The Birth of HRH Prince Louis of Cambridge: April 23, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i wouldn't say it is my favourite, but louis is a strong royal name. i was also puzzled because louis is already in george's name so i thought they'd choose something else. arthur, i was not very keen on, but i am glad they found a spot for charles there.

I think this is a fitting tribute to the wee Prince Louis:

I'm actually quite surprised at the name, since Louis is one of George's middle names. They must really like the name then? I can't say it's my favorite, but then again, it's not my child!

Nice name! Even though I don't care much for Arthur, I can live with that name. I especially like the link that was created. All male Cambridges are linked by the name Louis, while Cathrine and Charlotte are linked by the name Elizabeth. I wonder, if the will ever be a number 4 if they would use those name again to continue these links. Maybe we never know, but I like this idea.

Very regal names:

HRH Prince George Alexander Louis of Cambridge
HRH Princess Charlotte Elizabeth Diana of Cambridge
HRH Prince Louis Arthur Charles of Cambridge

Very befitting their position as (grand)sons and siblings to future Kings.

The 's' is silent.

NEVER had a Prince Louis before in the United Kingdom, so the Cambridge's , so often slated as 'unoriginal', have 'broken new ground' indeed.

Yes, they really surprised us! They reused Louis (one of George's names) and honored Charles once again (as they did with Charlotte), contrary to what many of us predicted. Completely unexpected!

Yeah I never quite understood it because Louis is kinda-sorta a Hanoverian name, except that the person is named Ludwig in German but then in Britain the name gets remade into the French sounding Louis.

You're right, George I was George Louis and Frederick Prince of Wales was Frederick Louis (usually spelled Lewis).

I like the name, it sounds very regal!

I do think it’s a shame that Michael wasn’t included. However Mr Middleton seems like the type of quiet and unassuming gentleman who wouldn’t mind.

Louis has been quite popular in recent years, sitting comfortably within the top 100 names.

I'm pleased they didn't choose any of the more well-worn names. It would have been refreshing if they'd gone for a completely new name though.

Still, everybody can have fun singing "Louie Louie" now. ?

Last edited:
I am wondering if Phillip is going to be used by Zara (or Harry) and that's why it's left unused at this point.

LaRae

I think that’s a possibility.

IIRC did Mary of Teck have a brother (Louis) who was given the Cambridge title?

LaRae

He was named Adolphus and in 1917 when had to renounce the Teck title was given the Title Marques of Cambridge.

IIRC did Mary of Teck have a brother (Louis) who was given the Cambridge title?

LaRae

Yes, Queen Mary's brother Adolphus Charles Alexander Albert Edward George Philip Louis Ladislaus of Teck (known by his first name, nicknamed "Dolly") was created Marquess of Cambridge and also took Cambridge as his surname.

I like the name, it sounds very regal!

I do think it’s a shame that Michael wasn’t included. However Mr Middleton seems like the type of quiet and unassuming gentleman who wouldn’t mind.

Yes, I'm also disappointed Michael wasn't included.

Do we know where the Charlotte in Pippa Middleton's name comes from?

I'm wondering, given the lack of any Middleton nods in this name, if Charlotte is actually named after the person that Pippa's middle name comes from? (I hope I explained that well!)

Then George would be named after William's side, Charlotte from Catherine's, and then Louis from William's...

Yes, Queen Mary's brother Adolphus Charles Alexander Albert Edward George Philip Louis Ladislaus of Teck (known by his first name, nicknamed "Dolly") was created Marquess of Cambridge and also took Cambridge as his surname.

It's interesting to see all the ties ...I think Mountbatten was a great grandson of Queen Victoria right?

I do think it's neat that all 4 (so far!) of them share in that name. Charles, William, George and now Louis.

LaRae

Okay, here's what happened.

Madeleine and Christopher threw down a challenge when they named Adriane.

"We challenge you to find another name the will keep the The Royal Forums busy for a week debating how it will be properly pronounced."

William and Kate: "We accept"

?

For some reason when I saw Louis the first person I thought of was Lord Mountbatten and thought perhaps that was a nod to Phillip. Probably not but I was really thinking Phillip would be the name and that was in the back of my mind.

Why all that guess who is named after who? The parents like it. See Sweden: Estelle, Nicholas, Alexander, Gabriel. Ultimately it is what the parents like.

