The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-27-2018, 02:29 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Do we know where the Charlotte in Pippa Middleton's name comes from?

I'm wondering, given the lack of any Middleton nods in this name, if Charlotte is actually named after the person that Pippa's middle name comes from? (I hope I explained that well!)

Then George would be named after William's side, Charlotte from Catherine's, and then Louis from William's...
Catherine did have several distant grandmothers named Charlotte but the nearest two were several generations back - both were her 3x great-grandmothers, one on her father's side, the other on her mother's.

I have no idea if that's where Pippa's middle name came from. Perhaps she was named after a closer relative - maybe a great-aunt -who may have been named after one of these distant grandmothers. I don't know enough about the family to know.

Old 04-27-2018, 02:33 PM
Courtier

Sorry if I missed it, but I'm just getting caught up. Do we know for certain that they are using the French pronunciation? Wasn't Montbatten pronounced lew-is?

I love the name, it's a strong nod to Phillip and Charles as Uncle Dickie was such a hugely important part of both men's lives. I would have preferred Arthur as the first name, though, just personal preference.

Old 04-27-2018, 02:34 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
I was on Team Philip, so I'm a bit disappointed. However, it shouldn't be a surprise since it's one of William's names, as well as one of George's names.
So, William gave his son 2 of his 4 names. Only Charles is different. And the baby prince also shares two names with his grandfather, only Louis they don't share.

I knew they were traditional but giving your son of only three names you previously used?! And no nod to the Middletons at all? Disappointed... but hope the little prince himself won't mind...
Old 04-27-2018, 02:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori138 View Post
Since Princess Madeline of Sweden lives in London wouldn't it be nice to see, in the future, a marriage between the Cambridges and the O'Neills? George and Adrienne or even George and Leonor.
Neat idea but I doubt we ever see another royal marry royal again.

LaRae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy- View Post
Sorry if I missed it, but I'm just getting caught up. Do we know for certain that they are using the French pronunciation? Wasn't Montbatten pronounced lew-is?

I love the name, it's a strong nod to Phillip and Charles as Uncle Dickie was such a hugely important part of both men's lives. I would have preferred Arthur as the first name, though, just personal preference.

Yes it's Louis, in the French pronunciation.

LaRae
Old 04-27-2018, 02:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Yes it's Louis, in the French pronunciation.

LaRae
Thanks LaRae. I'm not questioning whether you're right or not, but how do we know? Was it announced?
Old 04-27-2018, 02:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
how do we know? Was it announced?
No, but all the broadcast media in the UK are utilising that pronunciation . ALL of them..
Old 04-27-2018, 02:48 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Neat idea but I doubt we ever see another royal marry royal again.

LaRae

Over the past 80 years or so, there have been at least 3 proposed Swedish/British matches:
  1. The future King Edward VIII (or his younger brother) and Princess Ingrid of Sweden (later Queen Ingrid of Denmark).
  2. King Carl XVI Gustaf and Princess Anne (later the Princess Royal).
  3. Prince William of Wales (later the Duke of Cambridge) and Princess Madeleine of Sweden

The Swedish and British royal houses have great synergy in terms of both being Protestant royal houses and with princes and princesses in similar age groups. Besides, King Gustaf VI Adolf was married twice to descendants of Queen Victoria(Margaret of Connaught and Louise Mountbatten), thus setting a precedent. I wouldn't be surprised if , in the next generation, Prince George is also paired by the media with Princess Leonore to keep up with tradition, even if, as in the three cases mentioned above, the suggested match doesn't go anywhere again.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:49 PM
Majesty

Welcome, Prince Louis! #royalbabyname

Via Lego Twitter

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DbycPhLX0AUzWZ_.jpg

Lego Cambridge family
Old 04-27-2018, 02:52 PM
Nobility

It was also the way it was pronounced for Earl Mountbatten of Burma, it is the way The Duchess of Cambridge pronounced it on her wedding day, William Arthur Philip Louis, and it is the way ut was pronounced when George was born George Alexander Louis
Old 04-27-2018, 02:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post

Via Lego Twitter

Lego Cambridge family
That's awesome.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy- View Post

In their wedding vows, William pronounces it as in the French. Go to https://www.townandcountrymag.com/so...ce-louis-name/ scroll down to the video and go in about 1 minute.

