The Birth of HRH Prince Louis of Cambridge: April 23, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Louis might not be my fav name (I would've liked Arthur as a first name), but I don't find it weird to have one of George's name has the new prince's main name. I share my second middle name which is Sofia with two of my cousins. My mom is called Ana and her sister (my aunt) is Ana too!!! (though they have different middle names and are known by those middle names). George might have Louis, but he is called George and Louis will be called Louis, so it's not confusing and it's not weird, and name sharing happens all the time.

Last edited:
name sharing happens all the time.

I think [in my experience] that it is more usual in 'Mediterranean' Countries, and in South America.
However it is very unusual in the UK. Family 'favourites' are passed down the generations, very often [My Maternal Great-Grandmother, Grandmother, my Mother and my Sister all have or had 'Elizabeth' somewhere in their name] , but siblings rarely share a name, in any order.

Its very common in the royal family... since names are used to honour relatives.. like you have Andrew Albert Christian Edward, and then Prince Edward.. Then there is James Philip Alexander Theo.. and William Arthur Philip Louis.....and of couse the name Elizabeth has been given to nearly most of the Q's granddaughters....

No it isn't. Andrew was named after his father who was Andrew or Andrea.....
Can't see Prince Philip naming his son after a father that put his mother in an Asylum and abandoned him to be shunted among his relatives while going off to live with his latest mistress.
We see the same in Russia and other countries:

Anna Pavlovna Romanova (Anna, the daughter of Pavel Romanov)

Alexey Nicholaevich Romanov (Alexey, the son of Nicholas Romanov)

Maria Vladimirovna Romanova (Maria, the daughter of Vladimir Romanov)

Konstantinos Pavlos of Greece (Constantine, the son of Paul of Greece)

Philippos Andreas of Greece (Philip, the son of Andrew of Greece)

No it isn't. Andrew was named after his father who was Andrew or Andrea.....

Some people here have very old-fashioned ideas. The British Royal Family has moved on from the old days when monarchs overruled family members over names.

Well, I've always thought the Queen should have overruled Edward, when he named his son James.

James is a regnal name, which might be needed for the direct line.

I think the Cambridges might have chosen that, if it hadn't already been in use.

So to be on the safe side, when/if P.Harry has kids he shouldn't choose any name that a king could use? So he should stick with the "Buddy bear", "Saint" and "Honeyblossom" school of children's names?

I don't see the fuzz with using a name that was already in use, the Duke of Kent is called Edward and he wasn't close that to reigning either...

So to be on the safe side, when/if P.Harry has kids he shouldn't choose any name that a king could use? So he should stick with the "Buddy bear", "Saint" and "Honeyblossom" school of children's names?

I don't see the fuzz with using a name that was already in use, the Duke of Kent is called Edward and he wasn't close that to reigning either...
For all the trouble KP went to, all the US media outlets insist on calling Louis, Lewis. It just sounds so odd!

Can't see Prince Philip naming his son after a father that put his mother in an Asylum and abandoned him to be shunted among his relatives while going off to live with his latest mistress.

Then why was Andrew called Andrew? No other reason for it....

Maybe they just liked the name .

I really don't get the fuss about Louis being one of George's names . How often will George be called George Alexander Louis instead of just George ?

Can't see Prince Philip naming his son after a father that put his mother in an Asylum and abandoned him to be shunted among his relatives while going off to live with his latest mistress

I have been told by friends who are Greek that the tradition is to name a child for one of its grandparents. The first two children had at least one name associated with two of their grandparents. By the time their third child was born, the Queen and DoE might have felt it was time to name their second son for his paternal grandfather.?

If Andrew wasn’t named after his grandfather, as Kramer on Seinfeld would say, that’s a “big coincidence”

I have been told by friends who are Greek that the tradition is to name a child for one of its grandparents. The first two children had at least one name associated with two of their grandparents. By the time their third child was born, the Queen and DoE might have felt it was time to name their second son for his paternal grandfather.?

I think it is pretty obvious.. Charles as the first son was going to have "English" names apart from Philip after his father, and Anne was called Alice after Phil's mother... and when they had Andrew it seems obvious that they chose it after P's father... And Anne's Son, Peter was called "Peter Mark Andrew" probably because they wanted to use "Philp" in honour of her father but were n't going to called him "Peter Mark Philip Phillips."

I'm astonished that after 2 sons and 6 names between them that Michael has never been in there. But then I was also stunned that, bearing in mind all the help that she gives William and Kate, Carole was left out of Charlotte's name too. I don't care for arguments linking this name or that either, Carole and Michael should be there straightforwardly just as Diana and Charles are.

Last edited:
The children do have Middleton names whether people like the names or not. Carole and Mike also have two other children who won’t be tied to royal convention as Catherine is when naming their kids.

Maybe Pippa wants to call her eventual son Michael?

Well, I've always thought the Queen should have overruled Edward, when he named his son James.

James is a regnal name, which might be needed for the direct line.

I think the Cambridges might have chosen that, if it hadn't already been in use.

I think they would avoid it like the plague. James brings up too many difficulties with regnal number (it differs between England/Wales and Scotland) and the Jacobite pretenders.

