The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #521  
Old 04-27-2018, 04:28 PM
Nico's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 2,797
Just realized it's also the name of one of Camilla's grandchildren ....
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #522  
Old 04-27-2018, 04:30 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 10,160
Ah, yes, Louis Lopes! (Laura's son).
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #523  
Old 04-27-2018, 04:35 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Bellevue, United States
Posts: 1,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
I think the delay was that they wanted to tell Charles in person since it was obviously such a tribute to him
What a lovely thought!

This is from the Telegraph, or at least the part you can read for free:

"And what a lovely name it is. It is also the perfect riposte to those who have, rather unkindly, suggested in recent days that there is some sort of animosity between the Duke and Prince Charles."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...d-best-friend/
Reply With Quote
  #524  
Old 04-27-2018, 05:30 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Oxford, United Kingdom
Posts: 266
I think the delay from yesterday was so they could announce the best man whilst Harry and William were doing a joint engagement. They only seem to do one thing at a time!
Reply With Quote
  #525  
Old 04-27-2018, 06:05 PM
ada's Avatar
ada ada is offline
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: pomona, Australia
Posts: 598
I would have loved Louis Michael Charles
Reply With Quote
  #526  
Old 04-27-2018, 06:51 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 12,817
I guess we didn't get a James Wessex/James Cambridge. But we got a Louise Wessex/Louis Cambridge. At least male/female.

Shocked. If they reused a name from George, would have expected Alexander.

And three kids down, and still not a single direct nod to the Middletons. George (queen's dad) Alexander (queen's middle) Louis (Louis Mountbatten). Charlotte (Charles) Elizabeth (queen) Diana (William's mother). Louis (as above) Arthur (middle name of William and Charles) Charles (grandpa). Yes Charlotte and Elizabeth are middle names in the Middleton family but fringe benefit at best. I would have actually preferred James, at least more direct nod to Middletons.

It seems the BRF has a way of ignoring the non-royal family, when it comes to choosing names. I like other royal families, while choosing a strong royal name, still honor the other side. Except for Gabriel, all the Swedish royal grandkids have at least one name from the other side (Estelle has Ewa for grandma, Oscar has Olof for dad, Leonor has Maria for grandma, Nicolas has Paul for grandpa, Adrienne has Josephine for Chris' grandmother, and Alex has Erik for grandpa). See that with the Dutch, Danish and other families too.

Actually Louis Arthur Michael flows better IMO then Charles. But oh well.

I don't think Michael was 'reserved' for Pippa. Can be used by both sisters.


But it is at least, in the masculine form, a newer name. So nice surprise from the usual repeat names.
Reply With Quote
  #527  
Old 04-27-2018, 06:54 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,981
We don’t know why they called the baby Louis we are just guessing. Kate might be a huge one direction fan. That’s what I’m going with
Reply With Quote
  #528  
Old 04-27-2018, 07:06 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,310
Charlotte is Pippa's middle name as well. Elizabeth Kate's middle name....and really do you think they are forcing her to agree to names she doesn't like or refusing to allow her input?

She's fine with it so nothing for us to go on about.


LaRae
Reply With Quote
  #529  
Old 04-27-2018, 07:21 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Washington, United States
Posts: 1,736
Louis is nice but not my favorite name. I am a little surprised that they haven't used one of the names of the Middletons but they are obviously very close to the family.

I tend to doubt that they used the name to honor Louis Mountbatten because neither Catherine or William ever knew him. There is no reason to think that William and Catherine weren't thinking of Diana's family when they chose the name.I know people who have used the names of long-dead relatives, but it is usually because they like the name and the family connection is a bonus.

Regardless, he is a beautiful baby. I hope Kate is getting some rest (and perhaps William can catch naps during upcoming official appearances).
Reply With Quote
  #530  
Old 04-27-2018, 07:25 PM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 9,868
I am not quite sure of the "naming" habits of the BRF. Who was Anne named after or Andrew for that matter? I think they too use names they like, I mean look at the number of people querying as to whether Charles will take a different Regnal name because of the unfortunate status of his predecessors. Elizabeth and Philip probably didn't give it a moment's thought.

