The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-29-2018, 02:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

Mbruno wasn't suggesting the name was hard to pronounce, or uncommon in the UK. Or too French.

He was suggesting it was 'pedantic' aka formal/boring. It seems a bit stuffy compared to Harry.

Charles was the stiff formal name of the heir, Andrew a bit more casual (Andy). William was the more formal name of the heir, Harry got a permanent nickname publically from birth.

Old 04-29-2018, 03:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
The good thing is that the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge don't need to really bother with how the American audience might perceive their choice of name for one of their children.

From a London / UK perspective, Louis is a not-uncommon name, pronounced Loo-ee. Don't see many her struggle with the name, or see it as particularly French either.
And not to forget that the Crown has a large French-speaking community in the realms. I am happy that French is not seen as something absolutely to avoid.

Old 04-29-2018, 07:13 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Mbruno wasn't suggesting the name was hard to pronounce, or uncommon in the UK. Or too French.

He was suggesting it was 'pedantic' aka formal/boring. It seems a bit stuffy compared to Harry.

Charles was the stiff formal name of the heir, Andrew a bit more casual (Andy). William was the more formal name of the heir, Harry got a permanent nickname publically from birth.
No, he was suggesting that using the French pronunciation was pedantic, not the name. And it emerged that he meant authentic French ("Lwee") rather than just "Lou-ee".

Your perception of the name is your own, of course, but I doubt many Britons would think Louis formal or stuffy. It's enjoyed a recent spell of popularity here so has a youthful image just now.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:40 AM
Heir Apparent

I personally know two teenagers [aged 13 and 15 respectively] named Louis, so the name has been fairly popular for some time.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:11 AM
Majesty

It certainly seemed popular around I'd say early 90s... and It seems as if Will and K like the name...
Old 04-29-2018, 08:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frideswide View Post
No, he was suggesting that using the French pronunciation was pedantic, not the name. And it emerged that he meant authentic French ("Lwee") rather than just "Lou-ee"
Frankly, from a French perspective, it's exactly the same (and pronunciated the same way)...
Some people are reading too much into this ...
Old 04-29-2018, 08:21 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Frankly, from a French perspective, it's exactly the same (and pronunciated the same way)...
Merci!

I must admit that I couldn't hear any difference in the way it was spoken by the three people in the wedding vow clip.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:21 AM
Courtier

I couldn't tell the difference either.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:39 AM
Courtier

Did Jobson claim that he heard from KP the name was chosen as a tribute to Earl Mountbatten?
Old 04-29-2018, 10:44 AM
Nobility

In this day and age I am sure the Royals choose first and foremost names that they LIKE. If it also comprises a compliment to a family member past or present, that'll be a bonus.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:53 AM
Majesty

It's a bit suspisious though that they only like royal names... I am sure they won't give a child a name they don't like but I don't think likeability is the only consideration.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:03 PM
Majesty

Let’s say Kate’s dad’s name was Bryan. Are we going to see a Prince Bryan?

George for a future king is perfect, Charlotte is regal as a daughter’s name, it’s also one of Pippa’s names

Louis is a popular name with very strong connections to Philip’s side of the family.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Its just as valid to suppose that the Cambridge kids grew very fond of an obscure cartoon character called "Louie the Lobster" and that was part of the reason they named the new sibling Louis.

We'll never know the whys and wherefores of the name in total or what considerations they even had as alternate names.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:28 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
It's a bit suspisious though that they only like royal names... I am sure they won't give a child a name they don't like but I don't think likeability is the only consideration.
I didn't say it was. But like many ordinary British citizens, they seem to like names that are both traditional and currently fashionable. The only name so far that isn't really fashionable is Diana, and William's mother's early death guaranteed its inclusion.

BTW I've always thought it strange that Diana never became a popular name after she came to prominence. It's a lovely name, classic and timeless, but has never really been trendy.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
strange that Diana never became a popular name
You're right, but it had never occurred to me before, but I know of only one Diana, and she is 83 years old !
Old 04-29-2018, 12:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
You're right, but it had never occurred to me before, but I know of only one Diana, and she is 83 years old !
I know of one Diana - she's 19 years old. Not sure if her parents named her for the late Princess of Wales or if it is a family name or just because they liked it.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
Diana is also not a traditional 'royal' name.
No, but it has a very strong Spencer Churchill aristocratic affiliation, thus it made perfect sense for William and Kate to choose it.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 04-29-2018, 12:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
So much baggage with that form of the name because of Princess Diana. I know no Diana's, but I do know Diane's.

Interestingly, I actually know at least three Camilla's, and one Camille.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frideswide View Post
No, he was suggesting that using the French pronunciation was pedantic, not the name. And it emerged that he meant authentic French ("Lwee") rather than just "Lou-ee".

Your perception of the name is your own, of course, but I doubt many Britons would think Louis formal or stuffy. It's enjoyed a recent spell of popularity here so has a youthful image just now.
Small correction......its not my opinion of the name Never said it was. I actually like the name Louis (though not as much a fan of it as a 1st name for a British prince).

It was my interpretation of what Mbruno said. Of his opinion of the name When people use the term 'pedantic' for name, it means old fashioned/stuffy/over learned and so on.

Mbruno was comparing the names of three generations of 2nd sons (Andrew, Harry, Louis). Not the pronunciation of the names.

As for your names having come back into popularity...yes in response to the years of people naming kids Jayden, Aiden, Payton, Frayden, Kayden, and every other variation, going back to 'classic' names has become popular.

Quote:
Let’s say Kate’s dad’s name was Bryan. Are we going to see a Prince Bryan?

George for a future king is perfect, Charlotte is regal as a daughter’s name, it’s also one of Pippa’s names

Louis is a popular name with very strong connections to Philip’s side of the family.
No one suggested that they had to use it as a first name. No, if her father was named Brian, that wouldn't have made much of a first name for a future king. But these kids do have three names, and Brian, or Michael, would have made a lovely middle name.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:07 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Some people are reading too much into this ...
No it is not. Again, listen to "Louie" (spelled like that) on Google Translator using English as a source language, and to "Louis" using French as source language. In the French pronunciaton, the stress is in the last syllable and the final vowel is longer.

My undestanding is that the prince will be known as "Louie" in the British English pronunciation.

PS: If you listen to "Louis" on Google Translator using English as a source language, you will get the American pronunciation "Lewis".