The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-27-2018, 08:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

Why all that guess who is named after who? The parents like it. See Sweden: Estelle, Nicholas, Alexander, Gabriel. Ultimately it is what the parents like.

Old 04-27-2018, 08:05 AM
Nobility

Talking

Although the current monarch, House of Windsor, is not directly related to the House of Stuart, keep in mind that HM Queen Henrietta Maria of England; wife of HM King Charles I of England, mother of HM King Charles II of England and of James II of England, grandmother of HM Queen Mary II, and Queen Anne, was born SAR Princesse Marie Henriette de France, daughter of King Henri IV, first Bourbon King of France, Sister of King Louis XIII, and Aunt of King Louis XIV the Sun King. She is the one who introduced the custom to title the first daughter of the monarch, Princess Royal, because at the court of france the first daughter of the monarch was title Madame Royale.

In fact her first daughter HRH Princess Mary, was the first Princess Royal. HRH Princess Mary's son married Queen Mary II and went on to reign as William III of England. Her younger daughter HRH Princess Henrietta of England, married HRH Prince Philippe of France, Duke of Orleans, bother of King Louis XIV and founder of the House of Orleans, a cadet branch of the House of Bourbon. After the death of Charles I, Queen Henrietta Maria and her daughter Henrietta, lived at Palais Royal, the Official Residence of the Duke of Orleans, next to the Louvre.

Though i am stretching it a bit, the link to France is there if one want to look for it. But this boy is mainly named Louis like his father after Earl Louis Mountbatten, who was assassinated by the IRA and was very close to Prince Charles.

Old 04-27-2018, 08:08 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Why all that guess who is named after who? The parents like it. See Sweden: Estelle, Nicholas, Alexander, Gabriel. Ultimately it is what the parents like.
Because in the British Royal Family the names are usually connected to past members if the RF. Par example, Eugenie Victoria Helena is named after Victoria Eugenie of Spain and Princess Helena of Schleswig-Holstein. You can find a connection in every name pratically.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

What an interesting choice! All three of those were names that I had thought might be possibilities, but not in that order.

I'm assuming that Louis is a nod to Dickie Mountbatten, who had such a huge influence on Charles (whether that's a good thing might be open to debate, but, oh well), but it still seems like an unexpected choice.

Isn't it fun that after pages and pages of speculation on this forum, the Duke and Duchess were able to surprise us?

It's a good name!
Old 04-27-2018, 08:16 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Louis is quite a surprise - being already used in George's middle names.

Im not sure i overly like the combo.

Old 04-27-2018, 08:17 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by crm2317 View Post
I do think it’s a shame that Michael wasn’t included. However Mr Middleton seems like the type of quiet and unassuming gentleman who wouldn’t mind.
Maybe there is a very simple reason why they haven't included the names of Mr. Middleton. I know I would have a problem with the names of my father because I really am not font of both of them. I would include the firstname if I had to, but I rather would talk to him and tell him the truth. And my dad would be more happy for me to be honest than he would push for one of his names. Maybe Catherine hade the same feelings about her fathers names and that is the reason they're not included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
Yes, they really surprised us! They reused Louis (one of George's names) and honored Charles once again (as they did with Charlotte), contrary to what many of us predicted. Completely unexpected!

Charles (Philip Arthur George) is actually honered in all his three grandchildren which I think is a nice gesture to the future king.

I'm a firm supporter of fair chance's.
Use your chance, Sofia. You're doing a fine job so far.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:21 AM
Majesty

As the world waited for the arrival of the royal baby, we were heralding our very own special delivery - a tiny, double humped Bactrian camel calf, born on Monday morning, has now been named in honour of the new Prince Louis!! #RoyalBabyName

Via Blackpool Zoo Twitter

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DbyFJSIXcAAFMC9?format=jpg&name=large
Old 04-27-2018, 08:30 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
The 's' is silent.

NEVER had a Prince Louis before in the United Kingdom, so the Cambridge's , so often slated as 'unoriginal', have 'broken new ground' indeed.
But Louis, Earl Mountbatten of Burma, the emblematic figure in the lives of the Duke of Edinburgh and the Prince of Wales, would have been a Prince of Battenberg, if the Battenbergs hadn't renounced their German names and titles out of loyalty to King George and the United Kingdom, so it's a name that runs in the family, and which brings memories of someone so dear to William's father and grandfather. I was hoping they would choose this name and I'm really glad they did!
Old 04-27-2018, 08:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
Isn't it fun that after pages and pages of speculation on this forum, the Duke and Duchess were able to surprise us?

It's a good name!
Personally, i think that's why it took so long for the name to be announced; they had to browse all the pages here first

I would never have guessed the names, but i like them (and i like P.Charles getting a mention).

