diner, I will make a Charlotte Russe as dessert. It was created for Princess Charlotte of Wales, now I will make it in honour for Princess Charlotte of Cambridge. (A Charlotte Ruse is a cold dessert with bavaroise set in a mould, lined with sugared biscuits.)

Duc et Pair I think you should give us the recipe for that Charlotte Russe dessert :flowers:
Maybe a good idea for a new thread in the chit chat section of this forum: Royal Recipes?

There was a discussion about this on a Facebook page. I will post what I posted on there on here:

History of the Princess Royal Title starting with the Hanoverian:
1 King George 1 daughter Sophia Dorothea was never Princess Royal as by 1714 she was Queen in Prussia Electress of Brandenburg. She died in 1726

2 King George II made his Daughter Princess Anne (born 1709) Princess Royal in 1727 a couple months after his succession. She was 18. She died in 1759. She was the last Princess Royal for almost 30 years.

3 The next Princess Royal was Charlotte The Daughter of King George III and Queen Charlotte. She was not given the Title of Princess Royal until she was 22. . She was Princess Royal until she died in 1828.

4 The Next Princess of Royal was Victoria (Vicky) the Daughter of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. She was created Princess Royal Two Months after birth and held that tile until her death in 1901.

5 The Next Princess Royal was Louise The Daughter of King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra, altogether her Aunt died in 1901 she was not created Princess Royal until November 1905 when she was 38. She held that title until 1931

6 King George V made his Daughter Mary Princess Royal in January 1932 (Age 34) nearly a Year of Louise Death. She was Princess Royal until her death in 1965. There would not be another Princess Royal for 22 Years.

7 Princess Anne was created Princess Royal by her Mother in 1987 at age 37.
Only Vicky had the title from birth.

Videos:
The bells at Westminster Abbey were rung today to mark the birth of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's second child. The new baby daughter will be known as Her Royal Highness Princess Charlotte of Cambridge-

Home - ITNSource News

A 41 gun salute was fired at Hyde Park today to mark the birth of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's second child. The newborn baby daughter will be known as Her Royal Highness Princess Charlotte of Cambridge-
Home - ITNSource News

Look at the crowds in Hyde Park!

Last edited:
Carlota Joaquina was the name of the Spanish princess who was married to D. João VI of Portugal and was the mother of the Brazilian emperor (and later king of Portugal) D. Pedro I (IV).

The Brazilian regulars like Cris M and Duchess Caroline might be able to confirm it, but I believe Carlota would be considered a rather ugly name in Brazilian Portuguese these days.

Carlota is quite dated and not regarded as beautiful name in Brazil, and the lack of popularity of Queen Carlota Joaquina (albeit unfair) does not help. Not even the Imperial Family uses it anymore - I think Emperor Pedro I used as a middle name for one of his daughters.

I love the names! Wonderful choices. I felt pretty certain they'd go with one of the "expected" names as a first name, but I thought there was the possibility that they might not give the expected middle names (after all, I think a lot of us had been expecting that George's name would include more "obvious" middle names, like Charles or Philip, but they went with Alexander Louis). Compared to that, Charlotte Elizabeth Diana is much more straightforward with regard to namesakes.

LOVE the name ...perfect!

LaRae

I don't like it the name is almost mismatched IMO however I am pleased Diana is in there.

There was a discussion about this on a Facebook page. I will post what I posted on there on here:

Why did you forget the first Princess Royal? It is interesting that the two first Princesses-Royal were married with Dutch Princes.

Mary Stuart, spouse of Willem II of Nassau, Prince of Orange, Stadtholder of the United Provinces (Mary was The Princess Royal from 1642-1660)
See picture

Anne of Great Britain and Hannover, spouse of Willem IV of Nassau, Prince of Orange, Stadtholder of the United Provinces (Anne was The Princess Royal from 1727-1759)
See picture

:flowers:

Why did you forget the first Princess Royal? It is interesting that the two first Princesses-Royal were married with Dutch Princes.
:flowers:

The Dutch "Republic" was a major European power back then and the Princes of Orange were Protestant, so I guess it made sense.

Frankly I couldn't imagine a daughter not having Diana's name in there. William has made it pretty clear from the engagement on that he wants her memory involved in his life on various levels.

LaRae

Given that Charles Ist had married the French catholic princess Henrietta Maria [ and there were murmurings about his possible putative conversion to Rome], the marriage of their daughter to Europe's most prominent Protestant Prince was considered a triumph at the time, and a good way of silencing those rumours...
Sadly the Dutch did NOTHING to assist him when the Civil war broke out in 1642.

Frankly I couldn't imagine a daughter not having Diana's name in there. William has made it pretty clear from the engagement on that he wants her memory involved in his life on various levels.

LaRae

I had thought about that too, as the name Diana was being debated. I was pretty certain they wouldn't use it as a first name, but thought it had a solid chance of being one of the names because, as you mentioned, William had made it clear at the engagement announcement that wasn't going to shy away from his mother's memory in any way (after all, he gave Kate his mother's engagement ring!). I know some people get a bit funny at the mention of Diana, but at the end of the day, she was William's beloved mother, and that's obviously the perspective from which he views her.

