The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-27-2018, 04:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Just realized it's also the name of one of Camilla's grandchildren ....

Old 04-27-2018, 04:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Ah, yes, Louis Lopes! (Laura's son).

Old 04-27-2018, 04:35 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
I think the delay was that they wanted to tell Charles in person since it was obviously such a tribute to him
What a lovely thought!

This is from the Telegraph, or at least the part you can read for free:

"And what a lovely name it is. It is also the perfect riposte to those who have, rather unkindly, suggested in recent days that there is some sort of animosity between the Duke and Prince Charles."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...d-best-friend/
Old 04-27-2018, 05:30 PM
Nobility

I think the delay from yesterday was so they could announce the best man whilst Harry and William were doing a joint engagement. They only seem to do one thing at a time!
Old 04-27-2018, 06:05 PM
Courtier

I would have loved Louis Michael Charles
Old 04-27-2018, 06:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

I guess we didn't get a James Wessex/James Cambridge. But we got a Louise Wessex/Louis Cambridge. At least male/female.

Shocked. If they reused a name from George, would have expected Alexander.

And three kids down, and still not a single direct nod to the Middletons. George (queen's dad) Alexander (queen's middle) Louis (Louis Mountbatten). Charlotte (Charles) Elizabeth (queen) Diana (William's mother). Louis (as above) Arthur (middle name of William and Charles) Charles (grandpa). Yes Charlotte and Elizabeth are middle names in the Middleton family but fringe benefit at best. I would have actually preferred James, at least more direct nod to Middletons.

It seems the BRF has a way of ignoring the non-royal family, when it comes to choosing names. I like other royal families, while choosing a strong royal name, still honor the other side. Except for Gabriel, all the Swedish royal grandkids have at least one name from the other side (Estelle has Ewa for grandma, Oscar has Olof for dad, Leonor has Maria for grandma, Nicolas has Paul for grandpa, Adrienne has Josephine for Chris' grandmother, and Alex has Erik for grandpa). See that with the Dutch, Danish and other families too.

Actually Louis Arthur Michael flows better IMO then Charles. But oh well.

I don't think Michael was 'reserved' for Pippa. Can be used by both sisters.

But it is at least, in the masculine form, a newer name. So nice surprise from the usual repeat names.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

We don’t know why they called the baby Louis we are just guessing. Kate might be a huge one direction fan. That’s what I’m going with
Old 04-27-2018, 07:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

Charlotte is Pippa's middle name as well. Elizabeth Kate's middle name....and really do you think they are forcing her to agree to names she doesn't like or refusing to allow her input?

She's fine with it so nothing for us to go on about.

LaRae
Old 04-27-2018, 07:21 PM
Royal Highness

Louis is nice but not my favorite name. I am a little surprised that they haven't used one of the names of the Middletons but they are obviously very close to the family.

I tend to doubt that they used the name to honor Louis Mountbatten because neither Catherine or William ever knew him. There is no reason to think that William and Catherine weren't thinking of Diana's family when they chose the name.I know people who have used the names of long-dead relatives, but it is usually because they like the name and the family connection is a bonus.

Regardless, he is a beautiful baby. I hope Kate is getting some rest (and perhaps William can catch naps during upcoming official appearances).
Old 04-27-2018, 07:25 PM
Majesty

I am not quite sure of the "naming" habits of the BRF. Who was Anne named after or Andrew for that matter? I think they too use names they like, I mean look at the number of people querying as to whether Charles will take a different Regnal name because of the unfortunate status of his predecessors. Elizabeth and Philip probably didn't give it a moment's thought.

On the other hand, while middle names have been used to honour those like dad, grandfather, etc. I don't believe they have ever bestowed a Christian name the same as anyone still living, hence no 'Philip' which most people would have thought a natural. Then again, the British don't seem to go with Snr or Jnr so there is that as well.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Sad the Middleton family has no inclusion in the naming of their daughters children.
I'm happy to see Charles honored twice and that the name they chose isn't a boring overused one. Also hope this is the last child
Old 04-27-2018, 07:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I am not quite sure of the "naming" habits of the BRF. Who was Anne named after or Andrew for that matter? I think they too use names they like, I mean look at the number of people querying as to whether Charles will take a different Regnal name because of the unfortunate status of his predecessors. Elizabeth and Philip probably didn't give it a moment's thought.

On the other hand, while middle names have been used to honour those like dad, grandfather, etc. I don't believe they have ever bestowed a Christian name the same as anyone still living, hence no 'Philip' which most people would have thought a natural. Then again, the British don't seem to go with Snr or Jnr so there is that as well.
Andrew was Philip's father's name, I believe it's fairly popular in the Greek former royal family.