Although the current monarch, House of Windsor, is not directly related to the House of Stuart, keep in mind that HM Queen Henrietta Maria of England; wife of HM King Charles I of England, mother of HM King Charles II of England and of James II of England, grandmother of HM Queen Mary II, and Queen Anne, was born SAR Princesse Marie Henriette de France, daughter of King Henri IV, first Bourbon King of France, Sister of King Louis XIII, and Aunt of King Louis XIV the Sun King. She is the one who introduced the custom to title the first daughter of the monarch, Princess Royal, because at the court of france the first daughter of the monarch was title Madame Royale.

In fact her first daughter HRH Princess Mary, was the first Princess Royal. HRH Princess Mary's son married Queen Mary II and went on to reign as William III of England. Her younger daughter HRH Princess Henrietta of England, married HRH Prince Philippe of France, Duke of Orleans, bother of King Louis XIV and founder of the House of Orleans, a cadet branch of the House of Bourbon. After the death of Charles I, Queen Henrietta Maria and her daughter Henrietta, lived at Palais Royal, the Official Residence of the Duke of Orleans, next to the Louvre.

Though i am stretching it a bit, the link to France is there if one want to look for it. But this boy is mainly named Louis like his father after Earl Louis Mountbatten, who was assassinated by the IRA and was very close to Prince Charles.

Last edited:
Why all that guess who is named after who? The parents like it. See Sweden: Estelle, Nicholas, Alexander, Gabriel. Ultimately it is what the parents like.

Because in the British Royal Family the names are usually connected to past members if the RF. Par example, Eugenie Victoria Helena is named after Victoria Eugenie of Spain and Princess Helena of Schleswig-Holstein. You can find a connection in every name pratically.

What an interesting choice! All three of those were names that I had thought might be possibilities, but not in that order.

I'm assuming that Louis is a nod to Dickie Mountbatten, who had such a huge influence on Charles (whether that's a good thing might be open to debate, but, oh well), but it still seems like an unexpected choice.

Isn't it fun that after pages and pages of speculation on this forum, the Duke and Duchess were able to surprise us?

It's a good name!

Louis is quite a surprise - being already used in George's middle names.

Im not sure i overly like the combo.

Maybe there is a very simple reason why they haven't included the names of Mr. Middleton. I know I would have a problem with the names of my father because I really am not font of both of them. I would include the firstname if I had to, but I rather would talk to him and tell him the truth. And my dad would be more happy for me to be honest than he would push for one of his names. Maybe Catherine hade the same feelings about her fathers names and that is the reason they're not included.

Yes, they really surprised us! They reused Louis (one of George's names) and honored Charles once again (as they did with Charlotte), contrary to what many of us predicted. Completely unexpected!

Charles (Philip Arthur George) is actually honered in all his three grandchildren which I think is a nice gesture to the future king.

Last edited:
The 's' is silent.

NEVER had a Prince Louis before in the United Kingdom, so the Cambridge's , so often slated as 'unoriginal', have 'broken new ground' indeed.

But Louis, Earl Mountbatten of Burma, the emblematic figure in the lives of the Duke of Edinburgh and the Prince of Wales, would have been a Prince of Battenberg, if the Battenbergs hadn't renounced their German names and titles out of loyalty to King George and the United Kingdom, so it's a name that runs in the family, and which brings memories of someone so dear to William's father and grandfather. I was hoping they would choose this name and I'm really glad they did!

Isn't it fun that after pages and pages of speculation on this forum, the Duke and Duchess were able to surprise us?

It's a good name!

Personally, i think that's why it took so long for the name to be announced; they had to browse all the pages here first ?

I would never have guessed the names, but i like them (and i like P.Charles getting a mention).

Maybe P.Philip is one of those people who says to his family "i don't care what you do after i'm dead, but while i'm still here, don't name your kids after me" ;)

Although the current monarch, House of Windsor, is not directly related to the House of Stuart

I would call a direct descendant someone who is 'directly related'.

The Queen's claim to the throne comes from her descent from the Stuarts - James I and VI and back from him to Mary Queen of Scots and from there back through Stuarts and Tudors to Plantagenets and Normans.

She isn't descended from Charles I onwards but the present BRF are direct descendants of the first Stuart King of England whose daughter was the mother of the Electress Sophia of Hanover.

Back
Top Bottom