1 King George 1 daughter Sophia Dorothea was never Princess Royal as by 1714 she was Queen in Prussia Electress of Brandenburg. She died in 1726

2 King George II made his Daughter Princess Anne (born 1709) Princess Royal in 1727 a couple months after his succession. She was 18. She died in 1759. She was the last Princess Royal for almost 30 years.

3 The next Princess Royal was Charlotte The Daughter of King George III and Queen Charlotte. She was not given the Title of Princess Royal until she was 22. . She was Princess Royal until she died in 1828.

4 The Next Princess of Royal was Victoria (Vicky) the Daughter of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. She was created Princess Royal Two Months after birth and held that tile until her death in 1901.

5 The Next Princess Royal was Louise The Daughter of King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra, altogether her Aunt died in 1901 she was not created Princess Royal until November 1905 when she was 38. She held that title until 1931

6 King George V made his Daughter Mary Princess Royal in January 1932 (Age 34) nearly a Year of Louise Death. She was Princess Royal until her death in 1965. There would not be another Princess Royal for 22 Years.

7 Princess Anne was created Princess Royal by her Mother in 1987 at age 37.
Only Vicky had the title from birth.

Thanks for the run down! I wasn't sure if a daughter of Edward VII had held the title.

The time gap between Princess Mary and Princess Anne rather makes my point. It is possible that there could be 30 or more years before the title comes vacant. It could be decided to leave the title vacant, especially if George has a daughter by that time. Of course, any thing is possible.

If I remember correctly, I believe the Queen wanted to give Anne the title much earlier, but Anne felt she needed to earn it. It was after years of work with her charity that she accepted the title.

Beautiful name! :) George and Charlotte. I like that they have honoured Diana but not made it a focus.

I had thought about that too, as the name Diana was being debated. I was pretty certain they wouldn't use it as a first name, but thought it had a solid chance of being one of the names because, as you mentioned, William had made it clear at the engagement announcement that wasn't going to shy away from his mother's memory in any way (after all, he gave Kate his mother's engagement ring!). I know some people get a bit funny at the mention of Diana, but at the end of the day, she was William's beloved mother, and that's obviously the perspective from which he views her.

Yep and they shouldn't have to shy away from her name. Her relationship with Charles and the monarchy is separate from her role as the mother of those boys. I give credit to Charles and the Queen for the way they handled things AFTER the funeral....it's obvious the boys feel very comfortable mentioning their mother and being involved in her charities etc.

LaRae

I can't believe some of the ignorant and mean comments on Facebook surrounding the name:

Here one comments

"I agree with Juanita......I was also hoping for Diana Elizabeth. I just can't imagine William allowing his daughter to be named after the man, his father, who was ultimately responsible for his mother's death with his being unfaithful."

Umm Charles was not responsible for Diana death. they chose the name they wanted! Also some said it should have been Diana or Elizabeth or Elizabeth should not have been included at all. Another was That the queen would have had a fit if her name was not included.

OH PLEASE GIVE ME A BREAK!

What a beautiful name and I'm glad Diana and the queen got a nod!

Queen Sophie Dorothea in Prussia is only Princess of Hannover not of Great Britain as she marred before her father became birtish King. And shed died in 1757 not in 1726.

It is a very cute name. Charlotte means free man, Elizabeth means oath, Diana means divine. Seriously those are the meanings. I guess you could change it to mean free the feminine to go. So, yeah, those names, are a nice combo. We had a Charlotte in my family also, a long time ago. It's a name old enough to be fond of like the names Hattie or Maud, Clarabelle, even Dorothy, names of long ago .

Last edited:
:bang:William is too predictable. Now let him deny that they selected this name for no reason other than they liked the names.

So many people knew this would be the name. William trying to appeal to the masses rather than being original.

Do not like the name. Do not care for Charlotte or Diana. Elizabeth was a given.

The only redeeming part of Charlotte is it is a girl's name that has a male nickname. So it is Georgie and Charlie.

Also Catherine continues her family tradition of the C first name with Elizabeth middle name.

I would have preferred a Francesca rather than a Diana and an Alexandra rather than a Charlotte.

Alexandra Elizabeth Francesca.

Well maybe Harry will show some originality.

Last edited:
I can't believe some of the ignorant and mean comments on Facebook surrounding the name:

Here one comments

"I agree with Juanita......I was also hoping for Diana Elizabeth. I just can't imagine William allowing his daughter to be named after the man, his father, who was ultimately responsible for his mother's death with his being unfaithful."

Umm Charles was not responsible for Diana death. they chose the name they wanted! Also some said it should have been Diana or Elizabeth or Elizabeth should not have been included at all. Another was That the queen would have had a fit if her name was not included.

OH PLEASE GIVE ME A BREAK!

What i don't understand is that while these people are often Diana-fans, they don't mind insulting her sons and if there's one thing that i'm pretty sure Diana wouldn't have liked, it's people doing that, as her boys were very important to her (and she to them)....

Very sad that people feel they need to say things like this

I don't think Charlotte was chosen as a tribute to Charles I think it was chosen because they liked it. If they wanted to represent Charles directly they could have put it in as one of George's names.

Back
Top Bottom