On the other hand, while middle names have been used to honour those like dad, grandfather, etc. I don't believe they have ever bestowed a Christian name the same as anyone still living, hence no 'Philip' which most people would have thought a natural. Then again, the British don't seem to go with Snr or Jnr so there is that as well.
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
Reply With Quote
  #531  
Old 04-27-2018, 07:26 PM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Texas, United States
Posts: 3,690
Sad the Middleton family has no inclusion in the naming of their daughters children.
I'm happy to see Charles honored twice and that the name they chose isn't a boring overused one. Also hope this is the last child
Reply With Quote
  #532  
Old 04-27-2018, 07:36 PM
Missy-'s Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: The Beautiful PNW, United States
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I am not quite sure of the "naming" habits of the BRF. Who was Anne named after or Andrew for that matter? I think they too use names they like, I mean look at the number of people querying as to whether Charles will take a different Regnal name because of the unfortunate status of his predecessors. Elizabeth and Philip probably didn't give it a moment's thought.

On the other hand, while middle names have been used to honour those like dad, grandfather, etc. I don't believe they have ever bestowed a Christian name the same as anyone still living, hence no 'Philip' which most people would have thought a natural. Then again, the British don't seem to go with Snr or Jnr so there is that as well.
Andrew was Philip's father's name, I believe it's fairly popular in the Greek former royal family.

I had to look up who Anne was named after, found this interesting info:

'She was baptised Anne Elizabeth Alice Louise in the Music Room at Buckingham Palace by the Archbishop of York. Anne was the name originally chosen for Princess Margaret, by her parents, but vetoed by George V, who did not like the name.'

at this link:
Anne, Princess Royal

I think using Louis was honoring Philip without actually using his name. Lord Louis Mountbatten was Philip's surrogate father and to a large extent the same applies for Charles. He was arguably the most important man in both men's lives. It's mainly in their honor that the name was used IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #533  
Old 04-27-2018, 07:40 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Westfield, New Jersey, United States
Posts: 190
Congratulations Prince Louis!!

I really think the prince should have been named after his great-uncle. William could have honored Andrew with Albert or Christian.
Reply With Quote
  #534  
Old 04-27-2018, 07:47 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Anderson, United States
Posts: 715
I seem to look at the names by how they flow when you say them out loud. For example, with Queen Elizabeth, there is a nice rhythm and flow from Elizabeth to Alexandra to Mary. The same with Charles and Anne. George's name flows fairly well. Charlotte's starts out ok but the Diana at the end seems choppy. Louis' name doesn't flow at all. It is just all chopped up. But, he isn't my child, so it isn't my decision.
Reply With Quote
  #535  
Old 04-27-2018, 07:47 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 13,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
Louis is nice but not my favorite name. I am a little surprised that they haven't used one of the names of the Middletons but they are obviously very close to the family.

I tend to doubt that they used the name to honor Louis Mountbatten because neither Catherine or William ever knew him. There is no reason to think that William and Catherine weren't thinking of Diana's family when they chose the name.I know people who have used the names of long-dead relatives, but it is usually because they like the name and the family connection is a bonus.

Regardless, he is a beautiful baby. I hope Kate is getting some rest (and perhaps William can catch naps during upcoming official appearances).

Of course Louis is one of William's names. He would have been raised to understand what Louis Mountbatten meant to his family so why assume that just because he didn't meet him he doesn't know about him.

No one thinks that the children are being raised with no knowledge of Diana so why assume that a man who was so significant to Charles and Philip and even The Queen and whom William was named after had was not mentioned to William. He would very well know the influence of this man and what he meant to the family - after all he is named after him himself.
Reply With Quote
  #536  
Old 04-27-2018, 07:49 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 8,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Charlotte is Pippa's middle name as well. Elizabeth Kate's middle name....and really do you think they are forcing her to agree to names she doesn't like or refusing to allow her input?

She's fine with it so nothing for us to go on about.


LaRae
Elizabeth is also Carole’s middle name.
Reply With Quote
  #537  
Old 04-27-2018, 07:50 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 12,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Charlotte is Pippa's middle name as well. Elizabeth Kate's middle name....and really do you think they are forcing her to agree to names she doesn't like or refusing to allow her input?

She's fine with it so nothing for us to go on about.


