The Birth of HRH Prince Louis of Cambridge: April 23, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The 's' is silent.

NEVER had a Prince Louis before in the United Kingdom, so the Cambridge's , so often slated as 'unoriginal', have 'broken new ground' indeed.

Is it pronounced as in French then ? Americans pronounce it as in English.

That is very unusual (and not very Hanovarian!) I like it though, I think, and it goes well with George and Charlotte. Perhaps after Louis Mountbatten, Prince Philip's uncle and his father Prince Louis Battenberg?

Although Charlotte has Hanoverian connections, it is interesting that they have chosen two French names ( Charlotte and Louis)..

King George Iiii’s father was named Frederick Louis though.

Last edited:
Sad that it will be LouiE instead of LouiS. But in my head I will pronounce the portuguese way with emphasis on the S, Luis that is (I wonder if in Spain is Luis too).

Definitely surprised at Louis, would have liked to see Philip or Catherine’s father honoured.

i was on team anything but arthur or albert...so im happy..

he never said it would be a strong name...a guy suggested alexander and he said funny u should say that and the guy jerry said you should pick jerry and he said that was a strong name..he never said his son would have a strong name...the media made that up..

i wasnt completely surprised by the name bc he used it for george and he must've really liked that part of his name to use it again..also a nice tribute to prince philips side of the family.

i dont think they were holding out on using Philip..bc of zara..she might be having a girl..she prob doesnt know...i always thought that philip would be the type of person to not want to be honored like that...like most people would be flattered but..he might get embarassed maybe...so im not shocked philip wasnt used...i always thought philip wouldnt want to be honored liked that..

Last edited:
Louis was name of this baby’s 4GreatsGrandfather Louis IV Grand Duke of Hesse, who married Queen Victoria’s daughter Alice, their daughter married Louis of Battenburg, they were Prince Philip’s grandparents. It was also name of young Louis 3greatsUncle, Lord Mountbatten #Louis

Via Alastair Bruce Twitter

Prince Louis of Cambridge I really it but would never have guessed it correctly in a million years.

Still very surprised as it's very French to me, but Louis is a nice name.

Although Charlotte has Hanoverian connections, it is interesting that they have chosen two French names ( Charlotte and Louis)..

King George Iiii’s father was named Frederick Louis though.
Yeah I never quite understood it because Louis is kinda-sorta a Hanoverian name, except that the person is named Ludwig in German but then in Britain the name gets remade into the French sounding Louis.

Last edited:
Louis is a very strong name in Prince Philiip's family so it's a lovely touch. Not just his uncle and grandfather (who was the Battenburg who created the Mountbatten name), but Philip's 2, 3, 4, and I think 5x Gr Grandfathers on the Hesse line were all named Louis (if I've read this chart correctly).

That strikes me as a lovely way to honour Philip without actually using Philip as a name, and I think that may be the kind of thing Prince Philip (who seems to want very little fuss for his funeral etc) may appreciate more.

I was on Team Philip, so I'm a bit disappointed. However, it shouldn't be a surprise since it's one of William's names, as well as one of George's names.

Mmmmm...... have to say I'm not a fan. I'd have liked to see Michael in there. I don't particularly like the name but feel Catherine's side of the family have been left out a bit (and yes, I know Charlotte is Pippa's middle name.......)

Maybe it'll grow on me - I like Arthur!

Inwoukd have preferred Arthur as the first name, but so be it. The delay may be associated with pressure from the RF to include Charles in the name.

What on earth ? :eek: Conspiracy theory anyone ? There's always a naysayer during such happy times ...

Anyway.

Thank you William and Kate for this über royal name, and a French one with that ! :flowers:

IIRC there's a Teck connection too for the name Louis Cambridge

LaRae

I was on Team Philip, so I'm a bit disappointed. However, it shouldn't be a surprise since it's one of William's names, as well as one of George's names.

I don't think that Philip would want the baby's first name to be Phil.. but I would like to have seen it used as his second name.. Louis Philip Charles? or for once the pair could have use a Middleton name.. and gone for Louis Philip Michael...

What a pleasant surprise and a real surprise it is. I wonder how much the bookies had to pay out on that name. I don't even think that Louis was in the running. Was it?

I do have to admit to having a bit of a chuckle when first hearing the baby's name. With the Cambridge's having three children now, they could be nicknamed Huey, Dewey and Louie.

Think I need some coffee here. :D

Adding on to my previous comment:

I think Prince Louis of Battenburg, later Louis Mountbatten, was among the first, if not the first, to be named Louis and not Ludwig.

So while French sounding, both Charlotte and Louis have German / Hanoverian roots.

Yes - Queen Mary's father was Francis Paul Charles Louis Alexander of Teck.

Queen Mary's mother had been born a Princess of Cambridge as her father held that Dukedom when she was born.

I think the Louis is a nice nod to Philip without actually using Philip.

I like seeing Charles in there - and with Charlotte being the feminine form of Charles it seems that two of his grandchildren have, in one way or another his first name and three of his own names have been used - Charles, Arthur and George.

Wow, a French name,disappointed....
Sorry not a fan at all, but is not my son..

Yayyyyy! I could do without "Arthur" but as long as it's not going to be his first name I am more than OK with it.

The Francophile in me is thrilled with the name.?

I love that they are honoring the Prince of Wales as well!

Last edited:
Mmmmm...... have to say I'm not a fan. I'd have liked to see Michael in there. I don't particularly like the name but feel Catherine's side of the family have been left out a bit (and yes, I know Charlotte is Pippa's middle name.......)

I feel the same way.
Louis isn't a name I particularly care for but then- I'm relieved it wasn't Albert!

Besides, I think Louis is quite a popular name among the aristocracy.

Yayyyyy! I could do without "Arthur" but as long as it's not going to be his first name I am OK with it.

The Francophile in me is thrilled with the name

I loved that are honoring the Prince of Wales as well.?
And he was actually double honoured as his full name is Charles Philip Arthur George. So his new grandson has 2 of his names. Pity that the did not also honour the maternal grandfather.

It was popular in the 1990s I think. I know Charles, Earl Spencer called the only son of his first marriage Louis.

Back
Top Bottom