The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-28-2018, 08:42 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
No it isn't. Andrew was named after his father who was Andrew or Andrea.....
If you read the other posts it's already been addressed.

LaRae

Old 04-28-2018, 09:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marlboro View Post
I seem to look at the names by how they flow when you say them out loud. For example, with Queen Elizabeth, there is a nice rhythm and flow from Elizabeth to Alexandra to Mary. The same with Charles and Anne. George's name flows fairly well. Charlotte's starts out ok but the Diana at the end seems choppy. Louis' name doesn't flow at all. It is just all chopped up. But, he isn't my child, so it isn't my decision.
They are naming a child not writing a sonnet.

Old 04-28-2018, 09:04 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Isn't it Charles Philip Arthur George?

I didn't think Louis was one of the POW's names.
Exactly. Prince Louis shares only 2 names with his grandfather (Arthur and Charles) as well as two with his father (Louis and Arthur).
Old 04-28-2018, 09:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHDuchessofAlbany View Post
I was gonna say the same thing. I'll be brutally honest. I don't like the name Louis and it has to do with the french version. I kinda like the Spanish way but even so. I haven't liked any off the names the Cambridges have given their children. I find them to be very old fashioned, like Myrtle lol.
There is one major opinion I have about their children that I will never discuss, but I do think 2/3 of the names they used are good. Unfortunately certain people in the BRF have to use the old dated names and seeing as how William and Kate essentially were forced to choose those types of names I think they chose some good ones. At least they steered away from stinkers like Charles, Anne, Mary, Margaret, Henry (sorry Harry) or Edward.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
For me, it matters very little where all the names for a child come from and who they were. What is most important is that its *his* name and it is up to the little prince to spend a lifetime defining that name as his own.

Although I do think that the name "Louis" being shared between brothers in some way is a opportunity for a bond from the very beginning. Especially for an almost 5 year old to have something to "share" with his brother. I do think that the Cambridges are smart enough to help the bonding with the new sibling out in subtle ways. But then again, I don't know the parents at all.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:17 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
There is one major opinion I have about their children that I will never discuss, but I do think 2/3 of the names they used are good. Unfortunately certain people in the BRF have to use the old dated names and seeing as how William and Kate essentially were forced to choose those types of names I think they chose some good ones. At least they steered away from stinkers like Charles, Anne, Mary, Margaret, Henry (sorry Harry) or Edward.
they were not likely to use names that were already in use.. like Charles, Anne, Henry etc.. but I can't see how using these names, which are good solid classic English and royal names are "stinkers!"....
Old 04-28-2018, 09:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

There’s no way of knowing whether they felt somewhat forced to stay completely traditional or whether that fits their own inclinations anyway.

Looking at Kate’s family, they pick pretty traditional names too. Maybe she and William LIKE traditional names. There’s no doubt in my mind they must really like Louis. They used it twice. Charlotte is her own sister’s middle name. Elizabeth is hers and her mother’s.

Same things goes with how Kate dresses and how her children dresses. Fairly traditional, classic- though definitely with some experimenting here and there.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:54 AM
Nobility

Quote:
How do you know they were "forced" to use any names? All the names that they have given their children are currently popular in England/Wales (except Diana!) so none of them are "dated".

Some people here have very old-fashioned ideas. The British Royal Family has moved on from the old days when monarchs overruled family members over names. I'm sure advice may be offered, and if it is wise advice it will be taken, but William and Kate are sensible enough to know which names might be unsuitable for various reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
There’s no doubt in my mind they must really like Louis. They used it twice.
Case in point! They probably felt that Louis is too closely associated with the kings of France (18 of them!) to be appropriate as a first name for the heir. For a third child it is a different matter.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Have Charles or the Queen visited their new grandson/great grandson yet?
Old 04-28-2018, 10:25 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Have Charles or the Queen visited their new grandson/great grandson yet?
Don't believe so....
Old 04-28-2018, 10:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Louis might not be my fav name (I would've liked Arthur as a first name), but I don't find it weird to have one of George's name has the new prince's main name. I share my second middle name which is Sofia with two of my cousins. My mom is called Ana and her sister (my aunt) is Ana too!!! (though they have different middle names and are known by those middle names). George might have Louis, but he is called George and Louis will be called Louis, so it's not confusing and it's not weird, and name sharing happens all the time.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
name sharing happens all the time.
I think [in my experience] that it is more usual in 'Mediterranean' Countries, and in South America.
However it is very unusual in the UK. Family 'favourites' are passed down the generations, very often [My Maternal Great-Grandmother, Grandmother, my Mother and my Sister all have or had 'Elizabeth' somewhere in their name] , but siblings rarely share a name, in any order.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:16 AM
Majesty

Its very common in the royal family... since names are used to honour relatives.. like you have Andrew Albert Christian Edward, and then Prince Edward.. Then there is James Philip Alexander Theo.. and William Arthur Philip Louis.....and of couse the name Elizabeth has been given to nearly most of the Q's granddaughters....
Old 04-28-2018, 11:35 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Can't see Prince Philip naming his son after a father that put his mother in an Asylum and abandoned him to be shunted among his relatives while going off to live with his latest mistress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
We see the same in Russia and other countries:

Anna Pavlovna Romanova (Anna, the daughter of Pavel Romanov)

Alexey Nicholaevich Romanov (Alexey, the son of Nicholas Romanov)

Maria Vladimirovna Romanova (Maria, the daughter of Vladimir Romanov)

Konstantinos Pavlos of Greece (Constantine, the son of Paul of Greece)

Philippos Andreas of Greece (Philip, the son of Andrew of Greece)
Quote:
Old 04-28-2018, 11:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frideswide View Post
Some people here have very old-fashioned ideas. The British Royal Family has moved on from the old days when monarchs overruled family members over names.

Well, I've always thought the Queen should have overruled Edward, when he named his son James.

James is a regnal name, which might be needed for the direct line.

I think the Cambridges might have chosen that, if it hadn't already been in use.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:58 AM
Heir Apparent

So to be on the safe side, when/if P.Harry has kids he shouldn't choose any name that a king could use? So he should stick with the "Buddy bear", "Saint" and "Honeyblossom" school of children's names?

I don't see the fuzz with using a name that was already in use, the Duke of Kent is called Edward and he wasn't close that to reigning either...
Old 04-28-2018, 12:03 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
So to be on the safe side, when/if P.Harry has kids he shouldn't choose any name that a king could use? So he should stick with the "Buddy bear", "Saint" and "Honeyblossom" school of children's names?

I don't see the fuzz with using a name that was already in use, the Duke of Kent is called Edward and he wasn't close that to reigning either...
For all the trouble KP went to, all the US media outlets insist on calling Louis, Lewis. It just sounds so odd!
Old 04-28-2018, 12:04 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Can't see Prince Philip naming his son after a father that put his mother in an Asylum and abandoned him to be shunted among his relatives while going off to live with his latest mistress.
Then why was Andrew called Andrew? No other reason for it....
Old 04-28-2018, 12:06 PM
Majesty

Maybe they just liked the name .
Old 04-28-2018, 12:08 PM
Aristocracy

I really don't get the fuss about Louis being one of George's names . How often will George be called George Alexander Louis instead of just George ?