LaRae
I did mention the fact Charlotte and Elizabeth were middle names of the family

Its 'fringe' benefits. Elizabeth was of course for the queen, it just happens to be an extra benefit it was Carole's middle name. If they chose to honor Carole or Pippa, an actual honor to them would be Philippa or Carole.


Did they put a gun to Kate and make her choose royal names? No. But is there likely pressure to choose 'royal names' for the kids, put on them? Yes, I think there highly is.

Look at the BRF names. Beyond Anne's kids, the only grandkids even who have names from their non-royal family, is James.

-William (royal) Arthur (royal) Philip (grandfather) Louis (great-Uncle)
-Henry (royal) Charles (dad) Albert (queen's father) David (royal)
-Beatrice (royal) Elizabeth (queen) Mary (royal)
-Eugenie (royal) Victoria (royal) Helena (royal)
-Louise (royal) alice (prince Philip) Elizabeth (queen) Mary (royal)
-James (royal) Alexander (royal) Philip (grandfather) Theo is for Sophie's grandfather

The queen did use some of her husband's family. But Philip's family was Greek royals on one side and former German royals on the other.

Charles (royal) Philip (dad) Arthur (royal) Louis (dad's side which is royal)
Anne (royal) Elizabeth (mom) Alice (grandmother) Louise (royal)
Andrew (grandfather) Albert (grandfather) Christian (royal) Edward (royal)
Edward (royal)Antony (uncle) Richard (queen's cousin) Louis (royal)

Quote:
I am not quite sure of the "naming" habits of the BRF. Who was Anne named after or Andrew for that matter? I think they too use names they like, I mean look at the number of people querying as to whether Charles will take a different Regnal name because of the unfortunate status of his predecessors. Elizabeth and Philip probably didn't give it a moment's thought.
Anne is a traditional British royal name, including the name of a Queen regnant.

Andrew would of course be Philip's father, prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark.

Quote:
I tend to doubt that they used the name to honor Louis Mountbatten because neither Catherine or William ever knew him. There is no reason to think that William and Catherine weren't thinking of Diana's family when they chose the name.I know people who have used the names of long-dead relatives, but it is usually because they like the name and the family connection is a bonus.
You think it more likely they named him for Viscount Althorp, then because of a dead relative??? Unless they plan to use Viscount Althorp as a godfather and decided to honor him, seems highly unlikely they were honoring him.

It likely has more to do with the fact that it is one of William's names. And is name held in high regard in the family.



The reality is with first names at least, they don't choose names because 'they are our favorite singer'. They choose names that have royal/family pedigree, to continue the family line.
Reply With Quote
  #538  
Old 04-27-2018, 08:00 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oxford, United Kingdom
Posts: 375
I think that Louis is probably a favourite name with one or both of the parents. They probably felt they had to give a previously regnal name to their first-born, so Louis was included as a middle name in case they didn't have any more sons. The pressure is off with their third child, so they felt free to give him the name they really wanted.

I think people read too much into names with regard to whom they may be "honouring". In some cases the parents just genuinely like the name.
Reply With Quote
  #539  
Old 04-27-2018, 08:12 PM
CyrilVladisla's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 7,619
The Guardian stated: The three names are popular choices recycled by the royal family.
King George I was originally George Louis.
Reply With Quote
  #540  
Old 04-27-2018, 08:24 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8,388
I'll bet he wasn't! I'd say the King was christened George Ludwig in Hanover.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
america archie mountbatten-windsor asian biography birth britannia british british royal family camilla camilla's family camilla parker-bowles camilla parker bowles carolin china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing coronation customs duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex edward vii elizabeth ii family life family tree fashion and style gemstones genetics george vi gradenigo gustaf vi adolf harry and meghan henry viii highgrove history hochberg house of windsor hypothetical monarchs jack brooksbank japan history king edward vii king juan carlos liechtenstein line of succession list of rulers medical meghan markle monarchist movements monarchists monarchy mongolia mountbatten names pless politics prince harry queen consort queen elizabeth ii queen louise queen victoria royal ancestry speech st edward sussex suthida swedish queen taiwan tradition unfinished portrait united states of america wales welsh


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:04 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×