I had to look up who Anne was named after, found this interesting info:

'She was baptised Anne Elizabeth Alice Louise in the Music Room at Buckingham Palace by the Archbishop of York. Anne was the name originally chosen for Princess Margaret, by her parents, but vetoed by George V, who did not like the name.'

at this link:
Anne, Princess Royal

I think using Louis was honoring Philip without actually using his name. Lord Louis Mountbatten was Philip's surrogate father and to a large extent the same applies for Charles. He was arguably the most important man in both men's lives. It's mainly in their honor that the name was used IMO.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:40 PM
Aristocracy

Congratulations Prince Louis!!

I really think the prince should have been named after his great-uncle. William could have honored Andrew with Albert or Christian.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:47 PM
Courtier

I seem to look at the names by how they flow when you say them out loud. For example, with Queen Elizabeth, there is a nice rhythm and flow from Elizabeth to Alexandra to Mary. The same with Charles and Anne. George's name flows fairly well. Charlotte's starts out ok but the Diana at the end seems choppy. Louis' name doesn't flow at all. It is just all chopped up. But, he isn't my child, so it isn't my decision.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
Louis is nice but not my favorite name. I am a little surprised that they haven't used one of the names of the Middletons but they are obviously very close to the family.

I tend to doubt that they used the name to honor Louis Mountbatten because neither Catherine or William ever knew him. There is no reason to think that William and Catherine weren't thinking of Diana's family when they chose the name.I know people who have used the names of long-dead relatives, but it is usually because they like the name and the family connection is a bonus.

Regardless, he is a beautiful baby. I hope Kate is getting some rest (and perhaps William can catch naps during upcoming official appearances).

Of course Louis is one of William's names. He would have been raised to understand what Louis Mountbatten meant to his family so why assume that just because he didn't meet him he doesn't know about him.

No one thinks that the children are being raised with no knowledge of Diana so why assume that a man who was so significant to Charles and Philip and even The Queen and whom William was named after had was not mentioned to William. He would very well know the influence of this man and what he meant to the family - after all he is named after him himself.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:49 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Charlotte is Pippa's middle name as well. Elizabeth Kate's middle name....and really do you think they are forcing her to agree to names she doesn't like or refusing to allow her input?

LaRae
Elizabeth is also Carole’s middle name.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post

LaRae
I did mention the fact Charlotte and Elizabeth were middle names of the family

Its 'fringe' benefits. Elizabeth was of course for the queen, it just happens to be an extra benefit it was Carole's middle name. If they chose to honor Carole or Pippa, an actual honor to them would be Philippa or Carole.

Did they put a gun to Kate and make her choose royal names? No. But is there likely pressure to choose 'royal names' for the kids, put on them? Yes, I think there highly is.

Look at the BRF names. Beyond Anne's kids, the only grandkids even who have names from their non-royal family, is James.

-William (royal) Arthur (royal) Philip (grandfather) Louis (great-Uncle)
-Henry (royal) Charles (dad) Albert (queen's father) David (royal)
-Beatrice (royal) Elizabeth (queen) Mary (royal)
-Eugenie (royal) Victoria (royal) Helena (royal)
-Louise (royal) alice (prince Philip) Elizabeth (queen) Mary (royal)
-James (royal) Alexander (royal) Philip (grandfather) Theo is for Sophie's grandfather

The queen did use some of her husband's family. But Philip's family was Greek royals on one side and former German royals on the other.

Charles (royal) Philip (dad) Arthur (royal) Louis (dad's side which is royal)
Anne (royal) Elizabeth (mom) Alice (grandmother) Louise (royal)
Andrew (grandfather) Albert (grandfather) Christian (royal) Edward (royal)
Edward (royal)Antony (uncle) Richard (queen's cousin) Louis (royal)

Quote:
Anne is a traditional British royal name, including the name of a Queen regnant.

Andrew would of course be Philip's father, prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark.

Quote:
You think it more likely they named him for Viscount Althorp, then because of a dead relative??? Unless they plan to use Viscount Althorp as a godfather and decided to honor him, seems highly unlikely they were honoring him.

It likely has more to do with the fact that it is one of William's names. And is name held in high regard in the family.

The reality is with first names at least, they don't choose names because 'they are our favorite singer'. They choose names that have royal/family pedigree, to continue the family line.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:00 PM
Nobility

I think that Louis is probably a favourite name with one or both of the parents. They probably felt they had to give a previously regnal name to their first-born, so Louis was included as a middle name in case they didn't have any more sons. The pressure is off with their third child, so they felt free to give him the name they really wanted.

I think people read too much into names with regard to whom they may be "honouring". In some cases the parents just genuinely like the name.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:12 PM
Majesty

The Guardian stated: The three names are popular choices recycled by the royal family.
King George I was originally George Louis.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:24 PM
Majesty

I'll bet he wasn't! I'd say the King was christened George Ludwig in Hanover.