Maybe P.Philip is one of those people who says to his family "i don't care what you do after i'm dead, but while i'm still here, don't name your kids after me"
Old 04-27-2018, 08:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinking View Post
Although the current monarch, House of Windsor, is not directly related to the House of Stuart
I would call a direct descendant someone who is 'directly related'.

The Queen's claim to the throne comes from her descent from the Stuarts - James I and VI and back from him to Mary Queen of Scots and from there back through Stuarts and Tudors to Plantagenets and Normans.

She isn't descended from Charles I onwards but the present BRF are direct descendants of the first Stuart King of England whose daughter was the mother of the Electress Sophia of Hanover.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:36 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRohan View Post
There is such a wibe around the name Philip, it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if that was it. I think I’ll venture a little guess, that it will be Prince Philip Arthur Michael - and let’s see how far off that will be in the end :)
Haha well, I was right with the middle name - There was something about Arthur that just rang well :)
Old 04-27-2018, 08:39 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat2006 View Post
Maybe there is a very simple reason why they haven't included the names of Mr. Middleton. I know I would have a problem with the names of my father because I really am not font of both of them.
He may not love his name or want it to be passed on. At one point when I was pregnant my husband and I were considering using my mother-in-law's name as a potential girl's name and, thankfully, told her so. She informed us she'd never really liked her name and that she'd be sad if it were continued on for another generation. She asked us to please not honor her that way.

Names are tricky things to settle on for a regular family, and often trickier to sort out as you move past the first son and first daughter. I can only imagine how complicated it must be for royals who know that the whole world will be dissecting their choice...and who give their children more names than many of the rest of us do. Add in the factor that two people they're close to, Zara and Pippa, are also expecting babies whose names will also be highly publicized. There could very well have been calls around the group to ask "what names are you considering? We don't want to make these kids 'name twins!'"
Old 04-27-2018, 08:43 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariazil View Post
But Louis, Earl Mountbatten of Burma, the emblematic figure in the lives of the Duke of Edinburgh and the Prince of Wales, would have been a Prince of Battenberg, if the Battenbergs hadn't renounced their German names and titles out of loyalty to King George and the United Kingdom, so it's a name that runs in the family, and which brings memories of someone so dear to William's father and grandfather. I was hoping they would choose this name and I'm really glad they did!
And don't forget that Earl Mountbatten of Burma was the matchmaker between his nephew HRH Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark and the then HRH The Princess Elizabeth
Old 04-27-2018, 08:46 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I somehow (partially) agree with. Of course they will consider more for the first child/the heir, but sometimes I think they just pick a typical royal name they like for the younger kid.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:47 AM
Commoner

Well, the announcement has been made! It is LOUIS ARTHUR CHARLES.

I really didn't expect them to repeat a name that Prince George was already using "Louis". I can't argue with Arthur or Charles as those were expected.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:53 AM
Nobility

Not a fan of any of the names. :(
Old 04-27-2018, 08:56 AM
Commoner

Well, I am surprised by the name of "Louis" as it is already one of Prince George's names. I can't argue against Arthur or Charles because those were expected. I thought for sure they would have included Philip in the name as well???

My prediction back in December was Edward Arthur Philip.
Actual name Louis Arthur Charles. Only one out of three this time around. Now we wait for Prince Harry's kids and start all over.

Ohh, is it too early for predictions on Prince Louis' future title? I see Duke of York in his future.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:00 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
Personally, i think that's why it took so long for the name to be announced; they had to browse all the pages here first

I would never have guessed the names, but i like them (and i like P.Charles getting a mention).

Maybe P.Philip is one of those people who says to his family "i don't care what you do after i'm dead, but while i'm still here, don't name your kids after me"

Prince Philip has been honored a few times before, but not as first name
Prince Charles Philip Arthur George
Prince William Arthur Philip Louis
James Alexander Philip Theo (James, Viscount Severn)

as for the Louis(e):
Prince Edward Antony Richard Louis
Princess Anne Elizabeth Alice Louise
Louise Alice Elizabeth Mary (Lady Louise Windsor)

Old 04-27-2018, 09:00 AM
Aristocracy

I certainly didn't except this but the name is good. Although they didn'thonor Catherine's parents this time.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:02 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Perhaps the next one! Or..maybe they are leaving that for Pippa and James to use.

LaRae
It's definitely possible they're leaving Michael for Pippa to use as, in addition to being the name of Mr. Middleton, Michael was the name of James Matthews' late brother who passed in his early 20s while climbing Mt. Everest.

If Pippa has a boy I'd be unsurprised if his first or middle name was Michael after James' late brother (with placement depending on the couple's taste and whether Spencer Matthews and Vogue Williams use it as a first name for their son).