As for "needed" for the direct line - there are plenty of names that are dignified enough for a monarch. I do not believe that there is any rule that the name of an heir must have a regnal precedent. If anyone knows different, I would be most interested to see proof of it.

In any case there would be no issue with more than one person in the family having the same forename.

ETA: That said, with Kate having a brother and now also a brother-in-law called James, that might be more than enough of them for now!

Last edited:
The name Louis is growing on me but I still much prefer Arthur.

I don't see why the Queen should not have allowed Edward and Sophie to use James for their son just so William could use it. There are plenty of other regnant names to choose from when the time came to William naming his son.

Last edited:
The children do have Middleton names whether people like the names or not. Carole and Mike also have two other children who won’t be tied to royal convention as Catherine is when naming their kids.

There is enough room in royal convention to allow for Kate's family to be there as well. Arthur could easily have made way for Michael as there is no one in William's immediate family who even has that as a first name.

They do have some of Kate's family names in the kids names...and evidently it is okay with Kate since she was part of picking their names.

LaRae

The name is good in my book. I would have loved something a little different, but not my kid lol.

Its very common in the royal family... since names are used to honour relatives.. like you have Andrew Albert Christian Edward, and then Prince Edward.. Then there is James Philip Alexander Theo.. and William Arthur Philip Louis.....and of couse the name Elizabeth has been given to nearly most of the Q's granddaughters....

Most of your examples aren't siblings. Sharing middle names between cousins is different.

Indeed Edward shares his name with Andrew - but that's 2 generations ago (and in that case 2 out of 12 names are shared; instead of 2 out 6).

Among the granddaughtees there is only one who isn't also Elizabeth and that's exactly because her older sister already has Elizabeth as a middle name.

There is enough room in royal convention to allow for Kate's family to be there as well. Arthur could easily have made way for Michael as there is no one in William's immediate family who even has that as a first name.

Or James or William. Royal names that are also found in the Middleton family (her brother is James William).

Maybe Pippa wants to call her eventual son Michael?

Having Michael as a middle name would surely not be a problem. They aren't siblings (and we've seen that even that is considered no reason to not use the name a second time).

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlotte and Carole are derivatives of the same name, with the male equivalent being Charles.

The difference is that Charlotte is a very Royal name and Carole is not. I am frankly relieved that the Cambridges passed it up.

Pippa or James can honor their mother if they choose to do so.

Caroline is a royal name though. I think the difficulty with Carol(e) is that it is the male form of Charles in some countries, so it's ambiguous. Perhaps that's why it is sometimes spelled with an e at the end, so at least the written form is clearer. Like Simon and Simone.

:previous: Exactly so. And I would have been perfectly happy with Caroline ..it is a Royal name borne by at least two English queens and it honors the PoW to boot

Charlotte and Carole are derivatives of the same name, with the male equivalent being Charles.

The difference is that Charlotte is a very Royal name and Carole is not. I am frankly relieved that the Cambridges passed it up.

Pippa or James can honor their mother if they choose to do so.

Apparently, either the Cambridges thought it necessary to name Charles twice but if they considered Charlotte the female form of Charles their wouldn't have been a need to include his name in Louis's name (and it's a different situation from using a name that was previously a middle name as a first name - in this case the name already had the most prominent name as a first name and was now only added as a middle name).

For all the trouble KP went to, all the US media outlets insist on calling Louis, Lewis. It just sounds so odd!

Probably because it would never be pronounced the French way here in the US unless referring to a French, Haitian or other French-derived person.

There is one major opinion I have about their children that I will never discuss, but I do think 2/3 of the names they used are good. Unfortunately certain people in the BRF have to use the old dated names and seeing as how William and Kate essentially were forced to choose those types of names I think they chose some good ones. At least they steered away from stinkers like Charles, Anne, Mary, Margaret, Henry (sorry Harry) or Edward.

I think that Louis, pronounced as in French, sounds pedantic (at least in North America) and runs against the image of the "cool, fun younger brother" that Harry and Andrew (in his old days) had.

Of course, younger brothers don't necessarily have to follow the stereotype that applied to Harry or Andrew. Sometimes, the younger brother is actually the serious, "brainy" one, as was the case perhaps with Prince Friso in the Netherlands. In any case, French "Louis" sounds too aristocratic in English to be a name the broader public can relate to. I may be wrong of course as that may not be the case in Britain.

Sorry but I have heard Louis pronounced the French way many times in the US.

Michael should have been a name if not Carole or Caroline. And it wouldn't be a problem if Michael was a second name but Pippa used it as a first name. It's really quite sad that her dad has mostly been forgotten.

When I say WnK were forced to name their kids certain ways I mean no one would allow them to name their children non royal but still traditional British names.

Sorry but I have heard Louis pronounced the French way many times in the US. .

In Lousiana perhaps (where there is a French-speaking minority), or in Maine (that borders Quebec) ? Just kidding, but I guess no one pronounces for example St. Louis or Louis Armstrong the French way. Sometimes you get "Lewis" as in English or, more rarely, "Louie" with a silent 's', but not "Looee" with strong stress on the final syllable as in French.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom