The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-29-2018, 02:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
No it is not. Again, listen to "Louie" (spelled like that) on Google Translator using English as a source language, and to "Louis" using French as source language. In the French pronunciaton, the stress is in the last syllable and the final vowel is longer.

My undestanding is that the prince will be known as "Louie" in the British English pronunciation.

PS: If you listen to "Louis" on Google Translator using English as a source language, you will get the American pronunciation "Lewis".
Well maybe you could leave to a French to judge how you could spell a name ... in French ?
Louie and Louis are pronunciated the exact same way in French. aka the pronunciaton "Louie" in English (according to Google Translator).

Old 04-29-2018, 02:24 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Well maybe you could leave to a French to judge how you could spell a name ... in French ?
Louie and Louis are pronunciated the exact same way in French. aka the pronunciaton "Louie" in English (according to Google Translator).
My point is that Louie in English is not pronounced as Louis in French. And I stand by that statement, which is confirmed by the audio function on Google Translator provided that you select the right source language.

Incidentally, I didn't say anything about how Louis should be spelled in French.

https://translate.google.com/#en/fr/Louie

https://translate.google.com/#fr/en/Louis

Old 04-29-2018, 02:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
My point is that Louie in English is not pronounced as Louis in French. And I stand by that statement, which is confirmed by the audio function on Google Translator provided that you select the right source language.

Incidentally, I didn't say anything about how Louis should be spelled in French.
It's called a foreign accent, if it's pronounced or not. Frankly it's more or less the same ...
Nitpicking as its best.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:26 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Breaking up this debacle; but I just found a sweet photo of George and Charlotte getting out of the car with William whilst visiting baby Louis at the Lindo Wing on Monday:

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/2b/83/bb/2...8aff2b0aab.jpg

I hadn't seen it before so thought I'd share

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 04-29-2018, 05:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Breaking up this debacle; but I just found a sweet photo of George and Charlotte getting out of the car with William whilst visiting baby Louis at the Lindo Wing on Monday:

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/2b/83/bb/2...8aff2b0aab.jpg

I hadn't seen it before so thought I'd share
That's a very cute photo, thanks for sharing. It makes me think that soon William will take 3 kids out of his car his hands will be full...or...needing a third hand
BTW, tuesday or wednesday we will get the birthday picture of Charlotte, right? They have been posting George and Charlotte's birthday photos since they were born, so I'll be expecting one of Charlotte's 3rd birthday. How time flies!
Old 04-29-2018, 06:04 PM
Majesty

Is Prince Louis Prince Louis Windsor or is he Prince Louis Mountbatten-Windsor?
Old 04-29-2018, 06:09 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Mbruno wasn't suggesting the name was hard to pronounce, or uncommon in the UK. Or too French.

He was suggesting it was 'pedantic' aka formal/boring. It seems a bit stuffy compared to Harry.

Charles was the stiff formal name of the heir, Andrew a bit more casual (Andy). William was the more formal name of the heir, Harry got a permanent nickname publically from birth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frideswide View Post
No, he was suggesting that using the French pronunciation was pedantic, not the name. And it emerged that he meant authentic French ("Lwee") rather than just "Lou-ee".

Your perception of the name is your own, of course, but I doubt many Britons would think Louis formal or stuffy. It's enjoyed a recent spell of popularity here so has a youthful image just now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Small correction......its not my opinion of the name Never said it was. I actually like the name Louis (though not as much a fan of it as a 1st name for a British prince).

It was my interpretation of what Mbruno said. Of his opinion of the name When people use the term 'pedantic' for name, it means old fashioned/stuffy/over learned and so on.

Mbruno was comparing the names of three generations of 2nd sons (Andrew, Harry, Louis). Not the pronunciation of the names.

As for your names having come back into popularity...yes in response to the years of people naming kids Jayden, Aiden, Payton, Frayden, Kayden, and every other variation, going back to 'classic' names has become popular.
Where to start ....

When I said "Your perception of the name is your own", I meant exactly that, no more, no less. I was not attributing anyone else's opinion to you.

"Pedantic" does NOT mean old fashioned or stuffy. It means schoolmasterly, and by extension nitpicking. Being pedantic over the pronunciation of Louis is not being critical of the name in itself, merely of the way the name is said.

Your comment about the names Charles, Andrew, William and Harry reads as if it is your own view.

As for your final comment (I assume we are discussing names in England & Wales, as this is the relevant context). I can't agree that classic names in general have come "back into popularity". They are perennially popular as a type, although there is ebb and flow within the classic genre. And that is not in "response" to names like Jayden et al. It is just a matter of taste. There are people who like long-established names and there are others who prefer modern names.

Incidentally Aiden (or Aidan) is the anglicised version of a very old Irish name. I was born in the 1950s and had a playmate named Aidan, so it's not new.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
I believe all of them (Harry/William etc) are Mountbatten-Windsors.

LaRae
Old 04-29-2018, 06:26 PM
Majesty

They are all Prince/ss of Cambridge. Titled royals don’t use a surname except for legal purposes.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:19 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Louis doesn't have a surname. He is just HRH Prince Louis Arthur Charles of Cambridge.

If he ever needed to use a surname for legal purposes, it would be Mountbatten-Windsor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frideswide View Post
Where to start ....

"Pedantic" does NOT mean old fashioned or stuffy. It means schoolmasterly, and by extension nitpicking. Being pedantic over the pronunciation of Louis is not being critical of the name in itself, merely of the way the name is said.
For the record, since I was mentioned in the discussion, Frideswide's interpretation of what I wrote is correct. I don't think that the name Louis is old-fashioned, but rather that pronouncing it as in French would sound pedantic in an English-speaking country. Pronouncing it as "Louie" as the Brits pronounce Louis Tomlinson's name for example is OK.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:31 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Neither. You don't use a surname with the title of Prince.. in the UK....
Old 04-30-2018, 07:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

They do have have to use their surname when it comes to legal matters. So yes in that sense they are Mountbatten-Windsor.

LaRae
Old 04-30-2018, 07:50 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
They do have have to use their surname when it comes to legal matters. So yes in that sense they are Mountbatten-Windsor.

LaRae
He doesn't really need it inside the UK properly. I know that Anne and, I think, Andrew used a surname in their marriage certificates, but they didn't have to. All documents of William's children (birth certificates, marriage certificates, passports, etc.) can be issued without a surname and, at school/university or in the Armed Forces, they will probably be enrolled/known simply as [xxx] Cambridge, or later Wales. William only used a surname when he had to file a lawsuit in France.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post

LaRae

George goes to school as George Cambridge, though.
So this little boy will be Louis Cambridge, at least while the Queen is alive.

After that, I guess the surname will be Wales?
Old 04-30-2018, 08:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
He doesn't really need it inside the UK properly. I know that Anne and, I think, Andrew used a surname in their marriage certificates, but they didn't have to. All documents of William's children (birth certificates, marriage certificates, passports, etc.) can be issued without a surname and, at school/university or in the Armed Forces, they will probably be enrolled/known simply as [xxx] Cambridge, or later Wales. William only used a surname when he had to file a lawsuit in France.
No one said they had to use it. That wasn't the question. The question was do they have a surname and yes they do IF THEY NEED IT.

LaRae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post

I think the Cambridge children will change to Wales (for school etc) once William is the PoW.

LaRae
Old 04-30-2018, 08:35 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post

The title of Prince of Wales is not inheritable. If and when Charles accedes to the throne, it will merge with the Crown. It may be granted to William as the monarch's eldest son, but it does not follow automatically.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:38 AM
Heir Apparent

But what is exactly written tp their passport ? Once I saw a pic of late Pcs Diana's passport and it was written in the cover 'HRH the Princess of wales', I don't know inside.
So their full title should appear, no?
And why Mountbatten? Does it come from the Prince of Edinburgh ? But he is Prince of Greece and UK? I know that when he married then Princess Elisabeth, he abandoned his rights to the Greek throne, but did he abandon his name also ?
Old 04-30-2018, 08:57 AM
Heir Apparent

If and when Louis needs a surname for legal purposes, in his marriage registry for example, he will use Mountbatten-Windsor. If and when he needs a surname for daily purposes, for example at school, he will use Cambridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
And why Mountbatten? Does it come from the Prince of Edinburgh ? But he is Prince of Greece and UK? I know that when he married then Princess Elisabeth, he abandoned his rights to the Greek throne, but did he abandon his name also ?
Philip was naturalized in the name of Mountbatten, the family name of his mother. When he was a Prince of Greece he had no legal surname, but used "of Greece" as a surname for daily purposes.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:22 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
To clear up the matter of a surname, here is the Letters Patent issued by The Queen in 1960.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...41948/data.pdf
Old 04-30-2018, 10:04 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
But what is exactly written tp their passport ? Once I saw a pic of late Pcs Diana's passport and it was written in the cover 'HRH the Princess of wales', I don't know inside.
So their full title should appear, no?
HE was was required to forfeit both his name and his title. He took his uncle's name, Mountbatten and became plain Mr Philip Mountbatten.