Quote:

Via Lego Twitter

Lego Cambridge family
So cute but it took me a while to figure out where Louis was
Old 04-27-2018, 03:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince Louis Arthur Charles of Cambridge. Okay. It works. (But I lost my bet big time! ) Particularly like Charles being in there, makes it sound classy. Poor Arthur: always a bridesmaid, never the bride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I woukd have preferred Arthur as the first name, but so be it. The delay may be associated with pressure from the RF to include Charles in the name.
Good grief!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
What on earth ? Conspiracy theory anyone? There's always a naysayer during such happy times ...
Agree! William being William I doubt he does anything he does not want to do, so that this inclusion of the name Charles is sweet beyond all sweetness, as well as making the whole of the name sound very classy (already said that).
Old 04-27-2018, 03:23 PM
Nobility

Already been corrected thanks!

(Regarding Queen Elizabeth II) " She isn't descended from Charles I onwards ..."

I'm pretty sure the Queen is actually a descendant of King Charles I and King Charles II through illegitimate lines through her mother.

And didn't Diana bring descent through illegitimate lines from King James II?

And I'm pleasantly surprised about Louis!
Old 04-27-2018, 03:27 PM
Majesty

The Queen isn’t a descendant of Charles I or II. William will be the first monarch descendant from Charles II (via Diana) and the first monarch since Queen Anne to descend from Charles I
Old 04-27-2018, 03:34 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Prince Louis Arthur Charles of Cambridge. Okay. It works. (But I lost my bet big time! ) Particularly like Charles being in there, makes it sound classy. Poor Arthur: always a bridesmaid, never the bride.

Good grief!

Agree! William being William I doubt he does anything he does not want to do, so that this inclusion of the name Charles is sweet beyond all sweetness, as well as making the whole of the name sound very classy (already said that).

I think the delay was that they wanted to tell Charles in person since it was obviously such a tribute to him
Old 04-27-2018, 03:36 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

As usual; when life gets busier, new exciting announcements are made! Congratulations to the Cambridges and welcome to the world sweet little Prince Louis

I didn't expect Louis but given the associations with Louis Mountbatten it's not a surprising choice; either. I'm just happy that we managed to see Arthur somewhere in the name and that my original gender guess of a boy was correct! I think Louis Arthur Charles is a handsome name and Prince Louis of Cambridge has a very nice ring to it.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 04-27-2018, 03:41 PM
Nobility

The Queen is a descendent of King James I of England and the VI of Scotland, father of King Charles I and Grand father of King Charles II and King James II. She is a descendent of James I through his daughter Elizabeth Stuart, mother of Sophia Electress of Hanover, mother of King George I of Great Britain
Old 04-27-2018, 03:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
I think the delay was that they wanted to tell Charles in person since it was obviously such a tribute to him
Now that's an interesting possibility. Plus the fact that the entire name has connections to Charles: the name Charles itself, of course, and the name Louis connected to Charles' beloved uncle (the grandfather he never had), and Arthur being the name Charles was keen to name a son (would love to know why he likes that name ). So the entire name seems (or could be taken to so seem) a tribute to Charles, which is a lovely thing to do.

The surmise that the announcement did not take place because of Anzac Day seems to me the more likely reason for the delay. Just a hunch. Would have loved to see that reveal, though. Imagine Charles' delight. Nicely done, William and Kate (though not sure I can forgive the Louis for the bet I lost! )
Old 04-27-2018, 03:48 PM
Nobility

Quote:
The Queen isn’t a descendant of Charles I or II. William will be the first monarch descendant from Charles II (via Diana) and the first monarch since Queen Anne to descend from Charles I
Thanks. I looked it up and see that you're correct and that in addition to Charles I and Charles II, William is in fact a direct descendant of King James II, so he will be the first monarch descended from that king since Queen Anne.

So If he does become king will he be descended from all former monarchs of Great Britain that have descendants except for King William IV?
Old 04-27-2018, 03:49 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Now that's an interesting possibility. Plus the fact that the entire name has connections to Charles: the name Charles itself, of course, and the name Louis connected to Charles' beloved uncle (the grandfather he never had), and Arthur being the name Charles was keen to name a son (would love to know why he likes that name ). So the entire name seems (or could be taken to so seem) a tribute to Charles, which is a lovely thing to do.

The surmise that the announcement did not take place because of Anzac Day seems to me the more likely reason for the delay. Just a hunch. Would have loved to see that reveal, though. Imagine Charles' delight. Nicely done, William and Kate (though not sure I can forgive the Louis for the bet I lost! )
Thrilled to see Charles in the name!